PDA

View Full Version : Sam Houston Down to 3 days a week?

sq764
01-06-2003, 05:04 PM
I just noticed that Sam Houston went to 3 days a week for January (Thurs-Sat).. That's disappointing..

BillW
01-06-2003, 07:22 PM
Back to 4 Feb. and Mar. They'll move to Thur. - Sun. with Sun post at 5:00.

Suff
01-06-2003, 07:25 PM
Bill... Your from down that area. Do you know Reid Mclellan from sam Houston?

BillW
01-06-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns

No ... I could pick him out in a bar, but have only spoken a few times (he certainly doesn't remember me).

Suff
01-06-2003, 07:47 PM
oh... Just wondering.. Cuz i've traded a few e-mails with him in reference to a Horse I liked that shipped in From Keeneland to run there... and you really could'nt ask for a nicer guy... Real Good guy... Top notch horseplayer. You should send him over a beer if and when you see him at the local watering hole. Not a bad guy to have on your side down there.

Zaf
01-06-2003, 07:48 PM
3 race cards per week , that is very disapointing.

ZAFONIC

Holy Bull
01-06-2003, 08:06 PM
3 good cards a week with big fields is better than 4 mediocre cards a week.

Zaf
01-06-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by Holy Bull
3 good cards a week with big fields is better than 4 mediocre cards a week.

Can't argue with that, I'm sure most of those races will be 12 horse affairs. Gotta Love That !!!

ZAFONIC

GR1@HTR
01-06-2003, 08:40 PM
Too many overlapping races down here in Tx area...With DED, FG and HOU something has to give...Kinda sucks...

Zaf
01-06-2003, 09:04 PM
I don't count DED as a real track, its just a crappy bullring.

ZAFONIC

BillW
01-06-2003, 09:22 PM
DED ... a crappy bullring with slots (size doesn't matter .... slots do! :D )

Bill

GR1@HTR
01-06-2003, 09:32 PM
I hear they are building a real track for DED...Or is that EVD?

smf
01-06-2003, 09:38 PM
GR1,

That would be Evangeline, my friend. They broke ground on the new track in the Parrish down the road from the present track, according to a nola.com poster. S.b up'n runnin' in 2004 or 2005.

Wave bye- bye to our large fields at Lone Star after this season.

Zaf
01-06-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by smf
GR1,

That would be Evangeline, my friend. They broke ground on the new track in the Parrish down the road from the present track, according to a nola.com poster. S.b up'n runnin' in 2004 or 2005.

Wave bye- bye to our large fields at Lone Star after this season.

That is great news. I bet EVD in the summer. Due to my work & family schedule the majority of my action is EVD, HOU, LS , RET.
I love these tracks.

I wish CT & DED would invest some of their slot revenue and rebuild those Bull Rings.

ZAFONIC

ranchwest
01-06-2003, 11:39 PM
DeD is talking about rebuilding the surface to be a mile oval. Takes the fog stop out of a mile race. :)

Do you remember Jefferson Downs? I believe it was 1/8 shorter than DeD. They'd have marathons there, six and seven turn races!! The camera sat up high, so it looked like a cockroach race. You had to pay close attention to know which lap was the last.

Boris
01-07-2003, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by Sufferindowns

I've stuck my head in his office a few times to say hello. Easy enough to find, look for the purple shirt. Very good guy. Always friendly. I don't think it's an accident that the new virtual horse racing machine is right outside his office.

PurplePower
01-08-2003, 01:03 AM
NOW CUT THAT OUT ROCHESTER -- (and you too, Suff and Boris.) Seriously, thanks for the compliments, guys. Boris was my link to this board and he does stop by to say hi every now and again. (He doesn't look anything like either of those Avatars he uses In fact he looks almost like an ordinary guy rather than a degenerate horse player. )
We went to three days in January so that we could have four extra days in October thereby allowing us to run live on Breeders' Cup Day and then have a full four day week leading into Saturday November 1st instead of opening on Halloween. As Bill W said, we go back to four days a week in February and March - racing Thursday through Sunday. Talk today was that we MIGHT try a 3 PM post instead of the traditional 5PM for Sunday. (Other days will stay at 7PM).
I still haven't been able to make headway on the music, however. Mr. Bork just returned from vacation and I will present him with the comments from this board and another one, plus some email that came directly to me at the track by this weekend. We have Elvis' birthday celebration this weekend and heard today that we just got a 70 song Elvis CD to give to audio. You guys don't like Elvis, turn the volumn down on Saturday.
I have some other questions to address on a couple of other threads and will be getting to those tomorrow and Thursday. But, my fifteen minutes are up for today. :D :cool:

BillW
01-08-2003, 01:26 AM
Another fallout of the shortened week:

Thurs. card:

- 6 races with 12 entries
- 3 races with 10 entries
- 1 race with 8 entries

Any bets on a clean sweep (10 races - all at 12 entries) before the end of the month?

Zaf
01-08-2003, 09:19 AM
I like the 5PM Sunday Post.

ZAFONIC

Boris
01-08-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by PurplePower
(He doesn't look anything like either of those Avatars he uses In fact he looks almost like an ordinary guy rather than a degenerate horse player. )

That's only because I stop by on my way IN, and not on the way OUT. ;)

BTW, two for one prime rib has a few of us coming on Thursday. I don't about the food options at other tracks, but Sammy has outstanding food at reasonable prices. The boiled shrimp on the buffet in the Jockey Club are some of the best in the city.

PurplePower
01-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by Boris
.....BTW, two for one prime rib has a few of us coming on Thursday. I don't about the food options at other tracks, but Sammy has outstanding food at reasonable prices. The boiled shrimp on the buffet in the Jockey Club are some of the best in the city. I agree about the food - for the most part. Like any "concession" type food some of the hot dogs, etc are a little bland. But you can get a great fresh cooked pasta at the food court for $4.95 - either chicken or shrimp. Those shrimp in the Jockey Club ARE excellent. Don't forget to print out a coupon for the two-for-one (ALL you want to eat) Prime rib on Thursday night. If you forget to bring a "coup", stop by the Fan Ed Room as I keep a few extra on the side board.
Zafonic said he liked the 5PM post on Sunday. Any others want to vote on post time. All of our printed material says 5PM so I doubt we'll change, but a 3PM post was suggested at marketing meeting this week.
"Suff" suggested I post a Purple Power on the selection board for the group that plays in the War room, so I did so. Since it's FREE I don't guess that would be advertising, eh PA? :)