PDA

View Full Version : Breeders' Cup Saddlecloth Poll

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2007, 01:39 AM
As timely a poll as ever.....

samyn on the green
10-10-2007, 02:06 AM
If the announcer is Tom Durkin, then I like the classic all purple saddle cloths. This professional does the homework necessary to remember silks.

However is the announcer is Denman he needs as much help as he can get and requires color coded saddle cloths. Can this guy act like a professional this year and do his homework?

jballscalls
10-10-2007, 02:44 AM
If the announcer is Tom Durkin, then I like the classic all purple saddle cloths. This professional does the homework necessary to remember silks.

However is the announcer is Denman he needs as much help as he can get and requires color coded saddle cloths. Can this guy act like a professional this year and do his homework?

either way colored coded saddle cloths, tradition smarition

rrbauer
10-10-2007, 10:41 AM
I like to be able to follow my selection(s) around the course and actually see where they are positioned. The color-coded saddle cloths help with that identification.

Tom
10-10-2007, 11:28 AM
What other industry but racing would still be debating this rather simple issue?

If racing ran restaurants, they would debating menus or no menus?

God what dummies!

SMOO
10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I like to be able to follow my selection(s) around the course and actually see where they are positioned. The color-coded saddle cloths help with that identification.

:ThmbUp:

46zilzal
10-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Saddle cloth colors are really for the caller and chartists. Our caller makes a note that in many jurisdictions, the saddle cloth color does not always match the color over the helmet which can cause problems during a sloppy contest.

He said it makes it easier when TWO has a white saddle cloth and a white cover on the helmet.

kenwoodallpromos
10-10-2007, 11:40 AM
What other industry but racing would still be debating this rather simple issue?

If racing ran restaurants, they would debating menus or no menus?

God what dummies!
The only one I know of in sports is the National league with their no-designated hitter designation!

gillenr
10-10-2007, 11:44 AM
If they had the BC at KEE or WO, would the chicklets all be purple?

46z, are you saying your jocks don't wear the owners silks on their caps?

ghostyapper
10-10-2007, 11:49 AM

Can this guy act like a professional this year and do his homework?

Hopefully this year he'll be able to actually see street sense on the track

46zilzal
10-10-2007, 11:52 AM
I
46z, are you saying your jocks don't wear the owners silks on their caps?
Yes, they wear the color of the saddle cloth i.e. if the horse is 6, the hat is black.

rastajenk
10-10-2007, 12:09 PM
Saddle cloth colors are really for the caller and chartists.When did they start to become standardized? Wasn't it at the dawn of the simulcast era?

Greyfox
10-10-2007, 12:22 PM
If you are in a Sports Bar where several sports are taking place including horse racing, it is sometimes not possible to hear the call of the race. In those circumstances it is very, very difficult to differentiate between runners when the saddle clothes are all similar.
Going to the coded color clothes seems like a no-brainer to me.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

46zilzal
10-10-2007, 12:24 PM
When did they start to become standardized? Wasn't it at the dawn of the simulcast era?
Probably as it was in the early 90's

SMOO
10-10-2007, 12:49 PM
If you are in a Sports Bar where several sports are taking place including horse racing, it is sometimes not possible to hear the call of the race. In those circumstances it is very, very difficult to differentiate between runners when the saddle clothes are all similar.
Going to the coded color clothes seems like a no-brainer to me.:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Yes, and it would help if they all went to the now semi-standard:

1-red
2-white
3-blue
4-yellow
5-green
6-black

rastajenk
10-10-2007, 12:55 PM
Even in a simulcast facility where there's nothing but racing, there may be two or more races going off at once, and you only hear the call of one of them. Lots of instances where color coded cloths and on-screen graphics can be very useful.

stuball
10-10-2007, 01:46 PM
A no brainer...(I sometimes wonder if I have one.)

Stuball :lol:

dylbert
10-11-2007, 12:26 AM
Saddlecloths help everyone identify horses in field. At OTB last year, it was near impossible to distinguish one horse from another -- save for blinkers, shadow rolls, or horse color. Probably would help Trevor make race call, too.

There was much discussion on this board and other boards after 2006 BC. As Yogi Berra once exclaimed, "you can look it up."

Overlay
10-11-2007, 05:51 AM
As Yogi Berra once exclaimed, "you can look it up."

That was one of the few things Yogi didn't say. It was Casey Stengel's line (as in, "Most people my age are dead, and you can look it up.").

