PDA

View Full Version : Is the typical horseplayer a fat slob??

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 03:01 PM
(Could have spent more time with a smoother title, but...)

For so many years I would get irritated at my non-racing friend’s portrayal of horseplayers as ‘a bunch of fat, shirt stained, beer drinking, smoking slobs’. And for years it became harder and harder to ignore the fact that he wasn’t too far off. Last weekend I went to simulcasting and actually took a look around to the ‘regulars’ that are there. Obviously, there was no smoking, as it is illegal here, and the shirt stained, slob picture was not prevalent. But I did notice generally speaking, the regulars consisted of overweight, 45-60 year olds who generally were covered in jeans, running suits and t-shirts.

I guess the fact that ‘we’ spend a ton of time on our asses, perousing through the DRF or Sports Eye, more hours with our faces in our laptops playing with software, then more hours on horseracing sites typing and reading, it’s no wonder ‘we’re’ generally a fat, slobbish looking group of people. Obviously this does not describe everyone, but I would be willing to guess it’s a good portion of the horseracing wagering population.

Just wondered if everyone has the same type of regular crowd at their local wagering establishment.

Robert Goren
10-17-2007, 03:09 PM
45-60 is bit young, more like 55-75. Otherwise you are right on.

SMOO
10-17-2007, 03:15 PM
If you are somewhat slim, took a bath in the last week & under the age of 60 the female tellers look at you like you are a greek god. :D

skate
10-17-2007, 03:33 PM
you get older, you use your head a little more.

and you also get out of shape.

but then ...the eternal irrational in/about the human life says that only the "out of shape'/"elders" play the horses.

But but but , when we think about IT, its only a mater of time. time will tell.

soon and before, the eighteen year old will come back to the track...because...:ThmbUp:

GameTheory
10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
Do the people at the track even represent horseplayers anymore? The demographics of this forum seem quite different than the people you see at the track. I'm under 40 and thin, myself. I've only been to a track once in this millenium, and that was just to see what my local track looked like (Arapahoe Park) since I had lived here a couple of years and never seen it.

chickenhead
10-17-2007, 03:59 PM
demographically speaking, isn't the typical American an older, overweight slob*?

*(no offense meant to older overweight slobs. I'm a young skinny slob, but I don't deny my destiny)

Ron
10-17-2007, 04:03 PM
the female tellers look at you like you are a greek god. :D

Like that's a real treat...

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Do the people at the track even represent horseplayers anymore? The demographics of this forum seem quite different than the people you see at the track. I'm under 40 and thin, myself. I've only been to a track once in this millenium, and that was just to see what my local track looked like (Arapahoe Park) since I had lived here a couple of years and never seen it.

Hey that is one of the reasons it nice to go to the track. In the regular world, I am slightly overweight, but at the track I am a manicure short of JFK Jr..

timtam
10-17-2007, 05:02 PM
The OTB facility I go to looks like an old age home. Guys with walkers,

oxygen and all types of ailments. I'm 57 and they call me KID. I kind of

admire alot of these guys though thinking they're spending their remaining

years at a sport they at least like. (Not to mention love) but one thing

I do notice not many leave with a smile on their face.

jballscalls
10-17-2007, 05:39 PM
thats half the fun of going to the track is the people watching. and i gotta admit, sometimes it does make even me feel svelt!

Indulto
10-17-2007, 05:40 PM
... For so many years I would get irritated at my non-racing friend’s portrayal of horseplayers as ‘a bunch of fat, shirt stained, beer drinking, smoking slobs’. And for years it became harder and harder to ignore the fact that he wasn’t too far off. Last weekend I went to simulcasting and actually took a look around to the ‘regulars’ that are there. Obviously, there was no smoking, as it is illegal here, and the shirt stained, slob picture was not prevalent. But I did notice generally speaking, the regulars consisted of overweight, 45-60 year olds who generally were covered in jeans, running suits and t-shirts.

I guess the fact that ‘we’ spend a ton of time on our asses, perousing through the DRF or Sports Eye, more hours with our faces in our laptops playing with software, then more hours on horseracing sites typing and reading, it’s no wonder ‘we’re’ generally a fat, slobbish looking group of people. Obviously this does not describe everyone, but I would be willing to guess it’s a good portion of the horseracing wagering population. ...Before you attempt to open a weight-loss concession franchise at OTB parlors, Jenny, you might want to find a way to remove fat between the ears of players whose thinking is so sloppy that they spend more time philosophizing about the physical appearance of other horseplayers of the same sex than preparing to place winning wagers. :lol:

gIracing
10-17-2007, 05:57 PM
your avg american is overweight.. so what's the difference?

I'm not old (24). I work out 6 days a week, jog/swim and lift weights.. I'm under 9% body fat and care too much about my health/apperance to let it slip and become "one of them".. the ones with that famous brown stain on the front of the jeans, the ones with the tub-o-lard hanging out from the pants like a prisoner trying to exsape a supermax.

Even when I'm handicapping like I"m doing now.. just out of habit..e very 30 mintues.. drop to the floor, do 30-40 pushups.. might take 1 mintue. But you are a sum of your habits

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Before you attempt to open a weight-loss concession franchise at OTB parlors, Jenny, you might want to find a way to remove fat between the ears of players whose thinking is so sloppy that they spend more time philosophizing about the physical appearance of other horseplayers of the same sex than preparing to place winning wagers. :lol:

Lighten up dude..

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
your avg american is overweight.. so what's the difference?

I'm not old (24). I work out 6 days a week, jog/swim and lift weights.. I'm under 9% body fat and care too much about my health/apperance to let it slip and become "one of them".. the ones with that famous brown stain on the front of the jeans, the ones with the tub-o-lard hanging out from the pants like a prisoner trying to exsape a supermax.

Even when I'm handicapping like I"m doing now.. just out of habit..e very 30 mintues.. drop to the floor, do 30-40 pushups.. might take 1 mintue. But you are a sum of your habits

Most of us were in good shape at 24 ;)

hbeck
10-17-2007, 06:19 PM
I am 23, all of my friends are not into horse racing. I get them to Belmont about twice a year.

I would say the average NYC horse racing fan is old... 60+.

Indulto
10-17-2007, 06:53 PM
Lighten up dude..Sorry, Jenny, I didn't realize you wanted to use the scale. ;) Hey that is one of the reasons it nice to go to the track. In the regular world, I am slightly overweight, but at the track I am a manicure short of JFK Jr..So tell me, Herve, are you overweight because you're losing or is the versa vice? :D

Pell Mell
10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
I weighed 155 till I was 65 and when my back got so bad I could hardly walk I went up to 190. My back is much better now and I'm down to 160. I can recall, when I was young, asking the Doc how I could put on weight and he said he would tell me when I came back to ask how to take it off.

There is a reason why you see so many fat, old men at the track. When these guys were growing up and going to work and raising families most of them didn't have any spare money for the track. They loved it but could only go once in awhile. They were mostly blue collar workers and most are not well educated. A lot of them didn't or couldn't take care of themselves because they had kids to feed. I'm 75 now and everything is going to hell. I can't see like I used to, my hands shake, it takes me 10 minutes to take a piss, a mile walk puffs me out, my reflexes are much slower and worst of all, I have a much younger and beautiful wife and my get up and go got up and went.

So don't knock the old guys and remember one thing, they have been where you are but you may never get to where they are.:lol:

DaylightDies
10-17-2007, 08:11 PM
I am 28 right now, and I plan on one day being one of those overweight, dirty old men :)

But with the insights shed on this thread so far, I might go looking for love at the racetrack next week ;)

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 08:48 PM
Sorry, Jenny, I didn't realize you wanted to use the scale. ;) So tell me, Herve, are you overweight because you're losing or is the versa vice? :D

I feel sorry for people who go through life so bitter..

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 08:52 PM
So don't knock the old guys and remember one thing, they have been where you are but you may never get to where they are.:lol:

Who's knockin em??

Pell Mell
10-17-2007, 09:26 PM
Who's knockin em??

Just a figure of speech.

Indulto
10-17-2007, 10:01 PM
I feel sorry for people who go through life so bitter..Your sorrow would be better directed toward your cluelessness.
Is the typical horseplayer a fat slob??

For so many years I would get irritated ...Yeah you could have been smoother than to use an expression that
irritated YOU. It's not that you're insensitive or unobservant; you picked up on K9Pup's probable diabetes which may well have been caused -- or been aggravated -- by being overweight. And a discussion of the topic is generally a better idea than ignoring it, so I have no problem with your initiating this thread.

However, the term "Fat Slob" is right out of an elementary school yard where bullying is one today's biggest problems. When adults perpetuate that language it has tremendous repercussions on kids and their parents. I doubt you're one of the latter or you'd already be aware of how, under certain circumstances, that term can be as hateful, discriminatory, and damaging as the n-word.

If you now understand how your thoughtless use of the term followed by your failure to correct yourself even after you became aware of its inappropriatemess, maybe this "exercise" was worthwhile.

wonatthewire1
10-17-2007, 10:10 PM
If you are somewhat slim, took a bath in the last week & under the age of 60 the female tellers look at you like you are a greek god. :D

I haven't seen a female teller in a few years but if my memory is correct - those at the MED were either fast approaching or just passing 60.

There was a waitress at the 2nd floor bar that was an attractive blond, but we're talking 15 years ago when I would go in there. She'd be close to 40-50 by now

;)

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 10:10 PM
Your sorrow would be better directed toward your cluelessness.Yeah you could have been smoother than to use an expression that
irritated YOU. It's not that you're insensitive or unobservant; you picked up on K9Pup's probable diabetes which may well have been caused -- or been aggravated -- by being overweight. And a discussion of the topic is generally a better idea than ignoring it, so I have no problem with your initiating this thread.

However, the term "Fat Slob" is right out of an elementary school yard where bullying is one today's biggest problems. When adults perpetuate that language it has tremendous repercussions on kids and their parents. I doubt you're one of the latter or you'd already be aware of how, under certain circumstances, that term can be as hateful, discriminatory, and damaging as the n-word.

