PDA

View Full Version : And I Used to LIKE Charles Ogletree

toetoe
10-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I heard Charles Ogletree on NPR (Hey --- nothing else was on {:sheepish grin}) yesterday, and what a freak he has become. Someone called in to get the legal reasoning behind the equation: noose = hate crime (how I HATE that epithet :mad: ). So CO said it's not a symbol, it's a real threat ... no, it's not just that, it's kinda like pure evil, I guess, and the guy that was dragged behind a car several years back somehow illustrated nooseworthiness, although I only remember hearing about a dragging. :confused: Anyway, then he invoked Emmett Till, and I guess he reckons no one not black has ever been abused with rope, and then he said nooses ARE symbols :confused: , and it occurred to me that, as an "advisor" to the defense team for the Jena 6 (no, that is NOT an exotic bet at Jefferson Downs), he is a very cultured version of Bundini Brown. I used to think that the successful practice of law required a reasoned progression of facts and logic, but CO knows, I guess, that emotion and exaltation of the inner victim carry the day.

Then a lady from India called to say that the schwastika represents much good stuff in India. So, host Neal Conen(sp.?) cut her off and said well it's bad in the West, lady. That's it, Neal ?

My question: is the horror of hearing naughty words and seeing naughty symbols/nonsymbols SO delicious that, like kiddy-diddle news, we just milk it for all it's worth, wring our hands, point fingers and dig in our heels ? How about prosecuting kids fairly for ganging up on another kid, and how about TRYING to explain to ignorant teen trash (adults, too) that noose hanging is HELLA weak. Where are the people, black AND white, that might just climb the tree and cut the stupid things down ? Oh, no. That's right. They're EVIDENCE of a hate crime.

Good thing this stuff is not REALLY too serious. I heard Mr. Peace Prize referring to something else as (paraphrasing from memory now) "the greatest peril we've ever faced." :lol:

Tom
10-17-2007, 04:06 PM
Is my COTTON shirt a threat?

People gotta start getting real. This stuff is pretty low level inteligence at work. The word "threat" no longer means what it says in the dictionary.
Some wise-ass high school kid handing a noose in the schoolyard to piss off some black kids he has a problem with is no way, in any stretch of the imagination, any kind of threat. It is a wise- ass high school kid acting without thinking. I would think that people were much smarter that that, but I guess I am wrong.

delayjf
10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
People gotta start getting real
Exactly, the truth is if you got these same people; especially the Whites that get in front of the cameras and express their abject outrage, off the record alone at a party, with a few beers in them - they'd tell you they could care less.

I'm surprised some minority hasn't yet used the "N Word / noose defense" to justify the killing of a white person.

bigmack
10-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Chuck Ogletree, or as Tavis Smiley calls him, Tree, still holds virtue for me as a pensive fellow with insight. Though his hiccup of plagiarism and his reasoning for doing so was rich in his "it was the pressure of meeting a deadline." Had I known that was a viable reason I'd have several PHD's by now.

The meaning that symbols conjure can be as diverse as the number of minds deciphering. A noose in the South of this country has a finite number of interpretations and arguably only one.

The swastika, or as 2Toes puts, schwastika, has had a multitude of meanings far beyond its most notable and transcendent of any geographic assignment.
http://www.symbols.com/encyclopedia/15/151.html

toetoe
10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
My spelling is a-TROE-shuss. :blush:

Actually, my expectations of my own spelling are as high as those I had of CO, about whose plagiarism I knew not a thing. That's why it hurts, cuz I EXPECT more.

Can you elaborate on the plagiarism, mackster ?

falconridge
10-19-2007, 02:04 PM
hate crime (how I HATE that epithet :mad: )
Hear, hear. “Thought crime” might be a more appropriate designation, as that’s what our oh-so-enlightened elected officials and office-seeking poseurs mean to control. It’s hard to know where to begin an enumeration of all that’s wrong with so-called hate crime legislation. Begging my colleagues’ indulgence, I’ll just mention a few of the reasons these artificial--and often subjective and arbitrary-- impositions are not only morally and ethically objectionable, but unconstitutional (not to mention unnecessary—or worse).

