PDA

View Full Version : College Football Rankings

harnesslover
10-13-2007, 02:17 PM
I must have been asleep for the past 6 weeks. I just noticed today that Boston College is ranked #4 in the country and South Florida is ranked #5 in the country?

WHat is going on??

DanG
10-13-2007, 06:10 PM
South Florida is ranked #5 in the country?

WHat is going on??
As it should be…;)

OK…USF would be neutral field dogs to most of the top-20, but we are finally seeing a “semi” level playing field by limiting scholarships, among other changes.

For example; Oklahoma can no longer stockpile (and promise playing time) 8 blue chip running backs and only play 1. Now 7 other universities have a shot at all 7 kids and the draft is proving you can go high from almost any school.

BTW: USF has this area BUZZING…Biggest sales increase in college sports merchandise in the country...by far. And why is it named 'South Florida in Tampa?...Still can't figure that one out. :eek: :D

harnesslover
10-13-2007, 08:34 PM
I was also shocked to see Cal was #2..

Well, maybe #1 now that LSU just got beat

kenwoodallpromos
10-13-2007, 10:42 PM
People are losing lots of bets on ranked teams!! I heard scholarships are spread around more nowadays so more teams have top players.

Bubbles
10-14-2007, 12:49 AM
Cal lost as well.

#1: Ohio State (until they lose to Michigan :) )
#2: Boston College
#3: USF :eek:

harnesslover
10-14-2007, 08:27 AM
Yeah I spoke too soon about Cal..

Watched the 2nd half of the Kentucky/LSU game - what a fantastic game that turned out to be. Probably one of the top 3 games I have watched in recent years, along withthe Boise St bowl game and the ND/USC game 3 years ago

46zilzal
10-14-2007, 12:25 PM
Parity...great, it will make the later part of the season more interesting.

dutchboy
10-14-2007, 01:14 PM
Gender equity rules changed everything once the NCAA required equal numbers of women and men. Every extra football player requires an extra babe playing in a money losing program. Build or improve men's facility that generates a profit and you get to do the same for the womens basketball program that is lucky to generate 500 people.

46zilzal
10-14-2007, 01:18 PM
I know that UCLA used to have one of the best gymnastics teams around but had to drop it over his parity.

toetoe
10-15-2007, 12:13 PM
Hey, I think my UCB Golden Bears were tops for about 30 minutes. :jump: :confused: :(

OTM Al
10-15-2007, 01:20 PM
Only thing I've never understood is why do you drop in the rankings when you lose to someone you are suppossed to lose to. Case in point my alma mater Purdue (#23) vs Ohio State (#4). Purdue is no better or worse after the game, but they lose the ranking and probably would have as well if it would have been 23-21 rather than 23-7

harnesslover
10-15-2007, 01:32 PM
Only thing I've never understood is why do you drop in the rankings when you lose to someone you are suppossed to lose to. Case in point my alma mater Purdue (#23) vs Ohio State (#4). Purdue is no better or worse after the game, but they lose the ranking and probably would have as well if it would have been 23-21 rather than 23-7

I want to know how BC is #3 when they have beaten exactly one ranked team

They've beaten Wake, NC State, GA Tech (ranked 15th at the time), Army, Umass, Bowling Green, Notre Dame

You have got to be joking.

I understand the concept of you can only beat who you play, but they weren't even RANKED until week 3.

Not like they were preseason #12 and crept up the ladder as top 10 teams lost.

46zilzal
10-15-2007, 02:43 PM
Hey, I think my UCB Golden Bears were tops for about 30 minutes.
One bear fan to another, your Golden Bears might have a real good chance should they get by the Up Shit Creek Trojans given the number of catastrophes this season in football.

skate
10-18-2007, 07:20 PM
I must have been asleep for the past 6 weeks. I just noticed today that Boston College is ranked #4 in the country and South Florida is ranked #5 in the country?

WHat is going on??

not following much anymore (too old, i guess), but yah, dont ever blink.

i think Temple won a football game this year...:eek:

skate
10-18-2007, 07:25 PM
One bear fan to another, your Golden Bears might have a real good chance should they get by the Up Shit Creek Trojans given the number of catastrophes this season in football.

i cant help it (how am i doing so far?), but Catastrophes ( as in disaster) might not be very good English in this case.

i mean tough loss, too bad, woopsey, or even "it's- the - Rush- Mans -Fault" might apply, but ...disaster:(

harnesslover
10-19-2007, 08:58 AM

WHat is going on??