If you now understand how your thoughtless use of the term followed by your failure to correct yourself even after you became aware of its inappropriatemess, maybe this "exercise" was worthwhile.

This is a horseracing forum, a forum for adults. If you cannot handle adult conversation, then move on. If you are that easily offended, please don't go near the offtopic section or you may have to be talked off a ledge.

I have a small child, so I don't need the righteous lesson from some oversensitive stiff. Keep it to yourself. 99% of the discussion on this site shouldn't be conveyed to a child, I would hope you, as an adult would know this. Ad if your child or anyone else's for that matter is on this site reading these posts, then you (they) are not doing your job as a parent. If you were unaware of this, then you learned a lesson and maybe this exercise was worthwhile.

thespaah
10-17-2007, 10:20 PM
You could have easily been describing the average three league per week bowler.

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 10:26 PM
You could have easily been describing the average three league per week bowler.

Oh I did over on Spareadvantage.com. However, this is still a horseracing site.

mrharness
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
I tend to favor the Greek-god type being I am Greek. But in all fairness, an old Greek-god.

Indulto
10-17-2007, 10:29 PM
This is a horseracing forum, a forum for adults. If you cannot handle adult conversation, then move on. If you are that easily offended, please don't go near the offtopic section or you may have to be talked off a ledge.

I have a small child, so I don't need the righteous lesson from some oversensitive stiff. Keep it to yourself. 99% of the discussion on this site shouldn't be conveyed to a child, I would hope you, as an adult would know this. Ad if your child or anyone else's for that matter is on this site reading these posts, then you (they) are not doing your job as a parent. If you were unaware of this, then you learned a lesson and maybe this exercise was worthwhile.Demonstrating that you are capable of clear and focused communication makes your first post all the more lamentable, but it's nice to know I wasn't fighting beneath my weight class. :D

DeanT
10-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Don't know about you guys, but I am smokin hot. Some might say a super-hottie.:rolleyes:

Then again, I dont qualify, since a quick glance at my bankroll tells me I am not a horseplayer.:)

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 10:47 PM
Demonstrating that you are capable of clear and focused communication makes your first post all the more lamentable, but it's nice to know I wasn't fighting beneath my weight class. :D

Ok guy, no one cares what you think at this point. The thread is semi tongue in cheek and everyone but you is mature enough to speak of it appropriately.

Go leave the adults to speak and watch the rest of Steel Magnolias.

GameTheory
10-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Your sorrow would be better directed toward your cluelessness.Yeah you could have been smoother than to use an expression that

If you now understand how your thoughtless use of the term followed by your failure to correct yourself even after you became aware of its inappropriatemess, maybe this "exercise" was worthwhile.You come out of the blue with totally uncalled for insults, and now you're lecturing on manners? It is getting very hard to read this forum with guys like you around causing trouble all the time. If you aren't interested in contributing to a topic, just stay out of the thread -- why is that so hard?

dylbert
10-17-2007, 11:56 PM
Hey, don't forget my Crocs! I wear 'em with jeans & shirt to LaD or with khakis, button-down shirt, and sport coat to FG clubhouse.

LOL... yeah, I'm over 50 and have been called young man at OTB.

Indulto
10-17-2007, 11:58 PM
You come out of the blue with totally uncalled for insults, and now you're lecturing on manners? It is getting very hard to read this forum with guys like you around causing trouble all the time. If you aren't interested in contributing to a topic, just stay out of the thread -- why is that so hard?By all means, continue your discussion of heavyweight horseplaying unencumbered. Manner's wasn't the point, but you're no less entitled to call 'em as you see 'em.

betchatoo
10-18-2007, 12:01 AM
I'm 60, I'm fat, and I'm fine with that. And when I hit a $4,000.00 pick 4, I feel like a Greek God

JustRalph
10-18-2007, 12:19 AM
I am slightly overweight, but at the track I am a manicure short of JFK Jr..

if you get the manicure it would only mean you can't fly a plane worth a shit ?

I find the thread a little offensive.....but I am fifty to seventy pounds overweight..........I find myself described in it in more than a few posts............and few different phases..........

At 24 I was able to do the push-ups and carry the machine gun through combat school.....could snap out fifty push-ups whenever our squad got in trouble. :lol: ........went through 3 different police academies in my 20's .......then spent about 12 years driving around in a police car eating for virtually free every day.......bailed out and took an office job for ten years. .........got hurt in a car accident about 7 years ago........been unable to do much physically for a while due to back issues.......probably going to have to have surgery later this year......it's all relative............

btw, those decent looking 20 year olds sometimes turn out to be decent looking fifty year olds? Priorities change......as you get older..........you young guys remember........youth is wasted on the young...........some day you will understand..........

Kelso
10-18-2007, 01:03 AM
I haven't seen a female teller in a few years but if my memory is correct - those at the MED were either fast approaching or just passing 60.

Check out MTH ... a couple of damned nice-lookin' chicks in their early 20s. (They work the lower-grandstand windows ... I guess it's a seniority thing.)

JustRalph
10-18-2007, 02:19 AM
I think the Beulah gals started out as tellers or something besides marketing

harnesslover
10-18-2007, 09:37 AM
[QUOTE=JustRalph]if you get the manicure it would only mean you can't fly a plane worth a shit ?

I find the thread a little offensive.....but I am fifty to seventy pounds overweight..........I find myself described in it in more than a few posts............and few different phases..........

QUOTE]

JR, you are a reasonable human being, so I will ask you, why would this thread offend you? And in what way?

Robert Goren
10-18-2007, 01:06 PM
The point is that that the people there are old and there are fewer and fewer of them every day. The industry has know this for some time but hasn't figured out what to do about it. They need to get some the "ball cap kids" that poker has or in 20 years or so no one will be there. Celebrities used to go to the track, now they go to poker tournaments. A new poker book comes out every other week. A new horse racing book comes twice a year.I work with with alot kids in their twenties and none of them bet on horses. They bet on football, play poker and are into fantasy sports. The horse industry needs some of them.

SMOO
10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
I work with with alot kids in their twenties and none of them bet on horses. They bet on football, play poker and are into fantasy sports. The horse industry needs some of them.

:ThmbUp:

Even if they do make me look like less of a Greek god. :lol:

46zilzal
10-18-2007, 01:37 PM
There is no typical fan. I find it exactly the opposite: a melting pot of people from all walks of life.

GaryG
10-18-2007, 01:44 PM
A high % of the folks at my OTB (Scott County VA) are seniors. Most are in good shape though, possibly because a good number of them are farmers and ranchers. I weighed 200 when I was in high school and 235 today.

Greyfox
10-18-2007, 01:45 PM
I'm 60, I'm fat, and I'm fine with that. And when I hit a $4,000.00 pick 4, I feel like a Greek God

That sounds like me. I hit a big winner and felt like a Greek God.
So I made a move on young female teller.
She said "You feel like Greek God? You're just an old God danged Greek."

jma
10-18-2007, 01:57 PM
The whole "fat slob" thing is pretty rude, IMO. I'm not "offended" but it's not how anyone needs to start a thread.

On the other topic people have been referring to, I think the younger fans of horse racing are playing more from home than the track. Also, not that racing doesn't have a problem with its fanbase getting older, but most racetracks run during the week during the day. If you go into a casino on a weekday at 3pm, it sure isn't filled with 25-year-olds either! The crowd at the "booming" casinos is senior citizens as well, though of course there are a lot more of them than at the track. :)

Fastracehorse
10-18-2007, 02:47 PM
Bikram Yoga to be exact - also known as 'hot yoga.'

Having a workout regiment is a very important part of my life.

Horse players in general are highly competitive individuals - the yoga tames this ugly side for me.

fffastt

JustRalph
10-18-2007, 03:37 PM
JR, you are a reasonable human being, so I will ask you, why would this thread offend you? And in what way?

maybe offensive is a little harsh. Like poking a dog with a stick......... :lol:

I don't go to the OTB's but do go to the track a couple times a year maybe. I will try to dress slimmer on my next trip......... :lol:

harnesslover
10-18-2007, 03:50 PM
maybe offensive is a little harsh. Like poking a dog with a stick......... :lol:

I don't go to the OTB's but do go to the track a couple times a year maybe. I will try to dress slimmer on my next trip......... :lol:

The thread was in no way intended to poke a dog with a stick.. The point was that the 'image' that is portrayed of the 'horseracing regular' is oddly on point with the reality of the crowd as a whole.

At the very least, I can see how one might construct such an opinion after visiting an OTB a few times.

badcompany
10-19-2007, 09:13 AM
At the very least, I can see how one might construct such an opinion after visiting an OTB a few times.

I can't speak for other parts of the country, but the typical patron of a NYC OTB is a broken toilet of a human being.

DanG
10-19-2007, 09:16 AM
I can't speak for other parts of the country, but the typical patron of a NYC OTB is a broken toilet of a human being.
I have never heard a human described quite that way…and hopefully never will again.

samyn on the green
10-19-2007, 09:43 AM
I can't speak for other parts of the country, but the typical patron of a NYC OTB is a broken toilet of a human being.Indeed, you hit that nail on the head chief. Not only are the patrons broken toilets but they are backed up with a colon full of diarrhea festering in its bowl while it it is 99 degrees out and humid.

NYCOTB has given the horseplayer a bad name in the New York area. It would be best that they close these OTB dumps down and have the patrons that wager there open up NYRA rewards accounts and start supporting the game instead of government corruption.

DanG
10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
Indeed, you hit that nail on the head chief. Not only are the patrons broken toilets but they are backed up with a colon full of diarrhea festering in its bowl while it it is 99 degrees out and humid.

Thanks; and top of the morning to you!

Jean Luc would be proud you’re his namesake. :rolleyes:

Suff
10-19-2007, 09:50 AM
I used to go the track all the time. 3-5 days a week. I've been to OTB's a gazillion times. The folks I saw were by and large a disgrace. Myself included, and I was extra bizarre because I was frequently drunk and/or high, and often up to no good.

