PDA

View Full Version : Mr. October

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 11:14 AM
In life, we see what we want to see. As handicappers we know exactly where to pick facts from to make our arguments right.

All this A rod (A Roid, how witty) talk gets me thinking about "Mr. October". You might remember a guy named Reggie Jackson had that name.

What you might not realize is that Mr. October has a lifetime average of 278 in the post season. Yes that begins with a TWO! not a 3, not a 4!

In the 1977 ALCS against KC he hit 125 and was benched. Had the Yanks not had a great supporting cast that year, would we have seen him hit 450 in his legendary series?

Now how did he do with California (the Angels use to have a state)? Well in 1982 he hit 111. TWO for EIGHTEEN! And they did not get to the World Series for him to improve on that!

In 1986 he hit 192! And once again they did not advance. Most here will remember a team from Bean town advancing that year.

Mr. October had a lifetime average of 227. YES TWO 27 in the League Championship series.

BIG players come up BIG when needed, hmmmm perhaps he won't be cast as Mr. Big!

Had his teams not made it to the Series he could not have compiled his 357 average and won four rings.

I would have loved to see this board in 1973 when he was a brutal 3 for 21 or in 1974 when he was an awful 2 for 12 for Oakland. But, his team got to the World Series without him both those years!

Mr. Roid has not had a team that made it, even when he was hitting 409 against the Yankees with Seattle.

His Post Season average is 279, actually one point HIGHER than Mr. October!

Downgrade him for not playing in the Series, just like many criticized John Elway for not winning the Super Bowl. Yeah, he was the comeback king, but couldn't win the big one. Well that was until his team also stepped up to play as big as him!

A rod is all of 32 and hs time will come. He will have a great World Series and get a ring. He needs to be on a team where the "ace" does not have a postseason ERA of 19. a star shortstop hitting 150, a guy on the bench making 20 million to strike out, and a bullpen with all of TWO pitchers who can be trusted to hold a lead.

Take away the bugs in Cleveland and push Posada's home run ball a foot or two into fair territory and the posts about Arod may have wound up a little differenent.

Remember, if Jeter is on, his home run cuts the lead to two and if Matsui could get a hit, Posada's bomb would have tied it.

But, I don't see any threads on Jeter or Matsui making outs with the season on the line.

DanG
10-11-2007, 11:23 AM
Jim,

We have to agree to disagree here…As far as Jeter and Matsui, both where hurt in all fairness.

Put a gun to Torre’s head and I’ll bet my last nickel that he picks both those players before A-Rod in crunch time.

Having said that…A-Rod is getting ridiculous criticism obviously. It just sparks an interesting debate on how to measure athletes. Some call him the greatest ever…I happen to question him when the clock is running down and he needs that jump shot to win it.

Great stuff these debates… :ThmbUp:

BTW-1: I was never a fan of “Mr. October” so I have to remove myself from any Reggie discussions for fear of extreme prejudice! :)
BTW-2: So this doesn’t come off as pure A-Rod bashing…

When I lived on the ‘left coast I got to see many Padre games. Tony Gwynn (IMHO) falls into the category of a tremendous stat-sheet stuffer and someone who failed often with money on the table.

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:02 PM
It wouldn't be a debate if opposite opinions did not exist.

In Arod's case, when he stepped to the plate in the 9th inning he was in a LOSE/LOSE position due to his teammates. If he hits a home run and his team fails, it is called a nothing home run.

If he strikes out, he sucks under pressure.

He really showed me something this year. He took all of the criticism and went out and had an MVP year, hit his 500th home run (at 32), and helped his team come back from the dead.

Imagine his year if the Yanks do not make the playoffs? OH BOY! I can just hear it now!

The good news for him is that the only teams that can afford him (Mets, Sox, Angels, Yanks) should be back in the playoffs next year.

If he goes another 10 years and doesn't have a ring we can revisit this discussion.

It would be very similar to if Schilling had never left the Phils. I still think at 40, he is the guy I want pitching game 7 of the series!

Jim

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 12:13 PM
How many world series rings does Reggie have? How about Rodriguez?

I cannot remember

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 12:18 PM
A rod is all of 32 and hs time will come. He will have a great World Series and get a ring. He needs to be on a team where the "ace" does not have a postseason ERA of 19. a star shortstop hitting 150, a guy on the bench making 20 million to strike out, and a bullpen with all of TWO pitchers who can be trusted to hold a lead.

But, I don't see any threads on Jeter or Matsui making outs with the season on the line.
You know, you had VERY little credibility prior to this post, but you really reached new heights of cluelessness.

I am one of the bigger Yankee haters around, but how can you possibly even mention Jeter int eh same conversation as Aroid AND go as far as to question why there are no threads on Jeter making outs?

Jeter has how many rings? And has been probably one of the all-time most clutch post season players ever for how many years?

Do you just glance over hte 2005 and 2006 post season where he hit .133 and .071?? Wait, I suppose that was Wang, Jetter and Matsui's fault too.

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:25 PM
I am one of the bigger Yankee haters around

Naaahhh!! Really? :lol:

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 12:27 PM
Naaahhh!! Really? :lol:

Yeah, and the sad part is even I can appreciate how great Jeter has been in the postseason. A shame you are clueless.

I know, I know, just respond with your cute little insults and not to the issue at hand. We've come to expect it.

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:27 PM
How many world series rings does Reggie have? How about Rodriguez?

I cannot remember

Well if you had read my post you would have found the answers, but since you are a Harness guy and used to things being FIXED for you, I will re-quote them below.

Reggie has FOUR!

