PDA

View Full Version : REgular or ROth IRA?

jognlope
10-14-2007, 09:32 AM
Anyone get one of these. You have to pay for 10 years, right? I have to start one in a couple years so I'm not living in a tent in Arizona, although that sounds kinda nice, when I retire.

Are you taking early retirement or waiting until 65, 66?

Can you play stocks online?

Alright, give it up, need all your money-making info, retirement planning, etc.

( don't want to hear from company employees with great benefits!!!!) Only interested in self employed or uninsured or the working poor like me!!!

RaceBookJoe
10-14-2007, 07:03 PM
The main difference i believe is that regular IRA contributions are tax-deductable but you et taxed when you withdraw. Roth IRA you cant deduct contributions but you do not get taxed on withdrawels, whichi is great especially if you buy stocks and hit some homeruns here and there. You can trade stocks,mutual fund and options i believe. You cant short stocks though, but if you dont like a stock you can always buy a put option. Hope that helps a little bit. If I think of anything else I will post.

Sailwolf
10-14-2007, 07:13 PM
The main difference i believe is that regular IRA contributions are tax-deductable but you et taxed when you withdraw. Roth IRA you cant deduct contributions but you do not get taxed on withdrawels, whichi is great especially if you buy stocks and hit some homeruns here and there. You can trade stocks,mutual fund and options i believe. You cant short stocks though, but if you dont like a stock you can always buy a put option. Hope that helps a little bit. If I think of anything else I will post.

There are income restrictions for a Roth IRA and income restrictions for a regular (deductible) IRA if the place you work has a pension plan

Where do you get the ten year rule? The decision to contribute is on a year by year basis.

Talk to a tax person who deals in this type of situation.

jognlope
10-14-2007, 08:17 PM
THANKS i hope it's not a 10-year thing, I like roth better then.

wes
10-14-2007, 08:58 PM
http://mutualfunds.about.com/od/roth401k/a/roth401k.htm

For Information only:

wes