Prohibition of violence against person and property was on the books at the birth of our republic. Indeed, it existed long before then, and under all manner of sovereignties and regimes--at least since the creation, nearly 4000 years ago, of Hammurabi’s Code. There need not be—indeed, there MUST NOT be—any special provisions to account for whatever wrong-headedness or “politically incorrect” attitudes (real or merely imputed to the defendant by the accuser or prosecutor) may have compelled the felon to commit such heinous crimes as murder, grand larceny, or smoking a cigarette in the middle of an otherwise deserted ten-acre outdoor parking lot. :rolleyes: Even though the hate-crime bills that have been introduced by Congress in recent years target only those who “willfully cause violent injury,” their ratification could ease future legislation that might further erode freedom of speech and religion. Penalizing people for their thoughts (even those, such as racism, that are abhorrent to the vast majority of our citizenry)—which is the REAL point of such legislation—undermines the very rights that it purports to protect.

The U.S. Constitution guarantees “equal protection under the law.” In their provision of “sentencing enhancement” (i.e., additional penalties for mean thoughts), hate-crime laws provide an ADVANTAGE for particular categories of victims (e.g., homosexuals, cross-dressers, trans-gender individuals, etc.) by imposing sterner—even Draconian—sentences upon those who commit crimes against people who opt for "alternative" lifestyles.

The very term “hate crime” is offensive in that it blurs such important distinctions as preference, disapproval, and genuine odium (“hatred,” if you will). Though I am a straight male who typically wears white long-sleeved button-down shirts, dark dress trousers, and what Tom Wolfe described in The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test as “shiny black F.B.I. shoes,” I’ve no objection to anyone else (male, female, hermaphrodite, or eunuch) wearing pink polka-dot pinafores, black fish-net stockings, and lizard-green stiletto pumps. My style of dress is, of course, simply my own PREFERENCE—from which no one has any right to infer that I disapprove or “hate” those who don dissimilar duds. Others clearly—but merely--DISAPPROVE of such attire, and it’s their right to disapprove, just as they may, for whatever reasons (which are none of my business), frown upon alternative “gender identity” (cross-dressing or sex-change operations) or the tenets of a religion they do not practice. But an implied preference for one, and voiced disapproval of another, doesn’t necessarily equate to HATRED of that “other.” Yet, in most of the jurisdictions that have adopted “hate crime” laws, the legal definition of “hate” is so broad as to be meaningless—or, worse, applied not only to acts of physical violence, but also to those that are merely verbal. With the terms “hate speech” and “verbal assault” having entered the lexicon of the sloppy-thinking, parental disapproval of homosexual behavior constitutes a “crime” as “hateful” as racial bigotry.

Hate-crime laws invite injustice by their imputation of "motives" no one can prove. For example, let’s say that, early on the morning of November 1, on my way back from midnight mass (November 1 being, as every Catholic schoolboy knows, a Holy Day of Obligation), my car skids into, and fatally injures, a person wearing a blonde wig, cerise miniskirt, and purple pumps. After my machine has careened off the shelf of black ice that made me lose control, I leap out of the car to check the condition of the person I’ve hit. Tragically, I find that the soul of the Honda-impacted pedestrian is already hurtling into another world. At this point, the gendarmes and paramedics arrive to investigate. As the corpse is gurneyed into the morgue-bound ambulance, I notice that the deceased is my own brother (straight as they come, before he was straightened out forevermore), who had been returning from a Halloween costume party.

Now, what might ensue from such a nightmarish occurrence? Consider these all-too-plausible possibilities:

I am charged with a “hate” crime because I took the pedestrian to be a woman; therefore, I must be misogynist--which never used to be a crime, but now that misogyny is almost always conflated with sexism, I’m indictable for the depravity of my “motive.”
I am charged with a “hate” crime because I took my felled brother to be a homosexual or a cross-dresser or a trans-gendered person. Never mind that I brake for these people, too; the very possibility that I MIGHT NOT do so constitutes cause for suspicion. Guilty by uncharitable inference.
I am charged with a “hate” crime because I took my brother, whose complexion is much swarthier than my own, to be a person of color.
I am charged with a “hate” crime because my brother’s facial features suggest to many people (and therefore could suggest to me) that he is of Semitic heritage (never mind that, being full siblings, we share an ancestry that doubtless includes several of those whom the late Graham Chapman referred to, in Life of Brian, as “Red Sea pedestrians”).
Mind you, none of this ever happened, but if the sanctimonious fascists who espouse thought-crime legislation have their way, it could.* Lord—or Lady :rolleyes: —deliver us from our “protectors”!

