PDA

View Full Version : for Purple Power

smf
01-05-2003, 03:11 AM
This thread may be of interest to you (and Bork). That music isn't getting rave reviews out west, either <g>.

http://www.dmtc.com/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=46843&t=46843

It's the Del Mar forum, so Sammy may not be a hot topic there but I thought you may be interested.

p.s..Just so I'm not coming off promoting another board with this post, and to continue on a topic discussed here months ago, I was a lil disappointed in the fact no changes have been made on the camera work when I looked at Hou's races last Saturday. However, I think do understand why no changes were made.

Also, are the camera crew/ production members at Hou the same as the RET, LS crews? Thanks.

PurplePower
01-05-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by smf
This thread may be of interest to you (and Bork)........
..........., I was a lil disappointed in the fact no changes have been made on the camera work when I looked at Hou's races last Saturday. However, I think do understand why no changes were made. Also, are the camera crew/ production members at Hou the same as the RET, LS crews? Thanks. Thanks for sending that info. Mr. Bork is on vacation (has been since before Christmas) and no one at SHRP will make a decision without checking with him first. He likes having music between races, but does listen to players. He does not like for our prize drawings and other "local" stuff going out to "simulcast land" so we might be able to turn off the music feed from our outbound signal. Some of the stuff we had playing last night, particularly the "electric" song that started as I was going into the paddock to do paddock preview for the Sprint Handicap sounded like two cats having sex on a chalk board. You guys can at least turn down the volumn on your Sound Blaster, I get to grimace and bear it.
Most of our TV crew stays at Sam the year round. A couple of the camera men may go to Retama as I think they use the same company we use. I am not sure about Lone Star but would expect they have their own in house TV department. (Ours is contracted.) We have a good TV director and he has been willing to make changes when I have suggested them. What is your concern with the camera work?
Now to make some copies of previous posts here to post on that "other" board. :eek:

smf
01-05-2003, 09:49 PM
[i]What is your concern with the camera work?
[/B]

We went over this 2 months back..Guess it wasn't that important, LOL.

-move the graphics so that we can see the horses legs during the parade...the view is obstructed, can't see if there are stops or blowout patches, etc..

-show more shots of the horses....showing the grandstand after the parade doesn't do much for a player...need to see more horses.

Watching the Texas track's signals is like watching a football game where only the plays are shown. No shots of the coaches, huddles, coaching booths, etc...IOW, we only get a quick glimpse of the horses before the race. Every race is this way.

I'll cut it short and spare you the lengthy post I made to your thread 2 months back.

...Long and the short of it is, the night tracks don't have the attention of many serious players (who are more demanding of tracks to provide what they want), therefore, perhaps, is why the coverage of horses & production isn't on par with the major tracks. The day time hours patronage of the simo at LS is far different from the "night shift" there. The night boys there know speed figs and little else. The folks there during the day are a lil different, definitely more sophisticated (if you can describe a horesplayer in such a way, lol).

Zaf
01-05-2003, 10:05 PM
The music doesn't bother me. Keep bringing those FULL fields and prices (like $22.00) on Spider Dan last night !!!!

It would be nice to see more of the horses though.

ZAFONIC

ranchwest
01-05-2003, 10:12 PM
Does anyone like the view from inside the gate? Personally, I'd rather see the horses as they load. If there's a problem in the gate, then maybe switch to the gate view, but otherwise show the horses behind the gate. I can't tell a whole lot from the gate view, even when there is something happening in there.

smf
01-05-2003, 10:17 PM
zarfonic,

Glad you play Houston, but here's something to consider; No Cal provides, along with the best shots of horses for any circuit, detailed shoe info on their simulcasts. One race was won by the only horse that ran with caulks (only 2 of the others had nails). I think there were 9-10 horses in the field.

That winner (only one with caulks) paid $52.

And they didn't play any music, hehe.....It's a very good example of a track giving fans what they ask for/ want. Fairgrounds does this with Pam Fitzgerald (paddock hostess, who is an asst trainer).

And, so as not be mistaken for a redboarder, I didn't bet the race, but my jaw dropped when I saw the prices put up for that race.