That said, I had somewhat of epiphany last year and I stopped drinking, I lost 45 pounds ( 225 to 180), I stopped smoking, I took up Yoga, I took up jogging and I run competitive road races now, I stopped gambling about 8 months ago, I spend more time with my family, I took up helping people less fortunate through volunteer work, I stopped using profanity, as well as a number of other small but profound changes to my life.

What I did I would highly recommend to anyone, (if you can do it), because I am in the best shape of my life physically, mentally and spiritually. :ThmbUp:
I feel tremendous, and it shows, & I have amazed everyone that knew me.

Two weeks ago I was down in Manhattan at 37th and 8th and there is a Winners Circle and OTB there, and I was just walking and looked up and saw it. I have been to it many times, and I felt a little pull, ,,for less than a second. I went shopping instead.

This post was off course but whatever whatever. Good luck.

harnesslover
10-19-2007, 10:07 AM
I used to go the track all the time. 3-5 days a week. I've been to OTB's a gazillion times. The folks I saw were by and large a disgrace. Myself included, and I was extra bizarre because I was frequently drunk and/or high, and often up to no good.

That said, I had somewhat of epiphany last year and I stopped drinking, I lost 45 pounds ( 225 to 180), I stopped smoking, I took up Yoga, I took up jogging and I run competitive road races now, I stopped gambling about 8 months ago, I spend more time with my family, I took up helping people less fortunate through volunteer work, I stopped using profanity, as well as a number of other small but profound changes to my life.

What I did I would highly recommend to anyone, (if you can do it), because I am in the best shape of my life physically, mentally and spiritually. :ThmbUp:

Two weeks ago I was down in Manhattan at 37th and 8th and there is a Winners Circle and OTB there, and I was just walking and looked up and saw it. I have been to it many times, and I felt a little pull, ,,for less than a second. I went shopping instead.

That's great, seriously.. Glad you turned it around.

I too had a bit of a 'moving moment' last year.. I just decided on December 4th (my son's 2nd b-day), I would change the focus a bit. I 'regimented' my life a bit more and it's been great. I play horses and drink Saturday night and Wednesday night. Fri night is mom and dad night, the rest of the week is the little guy's time. And working out every night since has really made a difference physically and mentally.

So, similar to your story, but I decided you can do it all if you regiment things a bit.

badcompany
10-19-2007, 10:15 AM
I have never heard a human described quite that way…and hopefully never will again.

As you can see by Samyn on the Green's more accurate description, that I was actually being nice:)

DanG
10-19-2007, 10:21 AM
As you can see by Samyn on the Green's more accurate description, that I was actually being nice:)
Absolutely…

A classy toast of morning OJ to both of you!

lilmegahertz
10-19-2007, 10:24 AM
I'm 41, slender and female. But I am not a very good handicapper. Maybe that is what my problem is.....

Bruddah
10-19-2007, 10:31 AM
It's interesting to read some of the same comments I made 40+ years ago, when I first started to go to the races. There sure were a lot of older, over weight people at the races. ME?...I worked out every day. Yet, I did smoke and drink a little. I definitely spent some late nights chasing the women and hanging out with my 'Buds'.

Now, 40+ years later I only handicap the horses. It must be described as the Evolution of a Horse player. Watch out my young friends. What your seeing is a peek at your future. So, don't be too critical of those having survived the trials and tribulations of life, only to evolve into a more perfect Horse player. :lol: :bang: :D

samyn on the green
10-19-2007, 10:47 AM
You will be dead in 2 years flat. You're body is going to go into tofu revolt any day now. Unfortunately you are going to be on a nature hike with some underprivileged welfare minority children and you will keel over like you were shot with a blunderbuss at close range. Your body can't go from running on tobacco and whiskey to tofu and granola, it is too abrupt of a change to last long term. Face it there is no way out. I used to go the track all the time. 3-5 days a week. I've been to OTB's a gazillion times. The folks I saw were by and large a disgrace. Myself included, and I was extra bizarre because I was frequently drunk and/or high, and often up to no good.

harnesslover
10-19-2007, 10:49 AM
So, don't be too critical of those having survived the trials and tribulations of life, only to evolve into a more perfect Horse player. :lol: :bang: :D

Where do you see people being critical of these people?

Suff
10-19-2007, 10:59 AM
You will be dead in 2 years flat. You're body is going to go into tofu revolt any day now. Unfortunately you are going to be on a nature hike with some underprivileged welfare minority children and you will keel over like you were shot with a blunderbuss at close range. Your body can't go from running on tobacco and whiskey to tofu and granola, it is too abrupt of a change to last long term. Face it there is no way out.

:lol:

That is a Valid point, and one that I put some merit in.

But, I approach it from two angles.

#1, I'd rather live two years like this,than 20 like I was.

#2. You can manipulate Ying Yan by altering your karma.

Example, I was very selfish and inconsiderate towards women my whole life. So now I work every Sunday at Rosie's Place, a Shelter for Homeless Women. When someone says to me "Its nice to see you giving of yourself".....I say Thank you, but I know I'm not giving, I'm actually paying back!

That's how you change your Karma and disrupt the natural events you suggest ( and I agree) will happen.

But if I'm wrong, I can live with #1. One day of inner peace is worth a lifetime of inner turmoil.

GaryG
10-19-2007, 11:04 AM
One day of inner peace is worth a lifetime of inner turmoil.Congratulations....keep on the sunny side! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

samyn on the green
10-19-2007, 11:17 AM
The truth of the matter is I was just breaking chops. Looks like you've turned your life around for the better. God bless you. :lol:

Example, I was very selfish and inconsiderate towards women my whole life. So now I work every Sunday at Rosie's Place, a Shelter for Homeless Women. When someone says to me "Its nice to see you giving of yourself".....I say Thank you, but I know I'm not giving, I'm actually paying back!

That's how you change your Karma and disrupt the natural events you suggest ( and I agree) will happen.

But if I'm wrong, I can live with #1. One day of inner peace is worth a lifetime of inner turmoil.

cj's dad
10-19-2007, 12:14 PM
I attend once a week - Saturday - and have found the people here to be very diverse in age, dress, looks, etc...
There are MANY attractive female tellers, patrons, etc...
Common courteousy is the norm, not the exception :cool:

Maybe it's the proximity to DC and Northern Va. and the affluent Md. suburbs in the area. It is definitely a different crowd than the one at Pimlico.

The Pimlico crowd is not so much overweight as it is rude (profanity) and dirty. Many loud mouthed patrons SCREAMING at the TV monitors as their $2 show bet runs up the track. :D

The crowd at Keeneland is the nicest, cleanest, most well dressed group of people and staff that I have been around at ANY track, ever,IMHO. :ThmbUp:

Robert Goren
10-19-2007, 12:45 PM
I'm 41, slender and female. But I am not a very good handicapper. Maybe that is what my problem is..... I'm in love! A young lady handicapper(good or bad) is every male horse player dream. I suppose you like sports. Awh, to be 41 again.

Semipro
10-19-2007, 01:38 PM
I do most of my betting at the local OTB and The crowd(regulars)there Average age 75 average weight fat but not too many drink beer they would probably pee on themselves If they did and yes mostly slobs. Myself I'm fit and groomed but drink alot of beer(Gotta wash them losing tickets and all that crow down with something).Always tickles me when they say just wait til you old you'll lose your memory too. Hell I'm 55 and they treat me like a kid.The tellers do look at me like a Greek God but when I don't tip they look at me like a God____ Greek .

lilmegahertz
10-19-2007, 01:59 PM
I'm in love! A young lady handicapper(good or bad) is every male horse player dream. I suppose you like sports. Awh, to be 41 again.

:blush: [giggles] thank you...[said coyly]

the little guy
10-19-2007, 02:05 PM
I stopped using profanity.

I'll tell Harvey. He'll be relieved.

lilmegahertz
10-19-2007, 02:21 PM

And yes..I do like sports....

Dave Schwartz
10-19-2007, 02:31 PM
Suff takes the cure and a horse-playing female in the same thread... this is just too much to take in one day.

But I am glad for both of you.

Regards,
Dave Schwartz

lilmegahertz
10-19-2007, 03:00 PM
Suff and Harnesslover...congrats to you both. I used to have a really bad tmper but I have tried to tone it down these past few years. You're right. It is better to be nicer and let things roll off your back. I've always loved watching the horses run yet never really knew anything about reading a form. Now that I'm learning that I find it relaxes me.

46zilzal
10-19-2007, 03:57 PM
I've always loved watching the horses run yet never really knew anything about reading a form. Now that I'm learning that I find it relaxes me.
Go out to the track EARLY (4:45- 5:00 AM on a weekend) and convince someone to show you around the barns. You will ge a COMPLETELY different idea of the sport. IT IS A LOT OF HARD WORK....but enjoyable and the people are like a big family.

lilmegahertz
10-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the info.....I will give it a try....

Fastracehorse
10-19-2007, 04:53 PM

To a fellow yogi:

Nice to hear from you.

Is there a Bikram in your neck of the woods??

fffastt

Fastracehorse
10-19-2007, 04:57 PM

I don't know if Samyn on the Green was joking or what..............

But the founder of my yoga program ( Bikram - google just for fun ) says you're never too diseased or old to do yoga - so if Samyn is serious - I have to disagree with him.

I've been at it for 2 1/2 years now - I seriously luv it.

fffastt

Suff
10-19-2007, 06:04 PM
To a fellow yogi:

Nice to hear from you.

Is there a Bikram in your neck of the woods??

fffastt

I've been doing Hatha Yoga. Specifically Hatha Flow.
I go here

www.soniyoga.com (http://www.soniyoga.com/)

I've experimented with Tibetan 5 Rites, but I do two Hatha's a week. One that is predominantly strength poses, and one that is mostly stretch and balance poses.

I can do things now that I could never do in my life. Extended Crow pose, Pigeon poses, different binding poses. I'm limber and strong due to Yoga.

I love my Yoga. It's an important part of my overall well being.

