PDA

View Full Version : Boycott?

bflodave
10-15-2007, 10:39 PM
For those of us who think the Biancone suspension is a joke- (one yr. for the snake venom, one yr. + for some other violations, but they are to be served concurrently)!-
Well, the only way i can react is by withholding my bets from the Ky. tracks.....Keeneland currently.
Anyone think this is a good response to a disgraceful suspension....(i think he should be banned for life). Other options? Thanks.

gIracing
10-15-2007, 11:17 PM
a year away from doing something you love and putting food on the table is a long, long time my friend

bflodave
10-15-2007, 11:26 PM
I'm not without compassion, but i am for justice. Fact is that IF he loved this sport, he wouldn't have cheated, which could kill the sport. It's also not like he doesn't have a history of cheating. Not withstanding the personal pain it might inflict, the greater good should be served. What about all the true horsepeople who don't cheat?

kenwoodallpromos
10-15-2007, 11:57 PM
I have not bet Keeneland this meet and will not.
I am skiddish about any "supertrainer" horses in the BC, I expect too many overlays anyway.

DeanT
10-16-2007, 01:32 AM
I think that is the wrong villian. Even catching this stuff is a big step forward. Veitch did a great job, imo.

The business has to get a little more Hong Kong-like and do the job. It is almost impossible to catch snake venom and EPO, so when they do, they must act in a harsher way. Detention barns and things like that can stop snake and snail venom, but has no effect on blood builders, which can also kill horses. They can not stop this stuff unless they start kicking people out forever, imo, Just like Hong Kong does.

David-LV
10-16-2007, 07:17 AM
a year away from doing something you love and putting food on the table is a long, long time my friend

The harness trainers that were caught in the past at the Meadowlands with the same violation were banned for life and not just slapped on the wrist with a one year suspension.

This is not the first time that Biancone has been caught doing something illegal. This is very sad because I believe that Mr. Biancone is a great trainer that doesn't need to go down the cheating road. :( :(

________
David

lilmegahertz
10-16-2007, 12:54 PM
Bianconehead should be injected with the stuff himself.:mad: In my opinion he did not really get punished.:mad: Ban the jerk for life and stuff him in a tiny cell with the cellmate from heck.:mad: What he did and what countless others are doing is animal abuse and it also keeps the tarnish on my beloved sport.:mad: :mad:

PS- Sorry for yelling but thios really gets me angry...

njcurveball
10-16-2007, 01:26 PM
I am curious if the people withholding their bets from Keeneland usually bet on track or even in Kentucky?

Boycotting a track at a simulcast venue sends no message at all. Boycotting with an Internet Betting service sends even less.

It is similar to you boycotting your local Exxon because you hate the company.

I am all for the Biancone suspension, if blood samples were frozen we may be finally figuring out what went into All Along other than hay and oats.

As Oscar proved years ago, you don't have to get the best drugs, just get ones they aren't testing for.

Now if you want to inject him, I think we can take a poll on where to put it.

jillybeans
10-16-2007, 01:34 PM
What was the punishment for Canadian based trainer Frank Passero at Gulfstream when he rubbed pepper on the horses balls before each race when Passero was on that 'hot' winning streak? I cant recollect. Maybe Biancone should involve himself in Michael Vicks empire.

DeanT
10-16-2007, 01:38 PM
I think this is emblematic of the ADW question and is evidentiary of the dearth of leadership of racing as a whole.

Who do you direct your anger towards as a bettor and horse owner in situations like this? Who is able to make a decision to make the sport better?

Imo, there is none, so bettors and owners just leave.

jillybeans
10-16-2007, 01:41 PM
Who do you direct your anger to..thats simple...Great horse racing visionary Frank Stronach of MEC or Chef Bob Evans of Churchill Downs.

toetoe
10-16-2007, 01:44 PM
Aw, Dave, why you wanna *b* so flo ? You don't have all the data, do you ? It's a decision for the benign fascists known as racing authorities, right ? You know, like those forward-(about 30 minutes forward)-thinking folks in California who mandated Astrodirt on all major tracks in California.

If the powers decide Phat Pat is a bad boy, they'll punish him, thereby leaving the track to clean guys in the Woody Stephens tradition --- lying, committing workout fraud, etc. :ThmbUp:

Tom
10-16-2007, 01:50 PM

Then acting responsibly while doing it might be in order.

DeanT
10-16-2007, 01:54 PM
Who do you direct your anger to..thats simple...Great horse racing visionary Frank Stronach of MEC or Chef Bob Evans of Churchill Downs.

That might help in the ADW question, but not in the drug penalty one. Being track owners if they stood up and started not accepting entries for drugs, beyond a suspension, they would get less entries and less money through handle, while an opposing track would get more entries and higher handles.

Doing the right thing costs you money in racing.

tholl
10-16-2007, 02:53 PM
For those of us who think the Biancone suspension is a joke- (one yr. for the snake venom, one yr. + for some other violations, but they are to be served concurrently)!-
Well, the only way i can react is by withholding my bets from the Ky. tracks.....Keeneland currently.
Anyone think this is a good response to a disgraceful suspension....(i think he should be banned for life). Other options? Thanks.

Disagree.

For one thing he has not been found guilty of actually using the stuff since there's no test. It also has not been proved that he knew it was there. However, the vet did know and possession got him 5 years and his career as a vet is over.