*For the record, my brother remains a hail, hemp-huffing, tie-dye tee-shirted inhabitant of a superannuated hippy enclave in the Santa Cruz Mountains. Here's a recent photo:

http://www.forumspile.com/Thread-Crap-Comic_book_guy.jpg

toetoe
10-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Queer times, indeed. :faint:

Farfetched as Sec. Ridge's scenario rings, I dare not reject it out of hand. I'll never forget telling a friend about Tio Felipe's psychotic break and subsequent delirium, and hearing the friend's answer to the following question I was reduced to putting:

"As to the charges of *racism,* when did Caribbeans come to personify a *race,* even in 'it-means-whatever-I-want-it-to' American English?"

The chilling answer:

"Come on, YOU know what he meant." :eek:

So not only do the righteous, all-seeing mind readers read into the speaker's mind something possibly unknowable (even to the very speaker), id est, what he means; moreover, all bystanding fighters of the good fight must also read the offenders' minds (or rely on the experts' opinions) and label accordingly.

Tip for labeling: take a demographic category and affix (-ist)as a suffix. For extra credit, use as an adjectival form without adding (-ic). The effect can be very caust, but as it's in service of the right cause, it's allowed, AND you can sound like Angela Davis. :jump: The dualist, simplist methods of these accusers are, by any yardst, more transparent than the plot of "Myst Pizza."

Now, Falcon's full brother (Vulture Ridge, by Draco), may be a Hef humper, er, a hump-heifer, uh, no, a hemphuffer (THAT'S it :cool: ), but is he hoofhearted, as we can claim to be ? Someday I'll see Vulch's aerie, God willing and the creek don't boulder up.

Oh, God, F'ridge, you wrote "misogynist" without the indefinite article
preceding it !?! (EEK) You just forgot it ... RIGHT ?

My little brother, while still in grammar school, came up with a shocking improvised lyric for an Xmas carol. His version was, "Don we now our leather jackets, fa la la, fa la la, la la la ... Shocking that he did not a day of Juvenile Hall time for that. I suppose I DID train him rather well. ;)

I propose another Commandment: "Thou shalt not trip when thou canst merely tie thy shoe." So there they are --- eleven Commandments.

falconridge
10-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Oh, God, F'ridge, you wrote "misogynist" without the indefinite article preceding it !?! (EEK) You just forgot it ... RIGHT ?
:blush: Yup. Just a digital mis-strike--or a missed strike (or is it keystroke?). Anyway, missing that stroke was key.

Without the indefinite article, misogynistic would have done--but that construction, being enclitic ;) , could bring me no end of grief. :eek: :rolleyes:

Bowling along,
Falcon "Beer Frame" Rich

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/enclitic

falconridge
10-19-2007, 05:21 PM
In my earlier post, of course I meant "hale [NOT hail] hemp-huffing, tie-dye tee-shirted inhabitant of a superannuated hippy enclave ... " :blush:

Forgive the nonstandard orthography. I was thinking of Jacqui Jeras's last weather update on CNN.

http://www.gogomag.com/jj/x_jacquijeras2.jpg
Jacqui Jeras, about to tell us about hail in the plains states.

toetoe
10-19-2007, 05:56 PM
I ask you to imagine "enclitic" without the suffix of (-ic) and the jail term faced by the scribe of said stripped-down model. I ask you to further consider the potential number of ships sunken by subsequent lip-loosening. You think THIS is a tonguelashing ? Well, do ya, pink ?

As Klaus Kielbasa said to Linda Lovelace, yer goin' down, baby. :p

bigmack
10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
1: Hate crime, (AKA) bias motivated crime, (AKA) we know what you were thinking crime, (AKA) Lenny “The Nose” McKlowsky, is all too often generated by the self-declared victim throwing the prescript of objective justice an abated blow. (AKA) A Sockdolager, (AKA) The Big Waterloo, (AKA) The Final Whamie, (AKA) Monty “The Elbow” Schikamanski.

2: Black, shiny, FBI shoes are the familiar go-to in Mackland and note that TWolfe also talks of boots with Caliente Dude Triple A toes, currently lacking in this hombres roster of footwear choices & will more than likely remain so.

3: As both are deft urban dwellers I suggest the sib situated in the “superannuated hippy enclave in the Santa Cruz Mountains” be anointed PigeonRidge as it offers a catchy false rhyme and could easily be spun off for naming questionable plots/developments in and/or around the delightful Salton Sea area should they ever come around for some "poor sucka's".

