PDA

View Full Version : when are they ever going to learn?

46zilzal
10-18-2007, 01:26 PM
People are people. Their POTENTIAL is genetically based but their interaction with environment (including opportunities for education, nutrition, ability to openly interact and learn, etc.) is the great variable that permits or inhibits this from coming to fruition. Used to categorize women the same way and the world lost out on many of their contributions as well over the years.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/10/18/science.race/index.html

so.cal.fan
10-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I think this woman should have won it this year!
Irena Sendler. Sendler was a former history teacher who rescued 2,500 children during the Holocaust and was a top contender for the wondrous prize. Back during the early 1940's, Sendler was a Catholic social worker who had gone into the Warsaw ghetto to rescue Jewish kids who were destined either to starve there, or die in death camps. She would sneak the kids past Nazi guards, sometimes hiding them in body bags, or would provide them with false documents - inevitably getting them to Polish families for adoption, or hiding them in convents or orphanages. She also made a list of the children's real names, put them in a jar and buried them, so that some day she could dig them up and find the kids to tell them their true names. The Nazis captured her and beat the crap out of her, but she later escaped, and she went into hiding. She's now in her late 90's , living in a nursing home in Poland.
Sorry, Al Gore, in my book, this lady should have recieved the award.

46zilzal
10-18-2007, 01:50 PM
The world needs to hear more about bravery and conscience like this. The old mantra fits: "Being moral is doing what is right even when no one is looking."

Tom
10-18-2007, 02:02 PM
SoCal...right on.
The Nobel Prizes are poltical rewards these days.
How you get lying about global warming as having anything to do with peace is beyond me.
This lady - a REAL hero - is so much bigger and more important than that fat, washed up loser ever was it isn't funny.

46zilzal
10-18-2007, 02:08 PM
My mother in law was fortunate enough to win the Order of Ontario for her years of work in establishing the Toronto Senior Women's Network. She still thinks it was a mistake but the rest of the world seems to disagree. Along with her was the inventor of the Blackberry and two of the founders of stem cell research technology.

She received the award last December at the provincial parliament in Toronto. Her husband and I had to wear tuxedos to a big shindig afterwards.

JustRalph
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Amazing...............Gore wins and he is the smartest guy on earth............

this guy wins........in a much more deserving way.....actual science...........

and he is now the worst person on the planet because he is furthering his research.............. I don't know if this guy is right or wrong.........but he has the qualifications, the bona fides if you will........ but suddenly he is thrown under the bus...........because he reports his findings..............

I say let him speak and find somebody to counter his argument. would that be so hard?

46zilzal
10-18-2007, 03:01 PM
Watson is a molecular biologist. That is a quantum leap to understanding inherent intelligence. He provides no data anyway.

QUOTE:"In the newspaper interview, he said there was no reason to think that races which had grown up in separate geographical locations should have evolved identically. He went on to say that although he hoped everyone was equal, "people who have to deal with black employees find this not true".

NO data as one could easily transpose this argument to Aboriginals or Asians with just as much ILLOGIC.

but then xenophobes, well they jump at the chances to find those differences, don't they????

Tom
10-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Sounds like he has more credibility than ALLGORE.

46zilzal
10-18-2007, 04:29 PM
http://brackenworld.blogspot.com/2007/10/dr-watson-racist.html

skate
10-18-2007, 08:30 PM
She also made a list of the children's real names, put them in a jar and buried them, so that some day she could dig them up and find the kids to tell them their true names. The Nazis captured her and beat the crap out of her, but she later escaped, and she went into hiding. She's now in her late 90's , living in a nursing home in Poland.
Sorry, Al Gore, in my book, this lady should have recieved the award.

ah, this is a great story. saw her, tv, she looks real good for all her troubles.

46zilzal
10-19-2007, 01:14 PM
rational heads prevailed.
http://www.cnn.com/2007/TECH/science/10/19/uk.race/index.html

lilmegahertz
10-19-2007, 02:04 PM
Maybe I should go on tour, tell folks I invented everything, bore them then I might win the noble peace prize. I totally agree that the brave woman who helped those children so long ago deserves the award more than anyone. Whatever happened to being awarded for your honest bravery instead of who could spout of the most drivel?

46zilzal
10-19-2007, 02:10 PM
Whatever happened to being awarded for your honest bravery instead of who could spout of the most drivel?
Gore's message is hardly drivel.

I know how many of these awards go. One has to have an "in" (notoriety and a PR campaign) in order to break into the inner circle of people who vote.

There are many people who have done marvelous things in this life who will go un-noticed. One thing is for sure, THEY know what they did. Aesop was quoted as saying "No act of kindness, no matter small, goes unrewarded." These people might not have that loving cup on the mantle, but they can go through life knowing their being on this mortal coil made a difference. That would be enough for me.