Of course I was nervous at first as I'm not a Yoga type and I had immature-notions of yoga people. But under my new approach to life I ignored myself and kept an open mind, I stuck with it through the initial awkwardness and I have grown to a point where I wouldn't want to live with out it. Its powerful stuff and when I started getting better, it just took me over.

I go tommorrow morning at 9:30. Saturday morning regiment. Get up 7:30 go for a Jog through Harvard Square, down along the river, stop for breakfast ( egg white omelet), and then straight to Yoga, go home and shower up, and then a Saturday afternoon spiritual service. Saturdays my day man. Its all about me! :lol:

I'm tough to beat on saturday nights. I'm aligned with the cosmos........watch out.:lol: :ThmbUp:

melman
10-19-2007, 07:24 PM
I take it Suff your in the Boston area then?? Can you get in touch with Big Red either in person or via the phone? Think he could use a friend right now.

the_fat_man
10-19-2007, 08:23 PM
I don't know if Samyn on the Green was joking or what..............

But the founder of my yoga program ( Bikram - google just for fun ) says you're never too diseased or old to do yoga - so if Samyn is serious - I have to disagree with him.

I've been at it for 2 1/2 years now - I seriously luv it.

fffastt

I particularly get a kick out of the recent pictures of Bikram and his wife ---the Jim and Tammy Faye Baker of the yoga set. Bikram looks as if he needs a MIRROR to be able see his COCK (over his belly) and his wife looks as if .......(I'll stop before getting too gross). They're Hollywood's version of the yogi.

Nothing worse than out of shape people selling health.

Tom
10-19-2007, 08:46 PM
http://www.quirkbooks.com/Book.aspx?BID=135

Funny, I just ordered this book today then see this talk tonight.
I had such a good summer with the vanilla frozen yoga I thought I would branch out.:cool:

Serioulsly, a friend bought it and uses it, and he looks a lot younger than he did three months ago.

Greyfox
10-20-2007, 12:37 AM
http://www.quirkbooks.com/Book.aspx?BID=135

Funny, I just ordered this book today then see this talk tonight.
I had such a good summer with the vanilla frozen yoga I thought I would branch out.:cool:

Serioulsly, a friend bought it and uses it, and he looks a lot younger than he did three months ago.

Funny that you should mention that.
The book's a great read.
I've practiced some of the "frozen yoga" moves too.
I feel much younger..."serioulsly,"

http://www.sparkleblue.com/words/images/11_14_05/yoga_rus.jpg

That's me on the right. (I had to remove the chair back to do it.
Great for the spine.)

Greyfox
10-20-2007, 12:46 AM
Horse players fat slobs? Thanks for the inside dope.

Hey. Next year I'm doing a documentary on Horsepitals!

http://passtheammo.com/images/temp/fat-bastard-michael-moore-s.jpg

Kelso
10-20-2007, 12:49 AM

So, uhh, ya come here often? ;)

Sailwolf
10-20-2007, 04:05 AM
I will not be able to bet on Saturday's racing card at SA for awhile because of
marathon training. (LA Marathon) Also, the body hurts too much after the running on Saturdays:jump:

After tomorrow, will be up to 9 miles. (out of 26 miles)

Tom
10-20-2007, 10:12 AM

As they say on CSI......Chesticles!

keilan
10-20-2007, 10:43 AM
A Guy’s Old Flame

I received a phone call from a gorgeous ex-girlfriend who this morning called 'out-of-the-blue' to see if I was still around.

We lost track of time, chatting about the wild, romantic times we used to enjoy together.

I couldn't believe it when she asked if I'd be interested in meeting up and rekindling a little of that "old magic".

"Wow!" I was flabbergasted.

"I don't know if I could keep pace with you now", I said, "I'm a bit older

And a bit grayer and balder than when you last saw me. Plus I don't really have the energy I used to have."

She just giggled and said she was sure I would "rise to the challenge".

"Yeah." I said. "Just so long as you don't mind a waistline that's a few inches wider these days! " Not to mention my total lack of muscle tone...everything is sagging, my teeth are a bit yellowed and I am developing jowls like a Great Dane!"

She laughed and told me to stop being so silly.

She teased me saying that tubby, gray haired, older men were cute, and she was sure I would still be a great lover.

Anyway, she giggled and said, "I've put on a few pounds myself!"

So I told her to fuck off.

cj's dad
10-20-2007, 10:50 AM

:D :ThmbUp: :) :cool: :lol:

cj's dad
10-20-2007, 11:06 AM
[/url]http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/4500/Fat-Chicks--4932.jpg (http://www.freakingnews.com/Fat-Chicks-Pictures-6565.asp)

(http://www.freakingnews.com/Fat-Chicks-Pictures-6565.asp) (http://www.freakingnews.com/Fat-Chicks-Pictures-6565.asp)

[url="http://www.freakingnews.com/Fat-Chicks-Pictures-6565.asp"]

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 11:46 AM

Is that ultra-conspirator Michael Moore?:eek:

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 11:47 AM
http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/4500/Fat-Chicks--4932.jpg (http://www.freakingnews.com/Fat-Chicks-Pictures-6565.asp)

Well....winter is coming soon...tee hee:lol:

GaryG
10-20-2007, 11:48 AM
No, I think MM has bigger boobs....amd a few more chins.

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 11:51 AM
A Guy’s Old Flame

Wait a min....Hold the phone....I am shocked:eek: ....stunned.....:eek:

You mean I can actually say the f word and not get banned??? :jump: :jump: I might be saying goodbye to my kiddie meerkat chatsite.....

chickenhead
classic K :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
Not that I am a big Michael Moore fan, but am I the only here who can recognize a BAD photo shopped picture? :lol:

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 11:52 AM
So, uhh, ya come here often? ;)

:blush: [giggles] As often as I can...tee hee

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 11:57 AM
Funny that you should mention that.
The book's a great read.
I've practiced some of the "frozen yoga" moves too.
I feel much younger..."serioulsly,"

http://www.sparkleblue.com/words/images/11_14_05/yoga_rus.jpg

That's me on the right. (I had to remove the chair back to do it.
Great for the spine.)

Oh...you are doing yoga I presume? I thought it was an old picture of my Army buddies....[sings memories....]sigh:p

GaryG
10-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Wait a min....Hold the phone....I am shocked:eek: ....stunned.....:eek:

You mean I can actually say the f word and not get banned??? :jump: :jump: I might be saying goodbye to my kiddie meerkat chatsite.....As a Canadian Keilan gets international privileges. I would be gone in a nanosecond...:lol:

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Well.....I did live by the Canadian border a few years back. Would that count?

Light
10-20-2007, 12:06 PM
I've been a Tofu eating vegetarian for 32 years(I'm 52). Came out to California from Brooklyn with a suitcase and guitar. Sang Dylan out loud on the steps of U.C. Berkely for money.Hung out with homeless. Followed Gurus,practiced meditation.Denounced the establishment(still do).Now have kids,a wife 6 cars and a million dollar home and a successful business for over 25 years. Put on weight and the wife calls me a slob. Thats what you get for all your accomplishments.

Greyfox
10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
http://blogs.rockymountainnews.com/denver/sprengelmeyer/Tancredo%20gets%20ready%20to%20introduce%20himself %20to%20an%20apathetic%20race%20track%20crowd%20at %20the%20Butler%20County%20Fair%20June%2024%202007 %20lg.JPG

There's a few big berthas watching these races. But are they any different than you'd see in any mall? I think not.

Tom
10-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Oh...you are doing yoga I presume? I thought it was an old picture of my Army buddies....[sings memories....]sigh:p

Upward facing "dog?":D

Greyfox
10-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Upward facing "dog?":D

:lol: :lol: :ThmbUp:

keilan
10-20-2007, 12:23 PM
As a Canadian Keilan gets international privileges. I would be gone in a nanosecond...:lol:

Diplomatic immunity :lol: :jump:

skate
10-20-2007, 01:33 PM
As they say on CSI......Chesticles!

stop it

stop it

stop it

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 02:58 PM
Do me a favor please? Just don't show pics of Roseanne or Rush Limbaugh in tights or I might need serious therapy....:faint:

Greyfox
10-20-2007, 03:13 PM
Do me a favor please? Just don't show pics of Roseanne or Rush Limbaugh in tights or I might need serious therapy....:faint:

http://www.cd.sc.ehu.es/FileRoom/images/image49.gif

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 03:20 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

I said please........:mad: [looking in yellow pages for an emergency head doctor]

Light
10-20-2007, 03:59 PM
I've just lost my mojo.

Tom
10-20-2007, 04:02 PM
Here's looking at you, kid!

lilmegahertz
10-20-2007, 05:21 PM
My eyes!!! MY EYES!!!!! God have mercy...MY EYES!!!!!:faint:

I don't know if females have mojos or not but if we did...mine went screaming out of the room....:eek:

harnesslover
10-20-2007, 09:19 PM
Here's looking at you, kid!

Wow this thread is quickly spiraling out of control :D

Indulto
10-20-2007, 10:59 PM
Wow this thread is quickly spiraling out of control :DYes, Jenny, you have literally created a monster figuratively. :cool:

As the board's self-appointed clerk of scales responsible for making us weigh in on our way in to OTBs, perhaps you could start capturing political orientation as well.

Now that Lush and MM have been "worked" into the thread, it will probably be transferred to off-topic,which would enable us to speculate which side of the political spectrum has more weight supporting it. Revelations here suggest that obesity favors the left, but the right appears to have more than its share of fat mouths. :lol:

The only question remaining is whether or not this thread qualifies PA as a porn site. ;)

PaceAdvantage
10-21-2007, 03:41 AM
You mean I can actually say the f word and not get banned??? :jump: :jump: I might be saying goodbye to my kiddie meerkat chatsite.....You won't get banned, but your post will most likely be edited for content....

I didn't edit K's post because I'm treating it the same way ABC treated Saving Private Ryan.....uncut with limited interruptions....:lol:

citygoat
10-21-2007, 08:29 AM
When you need that reassurance that you are good looking
Put a $100 bill across your forehead and ask any lady, "who the is best looking guy in the place?"