4: Charles “Tree” Ogletree pirated a vast six paragraphs from a Professor located in New Haven for his All Deliberate Speed: Reflections on the First Half-Century of Brown v. Board of Education. He would have penned it himself but the publisher hounded him and the 6P’s came in handy.

E: For what it’s worth, this viewer has dialed in a little Scottish film offered on the Sundance Chanel this eve for inclusion on the DVR entitled Morvern Callar of a novel theft and also highly recommend the Liev Schreiber directed, Everything is Illuminated.

7: Jacqui Jeras ain't got nothing on the caliente Mary Gamarra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1cNMwhDrk

falconridge
10-19-2007, 07:45 PM
Jacqui Jeras ain't got nothing on the caliente Mary Gamarra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT1cNMwhDrk

Agreed on Señorita Gamarra. ¡Ella sabe cómo criar a MIS temperatura! Muchas gracias, granmack.

On another front, we have Gabriela Grechi creating a heat wave of her own, though her hemline would indicate she's expecting a Tyrrhenian tsunami to swallow up the whole Italian littoral. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnOHZt87mcM&mode=related&search (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnOHZt87mcM&mode=related&search)=

I'll skip the jokes about famished Gabriela's being welcome to nosh on my Italian sub any time she's feeling peckish. Suffice, for now, to remind GG that Polish sausages tend to be much larger than the Paisano variety.

--Falc N. Ridgeski
Proud to be Polish

bigmack
10-19-2007, 08:09 PM
¡Ella sabe cómo criar a MIS temperatura! Muchas gracias, granmack.
La temperatura creciente y más

Gabriela Grechi her hemline would indicate she's expecting a Tyrrhenian tsunami to swallow up the whole Italian littoral.
G's reading from a clipboard offers further proof that Italia is mired in a gadget world void of much, ie. teleprompters.

The aforementioned littoral had to re-read by yours truly to ensure that a "C"ensured coast was clear.

As fetching as Italian woman are they are quick to impart a Va Via and continue to struggle, as all women do, to PPark.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYXbddoVjTY

toetoe
10-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Jackie Nespral. :jump:

bigmack
10-19-2007, 08:45 PM
Jackie Nespral. :jump:
Charlottesville rides shotgun, Tampa's in the backseat & Miami's in the trunk.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/newsanc.jpg

The Judge
10-19-2007, 10:52 PM
If it's not a threat what is it? Bad taste?Poor form? Free Speech? Give it a name and how is it that these nooses "just happen" to turn-up where the black persons office or where "they" congregate? Why isn't the noose at a white persons place?

While you are explaining that I suppose by the same logic it wouild be "free speech' if someone hung a rubber on you wife's/ daughter office door or where they happen to hang-out (get it, hang-out). I'm sure you all would be very objective and tell them thaey where just being too sensitive and its just a silly expression of "free speech". Just remove the condom say nothing go about your business stop being a such a whiner. You guys are full of it, as long as it something you argree with in your heart you come-up with crappy one sided arguements that don't hold water.

Tom
10-20-2007, 10:27 AM
If it's not a threat what is it? Bad taste?Poor form? Free Speech? Give it a name and how is it that these nooses "just happen" to turn-up where the black persons office or where "they" congregate? Why isn't the noose at a white persons place?They don't just happen to show up there. How old are you? Are that ignorant? Never mind, rhetorical question.

While you are explaining that I suppose by the same logic it wouild be "free speech' if someone hung a rubber on you wife's/ daughter office door or where they happen to hang-out (get it, hang-out). Would you charge someone with attempted rape if they did? Would THAT be a threat? I'm sure you all would be very objective and tell them thaey where just being too sensitive and its just a silly expression of "free speech". Just remove the condom say nothing go about your business stop being a such a whiner. You guys are full of it, as long as it something you argree with in your heart you come-up with crappy one sided arguements that don't hold water.

I never said it was a good idea, never said it wasn't meant ot be an insult. Is flipping the bird to someone a threat? If you are going to live in this world, you need to be able to identify real problems and threats fom the phoney ones. In other words, grow a set and suck it up. When so many people ract like they did to a noose hanging there, who won that one?
Ignoring it and addressing real problems would put those that hung it there in the role of fools. They were replaced by those who chose to fight a losing battle.