Secondly, and more importantly, the sentence is a step in the right direction since his horses cannot be transferred to an assistant or relative and Biancone will not be able to train via cell-phone as with all other trainers. It will be hard, although he has some loyal owners, for him to resume his career at the end of the year off. For implementing this rule Kentucky should be commended.

However, with appeals now starting it maybe a while before this sentence is carried out.

kenwoodallpromos
10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Disagree.

For one thing he has not been found guilty of actually using the stuff since there's no test. It also has not been proved that he knew it was there. However, the vet did know and possession got him 5 years and his career as a vet is over.

Secondly, and more importantly, the sentence is a step in the right direction since his horses cannot be transferred to an assistant or relative and Biancone will not be able to train via cell-phone as with all other trainers. It will be hard, although he has some loyal owners, for him to resume his career at the end of the year off. For implementing this rule Kentucky should be commended.

However, with appeals now starting it maybe a while before this sentence is carried out.
The vet who got 5 years was also PB's California vet, so I assume they drugged ALL his horses in Ky plus in Ca. Part of the vet's suspension was for refusing to name which horses and trainers got the dope by refusing to hand over the records, and part was because there was no doubt about the drugs being there. Biancone by claiming they were for another trainer admitted they were in his area.
Racing rules state the trainer is responible for drugs in areas he controls
There are 2 reasons why catching someone with illegal drugs and/or equiptment (PB was caught with both) is because only about 25% of horses have blood drawn, and not all of those get tested, and 2) the authorities know that illegal use is so rampant that if the goods are there they were or would be used. Same as for milkshaking equiptment.
As far as lack of ways to enforce rules, every track including Keeneland reserves the right to ban anyone for any reason, and specifically in writing to ban trainers, although individual tracks rarely use it. PB will never darken the Keeneland track again if enough people demand it.

kenwoodallpromos
10-16-2007, 03:36 PM
"Keeneland Association, Inc. Stall Application Revocable License, Release and Waiver of Liability Agreement

A valid signature on this document indicates that the undersigned hereby agrees to the following terms and conditions in consideration of the permission of the Keeneland Association, Inc. for the stabling of horses.

The Conditions for Stall Allocations must be abided by as follows:
Rules and Regulations. The undersigned will abide by all rules and regulations of Keeneland, including, without limitation, House Rules, relating to "Milkshake" testing or other rules, and the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority, at any time adopted or as they may be amended. Trainer and Owner(s) shall be responsible for obtaining and becoming familiar with such rules and regulations.
Tack Rooms. Tack rooms will be allocated to horsemen based on the number of stalls utilized. One tack room will be allocated for every four stalls filled.
Allocations. Allocations of all stall space are made only with the agreement of Trainer that Keeneland reserves to itself the exclusive right, in its sole discretion, to enter, modify, alter or change the physical condition or use of any of its facilities; that the permission granted herein to Trainer to use Keeneland’s facilities is solely for purposes incidental to racing, does not constitute a lease of such facilities and Keeneland maintains the sole interest in and exclusive control of its premises and facilities; and that Keeneland reserves to itself the exclusive right and sole discretion to reduce or to totally eliminate the number of stalls assigned and/or change the location of stalls assigned to the Trainer.
****Revocation. Trainer agrees that the license granted herein to enter on Keeneland grounds and to use Keeneland facilities is subject to revocation, with or ****without cause, and in the sole and exclusive discretion of Keeneland. The undersigned will vacate stalls and move all horses, equipment and personnel, upon request, from Keeneland property within a reasonable time. A violation of the rules or regulations of the Kentucky Horse Racing Authority or the conditions, rules and regulations of Keeneland or the creation, in whole or in part, by Trainer of any condition that may interfere with the safe and efficient operation of its business by Keeneland or the termination of the Trainer’s agency relationship with the Owner(s) listed on the reverse side hereof, shall, in each case, subject this license to immediate revocation exercised at Keeneland’s sole and exclusive discretion, without any prior notice.
Medication Compliance. The parties agree that all horses on Keeneland grounds may, at Keeneland’s discretion and direction, be subject to inspection which may include, at Keeneland’s discretion, the taking of a blood, urine, saliva or other specimen, which may be tested by Keeneland or its designees for the purposes of insuring compliance with medication rules applicable in Kentucky and/or for purposes of insuring the integrity of racing.
Search and Seizure. ****The undersigned expressly grants to Keeneland the right, without prior notice to search the person, or to order and search the stall area, rooms, lockers, vehicles and automobiles and any other area of the Keeneland premises occupied by undersigned, whether locked or unlocked, and to seize any illegal or unauthorized drugs, medication, mechanical devices, or other prohibited, unsafe or cruel items."

skate
10-16-2007, 03:51 PM
Disagree.

if he was NOT found guilpty, he goes free.

thanks for that info:ThmbUp:

tholl
10-16-2007, 04:53 PM
if he was NOT found guilpty, he goes free.

thanks for that info:ThmbUp:

Lol--being found guilty of just having it in his barn is enough to ensure he does not go free.

Robert Fischer
10-16-2007, 08:53 PM
look at the OWNERS

the owners are not only the reason this guy hasn't been kicked out for life

the owners also do not wish to be inconvenienced and will continue to hire Biancone through the Breeders Cup. :blush:

go la traviata:ThmbDown:

Kelso
10-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Doing the right thing costs you money in racing.

Spot on. So, perhaps the more effective course of action is to boycott all races that include a Biancone runner? That'll cost the tracks in take, and the cause will be clear.