PDA

View Full Version : Good news on CA ADW front

NoCal Boy
10-13-2007, 11:15 PM
Governor Arnold signed the ADW Bill today in California. Hopefully will bring open access to the state beginning in 2008.

Indulto
10-13-2007, 11:29 PM
Governor Arnold signed the ADW Bill today in California. Hopefully will bring open access to the state beginning in 2008.So wagering exclusivity was TERMINATED?:jump:

Would Grey Davis have signed that bill? ;)

NoCal Boy
10-13-2007, 11:44 PM
The new law does not ban any exclusivity, but it makes it much more difficult as it expressly requires horsemen approval for in-state ADW contracts, and provides for some teerh on out of state races into CA for ADW customers. Plus the CHRB is adament about eliminating wagering exclusivity and requiring it as a condition to licensing. Put the new law plus a determined CHRB together, and I believe wagering exclusivity will be a thing of the past in CA starting in 2008.

The CHRB and TOC generally have acknowledged broadcast exclusivity is not going to be prohibited and the providers TVG and HRTV will get additional compensation for providing the broadcasts. Tracks might actually stumble over themselves to get on TVG as long as their wagering rights are not restricted. TVG has far better distribution than HRTV.

DJofSD
10-14-2007, 12:23 AM
The new law does not ban any exclusivity, but it makes it much more difficult as it expressly requires horsemen approval for in-state ADW contracts, and provides for some teerh on out of state races into CA for ADW customers. Plus the CHRB is adament about eliminating wagering exclusivity and requiring it as a condition to licensing. Put the new law plus a determined CHRB together, and I believe wagering exclusivity will be a thing of the past in CA starting in 2008.

The CHRB and TOC generally have acknowledged broadcast exclusivity is not going to be prohibited and the providers TVG and HRTV will get additional compensation for providing the broadcasts. Tracks might actually stumble over themselves to get on TVG as long as their wagering rights are not restricted. TVG has far better distribution than HRTV.

Doesn't appear to offer any solution to the continuing issue I have with not being able to bet on races such as the entire BEL card or CNL.

Unless and until I can open an account with a ADW company of my choosing, not the choosing of the G. D. CHRB or TOC, and, I am able to wager on any race from any venue, this is just so much ass covering and posturing, as far as I'm concerned.

chickenhead
10-14-2007, 02:12 AM
WHAT ABOUT REBATES

This kind of "open access" is like being allowed to go to any restaurant of my choosing, so long as I order the chicken nuggets and grilled cheese, while all around me people are gorging themselves on fois and tuna tartar.

Indulto
10-14-2007, 02:29 AM
WHAT ABOUT REBATES

This kind of "open access" is like being allowed to go to any restaurant of my choosing, so long as I order the chicken nuggets and grilled cheese, while all around me people are gorging themselves on fois and tuna tartar.It's beginning to sound as if the rebate issue may be a "sacred cow" in Sacramento.

Perhaps advocacy for lowering takeout could succeed as an alternative under the guise of providing a level playing field for ADWs rather than players? ;)

Topcat
10-14-2007, 02:40 AM
Does anyone have a link to tha actual bill? I'd like to read it.

Ian what is your take on this? Is it possible in '08 CA residents could bet via PTC? I'd join in a heart beat and up my wagering level to boot.

TC

chrisl
10-14-2007, 10:13 AM
Tell me where that cow is. I live in Sacramento, I will find it, and put it right on the BBQ. Hopefully a good sign of times to come.Chrisl

Premier Turf Club
10-14-2007, 02:01 PM
Does anyone have a link to tha actual bill? I'd like to read it.

Ian what is your take on this? Is it possible in '08 CA residents could bet via PTC? I'd join in a heart beat and up my wagering level to boot.

TC

I'd like to think we'd get a California ADW license. After being stonewalled by the TOC in just trying to get signals fron non-California customers we decided to wait until 'things were different' before applying for a license.

I think it's safe to say that things are getting different very quickly. ;)

Indulto
10-18-2007, 03:09 AM
http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41412 (http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41412)
Calif. Account Wagering Law Extended by Governor
by Jack Shinar

… Drew Couto, president of the TOC, said Oct. 16 that he is "quite pleased" with the version signed by the governor one day before the state deadline.

"It's the next step in the evolution of advance deposit wagering and ADW law," he said.

The TOC has criticized account wagering, contending that providers are reaping big profits while not paying a fair share toward purses, especially on out-of-state wagers on California races. It argued for a stronger role in setting hub agreements -- contractual compensation paid on account wagers -- during months of negotiations over the original replacement bill authored by Assemblyman Anthony Portantino.

… Under the new provisions, ADW law requires the consent of TOC before an account wagering provider and racetrack association can conduct wagering on races held in the state, according to the legislative analyst's office. It also provides a process for hub fee agreements and a 60-day arbitration of disputes. It makes it explicit that a hub agreement is required for an ADW provider to receive contractual compensation for races conducted outside of California.

… Three ADW companies have been licensed in the state since 2002 -- TVG, XpressBet and Youbet.com -- with a fourth, Churchill Down's wagering platform Twinspires.com, set to gain approval possibly as soon as Oct. 18 from the California Horse Racing Board.

DJofSD
10-18-2007, 09:50 AM
The TOC raises their ugly head again.

Why should a non elected body have any say about the money handled by ADW companies? It's just greed raised to a fine art as far as I'm concerned. They see money that would be rebated to the account holder as money left on the table and they want it. Again, greedy bastards.

startngate
10-18-2007, 02:07 PM
Topcat ... Full text:

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/07-08/bill/asm/ab_0751-0800/ab_765_bill_20071013_chaptered.html