The Judge
10-20-2007, 02:11 PM
That's the question, if a note was with it the noose that said "I am going to kill you" that would be a threat but leave off the note and its not a threat a noose alone doesn't go far enough? No it's a threat thats all it could be. Just as hanging condoms on a womans office door is a threat it has one purpose to intimidate.

Tom
10-20-2007, 03:30 PM
You have wierd defintions of words. And focus on diddly-ass things.
What was a mass march by black suposed to be if not intimidating? Was THAT a threat? What purpose could they have being there? To send a message?

You do not who put the noose there and what their purpose was. You are just fast to jump on a feel good issues rather to face realities. You are the problem, you and those who think like you do.

Robert Goren
10-20-2007, 03:56 PM
If it's not a threat what is it? Bad taste?Poor form? Free Speech? Give it a name and how is it that these nooses "just happen" to turn-up where the black persons office or where "they" congregate? Why isn't the noose at a white persons place?

While you are explaining that I suppose by the same logic it wouild be "free speech' if someone hung a rubber on you wife's/ daughter office door or where they happen to hang-out (get it, hang-out). I'm sure you all would be very objective and tell them thaey where just being too sensitive and its just a silly expression of "free speech". Just remove the condom say nothing go about your business stop being a such a whiner. You guys are full of it, as long as it something you argree with in your heart you come-up with crappy one sided arguements that don't hold water. If someone hangs a condom on a woman's office door, it is sexual haressment. If the company does nothing about, it can be sued for alot of money and the company will always lose. My former employer use to take a day every year to go over employment harassment issues. This one isn't even close. There is no free speech in the office.

Tom
10-20-2007, 04:04 PM
If a woman wears a mini skirt, then refuses to put out, why is that not sexual harrasment for the man?????

toetoe
10-20-2007, 04:09 PM
Sir,

I'll have you know my crappy arguments have TWO sides (just like m'face ;) ) AND enough hot air to insure that they will hold water. Harumph.

Not to jamb Judge up --- get it, jamb ? ---, but let's dig a bit deeper --- get it, deeper ? --- and break through the generic handwringing that passes for critical thought all too often. I fear if you gave me an example of the certain threat that the Loozy Anna trashboys intentionally posed, your logical chain would get powerful sticky --- get it, sticky ? I do indeed consider the nooses examples of bad taste and exceedingly poor form, but a threat ?

Would the scumbag-hanger at my woman's orifice (oops, I meant to say office) be threatening rape ? An old-fashioned @ss-kicking ? A spanking ? I feel no threat from a condom, and nor would my woman, I confidently predict. I mean, she IS just a woman and therefore handicapped. Hell, if she were a transgendered-up pseudolesbian of color, she'd REALLY need protection, as no one in white bigoted male Amurka could ever understand, right ? Still, my woman would be a big girl about it, and maybe just kick some no-TV, no-Al-Charlatan, no-newspaper, no-Hundred-Geek-March @SS ! Far from being misolatectic (rubber-hating, I think), I am PRO-phylactic. They come in handy, indeed they do.

All your 'how comes' and 'what ifs' will never be able to serve in place of logical thought. Now, we often hear, "What if that happened to a white guy ?" and "If a white guy said that, hoo boy," but that should count as a complaint against brain-dead film-at-11:00 public opinion, NOT as an argument in favor of legal action. Anybody with a heart/brain finds this intimidating crud just stupid as he!!, but should it necessitate its own Commandment/amendment, if it hasn't already ?

How convenient, Judge, that you try to completely discredit us by your stereotyping. You didn't say we had some good points or good intentions, you just said we ALWAYS come up with lame reasons to support our side WHEN WE BELIEVE IN SOMETHING. That part is hilarious. It seemingly implies that we think noosehanging is an indispensable part of growing up. If you've never done it, you've missed SO much, kinda like a Cadbury bar.

So, to wrap up this hyphen-fest, let me ask you ... what IS the THREAT ? :bang:

bigmack
10-20-2007, 04:43 PM
misolatectic (rubber-hating, I think)
Not in this lifetime. May I construct misocaoutchouc as hating rubber? If not, I argue it outweighs latectic.

Others include:
Misopolemical: Hating war
Misocapnic: Hating tobacoo smoke
Misogallic: Hating the French
Misosophy: The hatred of wisdom or learning
Misopogonistic: A hatred of beards
Misopater: A hater of one’s father
Misomater: A hater of one’s mother
Misogelastic: Hating laughter
Misapodysis: The hatred of undressing in front of anyone
Misocynist: Someone who hates dogs
Misotoetoe: A hater of bomb chasing horse players

toetoe
10-20-2007, 05:16 PM
Three interrogations, macromack.

