PDA

View Full Version : Keeneland debuts .50 Cent Trifectas!

BombsAway Bob
10-09-2007, 05:06 PM
http://ww2.keeneland.com/images/header_logo.gif (http://ww2.keeneland.com/default.aspx)

Keeneland to Offer 50-Cent Trifecta Wager Beginning Wednesday, October 10
Keeneland will introduce a 50-cent Trifecta wager, beginning Wednesday, October 10.

The Trifecta is a wager in which you select the first three horses in the exact order of finish.

Keeneland also offers a 50-cent Pick 4 and a 10-cent Superfecta wager.

“Our 50-cent Pick 4 and dime Superfecta wagers have been so popular that we thought we’d expand it to Trifectas,” said Keeneland President Nick Nicholson. “These wagers are fun to play, and the price makes them affordable for everyone.”

gIracing
10-09-2007, 05:14 PM
The good news.. .50 cent trifecta

the bad news...50% takeout

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 05:18 PM
The good news.. .50 cent trifecta

the bad news...50% takeout
Not what I read.
http://www.bloodhorse.com/articleindex/article.asp?id=5758

whyhorseofcourse
10-09-2007, 05:20 PM
I like the sound of 50 cent pick 4s!

jognlope
10-09-2007, 05:36 PM
thanks tomorrow's payday!!

rastajenk
10-10-2007, 12:05 PM
Yeah, let's cater to the friggin' piggybackers :faint:

Just kidding. I think, given Keeneland's usually full fields and anything-goes results, this is a smart move.

rrbauer
10-10-2007, 01:05 PM
Of course, Youbet isn't geared up to take this bet!

David-LV
10-10-2007, 01:51 PM

Just kidding. I think, given Keeneland's usually full fields and anything-goes results, this is a smart move.

Those piggybackers that you refer to are only adding 20% to 50% handle to the pools for the so call big shot players to win.

Just remember it is not how much you bet that mean anything, it is how much you win that really counts.

So don't be so down on tracks that try new types of wagering to try an increase there handle.

Any increase in the handle benefits the so call big player a lot more than the the little guy with his 10 cent supers, 50 cent pick 4's, 50 cent tri's.

So just sit back and enjoy and hope you take down one of these large pools all by yourself.

BTW: These so call piggybacking bets that you refer to are great hedge bets against your other bets in individual races. Try them you might like them. :jump:

David-LV
10-10-2007, 01:59 PM

I just read the second line of your post and it appears that you agree that these bets are a very good idea.

Sorry for the rant..:) :)

jognlope
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Got the Race 1 .10 superfecta, comes to $38 or something, played about 8 of them. Not bad for me, since I never win anything. I didn't get any .50 trifectas though, but didn't box them.

Dodgersv
10-10-2007, 11:33 PM
I'm tried of these cheap exotics!!! All it means to standing behind some old man creating some cave man conceived combo. As I stand there in line I can only think many others are there like this guy. I remember reading back about a year ago how these dumb wagers would be the end of horse racing. How true it is. The payouts are ridiculous. I sure miss the days when a 10 to 1 horse would come in and inflate the payout for all exotics bets. Now... that horse comes in and a one dollar superfecta pays maybe 3 times that of trifecta. This is all due to the great 10 cent superfecta.

Check the odds on the following race. If you bet the winner your odds are 10 to 1 (10x2=20+2 = approx. 23.60), whereas if you bet the 10 cent superfecta you get 77 to 1 ( 771.30/ 10x.10= 77.13)... hey that's just as much as the exacta. In the past this superfecta use to pay about 20,000 dollars. That's when it was worth betting. I guess if you bet the 10 cent superfecta you must be the same guy who bet Lost in the Fog at 1/5. What an idiotic bet. So listen Mr. 10 cent superfecta get a life!!!

