PDA

View Full Version : Middlemen out of control

46zilzal
10-16-2007, 11:40 AM
Yesterday, as I was about to make an assault on my favorite course (Fort Erie), I received a frantic phone call from my neighbor. Seems that his computer had gone down and he HAD to purchase some tickets for his son for an upcoming Bon Jovi concert. He told me that tickets officially went on sale a 10:00 AM so he had to be on line at 9:59.

I watched in amazement as he explained how he had to by pass "blocking" software that negates other requests so that scalpers can gobble up MOST of the tickets for re-sale. At 10:04, no new requests were being accepted as all 18,000 seats had been sold. HE NEVER GOT THROUGH. Then a few minutes later, a second show was announced, and, lo and behold, they were all gone in a few minutes.

In light of the recent fiasco (Hannah Montana, a Disney character from television) with all the seats sold to middlemen, there needs to be some control on this. None of her fans even got the chance to buy a ticket directly.

Up the street, a new apartment building began sales MONDAY. Already, there are real estate signs in the lobby, RE-SELLING many of the, as yet, UNOCCUPIED suites at big mark-ups. Years ago, when I tried to buy a seat for the Kentucky Derby a friend at Claiborne told me not to bother; "Big ticket agents get all the seats year in and year out and only about 1000 are sold each year."

I am all for free enterprise, but this practice is outrageous. I thought there were laws against scalping. I guess they aren't ever held to account these days.

Tom
10-16-2007, 11:52 AM
I'm with you, 46. This is unacceptable. Scalping......when did that become legal?
I heard a blurp about this on the radio this morning, something about this being looked at, maybe regulated? Only caught the last bit of it and didn't get a lot of info, but it is really out of hand.

I get that feeling this part of the same problme with whales and software looking for overlays in the last nano seconds of wagering while I'm, trying to punhc in a ticket at You Bet???? :ThmbDown::ThmbDown::ThmbDown:

PS-have fun at the track - FE is a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. LOVE it there.

GaryG
10-16-2007, 12:01 PM
Yes, that is indeed unfair. My step son that lives in Cheyenne thought he would check into Rockies world series tickets. He would have to mortgage his wife and one of the children. I don't think he is going to do it but you never know.

russowen77
10-16-2007, 12:21 PM
Sadly, if people wold refuse to buy at jacked up prices then all of those guys would go away. It will never happen of course but it would be sweet to see to see thousands of empty seats at a major affair.

Tom
10-16-2007, 12:41 PM
I paid $5 to see the WHO live (Won't Get Fooled Again) ...and bitched for a week about the cost! Jethro Tull socked me $10......I cried like a baby!

delayjf
10-16-2007, 01:00 PM
Out in California it's legal. I was going to a Jimmy Buffett concert, till I saw the price, 150.00 a ticket, Unbelievable. :ThmbDown:

46zilzal
10-16-2007, 01:03 PM
There should be a 4 ticket limit per request/customer, period.

OTM Al
10-16-2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know if that even stops them 46. I got a first preference on the public sale of Yankees tickets this year. Sale started at 10. Yankees put on sale both ALDS and ALCS tickets at the same time and you could only buy 2 to one game. Being the optimist that I am and with the fact that I had tickets secured to the first 2 home games for the Mets, I figured I'd try for the ALCS. Hit the site at 10 and tried Game 2 first. Nothing available. Then tried game 3. Nothing. I know many went to season package ticket holders but surly there were bleacher seats left, but nothing. Gone that quick.

46zilzal
10-16-2007, 02:39 PM
interesting article about same.
http://ca.askmen.com/sports/business_100/142_sports_business.html

wonatthewire1
10-16-2007, 08:05 PM
www.stubhub.com

(a division of Ebay)

though I noticed that all "ticket brokers" carry basically the same tickets - could just be a clearing house type of set-up as it doesn't matter what way you get there, you are going for the same seats.

I have used them in the past for NY Yankee tickets for when a nephew was visiting from NC for his first baseball game. Very expensive as we were right next to the players wives in the lower section behind home plate.

Reminds me of the sports memorabilia market where everything has to be signed, authenticated, etc...and really, for what purpose?

I also remember being at a Yankee game back in the late '80's - a double header with the Twins and we were right behind the dugout - place was empty and someone yelled at Rags - "you owe us money" - how times have changed!