Had his teams not made it to the Series he could not have compiled his 357 average and won four rings.

Arod (as of this writing) has NEVER even played in a World Series.

Downgrade him for not playing in the Series

As for YOUR credibility, I would rate it somewhere below Eric and Seldon Ledford. :lol:

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:29 PM
even I can appreciate how great Jeter has been in the postseason.

Jeter was HUGE last year! He hit 500! I am glad you can appreciate it, maybe there is hope for you yet! :jump:

DanG
10-11-2007, 12:32 PM
I know, I know, just respond with your cute little insults and not to the issue at hand. We've come to expect it.
You mean like this one? ;)
harnesslover ~ You know, you had VERY little credibility prior to this post, but you really reached new heights of cluelessness.
http://dailyconnect.in/wp-content/uploads/2007/07/jamster-simpsons-homer.jpg

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Dan,

I am hoping Harness Lover has a sister that looks like Pamela Anderson. Then when he stalks me maybe I can meet her driving his 13 year old pimply face around. :jump:

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 12:35 PM
Jeter was HUGE last year! He hit 500! I am glad you can appreciate it, maybe there is hope for you yet! :jump:

So if Jeter has been great AND has multiple rings, how ridiculous is this comment:

"But, I don't see any threads on Jeter or Matsui making outs with the season on the line"

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Dan,

I am hoping Harness Lover has a sister that looks like Pamela Anderson. Then when he stalks me maybe I can meet her driving his 13 year old pimply face around. :jump:

Ahh, there it was, right on cue.

You're consistent, I will give you that. Never can rebutt anything, but insults are always in the holster.

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:37 PM
So if Jeter has been great AND has multiple rings, how ridiculous is this comment:

"But, I don't see any threads on Jeter or Matsui making outs with the season on the line"

Not very ridiculous at all, just like you ignored when Arod hit 400 with Seattle.

Jeter is the golden child, but in 2001 he tanked and cost them the Series. 118 in the championship, 148 in the series.

He was gold before then, and hopefully will be next year and the years to come!

Especially for you, I think you actually LOVE the Yanks! :ThmbUp:

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:39 PM
Ahh, there it was, right on cue.

You're consistent, I will give you that. Never can rebutt anything, but insults are always in the holster.

You are consistent as well, NEVER reading any response! Just looking at the pictures! :sleeping:

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:40 PM
And for those wasting their time reading this. I started this thread rather than make comments in the other one, since I knew Harness Stalker needed some attention.

Keep posting my friend, you love the Yanks and are ready to come out of the closet soon! :jump:

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 12:46 PM
And for those wasting their time reading this. I started this thread rather than make comments in the other one, since I knew Harness Stalker needed some attention.

Keep posting my friend, you love the Yanks and are ready to come out of the closet soon! :jump:

Just keep working on those excuses of why A-roid shits himself in the post season, we all enjoy the unintentional comedy.

$40 million this year for Clemens and A-roid.. now that is comical

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Just keep working on those excuses of why A-roid shits himself in the post season

You STILL are NOT reading. I will have to FIX this stuff for you. Do you have any EPO handy?

Reggie Jackson post season average 278

Arod post season average 279

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 01:05 PM
You STILL are NOT reading. I will have to FIX this stuff for you. Do you have any EPO handy?

Reggie Jackson post season average 278

Arod post season average 279

That's great, I am proud you found the bold button, kudos.

If you want to do a fair comparison (and I know you won't cause it makes you look foolish again) of their post season careers as a yankee, why not do it to compare:

A-roid - 94 at bats, .244 average, 4 homers, 9 rbi
Reggie - 163 at bats, .282 average, 13 homers, 31 rbi

No to prorate A-roids #'s to 163 at bats it would be:

A-roid - 163 at bats, .244 average, 7 homers, 15 rbi

Yes, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see why one was Mr October and one is Mr April - September

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 01:21 PM
That's great, I am proud you found the bold button, kudos.

If you want to do a fair comparison (and I know you won't cause it makes you look foolish again) of their post season careers as a yankee, why not do it to compare:

A-roid - 94 at bats, .244 average, 4 homers, 9 rbi

No to prorate A-roids #'s to 163 at bats it would be:

A-roid - 163 at bats, .244 average, 7 homers, 15 rbi

Yes, it is IMPOSSIBLE to see why one was Mr October and one is Mr April - September

I guess we will have to PRO-RATE Stephew Drew then and crown him KING of ALL POST SEASON BASEBALL!

Actual - 14 at bats, 500 average, 2 homers, 4 rbi
Pro-rate to 140 at bats to give Reggie a chance
140 at bats, 500 average, 20 home runs, 40 rbi!

The post season is a short sample and pro rating it is just stupid! :bang:

Even a lifetime 328 hitter like Wade Boggs could not hit 300 in the post season!

Ok, my fun is over, you are back on ignore, ENJOY! :ThmbUp:

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 01:25 PM
I guess we will have to PRO-RATE Stephew Drew then and crown him KING of ALL POST SEASON BASEBALL!

Actual - 14 at bats, 500 average, 2 homers, 4 rbi
Pro-rate to 140 at bats to give Reggie a chance
140 at bats, 500 average, 20 home runs, 40 rbi!

The post season is a short sample and pro rating it is just stupid! :bang:

Even a lifetime 328 hitter like Wade Boggs could not hit 300 in the post season!

Ok, my fun is over, you are back on ignore, ENJOY! :ThmbUp:

LOL, I figured you would redirect this to the point of diversion since you were schooled again on the facts.

It's almost too easy my boy..