Why is it that the Cal tracks are so far ahead of everyone else in the area of info for players and the detailed shots of horses? My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the fans there are far more sophisticated or demanding that the info be given.

smf
01-05-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by ranchwest
Does anyone like the view from inside the gate? Personally, I'd rather see the horses as they load. If there's a problem in the gate, then maybe switch to the gate view, but otherwise show the horses behind the gate. I can't tell a whole lot from the gate view, even when there is something happening in there.

Excellent point, RW. I keep a log of 3yo turfers that refuse to load. Those guys rarely win even when they go back to dirt. That angle that Sam shows gives me NO idea of what horse is reluctant.

I don't want this to come across as negative, Reid. Not meant that way at all, but wish we (all TX tracks) had the same quality feed here as GG, BM, HOL, SA or Hastings. Those are excellent feeds for those of us that don't live in areas that have year round racing. Makes it a lot easier to bet with confidence, that's for sure.

keilan
01-05-2003, 10:43 PM
I have been playing Aqu like many others on this board the past few weeks and the thing that strikes me the most is the delayed fashion they get information out to the player. example - scratches are not posted until 1 hour before the 1st race. For a major track I find this unacceptable as I and many others don't handicap on the fly.

Today a favourite was scratched out of the 8th race but the audio feed I receive over the internet didn't inform me until just after the 1st leg of the p4 had been run. Obviously late scratches take place but I would be curious of the particulars of this one. If they were negligent in making the announcement late, management should correct the situation.

Is there another business anywhere that can treat their customers so poorly and keep the doors open for more than 6 months??? Service should be their trademark.

Zaf
01-05-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by smf
zarfonic,

Glad you play Houston, but here's something to consider; No Cal provides, along with the best shots of horses for any circuit, detailed shoe info on their simulcasts. One race was won by the only horse that ran with caulks (only 2 of the others had nails). I think there were 9-10 horses in the field.

That winner (only one with caulks) paid $52.

And they didn't play any music, hehe.....It's a very good example of a track giving fans what they ask for/ want. Fairgrounds does this with Pam Fitzgerald (paddock hostess, who is an asst trainer).

And, so as not be mistaken for a redboarder, I didn't bet the race, but my jaw dropped when I saw the prices put up for that race, hehe.

Why is it that the Cal tracks are so far ahead of everyone else in the area of info for players and the detailed shots of horses? My guess (and it's only a guess) is that the fans there are far more sophisticated or demanding that the info be given.

Thats a very good point SMF. I guess I like to just bury my head in the form and bet. I realize other tracks give much more info. I noticed Mountaineer does an excellent job on giving the bettor information. I was impressed with the two hosts on their simulcast feed. I do not bet MNR because I have yet to figure it out. Maybe I don't understand their class structure or something.

I do not like california racing due to short fields. I do agree with you that the HOU feed could be enhanced. I am just biased I guess , I love the racing product, it may be a little on the cheap side, but I find value and lucrative betting opportunies more often.

ZAFONIC

Zaf
01-05-2003, 10:49 PM
Originally posted by keilan

Is there another business anywhere that can treat their customers so poorly and keep the doors open for more than 6 months??? Service should be their trademark.

Unfortunately in this business most customers will come back regardless of how crappy they are treated. History just keeps repeating itself.

ZAFONIC

PurplePower
01-06-2003, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by smf
We went over this 2 months back..Guess it wasn't that important, LOL.

-move the graphics so that we can see the horses legs during the parade...the view is obstructed, can't see if there are stops or blowout patches, etc..

-show more shots of the horses....showing the grandstand after the parade doesn't do much for a player...need to see more horses.

Ok, I spent some time coming up with the right key words and found your original post. Fully intended to reply and let myself get busy with Great State challenge and didn't get back. I agree with you on the graphics in post parade and this was discussed at a TV meeting before our meet started. Basically, our TV graphics are "fixed" by a computer program (ARRRRRGGGGH!!!) and are not easy to change. Our TV director is very willing to help out (he started showing the headon and pan of break simultaneously as result of my bringing some emails to that affect to his attention). I also asked them to start on the first horse soon enough so that we get to see all 12 from side view and not have to look at the lead pony for 11 and 12. We do a decent job of that. Mr. Bork is determined that we pan the paddock while horses are being saddled and except for occasional winners' circle interviews and prize drawings we get that job done. I thought we had agreed at that meeting that none of our winners' circle prize drawings or any of the "bouncy ball races" between races would go to "simulcast land". We do break away immediately after post parade (I'll watch more closely this week and see what of "grandstand" we are showing.), and I don't know how long that is. After that we show horses warming up. I have asked TV not to get on one horse and stay (I showed them one where the same horse was on the screen for 2 minutes and 40 seconds) and I think I'll remind them again. In your earlier post you also asked about having a shot of the horses walking up prior to the race. Ours walk in front of the building and around the grandstand and are not in camera view except when they actually get into the paddock. Time between races is so short at SHRP that by the time the replay is over the horses are usually saddled. Now, don't ask us to cut out the replay, because I know three players that will take my hat and stomp on it if we don't show both the pan and head on replays. I'll definitely bring this up in our next TV meeting after doing some "timing" this coming weekend.

