PDA

View Full Version : Lady Joanne

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Can anyone explain to me why so many hosts and announcers pronounce her name as "Lady Joan-EE" instead of the obviously correct "Lady Jo-ANN?"

gIracing
10-13-2007, 06:19 PM
because it looks like jo-anne

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 06:32 PM
That's right. Why isn't it proounced that way?

BillW
10-13-2007, 06:37 PM
That's right. Why isn't it proounced that way?

The owners (or someone involved in the naming?) have declared Joan-ee to be correct. :)

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 06:39 PM
because it looks like jo-anne

It looks like Jo-anne so it's pronounced Joan-ee? What am I missing?

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 06:41 PM
That's insane. If I name a horse "Dog" am I allowed to have it pronounced "Cat?"

Surely a line must be drawn somewhere.

GlenninOhio
10-13-2007, 06:42 PM
Makes no sense at first blush, Peter.

JOANNE

Gender: Feminine Usage: English (http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/eng.php) Pronounced: jo-AN

Source: http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=joanne

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2007, 06:45 PM
Lady Joanne or
Lady JOAN-ne

Another example:

Why is COUNTRY pronounced the way that it is, yet COUNT is pronounced in a different manner? Now that would make for a good George Carlin bit,wouldn't it? :lol:

BillW
10-13-2007, 06:47 PM
That's insane. If I name a horse "Dog" am I allowed to have it pronounced "Cat?"

Yep. Especially if the horse responds to "here kitty kitty". :lol: :lol:

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 06:49 PM
Makes no sense at first blush, Peter.

JOANNE

Gender: Feminine Usage: English (http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/eng.php) Pronounced: jo-AN

Source: http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=joanne (http://www.behindthename.com/php/view.php?name=joanne)

If she ever races at Mountaineer she'll get "Jo-Anne." We have a responsibility to kids to pronounce words as they should be pronounced. There are far too many misspellings and "owners' requests" to cover their mistakes or misguided attempts at being cute. I refuse to play that game.

Tee
10-13-2007, 07:01 PM
How is Jeanne pronounced?

GlenninOhio
10-13-2007, 07:03 PM
If she ever races at Mountaineer she'll get "Jo-Anne." We have a responsibility to kids to pronounce words as they should be pronounced. There are far too many misspellings and "owners' requests" to cover their mistakes or misguided attempts at being cute. I refuse to play that game.

Good for you, Peter!

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 07:12 PM

Jeen

Tee
10-13-2007, 07:30 PM
Jeen

Not to be confused with Genie?

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Not to be confused with Genie?

Of course. Or Jeanie or Jeannie.

English is English.

dylbert
10-13-2007, 08:45 PM
Joanne can be either Jo-anne or Joan-ee -- it is owner's call.

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 09:20 PM

No it isn't, unless the owner wants to call the race, then he can bastardize every horse in the race if the whim strikes him.

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 09:22 PM

I know. Let's just completely ignore the English dictionary. How about that?

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 09:23 PM

I now wish to be called Peter Berree. It's my call.

gIracing
10-13-2007, 09:27 PM
I remember having to strain myself in Barboro's first races being called Bar-Bear-o

I remember Vous ran at like 4 different tracks, and had 4 different prenouncations

but yeah..that's silly. If you wanted her pronounced that way, it should be spelled in a way that you want it pronounced.

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 09:30 PM
I remember having to strain myself in Barboro's first races being called Bar-Bear-o

I remember Vous ran at like 4 different tracks, and had 4 different prenouncations

but yeah..that's silly. If you wanted her pronounced that way, it should be spelled in a way that you want it pronounced.

Thanks you, linesmen, thank you, ballboys.

dylbert
10-13-2007, 09:36 PM
In Louisiana, city spelled Monroe is pronounced Mun-roe'; in Michigan, it's Mon'-roe. In Louisiana, Lafayette is pronounced La-fee'-ett; in Mississippi & Georgia, it's luh'-fay-ett; in Indiana, lah-fay-ett.

Please don't tell me that you never encounter someone who pronounces their name differently than someone else. It is another thing that makes life interesting.

Oh, I think Carl & Calvin with rock Monmouth Park with Lady Joanne in two weeks.

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 09:45 PM
In Louisiana, city spelled Monroe is pronounced Mun-roe'; in Michigan, it's Mon'-roe. In Louisiana, Lafayette is pronounced La-fee'-ett; in Mississippi & Georgia, it's luh'-fay-ett; in Indiana, lah-fay-ett.