Santa Anita/ Oak Tree 10-08-2007....2nd race
Next Post 1:32 Off: 1:01 | 1 1/16 Miles | 3 Year Olds And Up | Maiden Claiming ($25,000 - $22,500) | Purse: $17,280

#HorseJockeyWeightWinPlaceShow8Latin CircuitRosario J12023.6011.205.207WritMigliore R1186.803.402Mahalo LaniGryder A T1202.10

Times in 5ths: :222 :46 1:11 1:37 1:434

Times in 100ths: :22.59 :46.09 1:11.15 1:37.18 1:43.90

Also ran: Blazeitgirl, Mango Frappe, Quick Honey, True Image and Serena's Future

Winning Trainer: Capitaine Nester M - Owner: Capitaine & Malley

$1 Exacta (8-7) Paid $71.70

$1 Trifecta (8-7-2) Paid $217.00

$1 Superfecta (8-7-2-4) Paid $771.30

kyle2227
10-11-2007, 01:29 AM
I love ten cent supers. They are a really fun bet to take a small risk on. I love boxing 4 horses for 2.40 cents. Or being able to take a horse with all/all/all and not having it cost a fortune. Sometimes when Im feeling lucky I will play them for more then ten cents like maybe 40 or 50 cents. My tsn account lets me do the ten centers all the way up to 90 centers without having to create multiple tickets. By 90 center I mean I can physically say I want a 90 cent superfecta 1/234 as an example and I believe that would cost around 5.40 on one ticket.

jognlope
10-11-2007, 08:45 AM
For small budgets like mine they're great, going back today to lose what I won!!!

point given
10-11-2007, 10:27 AM
I think they are fun as well. Usually, i would not key a 20/1 on top of a super for $1. but instead use exacta or tris proportionately. It lets me expand my play and not get killed. Think of all the retirees on fixed incomes , while the older seniors might not play exotics as much as the younger set, when the younger set gets there, the bet is in place. Lets the "hat pin" people put their dimes together as well for a group super. There is nothing preventing the "old experienced pro super players" from laying it in multiple times either. While I understand the concerns of long time super players, the pool should be more available to the small player. Same thing happened to the P4, pro's were concerned about 50 cent at keeneland, but they still pay very nice now with poly. The new P5 $1 bet at Monmouth and Santa Anita should fill a need for some. Take a look at it some time vs the $1p4 and $2 p6. Lots to choose on this menu. The only bet which I detest is the rolling daily doubles on the west coast, as 2 legs of a p3 are exposed, taking away some value (to me) in playing horizontal exotics there, so i don't. :ThmbUp:

Robert Fischer
10-11-2007, 10:38 AM
the bad - I am rewarded less for knowing that the 5th or 6th choice is better than the 4th choice.

the good - smaller bet units=more strategy , additional opportunity in cheap-evenly-matched races.

I was against this for the Breeders Cup, but it's here, I still hold out hope that we don't see these in the Kentucky Derby day.

I hate them on huge days , but if it wasn't for .10s I wouldn't have a lot of reasons to play some of these Keeneland and Arlington polytrack races at all.

ryesteve
10-11-2007, 10:41 AM
Check the odds on the following race. If you bet the winner your odds are 10 to 1 (10x2=20+2 = approx. 23.60), whereas if you bet the 10 cent superfecta you get 77 to 1 ( 771.30/ 10x.10= 77.13)...
You'd better check your abacus... I think your balls are sticky

Robert Fischer
10-11-2007, 10:42 AM
with the .50 tri

a key is more affordable:

A
BCDE
BCDE = $6

BCDE
A
BCDE = $6

BCDE
BCDE
A = $6

TOTAL = $18

MakinItHappen
10-11-2007, 10:47 AM
Of course, Youbet isn't geared up to take this bet!
Rich - YouBet does accept the $.50 Tri and Pick 4 wagers. The $.50 wager increment does not show up on the wager pad as a standard bet increment, but if you scroll down to "other" and select it, then enter in $.50, the Tri and Pick 4 will show as betting options where appropriate.

My tsn account lets me do the ten centers all the way up to 90 centers without having to create multiple tickets. By 90 center I mean I can physically say I want a 90 cent superfecta 1/234 as an example and I believe that would cost around 5.40 on one ticket.
YouBet also allows you to bet the Supers in $.10 increments on one ticket. This is done by again selecting the "other" betting increment option as described above and keying in the desired amount.