Watching the Texas track's signals is like watching a football game where only the plays are shown. No shots of the coaches, huddles, coaching booths, etc...IOW, we only get a quick glimpse of the horses before the race. Every race is this way.

I'll cut it short and spare you the lengthy post I made to your thread 2 months back.

...Long and the short of it is, the night tracks don't have the attention of many serious players (who are more demanding of tracks to provide what they want), therefore, perhaps, is why the coverage of horses & production isn't on par with the major tracks. The day time hours patronage of the simo at LS is far different from the "night shift" there. The night boys there know speed figs and little else. The folks there during the day are a lil different, definitely more sophisticated (if you can describe a horesplayer in such a way, lol). Now this inspires further comment, but I promised my GF I'd watch MIB II with her tonight since we both happen to be off tomorrow. When she decides to do some of her computer work tomorrow, I'll re-dress some of the differences between day and night players.
:cool:

PurplePower
01-06-2003, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by ranchwest
Does anyone like the view from inside the gate? Personally, I'd rather see the horses as they load. If there's a problem in the gate, then maybe switch to the gate view, but otherwise show the horses behind the gate. I can't tell a whole lot from the gate view, even when there is something happening in there. I'd like to know this answer too. I'm not a big fan of the "gate cam" either, except to occasionally show a "close up" of a view that fans don't get to see often.

PurplePower
01-06-2003, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by smf
.....It's a very good example of a track giving fans what they ask for/ want. Fairgrounds does this with Pam Fitzgerald (paddock hostess, who is an asst trainer)......
At the risk of stirring up SMF and some other FG regulars (and I am a Louisiana native that loves FG, gumbo and zydeco) I do not have the same adoration for Pam. Occasionally she will say something about a horse looking good in the paddock (i.ei. Green Fee who was unplaced in Col. Bradley today) but basically just repeats information that is in the form. Perhaps if I watched every race I would hear and see information that would sway me over to the Pam Fitzgerald fan club.
Mr. Bork says that the simulcast players don't want to hear "paddock previews" and ours were discontinued two years (or was it three) ago except for stakes races. (OOPS -- just got "the look" -- definitely going to watch that movie now.)

smf
01-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Reid,

Yep, definitely "stirred me up", <g>.

Pam's job doesn't entail "giving out winners" as you know. She's there to give out info on how runners look, physically. Since she's employed as a horsewoman you won't hear "Boy, look at that favorite. Has blow out patches on those legs and linament all over that shoulder. Stay off that pig! He's in here only b/c the owner is too dumb to drop him to a competitive level."

You may hear, "he may need a race", or hear nothing at all. When she doesn't mention a horse in her 3 reviews (she only talks of 3 horses per race), I know something's not right w/ that runner (in her eyes).

Little Al will lose any potential bidness from the owner of "that pig" if she talked like that. So will she, if she decides to go into business for herself.

In early December she did say that a Romero -Cook runner in the nitecap "looked very sharp and ready" and was the first runner she mentioned. That winner paid over $50. Wasn't the only long price she called out by any means. She's given a green lite to a lot of high priced winners with bad paper (form)....but that ain't her job.

Also, since that Chinese Double thread came up, I started to see if there was any validity to it for FG races (no). The hardest 'bet down' Saturday was Cielo's Garden which happened to be my "paper pick". Pam started out with the eventual winner, Werner's horse, and in all honesty I can say she talked me off a losing bet. Cielo's Garden finished out of the money, never put in the late run that the speed fig geeks expected.

She sees these runners in the mornings and has a good idea of their competitive ability. In fact, I think she put folks on the first 3 winners of the Saturday card.