Hosshead
10-21-2007, 09:17 AM
I will not be able to bet on Saturday's racing card at SA for awhile because of
marathon training. (LA Marathon)

After tomorrow, will be up to 9 miles. (out of 26 miles)
Just don't get up to 27 miles, or you'll run right off the Santa Monica Pier .

Sherry
10-21-2007, 03:47 PM
. But I did notice generally speaking, the regulars consisted of overweight, 45-60 year olds who generally were covered in jeans, running suits and t-shirts.

I would be willing to guess it’s a good portion of the horseracing wagering population.

At least they're covered. It amazes me how women these days show off their rolls of fat.

No, I don't believe all horseplayers are slobs. I just try not to stand in line with the one's that smell. I did take my younger sister to Lonestar once. She found the pickings pretty slim. :D

Sherry
10-21-2007, 03:59 PM
She laughed and told me to stop being so silly.

She teased me saying that tubby, gray haired, older men were cute, and she was sure I would still be a great lover.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is probably a true story. Men can get away with hair loss and few extra pounds...while I have to get up at 5:30 am to jog and spend 2 hours at the hair salon. Soooooooooooooo unfair.

Zman179
10-21-2007, 04:25 PM
At least they're covered. It amazes me how women these days show off their rolls of fat.

That woman had more rolls than a bakery.

riskman
10-21-2007, 05:23 PM

So you never visit a NYC OTB ---Right?
When I am not playing from home, I go to a NYC OTB that has a restaurant. OTB leases space from the restaurant owner.During mid week most of the patrons are retired. On the weekends, there is a mix of all types mostly firemen police, sanitation, city workers and small business owners and tradesmen. Today, just about everyone past 30 is a little overweight, overworked and underpaid. I have a good time and enjoy myself. Sure, there are some obese people but on the whole most are your typical middle class Joe.

lilmegahertz
10-21-2007, 07:25 PM
I agree with the overworked and underpaid part but as a female in uniform I have to look a certain way and maintain my weight. But to be fair, so do the males......thank God for calisthenics....;)

Zman179
10-21-2007, 08:18 PM
When a NYCOTB branch closes, it doesn't close because it's unprofitable. It closes because the landlord refuses to extend the lease due to neighborhood complaints.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9503E4D71E3CF933A25751C1A9669C8B 63&n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/H/Horse%20Racing

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10192007/news/regionalnews/mike_warns__ill_put_otb_out_to.htm

At the OTB parlor on Second Avenue between East 69th and 70th streets, bettors were aghast at the possibility of a shutdown...But up the block at 301 E. 69th St., doorman Gary Lombino said a closure would result in a block party.

"People in the building complain all the time about OTB," he said.

"It's a big quality-of-life issue for residents. They would definitely celebrate that place shutting. It doesn't fit into a residential area. People do unsavory things. There's little kids going around and guys peeing in front of them."

NoDayJob
10-21-2007, 10:51 PM
Most men you see at the track are losing weight. It's coming out over the top of their pants. :)

badcompany
10-21-2007, 11:47 PM
So you never visit a NYC OTB ---Right?
When I am not playing from home, I go to a NYC OTB that has a restaurant. OTB leases space from the restaurant owner.During mid week most of the patrons are retired. On the weekends, there is a mix of all types mostly firemen police, sanitation, city workers and small business owners and tradesmen. Today, just about everyone past 30 is a little overweight, overworked and underpaid. I have a good time and enjoy myself. Sure, there are some obese people but on the whole most are your typical middle class Joe.

I love how someone can take an atypical example of an OTB and use it to make a case against what goes on a in typical OTB. If the lowlives who live in OTBs around the city were to set up shop in that restuarant, they'd be kicked out.

Read Zman's post about the OTB on 69th st. That's my local OTB. I try never to spend in excess of five minutes there, usually to make a deposit or withdrawl. Ironically, that OTB probably has the classiest group of patrons of any OTB in Manhattan, in other words, the typical guy in there can make it through the day without urinating on himself.

Go to the OTB on West 37th St. on any night, and report your findings. Better yet, ask some of the clerks what they think of the patrons. I guarantee the most common response is "I hate them!!"

Greyfox
10-21-2007, 11:55 PM
I love how someone can take an atypical example of an OTB and use it to make a case against what goes on a in typical OTB.!"
Huh? I didn't read riskman as doing that.

badcompany
10-22-2007, 12:29 AM
Huh? I didn't read riskman as doing that.

His example is not representative of a typical OTB, which is a betting parlor onto itself, run solely by the city. Riskman's OTB is a leased space run by the owner of the restaurant. I'll bet it's McGuire's.

Light
10-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Actually I think the portrayal of horseplayers as fat slobs is the lesser of the negative image. At least that can be somewhat loveable. Primarily they are considered hopelessly addicted,stupid gamblers.Or low lifes in general. I sometimes feel like a closet gay when asked about my hobbies in formal company. The few that I have told, look at me in confusion,unable to figure out what on earth I'm talking about. And Sherry,you should know,I seriously doubt it would make a good impression on a first date to tell a chick you gamble on horses. In some cases I would bet that would be the end of the date. Seriously.

Greyfox
10-22-2007, 12:57 AM
And Sherry,you should know,I seriously doubt it would make a good impression on a first date to tell a chick you gamble on horses. In some cases I would bet that would be the end of the date. Seriously.

Huh? Sherry tells a chick that?

Light
10-22-2007, 01:00 AM
Sherry is a chick.

Greyfox
10-22-2007, 01:24 AM
Sherry is a chick.

And your good advice was:
And Sherry,you should know,I seriously doubt it would make a good impression on a first date to tell a chick you gamble on horses.

Good advice Sherry. Don't tell a chick that.

Light
10-22-2007, 01:45 AM
Oy Vey. Read carefully and notice where the commas are.

I reffered to Sherry since she is a woman and would possibly chime in with a womens perspective as to wether "chicks' would be turned off by telling them you gamble on horses on a first date.I am not telling Sherry what to do or say. Where's my interpreteur? I come from other side.

Zman179
10-22-2007, 08:21 AM
I love how someone can take an atypical example of an OTB and use it to make a case against what goes on a in typical OTB. If the lowlives who live in OTBs around the city were to set up shop in that restuarant, they'd be kicked out.

Read Zman's post about the OTB on 69th st. That's my local OTB. I try never to spend in excess of five minutes there, usually to make a deposit or withdrawl. Ironically, that OTB probably has the classiest group of patrons of any OTB in Manhattan, in other words, the typical guy in there can make it through the day without urinating on himself.

Go to the OTB on West 37th St. on any night, and report your findings. Better yet, ask some of the clerks what they think of the patrons. I guarantee the most common response is "I hate them!!"

There is a reason why the OTB mutuel clerks operate behind bulletproof glass. Is there any other betting entity where their employees have to be protected in such a fashion?

Grits
10-22-2007, 10:25 AM

For so many years I would get irritated at my non-racing friend’s portrayal of horseplayers as ‘a bunch of fat, shirt stained, beer drinking, smoking slobs’. And for years it became harder and harder to ignore the fact that he wasn’t too far off.

Yes, a somewhat smoother title may have been wise; not quite so harsh maybe.

Now, for your non-racing friends. How well read are they, in regard to public health statistics here in our country? The richest nation in the world, where we're far beyond "overweight," ten or twenty. Instead, we are currently surrounded by obesity of 1 in 4 individuals, including children.

So, for that matter, I'd think your friends would have difficulty at any sporting event--for instance, they may have to sit next to someone at a major league baseball game whose enjoying the game, AND their beer and hotdogs. God forbid, if chili shoots down the front of his shirt on the first bite of the first 'dog of the afternoon.

Same thing goes for your NFL season ticket holder--a ticket--which keep in mind, cost a helluva lot more than ANY ticket horseracing has to offer. These guys, often, grill and tailgate before the game. Whole lotta drinkin', smokin', and good eatin' going on there! For this group, I doubt too many of 'em bring a "change of clothes", per-- one for grillin' and drinkin' and one for sittin' in their seat.

When the camera goes in for a close up, focusing on the fans at any of these venues--one will see far more folks on the right side of the scale, and probably, even more wearing their favorite pair of Levis.

I sorta think that's all ok. I mean really, these pastimes are meant to be enjoyed. Dress, however you're most comfortable. Who cares.

Over the years, I've dressed up, everyday, at Keeneland, at Saratoga. After a while, I get sick of dressing. Nowadays, I can hang in jeans and sandals and be perfectly content. Too, I've been in plenty of dives watching horseraces. Many times, with the exception of the clerks, I've been the only woman in the building with men screaming at a TV screen......

"F**K! DIE YOU F****G PIG!"

Now, that one's a classic lament.

Obviously, mismanaged their exacta . . . what can I say?

"I hate it for ya bud; it happens to all of us. And I'm, quietly, muttering "sonofabitch" 'cause I lost too!!):lol:

Last weekend I went to simulcasting and actually took a look around to the ‘regulars’ that are there. Obviously, there was no smoking, as it is illegal here, and the shirt stained, slob picture was not prevalent. But I did notice generally speaking, the regulars consisted of overweight, 45-60 year olds who generally were covered in jeans, running suits and t-shirts.

The age demographic is correct. And that is primarily the problem of, not so much horseracing's lack of marketing, as it is the 20-30 something's lack of attention span to the amount of detail and committment involved in handicapping. Instant gratification and all like that.

This is a thinking game, one taking great concentration. Most people today do not possess the patience it takes to become, to any degree, successful at handicapping/betting. And for those individuals that do NOT bet--find another sport--we don't need you anyway if you aren't familiar with "churn."

I guess the fact that ‘we’ spend a ton of time on our asses, perousing through the DRF or Sports Eye, more hours with our faces in our laptops playing with software, then more hours on horseracing sites typing and reading, it’s no wonder ‘we’re’ generally a fat, slobbish looking group of people. Obviously this does not describe everyone, but I would be willing to guess it’s a good portion of the horseracing wagering population.

