PDA

View Full Version : Post posiition draw is very interestiing for the sprint & classic

john del riccio
10-23-2007, 02:41 PM
The sprint has 3 of quick ones in posts 1,2 & 3 and the classic has LR on the rail which is really wild as rank as he has been. SS looks liek the racing gods are giving him every opportunity to save ground once again from post 2.

John

Vindicationbcjc02
10-23-2007, 03:15 PM
Street is going to be saving so much ground its not even funny. If he doesnt win this race I don't even know what else to say. Love that DS is going to take the shot but they are praying for rain.....

Cratos
10-23-2007, 04:27 PM
The sprint has 3 of quick ones in posts 1,2 & 3 and the classic has LR on the rail which is really wild as rank as he has been. SS looks liek the racing gods are giving him every opportunity to save ground once again from post 2.

John

Monmouth Park is not for closers because of its sharp turns and with nearly 3 furlongs to the first turn in the BC Classic and the track's sharp turns, Street Sense will not benefit from a ground saving effort. This race goes to the horse that will set or be near the early pace. Having said that I like Curlin, but I don’t like the jockey.

The two 6f sprints will be equally challenging for come off the pace horses and again speed should rule supreme.

Vindicationbcjc02
10-23-2007, 04:29 PM
Would it be beyond stupid to think George Washington has a chance given the way the race is shaping up?

46zilzal
10-23-2007, 04:41 PM
Would it be beyond stupid to think George Washington has a chance given the way the race is shaping up?
As we have repeatedly seen MOST cannot adapt to dirt. For every Ibn Bey there are many that did not lift a hoof.

DanG
10-23-2007, 05:00 PM
The sprint has 3 of quick ones in posts 1,2 & 3 and the classic has LR on the rail which is really wild as rank as he has been.
John
John;

IMHO Post #2 is going to hurt Midnight Lute tremendously. His game is not gate quickness and the 1 & 3 should get the drop on him. With his last out monster # and his 2-1 MLO he is someone (as of now) I’m trying to beat for the win.

Cratos ~ Monmouth Park is not for closers because of its sharp turns and with nearly 3 furlongs to the first turn in the BC Classic and the track's sharp turns, Street Sense will not benefit from a ground saving effort. This race goes to the horse that will set or be near the early pace. Having said that I like Curlin, but I don’t like the jockey.
I respectfully disagree Cratos with the characterization of Street Sense as a pure closer; when right he explodes on the far turn on his left lead which is the winning move at Monmouth. This track will actually favor him more than the long / power striding Curlin for example. The far turn is the key dirt real estate at Monmouth on most days.

BTW: I always feel dumb putting in… (imo…imho). I think we all understand these are just “opinions” and anyone who speaks of any race with an fld size >1 in absolute terms needs a straight jacket. :)

Robert Fischer
10-23-2007, 05:26 PM
If Hard Spun can run a 1st quarter around 24 seconds, Lawyer Ron will probably be very rank.

JV is not going to let Ron race on the lead early and Lawyer Ron wants to go at least 23.5.

Hard Spun went 24.45 in the Ky Cup Classic vs Street Sense before working his way up to 1:11 2/5 for 6Furlongs.

46zilzal
10-23-2007, 05:40 PM
Hard Spun went 24.45 in the Ky Cup Classic vs Street Sense before working his way up to 1:11 2/5 for 6Furlongs.
That was essentially a match race.

Tom
10-23-2007, 07:20 PM
I give George Washington as good shot at a price, say 6-1 or better. He was beaten 7 lengths last yewars after a lot of trouble. I have no issue with top Euors coming here off grass careers But for Detori, onw might have won, and this one is better than he lookes on paper on US dirt. I am using him in exoctics for sure, and maybe on the business end of a wad of "Georges."

ceejay
10-23-2007, 07:21 PM
Stupid? No! BUT, I give Awesome Gem a better chance of winning than GW, who hasn't won since before last years BCC.

bellsbendboy
10-23-2007, 07:40 PM
I see Lawyer Ron in a very tough spot. When the gates open Calvin will chirp at him and try to get him on the bridle, while taking a good hold on Street Sense. On the outside, Pino will pin 'Ron against the rail where he almost certainly will get rank or at least be a handful.