If some speed/ pace geek sitting next to me calls out a horse (and this happens EVERY day I'm at LS, damn near), I ignore the total stranger. When Pam talks, I take note. I don't bet her picks but I listen to her for info on physicality & reports on morning works and such.

Looking foreward to your comments on night players vs day players. Also, I'll take into consideration as to who represents Hou's clientele <G>.

Thanks for the bent ear. Appreciate your listening. Reid, if you buy Sammy from Bork, and LS from Frank, the problems get solved.

JustRalph
01-06-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by zafonic
I noticed Mountaineer does an excellent job on giving the bettor information. I was impressed with the two hosts on their simulcast feed. I do not bet MNR because I have yet to figure it out. Maybe I don't understand their class structure or something.

ZAFONIC

First of All, half the trainers at MTR don't understand the class structure there. In my opine it changes daily depending on who shipped thru the gate today.

Reid:
That damn camera shot thru the gate is nifty, unique and all, but doesn't do a damn thing for the handicapper. The music is a distraction. I like Hollywood parks reminder of one minute to post. Its a loud doorbell sound that radiates through the whole place. When I have TVG on and they are covering Hollywood park I can hear that thing all over my house. Now if I could just get the dogs to stop running downstairs and barking at the front door it would be perfect. You get the drift. Come up with something like that. You could always let the guy who runs your web site take over the TV stuff. He does a real fine job on putting out pertinent info. :cool: Jockey Changes have slowed to a crawl and I appreciate that. Oh yeah, If you see Cathleen Garner, tell her we are engaged! After she did to me what she did to me on that longshot in the Turf sprint the other night I am down a bunch of money and she owes me at least a kiss. I always get kissed before I get screwed! She reminded me of my first wife. Out a bunch of money etc...etc.....

Zaf
01-09-2003, 09:38 PM
Great Selection on the music tonight.

Only Women Bleed by Alice Cooper

More Alice Cooper Plaese

ZAFONIC

Zaf
01-09-2003, 09:52 PM
And now we get Emerson, Lake & Palmer

I like this guy picking the music.

Way to go Dirtdobler !! Pulled me out of an 0-4 rut.

ZAFONIC

PurplePower
01-10-2003, 12:54 AM
Audio may have at least been given instruction to turn down our volumn. I didn't hear the music in my room at all. Boris, what was music like on the second floor? And, how was the Prime Rib?

Boris
01-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Can't say I noticed the music at all so it must have been low. Couldn't tell you one song that played. I have some Alice Cooper 8 tracks somewhere if they need to expand the library.

Prime Rib was excellent. $8 for all you can eat is a steal. I guess they can't afford the usual fine array of desserts at that price, but no complaints from our crew. And thanks for the extra coupon for our "extras". Turns out one was a "first timer" that just happened to grow up 3 doors down the street from me. Funny part was he walked up with this "purple sheet" in his hand saying "it was only a dollar". ;)

Zaf
01-10-2003, 08:29 PM
It appears the music is gone, I'll have to crank my own music now.

ZAFONIC

PurplePower
01-11-2003, 01:01 AM
I do a "How to Play the Game" stage show on our theater seat stage from 6:30 until either just before or just after the third race (around 8 PM) During that time I have been successful at getting the music OFF since I am standing right under two "horns". When the taped bugle music blasts my red blood cells think they have been called to post. Usually that show is on Saturday, but we had a special Friday promotion this week and my show was part of the "promise". Started with 27 in the 1000 seat area and when I left just after the third there were about 250. Music was back on in the building after the fourth race I think. Now tomorrow night it's ELVIS night. If any of you guys don't like Elvis, keep the volumn down low.

Zaf
01-11-2003, 06:47 PM
Yes I noticed the music returned. I guess I'm in the minority , I really like it. It helped keep my Spirits up last night. After tabbing Ryan's Special in the opener, I proceded to not cash a ticket the rest of the night. Hope to rebound with a better night tonight.

Elvis Night, Great I will have the volume up high tonight.

I will be looking into these horses tonight:

Hou 1 Irish Milligan
Hou 2 Hawaiian Attitude
Hou 3 Elegant Ambush
Hou 5 Lil General
Hou 7 Miss Trapp
Hou 8 Coastalota
Hou 9 Mambolero

Everyone have a great night.

ZAFONIC