PDA

View Full Version : Death of One of Our Own

Premier Turf Club
10-17-2007, 09:35 AM
I am saddened to report that I received news this morning that Gary Hood, K9PUP from this board passed away last Thursday October 11. I don't have many details but have attached a link to his obituary.

I didn't know Gary very well, or for very long, but in the short time I did, we established a pretty regular correspondence. I enjoyed hearing Gary's suggestions on ways to make our site better. Gary was one of the first to suggest the file upload feature amongst other things. He was a very astute greyhound player, and taught me a lot about the sport.

We will miss him and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Ian

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=c423cc08d9321280

jotb
10-17-2007, 09:53 AM
Hello Ian:

Thank you for informing the board. I read the article and it does not say what he passed away from. Such a young man! My prayers go out to the family and may he R.I.P

Joe

headhawg
10-17-2007, 10:00 AM
My condolences go out to Gary's family and friends.

GaryG
10-17-2007, 10:01 AM
When a young man like Gary dies before his time it should give us all reason to reflect on our own lives. We are not guaranteed tomorrow.....or even the rest of today. R. I. P. K9Pup.

DanG
10-17-2007, 10:02 AM
May his family find the peace Gary has in this very difficult time.

Premier Turf Club
10-17-2007, 10:04 AM
I hope this isn't seen as too gauche given the circumstances, but Gary played literally up until the day he died and went out a winner on his final day on God's earth. :ThmbUp:

Tom
10-17-2007, 11:30 AM
I think he would be happy to go out a winner!
Very sad news - he was too young!

betchatoo
10-17-2007, 11:47 AM
Ian:

Thanks for letting us know. My heart goes out to his family..

harnesslover
10-17-2007, 12:17 PM
Hello Ian:

Thank you for informing the board. I read the article and it does not say what he passed away from. Such a young man! My prayers go out to the family and may he R.I.P

Joe

Sounds like it was likely a result of Diabetes, just an assumption from the last paragraph..

"In lieu of flowers, memorials in Gary’s memory may be made to the Galveston Island Humane Society or the American Diabetes Association."

Premier Turf Club
10-17-2007, 01:33 PM
Just cleaning out my inbox and realized Gary and I swapped e-mails on the day he died about some suggestions he had...

jotb
10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Sounds like it was likely a result of Diabetes, just an assumption from the last paragraph..

"In lieu of flowers, memorials in Gary’s memory may be made to the Galveston Island Humane Society or the American Diabetes Association."

Hello Harnesslover:

You might just be right.

Joe

Indulto
10-17-2007, 06:36 PM
The following prophetic post by K9Pup will stay with me for some time. I never did get around to giving him feedback on his suggestion for implementing logical work-arounds to help keyboard-challenged users of software.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=423565#post423565 (http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?p=423565#post423565)

The OB didn’t mention horseplaying as one of his loves, so I think Gary would appreciate PTC’s sharing not only his personal experiences with this obviously nice guy, but also that he went out a winner. I know I would.

RIP, K9Pup, and thanks.

Wickel
10-17-2007, 06:57 PM
My condolences to the family. RIP K9Pup.

BillW
10-17-2007, 07:10 PM
I didn't even realize, he was a virtual neighbor of mine (45 minutes away).

R.I.P Gary.

Premier Turf Club
10-17-2007, 07:28 PM
The OB didn’t mention horseplaying as one of his loves, so I think Gary would appreciate PTC’s sharing not only his personal experiences with this obviously nice guy, but also that he went out a winner. I know I would.

RIP, K9Pup, and thanks.

Ind: He was actually a dog player, and a very good one. He specialized in finding value at smaller greyhound tracks like Corpus Christi, Tucson, Phoenix, etc.

In closing out his account today we printed out his final day's play. Gary cashed the very last wager he ever made. Posthumously.

It was a wager he queued up for a race going off very early the day after he died (about 1:30 AM CDT), October 12 at Phoenix Greyhound Park.

I hope people don't find this morbid. I think he would have liked me to share that story.

Skanoochies
10-17-2007, 07:36 PM
Rest in peace Gary. Condolences to the family.

Skanoochies.

BillW
10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
Ind: He was actually a dog player, and a very good one. He specialized in finding value at smaller greyhound tracks like Corpus Christi, Tucson, Phoenix, etc.

In closing out his account today we printed out his final day's play. Gary cashed the very last wager he ever made. Posthumously.

It was a wager he queued up for a race going off very early the day after he died (about 1:30 AM CDT), October 12 at Phoenix Greyhound Park.

I hope people don't find this morbid. I think he would have liked me to share that story.