Semipro
10-11-2007, 06:01 PM
single colored clothes are stupid pure and simple

toetoe
10-11-2007, 06:38 PM
How about HUGE numerals, a la Los Alamitos ?

lilmegahertz
10-11-2007, 07:18 PM
I totally agree that the clothes should not be all purple. I have been in many situations where you cannot hear any calls due to the surrounding yelling [I am one of the guilty cheerers :) ] so it helps me to identify not only my picks but the ooponents trying to make their move....

falconridge
10-11-2007, 07:56 PM
That was one of the few things Yogi didn't say.
As Lawrence Peter Berra put it, "I didn't say half the things I said."

riskman
10-11-2007, 11:47 PM
"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."

Yoggi Berra

Kelso
10-12-2007, 01:13 AM
"You give 100 percent in the first half of the game, and if that isn't enough in the second half you give what's left."
Yoggi Berra

Did Yogi get that from Hillary's tax proposals ... or vice-versa? :lol:

cj
10-12-2007, 01:53 AM
Can we get these results forwarded to the BC people, at least for next year?

SMOO
10-12-2007, 08:07 AM
single colored clothes are stupid pure and simple

Yes, who was the brainiac who came up with this? Are they TRYING to kill off this sport one little thing at a time?

cj's dad
10-12-2007, 08:32 AM
Follow the money trail. It must have something to do with advertising.

betovernetcapper
10-12-2007, 10:30 AM
If I were Czar of racing, I would not only make the current saddle cloths mandatory, I'd do away with the owners silks and have the rider of #1 wear a red jacket, #2 a white jacket-#3 a blue jacket.etc. I think spray painting the horse's mane the same color may be a little over the top, but maybe if someone comes up with a good organic dye.............

jballscalls
10-12-2007, 12:44 PM
Saddlecloths help everyone identify horses in field. At OTB last year, it was near impossible to distinguish one horse from another -- save for blinkers, shadow rolls, or horse color. Probably would help Trevor make race call, too.

There was much discussion on this board and other boards after 2006 BC. As Yogi Berra once exclaimed, "you can look it up."

Most callers i've ever met memorize by the jockeys colors and not by the saddle towel. so the color saddle towels wouldnt matter as far as the announcer, however, the people watching deserve to know where there horse is at all times, thats why i'm a proponent of the color saddled towels.

toetoe
10-12-2007, 02:17 PM
I just saw Emma Peel on YouTube, wearing the shortest skirt EVER ! You could look up it.

BIG RED
10-13-2007, 09:06 AM
A no brainer...(I sometimes wonder if I have one.)

Stuball :lol:

Agree......on both! :lol:

thespaah
10-17-2007, 11:29 PM
When did they start to become standardized? Wasn't it at the dawn of the simulcast era?
It was maybe 8 years ago or so. Some jurisdictions started it. and it just caught on. NYRA was a late joiner.. The colors have been standardized for about that long.
Ironically on the Harness side, the colors have been that same at every HTA member track for about 20 years.
Th e colors defintely help with identifying the horses. Trying to distingish between "blue, white chevrons on sleeves ,white cap with pompon" and "green, white sash, green cap from the grandstand isn't easy. The color coded saddle cloths are just the ticket. The other pain was when there were two horses of the same owner but seperate betting interests.
BC should get away from the all purple. IMHO

thespaah
10-17-2007, 11:33 PM
Yes, and it would help if they all went to the now semi-standard:

1-red
2-white
3-blue
4-yellow
5-green
6-black
7-orange
8 pink
9 turquoise
10 purple
11 grey
12 lime
13 brown
14 maroon
15 gold/khaki
16 lt blue/red numerals

thespaah
10-17-2007, 11:36 PM
my favorites....

"When you see a fork in the road, take it" he was giving directions to his house. which was on a loop road. So he was spot on..
The there was this gem.."i knew my record would stand until is was broke"...
This is what he said when asked about Johnny Bench breaking Berra's record for mosty home run hit by a catcher.
Funny guy..

thespaah
10-17-2007, 11:39 PM
If I were Czar of racing, I would not only make the current saddle cloths mandatory, I'd do away with the owners silks and have the rider of #1 wear a red jacket, #2 a white jacket-#3 a blue jacket.etc. I think spray painting the horse's mane the same color may be a little over the top, but maybe if someone comes up with a good organic dye.............
This is procedure at Moutaineer and Portland Meadows. I know this thanks to my addiction to TVG and HRTV

ponyplayerdotca
10-18-2007, 12:59 PM
That is correct.

The only race exception at MOUNTAINEER is the West Virginia Derby.

It's the one race annually where the jockeys wear the silks of the owner and not the regular color-coded ones.

jballscalls
10-21-2007, 12:13 PM
This is procedure at Moutaineer and Portland Meadows. I know this thanks to my addiction to TVG and HRTV

We dont do house silks at Portland Meadows. I think the last year they did house silks was 2002 or 2003. House silks are the nightmare of all announcers!!