The long run to the turn will actually benefit off the pace runners because the pace will be much quicker than if around a turn, similar to a turf race on the hedge. Five million helps as well.

Street Sense is the best work horse in a decade or two and his work today may have been the best of his career. He greatly benefits from the draw and is strictly the one to beat. BBB

Robert Fischer
10-23-2007, 08:11 PM
I see Lawyer Ron in a very tough spot. When the gates open Calvin will chirp at him and try to get him on the bridle, while taking a good hold on Street Sense. On the outside, Pino will pin 'Ron against the rail where he almost certainly will get rank or at least be a handful.

The long run to the turn will actually benefit off the pace runners because the pace will be much quicker than if around a turn, similar to a turf race on the hedge. Five million helps as well.

Street Sense is the best work horse in a decade or two and his work today may have been the best of his career. He greatly benefits from the draw and is strictly the one to beat. BBB

nice rundown

Robert Fischer
10-23-2007, 08:28 PM
(opinions)On GW - Great Animal. Has been improving... Key race 2back 10furlongs on Soft going he ran a game effort vs Authorized(next out G1 winner) -race was won with "unique" tactics by Notnowcato -upgrade that "3rd" to a big 2nd vs top class at the distance...
I cannot back GW on the dirt. I do think he can gallop well enough, but I think he spins his wheels trying to kick home. Tremendous Turf Pedigree.

Tremendous Machine
10-23-2007, 08:39 PM
Nice rundown, but Street Sense is the best work horse in a decade or two?
Did you see Barbaro leading up to the Derby? Wow, I still have the Works recorded just to watch him work. I though he looked "mad" at the track and took it out on the rest of them on Derby Day.

bellsbendboy
10-23-2007, 10:09 PM
T machine: "Sense is a phenomenal morning horse but I must say the best work I ever saw was Barbaro's Derby blowout. Incredible! BBB

David-LV
10-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Monmouth Park is not for closers because of its sharp turns and with nearly 3 furlongs to the first turn in the BC Classic and the track's sharp turns, Street Sense will not benefit from a ground saving effort. This race goes to the horse that will set or be near the early pace. Having said that I like Curlin, but I don’t like the jockey.

The two 6f sprints will be equally challenging for come off the pace horses and again speed should rule supreme.

Curlin ??

Don't like the jockey??? :D :D

What else do you want him to do ? Turn water into wine. :cool: :cool:

Robby Albarado Stats Updated Through: 10/22/2007
http://www.ntra.com/images/bio_albarado.jpg
Starts 1008

1st-2nd-3rd 203-173-161

Earnings (Rank) $14,488,041 (2)

Win % (In-The-Money %)20% (53%)

Cratos
10-23-2007, 10:51 PM
If Hard Spun can run a 1st quarter around 24 seconds, Lawyer Ron will probably be very rank.

JV is not going to let Ron race on the lead early and Lawyer Ron wants to go at least 23.5.

I going to the Breeders’ Cup races to watch in particular Curlin and Discreet Cat and I hope the track is fast because I believe they will put on a show to remember. Discreet Cat might be a bit fragile, but he is Ghostzapper-ese in speed and class. Curlin has impressed me with his acceleration. Although not Foregoian, he is a beauty to watch when he makes his move.

Additionally, I believe the BC Classic comes down to Hard Spun, Any Given Saturday, and Curlin. I realize that I am leaving out one of the better 3yos to run in a long time in Street Sense, but I don’t think this race or track will suit his running style (now watch him win by 10 lengths).

kyle2227
10-24-2007, 01:59 PM
In my mind Street Sense is an automatic tossout. Theres no way hes going to be able to close on the Monmouth track. I think it comes down to Any Given Saturday, Curlin, and Hard Spun with my top pick being Any Given Saturday.

Cratos
10-24-2007, 02:20 PM
Curlin ??

