PDA

View Full Version : Ex-General Sanchez weighs in

Secretariat
10-13-2007, 11:32 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071013/ap_on_re_mi_ea/sanchez_iraq

Ex-general: 'No end in sight' in Iraq

ARLINGTON, Va. - The U.S. mission in Iraq is a "nightmare with no end in sight" because of political misjudgments after the fall of Saddam Hussein that continue today, a former chief of U.S.-led forces said Friday.

"When asked when he saw that the mission was going awry, he responded: "About the 15th of June 2003" — the day he took command.

"There is nothing going on today in Washington that would give us hope" that things are going to change, he said."

Tom
10-13-2007, 11:41 AM
One man's opinion, Sec.
Is it your plan to post every one who disagrees with the war?

I prefer the opinions of people on the scene, in charge, but thanks for the vital information about one man's opinion. Did you get what his favotirte color was? that would be informative as well.

Secretariat
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
One man's opinion, Sec.
Is it your plan to post every one who disagrees with the war?

I prefer the opinions of people on the scene, in charge, but thanks for the vital information about one man's opinion. Did you get what his favotirte color was? that would be informative as well.

Uh, Tom. This man was on the scene. In charge of the US troops. appointed by GW's man, Rumsfeld to assess the situation. And by the way, there have been many generals who have spoke out against this disaster so it is not one man's opnion, but the opinion of many in the military especially those who can speak freely without retribution. Appears you prefer those military heavyweights like Rush Limbaugh to guys who actually served like Sanchez or Shinseki or Clark or Batiste.

Tom
10-13-2007, 12:00 PM
"was on the scene."
And the color is......?

hcap
10-13-2007, 02:59 PM
Hey Tom, you're the one bottom on the right?

http://www.aspencountry.com/aspen/assets/product_images/product_lib/34000-34999/34513.jpg

JustRalph
10-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I actually liked this guy when he was in charge. But, as you will notice many of these guys were swept out and took the blame for some stuff that occurred on their watches.

let me tell you something about General's

You may well notice that you rarely see a 4 star complaining............

These guys live for the 4th star. Once they get the 3rd..............anything less than 4 makes them a failure...........and they get real bitter.........

They also have to be nominated by you know who.......via the Sec. of Defense...........so who do you think they blame?

Tom
10-13-2007, 05:40 PM
When does his book come out?

Snag
10-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Sec, while you are pounding your chest, answer me this - Why do these guys wait till after they leave to point fingers?

Tom
10-13-2007, 08:05 PM
Isn't it a bit disturbing that the only way generals get any respect from the left is to start talking failure and defeat?

Sad that Americans are so in love with failure that they have to try to ensure it.

Secretariat
10-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Sec, while you are pounding your chest, answer me this -
Why do these guys wait till after they leave to point fingers?

Shinseki didn't wait till he left, and paid the price. I'm sure both Sanchez and Powell made their points behind closed doors while in the service or the administration. Like good soldiers they kept their mouths shit, until their conscience got the better of them when they were out and faced no retribution.

Bottom line is Sanchez's comments. And tom, No book apparently. Just his disgust with the admisntration's incompetence.

riskman
10-14-2007, 12:11 AM
Well lets talk about Petraeus, he is on the scene. Like a true spin master in his recent appearance before congress he was trying his best to put a gown of optimism on the pig he brought to the dance. Like the bureaucrat he is (despite a chest full of ribbons, Petraeus has seen very little combat), he had his little charts and graphs purporting to show sectarian attacks and civilian deaths are down.

Whether his numbers are correct or not – and they differ from the numbers of several independent organizations – is beside the point. President George Bush pre-defined success of the surge. The purpose of the surge, the president said, is to buy time and space for the Iraqi government to reach agreement on reconciliation.

Did it? Not yet--- maybe never will.

One congresswoman nailed him good. She read a report Petraeus had written after his earlier tour of training the Iraqi army three years ago. Oh, he spread good cheer. Everything was going great.. Unfortunately for the general, he used almost the same words three years ago that he used in his recent testimony. None of the promises and predictions he made three years ago came to pass.

Turns out the politician-general had, just before the last presidential election, written those words in an op-ed piece for the Washington Post that painted the war in Iraq in glowing and optimistic colors. I may be wrong, but I know of no other general on active duty who wrote an op-ed piece so carefully timed to influence the outcome of a presidential campaign.

Snag
10-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Shinseki didn't wait till he left, and paid the price. I'm sure both Sanchez and Powell made their points behind closed doors while in the service or the administration. Like good soldiers they kept their mouths shit, until their conscience got the better of them when they were out and faced no retribution.

Could this have been a Freudian slip of the finger that shows your true feelings?

46zilzal
10-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Isn't it a bit disturbing that the only way generals get any respect from the left is to start talking failure and defeat?

Well they are RIGHT THERE, observing it first hand with years of experience to call upon. Quagmire is just that, a quagmire.

46zilzal
10-14-2007, 01:21 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/10/14/iraq.main/index.html

The last throe of the insurgency? I rather doubt it. What say you DICK?