Just wondered if everyone has the same type of regular crowd at their local wagering establishment.

And I would be willing to bet my last dime its a greater portion of any sport you're watching--anywhere at anytime.

Part of what I'm trying to convey is that your non-racing friends sound exceedingly judgemental about something of which they know absolutely nothing.

Clothes and a beer stain or two, along with a few extra pounds have nothing whatsoever to do with:

(A) one's knowledge of the game

(B) one's worthiness as an acquaintance or a friend

(C) one's net worth

This isn't Poker. Wrong room. One doesn't have to show their hand, ever.

I'd probably search for some new friends.

Tom
10-22-2007, 10:32 AM
There is a reason why the OTB mutuel clerks operate behind bulletproof glass. Is there any other betting entity where their employees have to be protected in such a fashion?

Sub shops in Detroit. Tubby's?
They have those little windows that spin around - you order outdoors and never get a clear shot, er, view of the employees.
It suddenly strikes you, as you are waiting for your sub - that YOU are out there alone at night with whatever they are afraid of facing! :eek:

njcurveball
10-22-2007, 10:34 AM
Spot on post Grits! :ThmbUp:

If people like you were in racetrack management, the game would have a much better image! :ThmbUp:

Grits
10-22-2007, 10:39 AM
LOLOLOL Tom, you make me laugh. I didn't know they stilll had those windows that turn--but its Detroit, next thing you know, they'll be sending your sub via the traveling car to teller tube holder where one places their deposits at the bank's drive thru.

Grits
10-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Just my take NJ, thank you.

Spot on post Grits! :ThmbUp:

If people like you were in racetrack management, the game would have a much better image! :ThmbUp:

keilan
10-22-2007, 10:52 AM
I like you Grits, nice handle :)

Grits
10-22-2007, 11:04 AM
I like you Grits, nice handle :)

Jus' one of the guys.

Ya'll stay on task now. I'm goin' to the gym....wouldn't wanna gain a lotta weight, ya know.

Fastracehorse
10-22-2007, 04:08 PM
I've been doing Hatha Yoga. Specifically Hatha Flow.
I go here

www.soniyoga.com (http://www.soniyoga.com/)

I've experimented with Tibetan 5 Rites, but I do two Hatha's a week. One that is predominantly strength poses, and one that is mostly stretch and balance poses.

I can do things now that I could never do in my life. Extended Crow pose, Pigeon poses, different binding poses. I'm limber and strong due to Yoga.

I love my Yoga. It's an important part of my overall well being.

Of course I was nervous at first as I'm not a Yoga type and I had immature-notions of yoga people. But under my new approach to life I ignored myself and kept an open mind, I stuck with it through the initial awkwardness and I have grown to a point where I wouldn't want to live with out it. Its powerful stuff and when I started getting better, it just took me over.

I go tommorrow morning at 9:30. Saturday morning regiment. Get up 7:30 go for a Jog through Harvard Square, down along the river, stop for breakfast ( egg white omelet), and then straight to Yoga, go home and shower up, and then a Saturday afternoon spiritual service. Saturdays my day man. Its all about me! :lol:

I'm tough to beat on saturday nights. I'm aligned with the cosmos........watch out.:lol: :ThmbUp:

Twice a week is perfect - enough yoga to start seeing results and learn more.

I've changed too in the way I see a healthy person should be. When I first started yoga I was into weights and I looked down on the thin men. Now I'm one of those thin men and I feel balanced and healthier. I've also seen myself mature as well.

Namaste,

fffastt

Fastracehorse
10-22-2007, 04:19 PM
I particularly get a kick out of the recent pictures of Bikram and his wife ---the Jim and Tammy Faye Baker of the yoga set. Bikram looks as if he needs a MIRROR to be able see his COCK (over his belly) and his wife looks as if .......(I'll stop before getting too gross). They're Hollywood's version of the yogi.

Nothing worse than out of shape people selling health.

True that Bikram franchises his yoga. And, he has recieved alot of criticism for it - but the stuff works.

Also, what is health?? Western ideals are way off base in my estimation. U can have a little belly and still be phenomenally fit. Besides, Bikram is in his 60's.

If U didn't know the fat man: Bikram is done at a fast pace for 90 min's in a heated studio. If focuses on spinal and joint health. It gets nourishing blood to all internal organs of the body. It detoxifies because U sweat like U never have before. You strengthen the musculature at the same time as becoming supple.

Bottom line - if U have an ailment,yoga will help if not rid of it.

I dare U to try the fat man :cool:

fffastt

Doc
10-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Going back to the initial question, a friend of mine's wife refuses to accompany him to the track because she is of the impression that horseplayers are low-life degenerates. He's tried taking her to the nicer tracks and getting tables in clubhouse restaurants, but to no avail. He can't change her opinion of the racetrack. That image of a slovenly, unkempt, mustard-stained slob with a foul mouth is forever engrained in her mind.

Now, head on down to "Ground Zero" (the first floor) of the Meadowlands on a Friday night, and I would be hard-pressed to describe the characters there as anything BUT what I just described. Another friend of mine calls the Big M night crowd as "desperadoes."

Doc ;)

Indulto
10-22-2007, 05:20 PM
Actually I think the portrayal of horseplayers as fat slobs is the lesser of the negative image. At least that can be somewhat loveable. Primarily they are considered hopelessly addicted,stupid gamblers.Or low lifes in general. I sometimes feel like a closet gay when asked about my hobbies in formal company. The few that I have told, look at me in confusion,unable to figure out what on earth I'm talking about. ...You're way ahead if they even talked to you again after that.:bang:

My own career as a closet horseplayer didn't begin until I moved to the left coast. Apparently betting on horses without owning one is not among the alternative life styles exempt from ostracism here.

The new CHRB attitude toward off-track bettors is most welcome considering that discussions about horseplaying in public outside the racetrack once violated the social order in a way Las Vegas obsessions didn't.

While mini-satellite wagering outlets will now be licensed by the CHRB, a NYC OTB-like betting parlor is still a non-starter here. And if this thread is any indication, bad news lies ahead for the big-bellied bettor. As more upscale establishments become licensed, the "Beautiful People" may force them to keep their bulging butts at home and become "boxer-shorts bettors" through ADWs. ;)

Grits
10-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Going back to the initial question, a friend of mine's wife refuses to accompany him to the track because she is of the impression that horseplayers are low-life degenerates. He's tried taking her to the nicer tracks and getting tables in clubhouse restaurants, but to no avail. He can't change her opinion of the racetrack. That image of a slovenly, unkempt, mustard-stained slob with a foul mouth is forever engrained in her mind.

Now, head on down to "Ground Zero" (the first floor) of the Meadowlands on a Friday night, and I would be hard-pressed to describe the characters there as anything BUT what I just described. Another friend of mine calls the Big M night crowd as "desperadoes."

Doc ;)

If her husband has not visited or taken her to the clubhouses at Keeneland or Saratoga, he should do so. I defy her to point out anyone fitting the description she has engrained into her mind.

This poor gentleman's wife is exercising what is known as "passive-aggressive behavior". A subtle effort at control, and making a man, completely, miserable.

In other words, "I don't like these people because to me they are trash. So, therefore, I will not go and I will remain vocal about this." (Granted, she's probably never uttered a word to a one of them, or they to her.)

If the truth were actually known it could be she'd love for him to spend 1-1.5K per month at a Country Club. No gambling there, just climbing.:rolleyes:

Tell your friend to go and enjoy, no misery, no regrets . . . have fun leaving her home; nothing says the two of them have to do everything together.

Life is hard, life is short.

Doc
10-22-2007, 07:57 PM
Absolutely, Grits, I agree with you 100 percent. To each his own ... and in any marriage, familiarity breeds contempt, so they say. :mad:

Zman179
10-22-2007, 09:26 PM

I wouldn't say that. I've noticed that The Meadowlands does attract a younger crowd on Friday and Saturday nights.

George Sands
10-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I don't understand this business about "closet horseplaying." People make thousands of posts here about trying to make the sport more popular. Typing, typing, typing, talking to people who already enjoy the sport. All this damned typing. All these posts. Countless hours spent making them. Then they get out in the real world, with real people, and they hide in a closet because they are afraid to admit they play the horses? What is going on here? If you are a horseplayer, tell people you are a horseplayer, and tell them why you enjoy it so much. If they don't like it, tell them to go to hell. Then find out what they enjoy, and tell them why it sucks.

DanG
10-23-2007, 09:11 PM
I don't understand this business about "closet horseplaying." People make thousands of posts here about trying to make the sport more popular. Typing, typing, typing, talking to people who already enjoy the sport. All this damned typing. All these posts. Countless hours spent making them. Then they get out in the real world, with real people, and they hide in a closet because they are afraid to admit they play the horses? What is going on here? If you are a horseplayer, tell people you are a horseplayer, and tell them why you enjoy it so much. If they don't like it, tell them to go to hell. Then find out what they enjoy, and tell them why it sucks.
I love this!!! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Grits
10-23-2007, 09:15 PM
George Sands, you are a wise, wise, man. Extremely well put. :lol:

badcompany
10-23-2007, 09:23 PM
All these posts. Countless hours spent making them. Then they get out in the real world, with real people, and they hide in a closet because they are afraid to admit they play the horses? What is going on here?

We wanna get laid.:)

Sherry
10-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Oy Vey. Read carefully and notice where the commas are.

I reffered to Sherry since she is a woman and would possibly chime in with a womens perspective as to wether "chicks' would be turned off by telling them you gamble on horses on a first date.I am not telling Sherry what to do or say. Where's my interpreteur? I come from other side.

Well of course I wouldn't be turned off because I love gambling on the ponies.

