PDA

View Full Version : A Few Questions About Delta Downs

trying2win
10-19-2007, 04:25 PM
I just noticed recently that Delta Downs is starting their meet Fri. Oct. 19/07. I have a few questions about this track.

1. What is the circumference of this track?

2. I noticed at the Equibase website, that Delta Downs was scheduled to start this meet on Nov. 1 of this year. What prompted the earlier start in racing dates?

3. Am I correct in assuming that 95 % of the horses that will be racing at Delta Downs will be shipping in from Louisiana Downs....or is that overestimating the figure?

4. If most of the horses racing at Delta Downs will be shipping in from Louisiana Downs and let's say the circumference of Delta Downs is smaller than Lousiana Downs, will the traditional theory that'll it'll help the front runners more? Or, in your opinion, will a 'horses-for-courses' theory merit more of a consideration in your handicapping of this track?

Thanks,

T2W

Spendabuck85
10-19-2007, 04:28 PM
Main track dimensions: 6 furlong oval with two chutes--a 550-yard (QH) 1 1/16-mile (TB) chute and a 5-furlong chute
The track surface is a mixture of sand (from the Sabine river) and clay with a limestone base
Length of stretch: 660 feet
Width of stretch: 80 feet
Width of backstretch and turns: 70 feet
Track is banked with a 5% rise down the straight-a-way and 10% incline on turns
Maximum field size is 10
There are 20 barns with 60 stalls in each
There are 10 tackrooms in each barn

trying2win
10-19-2007, 04:51 PM
SPENDABUCK:

Thanks a million for the info :ThmbUp:

T2W

stu
10-19-2007, 04:53 PM
3. Am I correct in assuming that 95 % of the horses that will be racing at Delta Downs will be shipping in from Louisiana Downs....or is that overestimating the figure?

I would expect horses from Evangeline to be equally represented as Louisiana Downs.

Shippers from everywhere I-35 east for allowance and stakes races.

trying2win
10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
STU:

Thanks for the info as well. :ThmbUp: I don't know where to find info on track circumferences, but is my assumption correct that LOUSIANA DOWNS and EVANGELINE DOWNS are both 1 mile ovals on the dirt?

T2W

Spendabuck85
10-19-2007, 05:16 PM
Louisiana is one mile and Evangeline is 7 furlongs.
Try DRF.com, go to Entries, then Track Information.
http://www.drf.com/entries/entries_info.html

trying2win
10-19-2007, 05:24 PM
SPENDABUCK:

Thanks again :ThmbUp:. I'm now more einlightened on the Louisiana racetracks' circumferences and where to find info about other racetracks. Now comes the next challenge...i.e. trying to make some money at Delta Downs :).

T2W

dylbert
10-19-2007, 07:05 PM
Louisiana is one mile and Evangeline is 7 furlongs.
Try DRF.com, go to Entries, then Track Information.
http://www.drf.com/entries/entries_info.htmlLouisiana Downs is one mile oval with 7-furlong and 1-1/4 mile chutes. Also, has about 7-1/2 F turf course.

New Evangeline Downs at Opelousas is one mile oval with 6-furlong chute. Ownership has announced construction of 7-furlong turf course that should be ready for 2008 season. DRF site is still showing old EvD in Lafayette that was less than one mile track.

I visited Delta Downs last December for Delta Jackpot racecard. It is 6-furlong track with longest chute I have ever seen! I have described it here and to friends and dragstrip attached to bullring. Don't blink or you will miss "stretch run" as it is very, very short. I am planning on attending this year's Jackpot on December 7.

I live 2 hours from LaD, 75 minutes from EvD, and 2-1/2 hours from DeD. I don't follow too much of day-to-day action but enjoy live racing at each facility.

Good luck at the windows or as my Cajun friends say, "laissez les bon temps rouler!"

JustRalph
10-19-2007, 07:08 PM
follow the trainers.......... there are often surprises...........and sometimes tracking a trainer at Delta can yield some serious profits........if you have time to do it.......

trying2win
10-20-2007, 03:58 AM
DYLBERT....thanks for the update on Delta Downs. :ThmbUp:

RALPH.......thanks for the trainer tip at this track :ThmbUp:

T2W

Marshall Bennett
10-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Don't know a lot about the racetrack but beware of the state police getting there !! Drive the speed limit ... or less !!! ~ Marshall ~

chrismc
10-20-2007, 09:13 PM
Go to this link...it has alot of info on T-Bred tracks in the US and even the track diagram...hope this helps.

http://www.drf.com/entries/entries_info.html

dylbert
10-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Go to maps.google.com

Enter Delta Downs, Vinton, La

Then you switch to Satellite view

Chute that starts in upper right (northeast) is one that I have described as "dragstrip". When you look from grandstand toward it, you expect that you may have gone to NHRA facility. It looks very different than generic DRF diagram.

Boyd Gaming has done an excellent job getting this track, racino, and hotel rebuilt and re-established after 2005 Hurricane Rita damaged and destroyed much of their plant.