PDA

View Full Version : Just a terrible, terrible day

andicap
01-05-2003, 09:07 PM
As any who sees my avatar could guess, I am in deep mourning tonight after witnessesing one of the worst choke jobs of any football team since the Houston Oilers back in 1992 (93?).
Ahead 38-14 late in the 3rd quarter, the NY Giants proceeded to play not to lose, made a bunch of mistakes, had two bad field goal snaps, dumb penalties, no defense, etc. and lost 39-38 ruining my year already.

The worst breakdown I've seen in 10 years. Bad coaching, defense, everything. Ruined a terrific effort by the Giant offense.

I'm just sick I tell you, I'm sick.

:mad: :(

smf
01-05-2003, 09:15 PM
Want to feel better?

Replay the tape on those 2 wins vs the Cowdogs this year you boys had. Hit the pause button when the camera shows Jer-reh Jones on the sideline with that look of disbelief and bewilderment on his (surgically enhanced) face.

That'll pep ya up some.....always works for me :)

Hey, they had a good year. Just got beat, it happens. At least they fought back, I know most nfl teams w/h given up after the last TD.

Zaf
01-05-2003, 09:18 PM
You have my sympathies Andy. That was horrible. I am not a fan of either team but felt really bad for the Giants. The Cleveland fans must feel pretty bad today also.

Andy is Fassel taking a lot of heat in the NY media ?? Will they be calling for his job ??

I'm sure Sid Rosenberg will eat him alive on his show tomorrow morning.

Just wondering what the NY sentiment is like.

ZAFONIC

PaceAdvantage
01-05-2003, 09:22 PM
You have my sympathy Andy...that was a horrible turn of events, and an equally awful ending...they had more than a few chances to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat....

Sorry, but I have to do this....

J....E....T....S....

JETS....JETS....JETS!!!!!

Doug
01-05-2003, 09:37 PM
I didn't get to see the 2nd half of the 49ers game as I turned the tv off at halftime because I had already hit my over bet (over/under was 40)

Doug

sq764
01-05-2003, 09:42 PM
Well, as an Eagles fan, I will take the high road and not say anything except that seeing them lose is not as sweet as seeing Dallas lose in their heyday.

Zaf
01-05-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by PaceAdvantage
You have my sympathy Andy...that was a horrible turn of events, and an equally awful ending...they had more than a few chances to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat....

Sorry, but I have to do this....

J....E....T....S....

JETS....JETS....JETS!!!!!

Boy PA you are cruel, I am also a Jet fan but didn't feel the need
to bury Andy any further.

ZAFONIC

BillW
01-05-2003, 11:52 PM
My sympathies Andi.

That last play on the attempted FG should cost some coach his job. What in hell were they thinking? ... a complete team brain fart. :confused:

freeneasy
01-06-2003, 08:02 AM
all the place holder had to do was spike the ball right then and that would have stopped the clock right then and that would have left em with a couple of seconds left on the clock. Well even with another try the snap wouldve probably of went over the holders head anyway andi

andicap
01-06-2003, 09:13 AM
What really hurts is that the Giants brought the long snapper in this week specifically for that job. That's all he was paid for and he screwed it up!!
Then the holder lost his head and yes, could have spiked the ball to get another shot.
But the Giants lost in so many ways.
Fassel went conservative in the third quarter instead of staying with their downfield passing game.
The defense played passively,not to lose instead of the aggressive way they had played for 2 1/2 quarters.
The defensive line had no rush against Garcia and when they did he was too fast for them.
Those two penalties late in the game that cost the Giants after the 49ers would have been hit for 15 yard unsportsmenlike conduct penalties and would have to kick off at the 20 or so.

(sigh)

Zaf
01-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by andicap
What really hurts is that the Giants brought the long snapper in this week specifically for that job. That's all he was paid for and he screwed it up!!
Then the holder lost his head and yes, could have spiked the ball to get another shot.
But the Giants lost in so many ways.
Fassel went conservative in the third quarter instead of staying with their downfield passing game.
The defense played passively,not to lose instead of the aggressive way they had played for 2 1/2 quarters.
The defensive line had no rush against Garcia and when they did he was too fast for them.
Those two penalties late in the game that cost the Giants after the 49ers would have been hit for 15 yard unsportsmenlike conduct penalties and would have to kick off at the 20 or so.

(sigh)

Maybe with 3 minutes left they should of went when they were faced with 4th & 1 rather than attempting the field goal. It is my understanding that the Giants have been having trouble with their kicking game and long snapping throughout the year. Well hindsight is always 100%. I guess that finishes any chance of a Jet-Giant Superbowl.

ZAFONIC

GR1@HTR
01-06-2003, 11:05 AM
I ain't a real giant fan or jets fan, but just love NFL football...

But the giants really played well when fassel started calling the plays. Tiki Barber is one of my favorite players. That guy is a monster do it all back..

