PDA

View Full Version : NYC OTB

Hammerhead
10-19-2007, 06:13 AM
Mayor Bloomburg says shut them down. NY State using them as a cash cow.
Time has come to close them down. City not getting there fair share.

alysheba88
10-19-2007, 09:14 AM
He is right. I talked about this a few months ago. How the city subsidizes the rest of the state

Ron
10-19-2007, 09:55 AM
Then Bloomberg will have to deal with bums wandering the streets all day!

badcompany
10-19-2007, 10:09 AM
NYC OTB is basically useless to someone who wants to play horses, seriously.

If you go to one of the parlors, you're gonna have to deal with lowlives, and if you try to play at home, you have to deal with the OTB channel which shows 4 tracks on one screen. You can't see the exotic boards most of the time or get late changes, and you're never sure if you're even gonna see your race.

Zman179
10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
...and if you try to play at home, you have to deal with the OTB channel which shows 4 tracks on one screen. You can't see the exotic boards most of the time or get late changes, and you're never sure if you're even gonna see your race.

Still beats the hell out of TVG. I'm sure that there are many horseplayers here hat would love to have the direct NYRA feed for the entire card without interruptions, something that we have on the OTB Channel 71. And if you include Channel 73, we can have up to 8 tracks simulcast in our homes at one time.

As much as I despise NYCOTB, at-home wagering is one thing they got right. I've been betting with an OTB telephone betting account since 1983.

badcompany
10-19-2007, 11:08 AM
Still beats the hell out of TVG. I'm sure that there are many horseplayers here hat would love to have the direct NYRA feed for the entire card without interruptions, something that we have on the OTB Channel 71. And if you include Channel 73, we can have up to 8 tracks simulcast in our homes at one time.

As much as I despise NYCOTB, at-home wagering is one thing they got right. I've been betting with an OTB telephone betting account since 1983.

While you do get the races at home, you can't bet seriously, using the OTB channel.

Here's an example. Last night I was watching the baseball game. Between innings, I did some channel surfing and came across the OTB channel, which was about to show a race from Yonkers. I watched the race, which ended in a pretty close win photo. Immediately after the race, OTB switches to a race from Hoosier. So, the poor slobs who bet the Yonkers race are now in the dark. The Hoosier race runs, and, after it's over, OTB switches back to Yonkers, which is in the midst of a Steward's inquiry, but, the guy at home still doesn't know which horse finished first.

At that point, OTB switches to Oak Tree which had just posted its results, once again leaving the Yonkers bettor in the dark. When OTB finally came back to Yonkers, the results (prices) of the race were posted. So, had you bet on the race, you didn't know if your horse won and survived the inquiry, or if it finished second and was placed first.

That's just one of many examples of how poorly the OTB channel is run. If you're going to have multiple tracks on one channel, you HAVE to have a host telling you what's going on. After many years, OTB still hasn't figured this out, or maybe it has and just doesn't care.

Tom
10-19-2007, 11:17 AM
Then Bloomberg will have to deal with bums wandering the streets all day!

You don't think the OTB clerks will find new jobs? :rolleyes: