PDA

View Full Version : Objectivity

46zilzal
10-23-2007, 03:52 PM
While I don't agree overall with the objectivist philosophy cultivated by Ayn Rand's novels, there is much at the heart of this belief which is adaptable to horse racing. Reality just is reality, not the view we superimpose on it.

We all have biases if we are aware of them or not. Keeping good honest records can sort out the ones we need to work on, but even the most honest of individuals have some inherent ones that sneak back into our modus operandi from time to time should we let down our guard.

I see this in bettors at the course all the time thinking that every horse from barn A (where several champion arose) are going to continue to produce horses of that same quality, or Barn B (which has done well with fillies) will continue to well with the fair sex. The worst, and I have found myself at the mercy of this one, is to strongly dislike the horse's connections to the extent as to then not be objective about the horse itself.

I have often gone to the extent of covering up horse's names and just looking at the past performances to find the contenders. This takes away any inherent biases associated with my perceptions of that horse: 1) may have lost a close one via a DQ or bad ride 2) missed it the last time, etc. the reasons are many.

A second aspect is wishful thinking in a horse that has peaked in it's form cycle and/or level of ability and the old perceptions of what you WANT the reality to be, and what it is are two different things. Take the case of War Emblem. Recognizing this one's game plan required a specific pace scenario that he was not going to get again, and the reality of this one later in this three year old season OBJECTIVELY diminished his chances.

I have found these psychological obstacles to be insidious and recurrent if one does not take the time to have, what the Buddhists call a "quiet mind," at the time one evaluates their relative merits.

Tom
10-23-2007, 04:00 PM
I seldom look at the horse's anem until I have narrowed the field down to my contenders. Even then, I look at the number and go bet. I have to look at the program during the races to see what the name of my horse is.

That came from much what you just said - I used too scan the entries for familiar names and talk myself into betting them.

Fastracehorse
10-23-2007, 06:04 PM
That was an enjoyable post.

It does remind me of: noticing the workings of the mind and how it plays out; usually analyzed after poor decisions.

I've re-traced trains of thought and laughed at how I came to some decisions.

One thing that has hurt me is quick dismissals of potentials.

fffastt

Overlay
10-23-2007, 06:56 PM
To me, that's one of the advantages of making use of statistics and other quantitative criteria. They can help to minimize subjective "noise" and distractions. (I think there can be a place in handicapping for the subjective/intuitive, too, and that's what makes handicapping such a great game. It's just not my particular preference.)

kenwoodallpromos
10-23-2007, 08:57 PM
Even highly touted ones with "TIZ" in the name?

mhrussell
10-23-2007, 11:22 PM
Even highly touted ones with "TIZ" in the name?

New 2yr old horse to run next year: TIZ MAYBE :D

"I'm soooooooo confused!"

mhrussell
10-23-2007, 11:30 PM
"A thing is itself and you know it!"

Great story-

"... he broke his chains and took back the fire,
until man takes back their vultures."

Work hard everybody and best of luck in the Breeders Cup. :ThmbUp:

best,

HuggingTheRail
10-24-2007, 12:50 AM
While I don't agree overall with the objectivist philosophy cultivated by Ayn Rand's novels, there is much at the heart of this belief which is adaptable to horse racing. Reality just is reality, not the view we superimpose on it.

We all have biases if we are aware of them or not. Keeping good honest records can sort out the ones we need to work on, but even the most honest of individuals have some inherent ones that sneak back into our modus operandi from time to time should we let down our guard.

I see this in bettors at the course all the time thinking that every horse from barn A (where several champion arose) are going to continue to produce horses of that same quality, or Barn B (which has done well with fillies) will continue to well with the fair sex. The worst, and I have found myself at the mercy of this one, is to strongly dislike the horse's connections to the extent as to then not be objective about the horse itself.

I have often gone to the extent of covering up horse's names and just looking at the past performances to find the contenders. This takes away any inherent biases associated with my perceptions of that horse: 1) may have lost a close one via a DQ or bad ride 2) missed it the last time, etc. the reasons are many.

A second aspect is wishful thinking in a horse that has peaked in it's form cycle and/or level of ability and the old perceptions of what you WANT the reality to be, and what it is are two different things. Take the case of War Emblem. Recognizing this one's game plan required a specific pace scenario that he was not going to get again, and the reality of this one later in this three year old season OBJECTIVELY diminished his chances.

I have found these psychological obstacles to be insidious and recurrent if one does not take the time to have, what the Buddhists call a "quiet mind," at the time one evaluates their relative merits.

Staying away from Barn M is always prudent though ...