Don't like the jockey??? :D :D

What else do you want him to do ? Turn water into wine. :cool: :cool:

Robby Albarado Stats Updated Through: 10/22/2007
http://www.ntra.com/images/bio_albarado.jpg
Starts 1008

1st-2nd-3rd 203-173-161

Earnings (Rank) $14,488,041 (2)

Win % (In-The-Money %)20% (53%)

It is obvious that you didn’t understand the gist of what I was referring too about Curlin’s jockey, Albarado. I wasn’t dismissing him as a bad or an inferior jockey, but as a jockey that doesn’t fit the horse’s running style. You might have a different opinion and I respect that, but it doesn’t change my mind.

JustRalph
10-24-2007, 02:37 PM
I watched the Street Sense work over and over again on the TVG works program. He looked incredible..........reminded me of Barbaro..........right before the Derby.............

I bet he has put on 300 pounds since the juvie last year........and it looks like all muscle...........

Tom
10-24-2007, 07:09 PM
Tough looking horse, Ralph.
I like that last race, over Poly. Where have I seen that move before.
This guy shows up for the big dances.

David-LV
10-24-2007, 08:03 PM
In my mind Street Sense is an automatic tossout. Theres no way hes going to be able to close on the Monmouth track. I think it comes down to Any Given Saturday, Curlin, and Hard Spun with my top pick being Any Given Saturday.

After watching Street Sense's last workout. He looks like he may be unbeatable no matter what track he run on right now.

This horse looks incredible. The best workout I've seen in years. I expect a monster run by him.

Without a doubt strictly the horse to beat.

His trainer knows how to get them ready for the big races.

BTW: Check my Avatar. That is Street Sense coming back from that workout.

PaceAdvantage
10-25-2007, 12:30 AM
I tend not to believe all the hype that has surrounded Nafzger and this horse....you know the drill, how Carl was just using the last race as a prep, and how masterful he has handled this horse....always having him 100% when it "really counts".....

But maybe the hype is reality in this case, if that last workout is any indication.

DeanT
10-25-2007, 12:46 AM
That is what I like about Carl. The hype never comes from him. This might have not been accurate (I don't think it was), but it was class.

“We were right there, and we got beat. We came up here to win the race. Let’s not make excuses. We ran a good race. We’re ready to go on. It was up to him at the head of the lane to get by Hard Spun. I thought he could do it. But, it was hard to get by anyone all day. He just outran us. I just think Larry’s horse ran a better race than we did, and I mean it. There’s a lot of excuses when you lose, but let’s put it this way. When you get beat, you get beat.”--Carl Nafzger

DanG
10-25-2007, 08:25 AM
I watched the Street Sense work over and over again on the TVG works program. He looked incredible..........reminded me of Barbaro..........right before the Derby.............

I bet he has put on 300 pounds since the juvie last year........and it looks like all muscle...........
Point taken Ralph,

Not often you see the connections high-five after a workout.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/apphoto/photo?sportId=1200&photoId=1717167

This is a true racehorse that always shows up throwing serious punches. How often have we said of BC, Derby, and Travers winners…NEVER off the board. That’s wet, dirt, artificial and broken glass.

Salute!

Enjoy the last time we see this honest thoroughbred… :ThmbUp:
http://espn-i.starwave.com/media/apphoto/ae8556b4-eeb1-428c-a8ed-3fa8482fc340.jpg

Grits
10-25-2007, 08:31 AM
Thank you for posting this photo. Pretty pony post or not . . . I LOVE this animal. Man, I love this horse. And I will miss him. He and "his folks", alone, have made every moment of horseracing this year--worth watching.

He is one special fella and I hope he and his--go out at the top of the 5 million heap.

DeanT
10-25-2007, 10:05 AM
I would like to see SS win. A class animal.

Some props have to go out to these "brittle thoroughbreds" this year. A handful of Derby contenders are in spots where they can make noise, and that all too often has not been the case. My memory stinks now, but I can not remember when I had three Derby starters (two of which ran in all three TC legs) as strong contenders in the Classic in my odds line.