Please don't tell me that you never encounter someone who pronounces their name differently than someone else. It is another thing that makes life interesting.

Oh, I think Carl & Calvin with rock Monmouth Park with Lady Joanne in two weeks.

"Joanne" would have to be one of the easiest words in the English language to pronounce. If someone from Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Georgia or Indiana can't handle it, they should go back to school - probably in another state!!!

dylbert
10-13-2007, 09:55 PM
"Joanne" would have to be one of the easiest words in the English language to pronounce. If someone from Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, Georgia or Indiana can't handle it, they should go back to school - probably in another state!!! :lol: OK, let's just agree to disagree... on how one pronounces, J-O-A-N-N-E. This discussion is officially hysterical! :lol:

Peter Berry
10-13-2007, 09:59 PM
:lol: OK, let's just agree to disagree... on how one pronounces, J-O-A-N-N-E. This discussion is officially hysterical! :lol:

Fair enough. I have had my say. I'm quite happy to side with the Queen's English.

BeauNarro
10-13-2007, 10:28 PM
Jo anne or Joan ee..I don't care as long as she does good in every race she runs. I own a weanling colt by Orientate so I wish her all the racing luck she can have.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-13-2007, 10:51 PM
Hi Beau! Good to see you here!

Peter - I enjoy your race calls at Moutaineer. I agree with you on the Jo-Ann version of Lady Joanne. Don't know if owners wanted Jo-nee, or if prior race callers just knew women who pronounce it that way and it sort of stuck. I know of one TV hosts that butchered a lot of names, and then expected the co-hosts and race caller to use the same pronounciation to keep them from looking bad, and would have had the clout if it was needed. But something seemingly straight forward, the owner may want one thing, but if no one tells the callers & TV staff, then they hopefully get what appears logical.

I reckon if Lady Joanne is racing in stakes and allowances on the same circuit, maybe they'll keep wanting her called Jo-Nee. In the odd event she shows up in a $5,000 claimer, they'll let her be called anything, and preferably 'Claimed'. ;)

How long did so many of us, myself included, think Invasor was pronounced "In-vaze-or'" instead of In-Vah-Sore.

HAH!!! I just heard you comment the 10th Race about My Maddie Jo Anne and some people calling that Joan-nee! I Love It!

Thanks Peter! Have a good night!

jballscalls
10-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Peter,

while i'm a big believer in pronouncing the name however the people spell it, if the owner does call and ask for it to be pronounced a certain way, then i will always do it. Strictly because there is one person who ten years from now is going to have the tape of the race, the owner.

WJ47
10-13-2007, 11:46 PM

My name is Jeanne Lynn. My parents, teachers, and relatives have always pronounced it "Genie". People that don't know me pronounce it "jean" or Jee-Ann or sometimes Janine or Ja-nay. It seems alot of people have trouble with it. So when I noticed that the next hurricane was going to be called Hurricane Jeanne, I was eager to hear how it would officially be pronounced. Of course, they pronounced it "Jean" and we all told my mother that she'd spelled my name wrong on the darn birth certificate! :lol:

It would have been better for me in high school had my name been Jean. I used to take alot of razzing from the boys.

Tee
10-13-2007, 11:55 PM
Bought the current house from a Jeanne - pronounced "Genie."

My name is Jeanne Lynn. My parents, teachers, and relatives have always pronounced it "Genie". People that don't know me pronounce it "jean" or Jee-Ann or sometimes Janine or Ja-nay. It seems alot of people have trouble with it. So when I noticed that the next hurricane was going to be called Hurricane Jeanne, I was eager to hear how it would officially be pronounced. Of course, they pronounced it "Jean" and we all told my mother that she'd spelled my name wrong on the darn birth certificate! :lol:

It would have been better for me in high school had my name been Jean. I used to take alot of razzing from the boys.

PaceAdvantage
10-13-2007, 11:57 PM
When I first heard Tom Durkin call this horse Lady "Joan-ie," I thought, wow, Tom must be really having a bad day. Then I found out that this was the proper pronunciation, and I internally apologized to Tom for my misguided criticism.

Look, this is a graded stakes winner, and if the owners want her called "Joan-ie," I think they deserve the respect of calling their horse the way they want her to be called.

Lots of folks have tough names that aren't pronounced the way they appear on paper. That doesn't mean we go around pronouncing their names the way WE think they should be pronounced. That would be disrespectful, in my opinion.

