PDA

View Full Version : Question for the doc...

jognlope
10-18-2007, 05:40 PM
I never get a straight answer. Does MVP cause weak spells? I know this is probably hard to answer, but I've been getting them for years, wondering if it's because of MVP.

skate
10-18-2007, 08:12 PM
I never get a straight answer. Does MVP cause weak spells? I know this is probably hard to answer, but I've been getting them for years, wondering if it's because of MVP.

MVP is for a season.

therefore 'week' spells are helpful:kiss:

Greyfox
10-18-2007, 08:30 PM

I knew a witch once who had such weak spells we called her which.:lol:

More seriously, this is Zilly's ball park not mine.
My understanding is that mitral valve prolapse can sometimes lead to a release of lactic acid into the blood stream. This flush generally increases "anxiety" and may be part of what you are referring to as "weak spells."

jognlope
10-18-2007, 08:32 PM
Well one out of one ain't bad, I should be thankful to get that.

Thanks, that I haven't heard. I think you hit on something.

skate
10-18-2007, 08:33 PM
ah, umm, not my park either.

ok ok , so the skate got one wrong...:(

Greyfox
10-18-2007, 09:26 PM
Lots of sites out on the net if you google tag words associated with
mitral valve prolapse + lactic acid + anxiety.
Here's one that recommends the B vitamins.

http://www.consciouschoice.com/1995-98/cc093/hmd093.html

"Several of the B vitamins can help with symptoms of mitral valve prolapse. Among other things, they can reduce high levels of lactic acid in the blood that are associated with anxiety and panic attack. Alcohol, caffeine and sugar all contribute to higher lactic acid levels, and the B vitamins niacin and thiamin can help reduce them. Dosage: Vitamins B1 (thiamine) 100 mg./day; vitamin B3 (niacin) 50 mg./day.

Vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) can favor the production of higher levels of the neurotransmitter serotonin in the brain, which are relaxing and sedating. (Prozac and Prozac-like drugs are prescribed to achieve the same effect.) Dosage: 50 mg./day."

Suggest you ask 46Zil to weigh in on this.

46zilzal
10-19-2007, 01:37 AM
Most patients are asymptomatic and remain so for their entire lives. Arrhythmias, most commonly ventricular
premature contractions and paroxysmal supraventricular and ventricular tachycardia, have been reported and may cause palpitations, light-headedness, and syncope. SYNCOPE is fainting.

Sudden death is a very rare complication. Many patients have chest pain that is difficult to evaluate. It is often substernal, prolonged, poorly related to exertion, and rarely resembles typical angina pectoris. Transient cerebral ischemic attacks secondary to emboli from the mitral valve due to endothelial disruption have been reported. Infective endocarditis may occur in patients with Mitral Regurgitation associated with MVP.

Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine,Copyright© 2000 McGraw-Hill. All rights reserved.

WEAK spells per se have several OTHER causations. Orthostatic hypotension is the most common.

jognlope
10-19-2007, 06:36 AM
Thank you name with Zs in it!! I used to wake up in the middle of the night with a feeling that my heart was kind of low idling and I'd panic, oh my gosh did I panic, and then I'd wind up with a vice feeling around my chest and feeling like my breath didn't go further down than the base of my neck -- hyperventilation. But then I learned to have coffee with sugar real fast and it got my heart to beat, with the adrenaline. Now I know exercise, much more of it, is what I need, plus the B6. Gotta watch out for the Bs they can actualy make me hyper.

It seems everyone is taking the Omega 3 and coenzyme.

46zilzal
10-19-2007, 11:34 AM
One of the major causes of light headedness is vasovagal syncope (a charge of activity in the paired 10th cranial nerves, the vagus) which causes that "sickening" feeling in the gut and it is purely the result of anxiety. We all get it from time to time.

Anxiety is behind many of our symptoms.

jognlope
10-19-2007, 12:03 PM
boy you know this stuff, and yes I used to get that sickening feeling in the gut, oh yeah I know about that, especially when I first lived in NYC and felt it when I had to get from Manhattan after work back to Brooklyn. I grew out of them but I visited the ER many times, once ran to the hospital near me in Brooklyn in my pajamas. (If I could run to the ER, I was probably okay :lol: ) But you couldn't tell me that.

46zilzal
10-19-2007, 12:06 PM
boy you know this stuff, and yes I used to get that sickening feeling in the gut, oh yeah I know about that, especially when I first lived in NYC and felt it when I had to get from Manhattan after work back to Brooklyn.
Man, I wish I was that close to the NYRA courses!

jognlope
10-19-2007, 01:00 PM
I had no interest in racing then, even work in the office of surgery at Jamaica Hospital, but the Scandinavian biker mom I was supposed to supervised ended up supervising me almost and my ego couldn't take it anymore. One of the race tracks was practically on my door step!