He lived about 15 minutes from Gulf Greyhound Park.

chickenhead
10-17-2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks for sharing that Ian. While I didn't know him, I'm sure he'd have approved.

Rest in Peace, K9.

Tom
10-17-2007, 10:58 PM
...I hope people don't find this morbid. I think he would have liked me to share that story.

Heck, that is the stuff of legends! I'm sure he would be proud. Who amoung us would want to go out any other way? Thanks for the good thoughts about him.

46zilzal
10-17-2007, 10:59 PM
A retired out rider had his ashes dispersed down the stretch over the weekend. A good ending to a life.

Dave Schwartz
10-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Very sorry to hear this.

Dave Schwartz

dylbert
10-17-2007, 11:46 PM
Posthumous winner... atta boy, Gary. That's one better than going out a winner. Imagine, you arrive in heaven and can state, "what a wonderful life, I'm dead and I'm still winning."

I wonder if you can get shutout in heaven? I'm sure my grandmother will explain that one to me someday. In 2004, I sat in hospital with her watching and making mythical wagers on Breeders' Cup. Maybe her and Gary can box a quinella together, her favorite dog track wager.

WJ47
10-18-2007, 12:23 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. It sounds like it was unexpected and he was enjoying his life and wagering until the very end. It's a shame he died so young.

I liked that story about the final wager he made being a winner. I hope when its my time to go, there is a good story to tell about my passing. I don't think it's morbid at all; I think it's sweet.

RIP, K9PUP.

PaceAdvantage
10-18-2007, 02:42 AM
Oh wow, I'm so sorry to hear about Gary's passing. There are so many good people in this little community of ours, it's a shame life doesn't afford us the opportunity to really get to know many of them on a personal basis....

Rest in Peace Gary.

boomman
10-18-2007, 08:37 AM

Ian: I am sure Gary is smiling from up above that you passed on this story to us and wouldn't find it "morbid" in the least. Although I didn't know Gary personally, I was very familiar with his postings and am saddened to hear of his sudden passing. My heartfelt condolences go out to Gary's family........

Boomer

Bruddah
10-18-2007, 10:39 AM
I had conversed with Gary many times, when he posted at the old Hottalkers board. We never wrote anything about our personal lives. We only talked about racing.

After reading Gary's obit, I realized, we had so much in common. I am originally from Galveston Tx., went to Ball High School and the Univ. of Texas. While, I graduated 5 years before he and never knew him, I wished we had spoke a little more of our personal lives and had found out these commonalities, while Gary was still alive.

Gary, may you rest in peace and God's love.
John Wilkins

Premier Turf Club
10-18-2007, 02:10 PM
I received an e-mail from a friend of K9pup's this morning that said Gary died suddenly of a massive heart attack Thursday afternoon.

I guess the lesson is none of knows when our time will come and we should live each moment we have to its fullest. Seeing how Gary and I exchanged e-mails that morning about wagering technology and that he placed 302 wagers that day, he obviously went out doing what he loved to do.

DeanT
10-18-2007, 02:27 PM
We had a gentleman pass in the same sudden way on a harness racing board recently. I felt horrible, so I can understand how his friends feel here.

I never met him. But I felt I knew him. I passed on many of the thoughts in a topic about him when it happened, to his brother. His family appreciated reading the thoughts of his friends that they never knew. I don't profess to know what Gary's family would want, but I put that out there to Ian should he want to forward the topic for the family.

We later had a race named in his honour at a local racetrack. The family showed up and we all met and shared a few stories. I don't think we appreciate just how boards like this in this day and age can forge friendships.

Anyhow, I am new here, and didnt know Gary, but I feel for his family and all those who knew him.

jognlope
10-18-2007, 03:40 PM
I am sorry for the loss of Gary. RIP.

JustRalph
10-18-2007, 03:57 PM
he placed 302 wagers that day, he obviously went out doing what he loved to do.

Wow! What a way to go...........302 wagers in a day.......Amazing.........

Rest in peace.............and always be known as a winner..........! :ThmbUp:

gjones6794
10-18-2007, 11:12 PM
Very sad to hear about Gary. As someone who spent many days and nights at Gulf Greyhound Park, Gary's home track, I know that one of the bro's has passed on.

CryingForTheHorses
10-19-2007, 06:55 PM
Geeze!!!..With all the chit-chat about Gary..Im sure it would have been a honor to know him..Very sorry for the loss to all of you who knew him. My condolences to his family..God Bless you Gary.

classhandicapper
10-19-2007, 07:08 PM
RIP Gary. :(

delayjf
10-19-2007, 07:15 PM
Rest in Pease Gary, you did it your way.