I get the same reactions as you men when I tell non-racing men that I gamble on the horses. I've been asked if I have gambling problem to can I pay my bills? I actually have a list to long to post. lmao :D

Indulto
10-23-2007, 10:24 PM
I don't understand this business about "closet horseplaying." People make thousands of posts here about trying to make the sport more popular. Typing, typing, typing, talking to people who already enjoy the sport. All this damned typing. All these posts. Countless hours spent making them. Then they get out in the real world, with real people, and they hide in a closet because they are afraid to admit they play the horses? What is going on here? If you are a horseplayer, tell people you are a horseplayer, and tell them why you enjoy it so much. If they don't like it, tell them to go to hell. Then find out what they enjoy, and tell them why it sucks.GS,
Nice to see you start expanding here on the thousands of posts and millions of keystrokes you have bestowed on horseplayers elsewhere in cyberspace. :cool: I can't argue with you, though. Now that I'm retired and my family is grown, I say it as loud and as proud as I did in my youth.:jump:

Light's post triggered memories of unfortunate social interactions that limited professional opportunities as well as personal, social, and educational options for offspring and/or spouse. Perhaps someone as socially adept as yourself could have made lemonade out of those lemons. ;)

Everyone's family dynamic, background, and values are unique, but I have yet to encounter an individual without exposure to racing pior to marriage who pursued that interest afterwards. I have no regets about having bitten my tongue in that regard only. :D

The last racing fan I sucessfully recruited was the son of a sibling who has never forgiven me. :lol:

riskman
10-23-2007, 10:36 PM
His example is not representative of a typical OTB, which is a betting parlor onto itself, run solely by the city. Riskman's OTB is a leased space run by the owner of the restaurant. I'll bet it's McGuire's.

No, it is not McGuires---all I was trying to do was present another side of OTB's operations. It appears that you have a very low opinion of horseplayers who wager at the OTB parlors. Got news for you-- some of the so called businessmen(empty suits) that patronize the Manhattan Teletheaters and OTB/ Rest. are a bunch of arrogant, rude ego driven whackos. Love to see them when they blow a big wad on their three hour lunch hours.They crawl back to the office with their tail between their legs.

riskman
10-23-2007, 10:46 PM

Yeah--- a bank-- when the economy goes south there is a good bet the withdrawel slip will be a losing ticket. :lol:

badcompany
10-24-2007, 08:21 AM
No, it is not McGuires---all I was trying to do was present another side of OTB's operations. It appears that you have a very low opinion of horseplayers who wager at the OTB parlors. Got news for you-- some of the so called businessmen(empty suits) that patronize the Manhattan Teletheaters and OTB/ Rest. are a bunch of arrogant, rude ego driven whackos. Love to see them when they blow a big wad on their three hour lunch hours.They crawl back to the office with their tail between their legs.

At least those suits serve a purpose, to fatten the pools. Those suits tend to have jobs. The bums I'm talking about rarely bet. They just scoop tickets off the floor, then they tie up the betting machines while they stick one ticket after another in them.

This is not just my opinion about OTB horseplayers. Once again, read Zman's post.

Why exactly would the people who live on 69th throw a block party if the OTB closes? Do you think those people feel that way about any other business in the area?

Fastracehorse
10-24-2007, 11:58 AM
Well of course I wouldn't be turned off because I love gambling on the ponies.

I get the same reactions as you men when I tell non-racing men that I gamble on the horses. I've been asked if I have gambling problem to can I pay my bills? I actually have a list to long to post. lmao :D

I'd never date a horse playing woman - or gambling woman period.

I know that sounds funny. One of us is enough.

fffastt

Grits
10-24-2007, 12:03 PM

fffastt

I hate it for ya honey 'cause she may be a better player than you are!!!

Fastracehorse
10-24-2007, 12:11 PM
I hate it for ya honey 'cause she may be a better player than you are!!!

That would be that worst.

All the things a horse player goes through and then his lady friend is a better bettor.

fffastt

Grits
10-24-2007, 12:27 PM
At least those suits serve a purpose, to fatten the pools. Those suits tend to have jobs. The bums I'm talking about rarely bet. They just scoop tickets off the floor, then they tie up the betting machines while they stick one ticket after another in them.

This is not just my opinion about OTB horseplayers. Once again, read Zman's post.

Why exactly would the people who live on 69th throw a block party if the OTB closes? Do you think those people feel that way about any other business in the area?

Bad, I gotta question.

WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN HORSEPLAYING?

Honestly, I'm serious here, between the identity crisis underlying the judging of everybody in a room around you--OTB or wherever, and trying to figure out, in this sport, whose a pro and whose not--I don't get it.

You really do bitch a lot.

Your statement in this thread . . . "we wanna get laid" . . . I hope that works out for ya, 'cause women don't go for guys that bitch all the time. And that works both ways, of course.

Negative vibes are a detriment to one's focus, while sometimes too, an indicator of low self-esteem.

And you don't want that!

I don't mean to sound hard--but this is something glaringly obvious.

If what you are involved in embarrasses you for God sake--find something else as a pastime.

Grits
10-24-2007, 12:28 PM
That would be that worst.

All the things a horse player goes through and then his lady friend is a better bettor.

fffastt

Fast, it can happen. Find one that's good and the two of you will make a good team.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Life's short.

SMOO
10-24-2007, 12:37 PM
If you are a horseplayer, tell people you are a horseplayer, and tell them why you enjoy it so much. If they don't like it, tell them to go to hell. Then find out what they enjoy, and tell them why it sucks.

:ThmbUp:

Fastracehorse
10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
Fast, it can happen. Find one that's good and the two of you will make a good team.

Don't sweat the small stuff.

Life's short.

But don't U luv the drama of the game??

A p-4 ticket can blow up in your face??

And about Bad Co.'s observations - we could expand it to: 'the state of OTB bathrooms.'

fffastt

DanG
10-24-2007, 12:46 PM

fffastt
fffastt...Hand over the phone numbers your turning down. ;)

I would MUCH rather associate with players better than I and if it’s a woman…all the better! :jump:

Sherry
10-24-2007, 01:33 PM

fffastt

Nothing better than meeting somebody who shares the same interests. People who aren't into racing don't want to hear about your good or bad days at the track.

I agree that not all horseplayers make good matches. Horseplayers have HUGE egos, but when you meet the right one you can make a great team. Especially when one is a stronger handicapper and the other at wagering.

Pooling your knowledge, resources, and ideas can be profitable and rewarding.

mrharness
10-24-2007, 01:53 PM
As long as she is a "track buddy" and not a marriage arrangement, then it might be OK. Assuming you don't have personality problems. If two people got married and making money was the name of the game, one of the partners HAS to be better at it than the other. Whoever is the best will end up subsidizing the worst. It is like trying to merge 2 handicapping systems together - if one has a win percent of 40% and the other has a win per cent of 30% - you don't end up getting 70%. Instead you will probably end up with a system that gets maybe 33%. So, you have made the bottom line worse and not better.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-24-2007, 02:07 PM
I'd love to have a girlfriend/spouse who shared a serious interest in racing. That to me would be fantastic, assuming personalities were compatable, etc. Yes, if betting were the sole method of income for both parties, that could be rough sometimes. (Glad my racing related income doesn't depend on my wagering, but wouldn't mind stepping it up again in time, and some company.)

lilmegahertz
10-24-2007, 04:13 PM
Before I met the hubby he had never been to a track. But once I got him there he loved it. We don't bet much money but we both just love the atmosphere ie: the horses, the excitement of the crowds, you couldn't pick a better Sat. date for me than that. But then again I am the one who readily said yes on Valentine's Day 2000 to see a Grizzelies game in Vancouver, BC....:cool:

badcompany
10-24-2007, 04:41 PM
Bad, I gotta question.

WHY IN THE WORLD DO YOU PARTICIPATE IN HORSEPLAYING?

Honestly, I'm serious here, between the identity crisis underlying the judging of everybody in a room around you--OTB or wherever, and trying to figure out, in this sport, whose a pro and whose not--I don't get it.

You really do bitch a lot.

Your statement in this thread . . . "we wanna get laid" . . . I hope that works out for ya, 'cause women don't go for guys that bitch all the time. And that works both ways, of course.

Negative vibes are a detriment to one's focus, while sometimes too, an indicator of low self-esteem.

And you don't want that!

I don't mean to sound hard--but this is something glaringly obvious.

If what you are involved in embarrasses you for God sake--find something else as a pastime.

Thanks for tips, Coach.

If you want to believe that the Racing Form is an aphrodisiac to women, that's your biz, but some of us are into reality.

As far as why I bet horses. I like it, but not I'm delusional enough to believe that there isn't a negative stigma associated with horseplayers.

I also noticed that you didn't attack any of my arguments. You attacked me, personally. That's a sure sign that you have no ammo.

But since you want to join the fray, maybe you could tell us why people who live on the block of a NYC OTB would throw a block party if the OTB were to close.

Sherry
10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Thanks for tips, Coach.

If you want to believe that the Racing Form is an aphrodisiac to women, that's your biz, but some of us are into reality.

As far as why I bet horses. I like it, but not I'm delusional enough to believe that there isn't a negative stigma associated with horseplayers.

I also noticed that you didn't attack any of my arguments. You attacked me, personally. That's a sure sign that you have no ammo.

But since you want to join the fray, maybe you could tell us why people who live on the block of a NYC OTB would throw a block party if the OTB were to close.

It's probably a dump.

Hey, I agree that there is a negative stigma. I quit talking about it with family and friends. No, I'm not ashamed that I play, but sure saves arguing that all not gamblers are losers. Besides even my own grandmother thinks I'm going to hell for it. Now on the other hand, my bingo addicted mother encourages me to play. :lol:

Basically I could care less what other people think, but I'm not going to advertise I play the ponies. Lesson learned.

GaryG
10-24-2007, 05:26 PM
Sherry - I long ago stopped explaining what I do for a living. I tell people that I am in investments. Told one I was a day trader...that was good for a gasp.

bigmack
10-24-2007, 05:32 PM
people who live on the block of a NYC OTB would throw a block party if the OTB were to close.
That's more than likely true. Most folks impressions of horse players are of those typa-guys because they're the ones they see.