1) Are you allowed to call me a B-:eek:-MBCHASER in these troubled times ? I don't theen so.

2) Am I in deep doo-doo at this point ? As a committed (certifiable, at least) copraphobe, I pray I am not. We need the distraction of some serious posters to de-trite us. :bang:

3) How could I forget to post a "Bet against Selvatica" thread ? She was in deep you-know-what against those gals. That exactor for THUH-deen dollahs was TOO EASY. :bang:

The Judge
10-20-2007, 05:20 PM
What you are saying its that a counter arguement can't be put forward unless it complies with your rules. No "what if's"who made that rule up?Answer ,you did ,out of thin air and now you act as if its real.

Let some black guy hang a rubber on some white women's door and then I would love to hear you say its free speech and not a threat. When did this change in the last 100 years I must of missed it. Its hypocrisy is what it is.

As far as noose making the paper or the news "what do think is really happening? Don't you think that the news companies decided whats going to be in the paper or on the air waves. "If it bleeds it leads" if they want to run a noose story they do if they don't you never hear about it.

The Jena 6 made the paper because a dumb DA wanted to charge some kidds with attempted murder for school yard fight not because of some noose.

The Judge
10-20-2007, 05:22 PM
For the sake of arguement lets assume the woman owns the company.

bigmack
10-20-2007, 05:54 PM
The added stamp of hate crime to any lawless activity requires someone to be further punished for their supposed opinion. Supposed, being the operative.

Your rationale says that an identical crime should be treated differently if it can be construed as being motivated by bigotry rather than other reasons or aligned with what we're supposed to assume is hate based because of the augmented fear they foster amongst others.

That's a pile of assumption, supposition and conjecture.

When did a placed condom become illegal, irrespective of race?

toetoe
10-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Your "Honor" :lol: ,

Let me suggest this anew, very S-L-O-W-L-Y. You're behaving like a simian banging away at the dactylograph in perpetuity, trusting you will eventually collide with a final draft of "Hamlet," what with your trotting out of the "what if a black guy went after a white woman" tactic. What if he did ? Could we burn that bridge when we came upon it, as big boys and girls would ?

I don't subscribe to your dim view, Judge. Apparently, you WANT these transgressions to continue. They're great for galvanizing the true believers. And when we can discriminate against Southern folk, ooh, it makes us feel so so-PHIST-icated.

I do NOT want to see this crap, but I refuse to become obsessed with it, and I won't be bullied into feeling ashamed, either. Come at me with a reasoned argument and I'll listen gladly. That's the side of human nature I choose to embrace, not the failings.

Longshot prediction (I PRAY I'm wrong): Soon the namedropping will begin, such as "You're as bad as Lefty, Derek, hcap, Limbaugh, __________ (fill in the blank :sleeping: )."

I ask again. Intimidation granted, what is the threat ?

toetoe
10-20-2007, 06:35 PM
Ah, but mack, therein lies the rub(ber). Nothing in America, and no one, exists "irrespective of race." That's not to say that "rights crusaders" want to make things otherwise. We are obsessed with it in America, but grandstanding and handwringing are the conventionally preferred methods of "dealing" with it.

Light
10-20-2007, 06:54 PM
Toe

Why are you so obssessed with condoms hanging on women's doors? Dont you have better thing to do?

toetoe
10-20-2007, 07:48 PM
A well hung condom is a joy.

O Light, can you not see that, boy ?

You Playtex boobs can never see

That latex to "The Life" is key.

Now as you claim I am obsessed

Stand down, mate, from your turfjockfest

And tell in all pentametry

Why must you be so effing twee ? :)

falconridge
10-20-2007, 10:20 PM
:lol: :lol: The best Joyce Kilmer parody I've read since Frank Jacobs's* in "The 'Mad' Poetry Round Robin." I hereby move that the Powers that Be (flyboy Francis Gary or--better!--ever near-to-my-Hart Stefanie [nee Stefania Zofia Federkiewicz]) confer upon toetoe the inaugural Paceadvantage Poetaster Prize, for producing the dog-gonedest doggerel within 8.6 Light years of Canis Major. Siriusly!