We're in that whole thing, too," said Carl Nafzger, who trains Lady Joanne (pronounced "Joanie") for owner-breeder Bentley Smith. "I mean, we've got to see where we belong before we think of anything else, including the Breeders' Cup." http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/horse/breederscup07/news/story?id=3051166It was the first Grade 1 win for Lady Joanne (pronounced JO-nee), named after owner Bentley Smith (http://www.ntra.com/stats_bios.aspx?id=5717)'s wife. It was Lady Joanne's sixth win from nine career starts. http://www.ntra.com/content.aspx?id=27247&type=news

gIracing
10-14-2007, 12:06 AM
When I first heard Tom Durkin call this horse Lady "Joan-ie," I thought, wow, Tom must be really having a bad day. Then I found out that this was the proper pronunciation, and I internally apologized to Tom for my misguided criticism.

Look, this is a graded stakes winner, and if the owners want her called "Joan-ie," I think they deserve the respect of calling their horse the way they want her to be called.

Lots of folks have tough names that aren't pronounced the way they appear on paper. That doesn't mean we go around pronouncing their names the way WE think they should be pronounced. That would be disrespectful, in my opinion.

this has to be the silliest arguement ever.. how was she named then?

"okay.. we are going to name her Lady Joanne".. but because we want to be cute, its' going to be called "Joanie"

IF YOU WANT HER NAMED A CERTAIN WAY, SPELL IT THAT WAY!!!

IT'S NOT ROCKET SCIENCE!!

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2007, 12:18 AM
The article states that the horse is named after Bentley L. Smith's wife. I don't know the back story to him or his wife, or whether his wife is named Joanne but people call her "Joanie" as a nickname, for whatever reason.

Either way, who are we to say it should be pronounced in a way that is against the owner's wishes?

gIracing
10-14-2007, 12:22 AM
The article states that the horse is named after Bentley L. Smith's wife. I don't know the back story to him or his wife, or whether his wife is named Joanne but people call her "Joanie" as a nickname, for whatever reason.

Either way, who are we to say it should be pronounced in a way that is against the owner's wishes?

you even just stated it yourself!!!

if his wife's name was "joanne" but people call her "joanie" as a nickname.. that doesn't mean that joanne=joanie

you pick one. You either dedicate a horse to her real name, or one to her nickname.

PaceAdvantage
10-14-2007, 12:36 AM
you pick one. You either dedicate a horse to her real name, or one to her nickname.You said it yourself, this is silly....

But, to plod on, if her name is Joanne, but people call her Joanie, for whatever reason, they do the same to the horse. Spell it Joanne but call her Joanie....

It happens with people as well....former Red Sox infielder Bill Mueller is pronounced Miller. Looking at that name, I would expect it to be pronounced "Mule-er"

But you're right, this is silly....

Pace Cap'n
10-14-2007, 08:49 AM
Johnny Carson's first three wives were named Joan, Joanne, and Joanna. Wonder if name confusion had anything to do with the three divorces?

Bubbles
10-14-2007, 11:32 AM
My personal favorite name story is with a horse named Rize. He was a nice one, and won a few stakes, but it seemed like every time I saw the horse run on TV, the announcers were pronouncing his name differently. Minimum, I heard it pronounced Riz-AY, Riz-ZI, Rizzi, and Rise...LOL.

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 01:35 PM

It is far more disrespectful, in my opinion, to ignore centuries of the English language. It's now OK to ignore the correct name in favor of a nickname? Maybe some people just don't have the education level to cope with such a tricky word as Joanne. So, let's just do away with words altogether and go back to grunting.

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Now I understand why Spanish is fast becoming the dominant language in this country - simple English is just too darned hard.

dylbert
10-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Ummm, reminds of the fella named, Shithead. That's pronounced, Shi'-thed, you fool... :lol:

This thread refuses to die, too. :bang:

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 02:25 PM
Ummm, reminds of the fella named, Shithead. That's pronounced, Shi'-thed, you fool... :lol:

This thread refuses to die, too. :bang:

Didn't you just keep it going?

dylbert
10-14-2007, 03:34 PM
Didn't you just keep it going?No, actually you did! Sorry, I couldn't resist. I am slowly gaining on Tom before he reaches his 1 millionth post.

Drift
10-14-2007, 07:55 PM
This is really retarded. :rolleyes: Who cares how you pronounce her name?

I really like this horse so I don't care what her name is. But I suppose I am adding to this fire by posting anyways. But after seeing this post go to 3 pages, I had to say something.

