PDA

View Full Version : Suff In NY

Suff
01-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Myself and a lady friend are going to be in NYC this weekend. I felt like getting out of town for a couple of days.

I'm taking the shuttle out of boston at 4:30 Friday afternoon.. Landing at La Guardia at 5:30.

I'm staying at the Lexington Raddison. 511 lexington avenue.
Its a Block off Park Ave.. Between E. 47 and 49th.

I'd love to get together for dinner? Afternoon at the races with anyone of my NY Paceadvantage Friends.

She's running around Manhattan with my credit cards... I'm going to aqueduct all afternoon Sat. and Sun. *someone has to pay for this!

Usually I check in and head over to Mickey Mantles or go down to ESPN zone in Times Square for Dinner. Anyone wanna meet for Drink... . Some of you know my real name... Call the hotel and ask for me 212-755-4400. Or drop me an e-mail and we'll make plans to meet.

I'm semi-friendly with the Shop-steward at Aqueduct. He hooks me up at Bemont and Saratoga with a nice spot. Anyone out here have the juice to get me in the "turf club".

SUFF

jotb
01-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Hello Suff:

LOL YOU ARE ONE SICK PUPPY BUT I LOVE IT.

Have fun at the Big A

Joe

Suff
01-06-2003, 08:17 PM
LOL... I am a sick pup.. but what in that post gave it away Jotb? I thought it was a very nice Invitation... I get e-mails all the time from guys that tell me when I come to NY thay wanna meet up. I go down every meet at least once. I went to belmont three times last year.. including the breeders cup.. and I go up to the SPA every year for at least a week... this year I went for two...

Which reminds me of a story.

A local up there has barn privilidges and I was meeting him at "Breakfast with the horses" (spa regulars know what that is)... and one day we mozy out to the barns,, and the Robert Barbara barn is the First Barn out back ,,, right near where the 6 furlong shute goes,,, and he says "stay here".. and in the barn he goes. So I'm out front making small talk with a few hot walkers and anyone else that'll talk to me... and here comes this ENORMOUS man on a horse.,,, and as he gets closer I see it's Allen Jerkens. He has to be 11 feet off the ground from Horseshoe's to the top of his cowboy hat. "so I says 'AJ" hows that horse of yours look in the 5th today.. and he says My son has a horse in the same race that I like a lil better.. and I say Oh yeah who's that... and he says "DR. Walsh" So I went on saying I was watching some of his horses and I thought his horse so so would be better at a mile,, and down off his horse he comes... and he starts going on and on about how he was working him wrong and he's was going to get him at 7 furlong soon and so on and so on. It was a nice lil chat... and back on his horse he goes and I turn around and theres my buddy and one of barbara's assistant shaking thier head at me.... 'what?" I said,, and the assistant says.... I've been working On track for 15 years... and I've said good morning... good afternoon and good night to that guy 10000 times and he never says a word. Matter of fact he don't have to much to say to anyone. I'm shocked he talked to you.... I just said,,, "well I saw him coming and I guess I was too stupid to know any better"

So to make a long story a lil longer..We walked in and looked over some of Barbara's stock and had a nice lil chat on horses.

And yes I did bet Dr. walsh and yes he did win.

But ,, after that day I went on a lil Barbara/Jerkens betting bonanza.. I bet everything they threw out there... and without much success I might add. Just when I tired of that Bender... they both go on Winning Streaks like nothing no one's ever seen... Can you beleive barbara is winning at a 55% clip at Aqueduct? Gotta be a record. That was his 2 horse in the 8th on Sunday.. to make that $5000.00 pik4.

stuball
01-06-2003, 09:49 PM
Hi Sufferin

Hope u have a lot of fun this weekend(that will mean ur winnin. Your insight will be missed on the board.....Thanks

Stuball

cj
01-06-2003, 09:58 PM
sufferin,

You'll love this one. When me and my wife were dating, we went to Boston for New Year's when Suffolk re-opened. She thought we would see some history, some landmarks, etc.

We were gvien a tour of Boston by my friend Larry Collmus. Although I was perfectly happy, she still hasn't let me hear the end of it about this trip.

The landmarks we saw consisted of Suffolk Downs, Wonderland (I think that is the name) Dog track, and Scarborough harness racing in Maine!

