timtam
10-24-2007, 12:42 PM
I just looked on ebay and noticed Richard Johnson was selling his systems

on an immediate buy set up. This is an excellent way to reach millions of

people without paying a penny to advertise and can sell all his systems

many times over. I'm really surprised more people aren't using this outlet

to contact people with horse racing interests. I'm not knocking it or

promoting it but I think it is a clever way to reach out and get noticed

in a legal, quick, and hopefully profitable endevour.

mrharness
10-24-2007, 01:57 PM
Don't have any eBay experience. Doesn't eBay charge something?

njcurveball
10-24-2007, 02:28 PM
Ebay charges to list as well as sell. Many still think it is free. For example to list a $20 item, costs are 60 cents and 5.25% of the closing value.

So for a $20 book, he saves advertising, but gives Ebay more than $1 per book. Not a bad fee though!

I am sure there are more details, see the link below.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/fees.html

Tom Barrister
10-24-2007, 03:17 PM
Johnson often sells his wares when Ebay is offering free listing. That way, he doesn't pay a dime unless his item sells.

equicom
11-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I'd be a bit skeptical about something in this category of products that you can buy on e-Bay for $20 though. Do you think it is legit? The image that keeps coming into my mind is those guys in Eastern Europe who sell radios in carparks and you open the box up and find you've paid $10 for a brick.

Overlay
11-18-2007, 06:32 AM
As far as I know from my selling experience on eBay, you have to sell on an individual auction-style item basis until you have a minimum of ten favorable buyer feedbacks on your items/transactions (so that you have a record of dependability and responsiveness established). At that point, they'll let you sell on a continuing fixed-price basis, where the customer has a "buy-it-now" option, and doesn't have to competitively bid for the item, or wait for an auction to conclude. (Of course, as noted above, eBay also takes its cut of the price, but you're probably reaching people who might not otherwise locate or know about an individual seller's website.) (If you have a site, you can always include a link to it, so that people can read more about your products if they want to, but you then pretty much have to offer a break on the starting price as an inducement to buy on eBay if you're selling auction-style.)

timtam
11-19-2007, 09:53 AM
I see you got one up on ebay now so you must know what your talking about!

Donnie
11-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Ebay is a great place to sell your extra stuff as well. Old systems, old books, old software products. But beware! When I look at buying something, I always try to ensure they are original copies/works. I will email the seller asking if they are originals. I do this especially if their scanned copy looks REAL clean.....however some of us do take exceptional care of our books and stuff. I have some Sartin Followups that have been in acetate bags since I got them. But if the scan looks brand new, watch out. I always use a scan of the actual product I am selling.....look at this auction I am currently running....I coulda used a stock photo, but you can see the crease in the upper right corner. http://cgi.ebay.com/Handicapping-Books-5-Assorted-books-1-LOW-Price_W0QQitemZ250189650276QQihZ015QQcategoryZ3166 8QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The auctions I have out there were meant to be quick 1 day auctions. Normally I detail the condition of my books....these are all duplicates I have out there.

Overlay
11-19-2007, 05:17 PM
I see you got one up on ebay now so you must know what your talking about!

Just trying to get as much visibility as possible. ;)

andicap
11-20-2007, 03:46 AM
I just looked on ebay and noticed Richard Johnson was selling his systems

on an immediate buy set up. This is an excellent way to reach millions of

people without paying a penny to advertise and can sell all his systems

many times over. I'm really surprised more people aren't using this outlet

to contact people with horse racing interests. I'm not knocking it or

promoting it but I think it is a clever way to reach out and get noticed

in a legal, quick, and hopefully profitable endevour.

I dunno -- did he get any interest?

timtam
11-20-2007, 10:14 AM
Andicap,

I guess we'll have to send that question to Overlay !!

Overlay
11-20-2007, 12:54 PM
A fair number of hits so far, but no bids. (You can never tell on on-line auctions, anyway, until the very end, because if someone's going to buy, they wait until the last possible minute to bid, trying to reduce the chance of someone beating them out with an offer that's one cent higher.)(I just wish that eBay offered a shorter minimum auction period than three days.)

Donnie
11-20-2007, 01:08 PM
Overlay--
I think after you have your 10 positive feedbacks in before you can shorten an auction to 1 day. I just moved 6 lots of books I had, all in 1 day auctions.

TEJAS KIDD
11-20-2007, 03:52 PM
What a great idea.

Who wants the winner of the 1st race at Sam Houston friday night?
Bidding starts at $50. Guaranteed winner or your money back (not your losing money).
6 horse field, I sell it to six different people (each getting a different runner).
$50 bucks for me

Thanks
The Lemon Drop Kid

njcurveball
11-20-2007, 03:55 PM
6 horse field, I sell it to six different people (each getting a different runner).
$50 bucks for me

Exactly the scam pulled by many of them. Sports handicappers with the 900 phone lines do the same thing.

Call today, get one side, call tomorrow, get the other side. 50% of the people will be happy every time! :ThmbUp:

Donnie
11-20-2007, 04:20 PM
....and there is a problem here? If TJ can find 6 people and is willing to refund the losers, what the hay? He won't be in business long, but for him, should be fun while it lasts!

HAD THE DAILY DOUBLE!! HAD THE DAILY DOUBLE!!

njcurveball
11-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Spot on call Donnie. No problem at all, since the losers usually get TWO free picks!

I have to buffer my criticism with the fact that there are reputable Sports and Horse cappers who do not do this.

I hesitate to post any links here, since it would look like blantant advertising, but my friend does this for a living and he is ahead on all 3 sports he picks.

Below are his stats to date.

NCAAF Overall Plays (+159) 36-36 L72 50%
MLB Overall Plays (+584) 32-29 L61 52%
NFL Overall Plays (+1584) 96-82 L178 54%