What was more interesting is that on HRTV's 'Pursuit of the Cup' Aaron and Jeff said that Lprx was riding LJ for Nafzger and Borel was on Teammate.
BTW, I think LJ beats Panty Raid on conventional dirt. Now THAT would be a little more interesting....

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 08:14 PM
This is really retarded. :rolleyes: Who cares how you pronounce her name?

I really like this horse so I don't care what her name is. But I suppose I am adding to this fire by posting anyways. But after seeing this post go to 3 pages, I had to say something.

What was more interesting is that on HRTV's 'Pursuit of the Cup' Aaron and Jeff said that Lprx was riding LJ for Nafzger and Borel was on Teammate.
BTW, I think LJ beats Panty Raid on conventional dirt. Now THAT would be a little more interesting....

Who cares how you pronounce her name? Clearly, I do. Please start your own thread and see if it attracts three pages of comments.

dylbert
10-14-2007, 08:19 PM
BTW, I think LJ beats Panty Raid on conventional dirt. Now THAT would be a little more interesting....Are Aaron & Jeff really Beavis & Butthead? Calvin Borel rides for Nafzger -- no question. Corny Velasquez has ridden Teammate in 9 of her last 10 races (ones that are shown in Bris PPs). I don't see Nafzger tossing Boo for frog rider! Nor do I see Allen Jerkens bumping Cornelio for another rider.

Lady Joanne is my choice here as well. Teammate seems to always fail me when I wager on her.

dylbert
10-14-2007, 08:26 PM
So, Peter, how do you pronounce s-c-h-e-d-u-l-e? :confused:

lay-dee joe-knee rulez!!! Although I doubt she will ever run at historic Mountaineer racino in backwaters of West Virginia for you to mispronounce her name. :rolleyes:

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 08:34 PM
So, Peter, how do you pronounce s-c-h-e-d-u-l-e? :confused:

lay-dee joe-knee rulez!!! Although I doubt she will ever run at historic Mountaineer racino in backwaters of West Virginia for you to mispronounce her name. :rolleyes:

I say "sked-ule," others say "shed-ule." Both are correct. Do you have a point?

Zman179
10-14-2007, 08:36 PM
It may look like it's supposed to be pronounced like Lady Jo-anne, but it's actually pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove.

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 08:37 PM
If that's how the owners want it pronounced, why not!!!

dylbert
10-14-2007, 08:53 PM
I say "sked-ule," others say "shed-ule." Both are correct. Do you have a point?Yes, and you proved it well for me here. Thanks... Some words may have more than one acceptable/correct/proper pronunciation.

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes, and you proved it well for me here. Thanks... Some words may have more than one acceptable/correct/proper pronunciation.

I think you are kidding but, okay, I'll bite. Please direct me to the dictionary that gives more than one option for Joanne.

Steve 'StatMan'
10-14-2007, 09:40 PM
It may look like it's supposed to be pronounced like Lady Jo-anne, but it's actually pronounced Throat Wobbler Mangrove.

Glad I'm not the only one who remembers that Monty Python bit

dylbert
10-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Glad I'm not the only one who remembers that Monty Python bitand now for something completely different...

Peter Berry
10-14-2007, 10:11 PM
This is not much of a cheese shop.

BeauNarro
10-14-2007, 10:21 PM
The Dead Dog Cafe Comedy Hour

http://www.aspalta.cbc.ca/deaddog_asp/images/poitras.gif
Be it hereby declared and proclaimed that on
Sunday, October 14, 2007
The wheels were 'spun' for

LADY JOANNE

and she will henceforth be known by her new
AUTHENTIC INDIAN NAME:

Irene Outboard Elk

~ Stay Calm... Be Brave... Wait for the Signs ~

Drift
10-14-2007, 11:37 PM
Please start your own thread and see if it attracts three pages of comments.

Sorry, I thought this was a "racing discussion" about Lady Joanne. :rolleyes:

Steve 'StatMan'
10-15-2007, 12:23 AM
Actually, Peter started this thread, and the topic is actually about the pronounciation of Lady Joanne's name. See post #1.

PaceAdvantage
10-15-2007, 01:11 AM
I think you are kidding but, okay, I'll bite. Please direct me to the dictionary that gives more than one option for Joanne.Do you realize if you type How to pronounce Joanne into Google right now, this very thread pops up as the number THREE choice!!! :lol:

PaceAdvantage
10-15-2007, 01:14 AM
This is really retarded. :rolleyes: Who cares how you pronounce her name?I'll tell you who cares. The owners.

Drift
10-15-2007, 06:57 AM
Yes, the owners do care and I respect that, so should everyone.