(Not to put too fine a point on it, toe, but you're a foot short of what you're asking the beaming Berkeleyite to measure up to. They're tetrameters.)

*From what's left of my own memory, here's a short draft:

"Beer"

I think that I shall never hear
A po'm lovelier than beer--
The brew that Joe's Bar has on tap,
With golden base and snowy cap,
The suds I lap up ev'ry day
Until my mem'ry melts away ...

'Til next Happy Hour,

Iamb ...

f.r.

http://www.geocities.com/elizajody/photos/hart03.jpg
Stefania Zofia Federkiewicz (left), alongside the founder of the Robert Wagner School of Fine Acting (select alumni: Sofia Coppola [Godfather III], Jennifer Lopez [prima inter pares in Gigli], Keanu Reeves [Devil's Advocate], Britney Spears [Crossroads]; Lifetime Achievement Award: Chuck Norris; Dishonorable Mention: Jean-Claude Van Damme)

bigmack
10-21-2007, 02:34 AM
From the octosyllablic verse in homage to a sheathing love sock comes a response lined with references as diverse as the poems of Alfred J. Kilmer to Alfred E. Neuman’s MadMag issue #125 of March ’69 to the U2 downed pilot surnamed Powers and the like, Polish “You can call me Steph” Federkiewicz, who became stagenamely emPowered in show bidness to a constellation known also as “The Dog of Orion”, and ultimately resting in place with frightful thespians huddled around the dubious talents of the one they call, RJ.

That was quite a ride.

toetoe
10-21-2007, 12:18 PM
"Hard" on the banks of da Ribber Charles, I confess at the Doggerel Tree, it IS tetrametry. :bang:

Dudes, SIRIUSLY, was she a thespian ? Whoa, and was William really caught Holden ? I knew about the great Robert --- we just called him Bobby --- Mitchum, of course.

Frothily yours from the Land of Sky Blue Waters, I am most assuredly NOT

Lowell D. Cox

P. S. Anyone else ever come across Tolkien's sell-out tie-in for Burgermeister Beer, "Lowell D. Cox and the Treebeards ?" (:Headshaking emoticon, and not just at myself; at J.R.R.) tt

toetoe
10-21-2007, 05:20 PM
Iamb wot iamb. Toot toot.

Indulto
10-21-2007, 08:36 PM
... I hereby move that the Powers that Be (flyboy Francis Gary or--better!--ever near-to-my-Hart Stefanie [nee Stefania Zofia Federkiewicz]) confer upon toetoe the inaugural Paceadvantage Poetaster Prize, for producing the dog-gonedest doggerel within 8.6 Light years of Canis Major. Siriusly!...
http://www.geocities.com/elizajody/photos/hart03.jpg
Stefania Zofia Federkiewicz (left), alongside the founder of the Robert Wagner School of Fine Acting (select alumni: Sofia Coppola [Godfather III], Jennifer Lopez [prima inter pares in Gigli], Keanu Reeves [Devil's Advocate], Britney Spears [Crossroads]; Lifetime Achievement Award: Chuck Norris; Dishonorable Mention: Jean-Claude Van Damme)
The Girl From U.N.C.L.E. always triggered aunts in my pants, but was at the height of her Powers as a rival private eye in a Rockford Files episode. If only she were on my case ...

Indulto
10-22-2007, 12:17 AM
I believe there is a shot from that Rockford episode in the 11th segment of this video which includes other more glamorous shots as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUH5SrEVwHU&mode=related&search (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUH5SrEVwHU&mode=related&search)=

toetoe
10-24-2007, 04:32 PM
Great Stef stuff. :jump: She suddenly reminds me of a less full bodied Kate "In Again Out Again" Nelligan." Remember Kate from 'Eye of the Needle?' DOIIIING !!

I remember seeing a great actor reduced to playing the role of a mad scientist on 'Hart to Hart,' one Peter Donat. He was great in his own right, and the son of Robert Donat (Goodbye Mr. Chips, etc.), a thesponic giant.

One day about 10 or 12 years ago, Peter Donat walked into my store, and I asked, "Aren't you Peter Donat?" The reply: "Well I USED to be." :lol:

I had to accost him for a reason other than starf@#&ing --- his ex-sister-in-law, Sabra Learned, had also been an occasional customer, and I had to share with Sir Peter. His ex-wife, of course, is "Ma Walton," the great Michael Learned (the Boat Ashore).