Ok, South Florida just realized they were, well, South Florida last night.. The ranking parade moves on..

DanG
10-19-2007, 09:13 AM
Ok, South Florida just realized they were, well, South Florida last night.. The ranking parade moves on..
Did you watch the game, or do you just spout off? :rolleyes:

My next lifetime I want to be your bookie… ;)

harnesslover
10-19-2007, 10:08 AM

You take things WAY too personally.

You are a South Florida fan or from florida or whatever, we get it. Move on.

harnesslover
10-19-2007, 10:09 AM

And yes I watched the game.. And being my bookie would lead a boring life, as I don't bet football of any sort.

DanG
10-19-2007, 10:19 AM
And yes I watched the game.. And being my bookie would lead a boring life, as I don't bet football of any sort.
Bookies across the world are sorry to hear that….:(

Moving on indeed…sound advice. :ThmbUp:

harnesslover
10-19-2007, 10:25 AM
Bookies across the world are sorry to hear that….:(

Moving on indeed…sound advice. :ThmbUp:

So because I feel that South Florida was ranked way too high at #2 in the country, that means I would lose if I wagered football.

Well not that makes total sense. Boy was I way off..

Suff
10-19-2007, 10:39 AM
BC Eagles are having a great year. SFU's loss helps but we are in a BYE week this week so if LSU beats Auburn, and Cal Wins, we may not jump from #3 to #2 without a win.

A week from yesterday we play VA Tech. BIG GAME. Then if we get by Clemson we have a shot at National Championship.

Between the eagles, The patriots and the red sox.......Its TITLE TOWN all over again in Boston! Even the Bruins won their opener last night!

:ThmbUp:

harnesslover
10-19-2007, 10:48 AM
BC Eagles are having a great year. SFU's loss helps but we are in a BYE week this week so if LSU beats Auburn, and Cal Wins, we may not jump from #3 to #2 without a win.

A week from yesterday we play VA Tech. BIG GAME. Then if we get by Clemson we have a shot at National Championship.

Between the eagles, The patriots and the red sox.......Its TITLE TOWN all over again in Boston! Even the Bruins won their opener last night!

And not that I give a flying crap about the NBA, don't forget about the Celtics and Garnett.. THey look stacked.

betchatoo
10-19-2007, 05:19 PM

Dan:

I did bet Rutgers yesterday. I bet them because I felt that South Florida had never been in as big a spotlight before and they might have trouble handling it. I feel that's how the game came out. While South Florida looked like the superior team, they made mistakes at key moments. Their quarterback who is unusually mobile just stood there like Rex Grossman and took 2 key sacks near games end. I think if South Florida had been ranked 12th coming into the game the result would have been different.

Hosshead
10-19-2007, 07:25 PM
South Florida committed some huge key penalties.
And how about that fake field goal that Rutgers turned into a touchdown pass !!

skate
10-20-2007, 01:10 PM

ha, BC, fan. that explains EVERYTHING:kiss:

harnesslover
11-04-2007, 02:23 PM

Dan, did the 31 point first quarter Cincy dropped on them wake them up? :-)

Sailwolf
11-10-2007, 08:00 PM
Cal lost as well.

OHIO STATE LOST TODAY :lol:

GaryG
11-11-2007, 08:53 AM
Golden Bears might have a real good chance should they get by the Up Shit Creek Trojans Only in your wet dreams zilly.....<Conquest playing in the background>

Marshall Bennett
11-11-2007, 03:52 PM
Seems strange that North Texas ( although they lost ) scored 62 pts. against the same Navy team that whipped Notre Dame last weekend ! When will the bleeding end ? Air Force jumped on the carnage yesterday as well !!

harnesslover
11-11-2007, 04:10 PM
Seems strange that North Texas ( although they lost ) scored 62 pts. against the same Navy team that whipped Notre Dame last weekend ! When will the bleeding end ? Air Force jumped on the carnage yesterday as well !!

Thank god Duke is on the schedule.

JustRalph
11-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Cal lost as well.

Oops.........guess not..............!

GaryG
11-17-2007, 05:44 PM
Maybe the Bucks and Trojans in the Rose Bowl....looks like a possibility.

Bubbles
11-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Oops.........guess not..............!Michigan didn't deserve to win this game. They played the wrong guy at quarterback for all but one series, and it showed. They also couldn't stop the OSU tailback with a brick wall. Congrats to the Bucks on a good win.