Give me a late night commercial touting the benefits of a tricked out home office, being able to bet everytrack in NAmerica, subscribing to any of the HDW products, making good bank with a solid work ethic, and all while you're in your boxers/briefs/panties/thong, and I'll bet I could sign-up 10-12 in the first month of a heavy air schedule. :rolleyes:

Point being, it can be cool to be a horseplayer. Oh, and it's hip to be square.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u70/macktime/3.jpg

First_Place
10-24-2007, 05:36 PM
GaryG,

You shouild have told her that you were a "pari-mutuel fund investor." That title resonates with legitimacy to the unwashed. :D

FP

Grits
10-24-2007, 05:56 PM
Thanks for tips, Coach.

Bad, I don't need aphrodisiacs. I wager on horses for fun; I do a lotta things for fun. I have an income totally unrelated to horseracing. I can pretty much do, or be involved, as much as I choose. And that's pretty much that. Yeah, I'm into reality-never been a problem for me.

Glad you like it, your posts simply question it often.

Nor am I delusional. What I am though, is confident enough to speak positively about the sport, and those that make their living at it, or wager as a hobby on it. Instead, of choosing to malign those that aren't dressed as I may see fit; or who missed the toilet when taking a piss in the men's room.

Yes, maybe I do lack ammo. And no, I didn't attack your arguments and that's because I find them sorta shallow. I've been reading them for several weeks though, and today, went back through your posts before I commented on what seems to be a pattern of finding fault with a game that others here have great passion for.

Questioning the successes or the perceived failures of those that participate due to their tawdry dress code? C'mon now, really. Its a cheap shot.

I'm sorry if stating that you complain has upset you. Still, all are entitled to observation and comment here, I believe.

I travel back and forth several times a year to NY state and NYC. (I live in the South.) I have been in three OTBs in NY: one in Nassau County--The Racing Palace, (may be the name) it was outstanding; one in Albany--the Albany Teletheatre, again outstanding; an OTB that is a dive on Loudon Avenue in Albany--one patron weighed 400 lbs if he weighed an ounce . . . he wasn't crowding my chair, so his appearance or weight, his handicapping acumen, nor his wins or losses affected me, whatsoever.

Now, those are just the ones I've been in, in NY, since we're speaking of NY. I've also been in them in Kentucky and in Virginia.

If I were a NYC resident--WHY in the world would I go to ANY OTB anyway, and give them my money, my wagers, when I could be at Belmont, Aqueduct, or Saratoga, year-around racing and all that considered.

And keep in mind now, as I said, which you dutifully ignored--I can find the same folks at any Major League Baseball Game, and any AFC or NFC Championship Football Game--betting and losing their preverbial asses on the Over/Under.

"Characters" are everywhere, in every walk of life. They are not limited to the sport of Thoroughbred Horseracing.

badcompany
10-24-2007, 06:28 PM
I travel back and forth several times a year to NY state and NYC. (I live in the South.) I have been in three OTBs in NY: one in Nassau County--The Racing Palace, (may be the name) it was outstanding; one in Albany--the Albany Teletheatre, again outstanding; an OTB that is a dive on Loudon Avenue in Albany--one patron weighed 400 lbs if he weighed an ounce . . . he wasn't crowding my chair, so his appearance or weight, his handicapping acumen, nor his wins or losses affected me, whatsoever.

"Characters" are everywhere, in every walk of life. They are not limited to the sport of Thoroughbred Horseracing.

You haven't been to a single NYC OTB. Yet, you see fit to attack my description of them, a description that has been confirmed by two other posters, Samyn on the Green, and Zman.

There's a difference between Characters and Lowlives. NYC OTB is littered with the latter. A guy with a painted face at a Jets game is a character. A guy camping out by the betting machines in a NYC OTB, looking to steal money from someone who forgot to hit "Return Balance" is a lowlife.

I've been to the Albany Teletheatre, too. It's a DREAM compared to a typical NYC OTB.

And, to answer Sherry, the place isn't a dump. From the outside it looks like any other storefront, and the inside isn't that bad. It's the people that are the problem for the residents, there.

Tom
10-24-2007, 06:52 PM
I agree that not all horseplayers make good matches. Horseplayers have HUGE egos, but when you meet the right one you can make a great team. Especially when one is a stronger handicapper and the other at wagering.

You better be sure to get a pre-nup.....spell out who gets custody of the future pool wagers! :eek::D

Tom
10-24-2007, 06:53 PM
fffastt...Hand over the phone numbers your turning down. ;)

Are you going to call them or play them?:confused:

Indulto
10-24-2007, 07:36 PM
Are you going to call them or play them?:confused::lol:
He could try calling them first and then play the nags. :jump:

thespaah
10-24-2007, 07:44 PM
Bad, I don't need aphrodisiacs. I wager on horses for fun; I do a lotta things for fun. I have an income totally unrelated to horseracing. I can pretty much do, or be involved, as much as I choose. And that's pretty much that. Yeah, I'm into reality-never been a problem for me.

Glad you like it, your posts simply question it often.

Nor am I delusional. What I am though, is confident enough to speak positively about the sport, and those that make their living at it, or wager as a hobby on it. Instead, of choosing to malign those that aren't dressed as I may see fit; or who missed the toilet when taking a piss in the men's room.

Yes, maybe I do lack ammo. And no, I didn't attack your arguments and that's because I find them sorta shallow. I've been reading them for several weeks though, and today, went back through your posts before I commented on what seems to be a pattern of finding fault with a game that others here have great passion for.

Questioning the successes or the perceived failures of those that participate due to their tawdry dress code? C'mon now, really. Its a cheap shot.

I'm sorry if stating that you complain has upset you. Still, all are entitled to observation and comment here, I believe.

Now, those are just the ones I've been in, in NY, since we're speaking of NY. I've also been in them in Kentucky and in Virginia.

If I were a NYC resident--WHY in the world would I go to ANY OTB anyway, and give them my money, my wagers, when I could be at Belmont, Aqueduct, or Saratoga, year-around racing and all that considered.

And keep in mind now, as I said, which you dutifully ignored--I can find the same folks at any Major League Baseball Game, and any AFC or NFC Championship Football Game--betting and losing their preverbial asses on the Over/Under.

live in the south as well. NC..I make my twice/thrice yearly sojourns to Saratoga and once n while I will got to Belmont for the fall meet . I am orginally from northern NJ.. have been to most of thje places you mentioned above. The OTB theatres are much more upscale. But the regular shops for the most part are dives. I stay away from those. It's pointless top go to OTB when one can get to the track.
I remeber when the Albany teletheatre was Valley's Steak House.
I havebeen to the OTB in Ridgeway ,VA right by Martinsville Speedway. That ones ok. Stay out of the smoking side(COUGH)..I smoke and I couldn't stand it!..But it's an ok place to bet.
I may be going this Sat for the BC ...Who knows..I can bet here at home though. Offshore (Shhhhhhhhh ) account.
So where in the south are you?

Grits
10-24-2007, 07:51 PM
I'm in Carolina--and to me, there's only one. North. (Though that other one has fine beaches too!) My home's 2 miles east of Interstate 95, halfway between Manhattan and Miami.

thespaah
10-24-2007, 07:58 PM
I'm in Carolina--and to me, there's only one. North. (Though that other one has fine beaches too!) My home's 2 miles east of Interstate 95, halfway between Manhattan and Miami.
I am near Charlotte....on the good(Carolina) side of the State line...BTW our local rag (Charlotte Observer) decided to have a "carolina' debate in light of the NC/SC football game.. South Carolinians insist their state is THE Carolina....Befroe I moved here, The Old North State was considered THE Carolina by all of us who paid attention. If you talk to all but Gamecock football fans even people from SC consider this state to be "Carolina".
SO what's your plan of action for Saturday's BC?

GaryG
10-24-2007, 08:07 PM
To digress: As one who has spent a lot of time in both states, I can say for sure: NC is far superior. The only good thing about SC is Charleston. If not for Maurice's Piggy Park Columbia would have no redeeming values. Now they even have Steve Superior there. I spend as much time as possible in the Western NC mountains. Now back to the thread.

Grits
10-24-2007, 08:16 PM
Maybe you've been here long enough to have heard this most oft spoken old addage.

"North Carolina--a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit."

(And I have no idea which thinks their blood the bluer--Charleston or Williamsburg.) Either way, as a native Carolinian whose spent time on both sides of her borders, I know there is much truth to this.:lol:

My plan of action Saturday--to land on the positive side with my bankroll, what else!!! LOL

I am near Charlotte....on the good(Carolina) side of the State line...BTW our local rag (Charlotte Observer) decided to have a "carolina' debate in light of the NC/SC football game.. South Carolinians insist their state is THE Carolina....Befroe I moved here, The Old North State was considered THE Carolina by all of us who paid attention. If you talk to all but Gamecock football fans even people from SC consider this state to be "Carolina".
SO what's your plan of action for Saturday's BC?

Grits
10-24-2007, 08:20 PM
The mountains of Carolina are one of my favorite places on this good Earth.

Returning to scheduled programming guys, or we'll be run out of Dodge.

We can start our own thread later, after BC, about the beauty of this great state--from the mountains to the coast.;)

To digress: As one who has spent a lot of time in both states, I can say for sure: NC is far superior. The only good thing about SC is Charleston. If not for Maurice's Piggy Park Columbia would have no redeeming values. Now they even have Steve Superior there. I spend as much time as possible in the Western NC mountains. Now back to the thread.

Kelso
10-24-2007, 11:48 PM
(And I have no idea which thinks their blood the bluer--Charleston or Williamsburg.) Either way, as a native Carolinian whose spent time on both sides of her borders,

W&M?

Fastracehorse
10-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Nothing better than meeting somebody who shares the same interests. People who aren't into racing don't want to hear about your good or bad days at the track.

The funny thing is I am so used to wallowing in my own mysery that I don't feel a need to share.

And when I'm lucky, I'm as quiet as a mouse.

I agree that finding common interests is difficult - but I know where I've come from in this game and I wouldn't encourage anybody else to do the same.

fffastt