The Jets Rock. Their little QB reminds me of a smaller younger Joey Montana. A smart passer w/ excellent fundamentals. Lavern Coles is a bad man, their White Receiver is tuff and Moss is a hoss. I really like their coach as well. A good stand up guy. Same w/ the giants coach.

hurrikane
01-06-2003, 01:23 PM
well...I'm no Giants fan either. Hmm..not a Jets fan either.

Jet/Giant superbowl? I think Zafonic has anouther kind of bowl working. :D

canuck
01-06-2003, 03:28 PM
Two things---do you think Shockey may have hotdogged a little too much after putting them up 14-0??? Instant karma???

And they (Giants) covered the spread easily--smacking the book ALWAYS killed the pain for me....

Hey--my freakin Leafs havent had a sniff since 1967!!!!

Tom
01-06-2003, 06:03 PM
You think you got it bad, I live 90 miles fro Buffalo, which means I get to watch the Bills every Sunday...for 100 years, or so! Argggh!
Do you know what the zip code for Buffalo is?
As in 0h-for-four (Super Bowls)
All the GOOD games on every week and I get the Bills.
I would even rather watch a Saints game than the Bills.
Live is hard in western NY.
Snow, the Bills, more snow, *sigh*

andicap
01-06-2003, 06:31 PM
OK, now it turns out the NFL has conceded the refs made a major gaffe at the end and should have let the Giants have another shot at the field goal.

You see the guy downfield who was clobbered was not the illegal receiver. He was legal. The Giant who was downfield illegally was another lineman, not Seubert, the one who was interfered with at the 3 yd line.
The NFL said that the game couldn't end on offsetting penalties and the Giants should have gotten another kick at the same place.

Of course, I'm sure they would have botched it again.

:mad:

Zaf
01-06-2003, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by Tom
You think you got it bad, I live 90 miles fro Buffalo, which means I get to watch the Bills every Sunday...for 100 years, or so! Argggh!
Do you know what the zip code for Buffalo is?
As in 0h-for-four (Super Bowls)
All the GOOD games on every week and I get the Bills.
I would even rather watch a Saints game than the Bills.
Live is hard in western NY.
Snow, the Bills, more snow, *sigh*

Tom At least you have Finger Lakes.

ZAFONIC

BillW
01-06-2003, 07:37 PM
Originally posted by zafonic
Tom At least you have Finger Lakes.

ZAFONIC

And the Saber^H^H^H^H^H I mean Rochester Amerks :D

MarylandPaul@HSH
01-07-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Tom
You think you got it bad, I live 90 miles fro Buffalo, which means I get to watch the Bills every Sunday...for 100 years, or ....*snip*

Geez, you just can't please some people. Only one team in the decade of the 90's won more games...the Cowboys. Sure, the Super Bowls hurt; but as a Bills fan, I had more happy Mondays than nearly anyone else in the country! Now, after a couple of years in salary cap jail, they're on the improve again. I can easily think of at least 15 worse NFL cities.

Sure, the weather sucks, but look at it this way...no earthquakes, no hurricanes, no killer tornados, and bars that stay open till 4am :D. I'd probably still be living there if you could actually find a job that pays anything.

BTW, my Dad was from Canandaigua. I remember eating at a restaurant named "Caruso's" when I was a kid. I loved the way they used a cake decorator to draw a mashed potato border around the steaks :p

MP

Boris
01-07-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by andicap

(sigh)

Actually, that is not true. You are only allowed to spike the ball to stop the clock when you take the snap directly from the center, not on any deep snap.

Tom
01-07-2003, 06:35 PM
I live in Canandaigua and Caruso's is still open, although it is now a party house. The son of the owner lives across the street from me. It was THE place to eat in the whole damn area-people would drive 50 miles for dinner. I even worked there as a dishwasher once. It was like a city inside.
1969-tail end of a hurricane flooded Canandaigua Lake and filled their basement with water. I was working two jobs then-at the local dairy and the local florist down the street (next to Roc's-rmember that name?) Anyway, both my bosses farmed me out to do whatever needed doin' to help them out. After a couple days of round-the-clock working, all of us volunteers got a reward-whatever and as much as we could carry out of the freezers, coolers, pantries, etc.!
I was serving fillet mignon for apperitzers that week!
I think if I'd know about Guiness Records then I would have gotten in for "most shrimp eaten and lived" I cooked lobster for breakfast-no way to store a lot of food in 1969-had to eat it or lose it. I lost nothing <G>
Do you have any relaties still in the area? If you ever get in the 'hood," let me know-lunch at FL is on me.

BillW
01-07-2003, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by Boris
Actually, that is not true. You are only allowed to spike the ball to stop the clock when you take the snap directly from the center, not on any deep snap.

But he did have time to throw a highly believable attempted pass into the grandstands :)