CJ

jotb
01-07-2003, 07:46 AM
Hello Suff:

When I first started spending time on the backside, I made friendship with an exercise rider (former jockey) Andrew Amonte. As a matter of fact Suff you should be familiar with Andrew's father who is still riding at 63 years old at Suffolk Downs. Anyway, make a long story short, I spoke to Andy about Allen Jerkens and told him that is one trainer that I would love to meet. Andy told me to meet him the following morning and after work we would take a ride to meet Allen over in barn 30 at Belmont. We arrived at Belmont the following day after training was over and Andy introduced me to Allen. Talk about a soft spoken person with a down to earth personality. Here's this giant of a man that defeated the great Secretariat with a horse by the name of Onion, carry on a conversation about the good old days. He made me feel like I was part of his racing history while the hair on my arms stood tall. Allen Jerkens is a true horseman (He is called THE CHIEF on the backside by many) and not because of the big races he has won over the years. This man for many, many, years arrived at the racetrack before the kitchen was open and would not leave the racetrack until the general public was home in the evening reading the form for the next day. He loves the game like we love to handicap and should be remembered forever because of his great achievements and dedication in the sport. Ever since I had the opportunity to meet with Mr. Jerkens, now, whenever I visit Belmont in the mornings, I make it my business to stick my head in barn 30 to say hello. By the way, his 2 sons Jimmy and Steven are excellent horseman and always a pleasure to talk with. Have a good time this weekend in NY and may all your horses cross the finish line first.

Best regards,
Joe

Suff
01-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Great stories Jotb and CJ. and thanks STUB. I hope I do have a good time. Isn't being a fan of thourghbred racing great!..... I love the game... and if I had to ... I'd talk to the telephone pole around the corner, about horse racing, if no one was around.

I just noticed something as I logged on. I think I found this board in May or so last year. I'm a registered member since JUNE. And with some of these guys coming over here from the prodigy board... I guess it'd be another two years and I'd still be a Newbie. But anyway. I came in and I started Posting My horse racing anyalsis in the selections section the way I do. I have a thing for breaking down races. I thoroughly enjoy it. So... I was coming back in a day or two later.. and I would have NO REPLIES to my well thought out and hard worked anaylsis. And I'd see that It was being a viewed by about 8-10 people.... TOPS!!.

Well... This I could'nt stand for... Doggone it... I'm giving away some good winners here... and I'm in here strutting my stuff and no one is watching.... So one day... I type up a well thought out argument for a horse.. and I posted it in the "General Handicapping Forum"... Thinking... NOW!!!.. they'll see the SUFF in action.

Next day.. I log on.. and PA......... MOVED!!! My post
back to the selections section!!!... I was furious...Internet furious... and I fire up a "Who the hell does this guy think he is" moving my post to the selctions section... NO one goes in there to the selections section.. and I'm an artist and I want my art out with the people!!... Well after a lil you back and forth, back and forth with PA.. I settled down. but that lil incident got me the headlines I was looking for. Soon enough... I was gettng responses.. and the room was hot... now its white hot!!! With Camptown,, and Irishlad,, and NYRAcapper... and Jotb.. and all the guys in the contest,,, CJ and his Brother... Formula kicking lately... its a great forum... 9-10 guys in the warroom every weekend.

Well ,, back to my point... This morning.. the selections Forum officially passed the the "handicapping Software forum " in total posts ! (3747 to 3743) And we're quickly gaining on the "general racing discusion forum. This is THE PLACE TO BE!!!

And we have some tremendous guys in here... and some top notch horse players... and best of all.. some real race fans!!! And thats great.. Cuz at heart.. thats all I am... A throughbred racing fan!!! Thanks guys,, for making the board a great place. I look forward to visiting it everyday!

SUFF

Suff
01-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski

The landmarks we saw consisted of Suffolk Downs, Wonderland (I think that is the name) Dog track, and Scarborough harness racing in Maine!

CJ

I once met a girl from Lewiston Maine down here in Boston... A real beauty. All French... Maine's loaded with French Canadiens. Her dad owned a Bakery up there and she used to tell me .. all her life "she's been in the dough"... Lewiston's a Funny town.. Total "up country" kinda place... But thats where Cassius Clay fought and beat Sony Liston for the heavy weight title... before he was Muhammed Ali.. odd but true.

Well... I used to drive up there and see her quite often... and trust me.. I was'nt driving all the way up there for the fresh baked bread. And they had the most Backwater Harness track up there called lewiston down... I mean this place was bad. they'd be running electrical cords and Tools out to the track to re-attach wheels that fell off in post Parade. But... whats a guy to do... could'nt just show up and start the romance... I had to take her somewhere,,, so I used to take her there.

The last trip I made up there... I was sitting in the French american club.. With her,, her mother, and her GrandMother playing BINGO... and I looked around and I said to myself..

MICHAEL... Your in lewiston Maine on a Saturday night with a Granny , a mommy and a girlfriend playing BINGO!!!!! Just then it hit me...... RUN MICHAEL >>>>> RUN!! RUN!!! GO NOW!! or you may never get out of here!!! BIngo with Granny on a Saturday night in Lewiston Maine... Oh boy...!!!

After that night... I started a new policy on dating women. If I can't get home on the subway... your too far away for me!!!