Best of Luck Today, Everyone!

MakinItHappen

toetoe
10-11-2007, 12:33 PM
I hereby volunteer to proofread your posts. Now, I may need them translated to me, but once I understand them, I will proofread like a muthavegga.

Disclaimer: I am a Giants fan.

Dodgersv
10-12-2007, 12:44 AM
Ryesteve are you the guy walking around Santa Anita with whiteout? Using it to whiteout all the scratches on the Daily Racing Form. Oh?!?! My bad, that would be Toetoe using it to whiteout all the articles which chronicles Marc Ecko's decision to asterisk his beloved Barry Bonds juice ball.

DanG
10-12-2007, 08:08 AM
Every wager (except most pick-6 pools) should be available in every conceivable denomination imo. It is ridiculous that in this day an age with so many internet transactions into the pools we can’t bet a .39 cent pick-4 for goodness sakes.

We must remember just how slow our sport moves…It wasn’t that long ago when California had $5 minimums on exactas because the powers at be wanted to “save the gambler from themselves” :rolleyes: by out pricing the gamble.

.10 supers are so instructive and fun for the player who doesn’t have thousands to commit to betting, they are a complete no-brainer.

BTW: An example of a minimum exception on a $2 pick-6 pool would be a mega-event day when a carryover is not allowed. (I.e., BC, Derby Dat etc.)

toetoe
10-12-2007, 02:46 PM
Hey, dodgy, I found that last post relatively cogent, and that's ... MY bad. Any horseplayer worth his kidney sweat will take juice any how, place or time. :ThmbUp:

Indulto
10-12-2007, 10:37 PM
Every wager (except most pick-6 pools) should be available in every conceivable denomination imo. It is ridiculous that in this day an age with so many internet transactions into the pools we can’t bet a .39 cent pick-4 for goodness sakes.

We must remember just how slow our sport moves…It wasn’t that long ago when California had $5 minimums on exactas because the powers at be wanted to “save the gambler from themselves” :rolleyes: by out pricing the gamble.

.10 supers are so instructive and fun for the player who doesn’t have thousands to commit to betting, they are a complete no-brainer.

BTW: An example of a minimum exception on a $2 pick-6 pool would be a mega-event day when a carryover is not allowed. (I.e., BC, Derby Dat etc.)Great minds think alike?
Crist Blog | September 28, 2007

Friday Q&A (http://cristblog.drf.com/crist/2007/09/qa.html)

… floppydog says: How come there can't be $1 or dime Pick 6s? Every time I consider playing a P6, I imagine you heading to the windows with a bankroll the size of a sponge cake, and I figure, Why bother.

I'm a big fan and supporter of lower minimums and fractional bets but the one exception I make is the pick six. If we had dime or 50-cent pick-sixes, there would almost never be carryovers and carryovers are a)a great betting opportunity and b)the reason for the giant pools. But the one time you could do a $1 pick-six with no ill effect is on Breeders' Cup day, and I wish they'd give that some serious thought over at BC Ltd. I think it would open up the bet to players who find it too daunting at $2; it's a mandatory-payout pool so there are no carryover concerns; and it would not decrease handle among existing players -- they'd put in the same or more with a higher confidence factor. BTW how is a dime super both instructive and a no-brainer at the same time? Why isn't a $.25 Pick Six instructive on a non-carryover day? :confused:

DanG
10-13-2007, 07:17 AM
Why isn't a $.25 Pick Six instructive on a non-carryover day? :confused:
Because they would virtually ALL become non-carryover days.

The difference is with Crist writing that is he knew the correct answer for many years. I wrote just last year that the pick-6 should have a $1 minimum, when my partner called me saying how it would kill the carry-over. Complete brain lock on my part. (Not the first / or last time) :bang:

rastajenk
10-13-2007, 07:36 AM
Great minds think alike?
BTW how is a dime super both instructive and a no-brainer at the same time?

I can take a stab at that one. Because dime supers and other discounted bets are instructive, an affordable tool to get casual fans more familiar with boxes and part-wheels, then it's a no-brainer for a track to make them available.