PDA

View Full Version : JOHN HENRY, R.I.P.

BombsAway Bob
10-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Headlines | Posted 10/8/2007, 10:31 pmhttp://www.drf.com/global/img/btn_print.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:PrintThisPage();)

John Henry dies at age 32

By GLENYE CAIN OAKFORD http://www.drf.com/images/johnhenry_100807_250x300.jpgHorsephotosJohn Henry

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- John Henry, the Hall of Fame gelding who was a five-time champion, two-time Horse of the Year, and known for his toughness and longevity, was euthanized Monday evening at the Kentucky Horse Park, his home since 1985. John Henry was 32.

The beloved gelding, who had age-related Cushing’s disease and kidney trouble, was treated several times for dehydration over the summer as central Kentucky’s temperatures soared to 100 degrees. But his condition improved enough recently that the park had stopped issuing daily updates on his status. John Henry’s stall was equipped with a five-foot tall air conditioning unit throughout the summer, and he spent much of his time the last several weeks happily eating sweets brought to him by visitors eager to pay their respects.

According to a statement issued by the Kentucky Horse Park Monday night, a team of people ultimately made the decision to euthanize him.

“After continued successful efforts to maintain the quality of John Henry’s life, in the past 48 hours he did not respond to our medical intervention,” said the park’s equine director, Kathy Hopkins. “Due to the loss of kidney function and muscle mass, his veterinarian, Dr. Mike Beyer, found it impossible to keep him properly hydrated and comfortable. Over the years, our goal has always been to maintain the highest quality of care and life for him, and it became evident over the weekend that this was no longer possible. Our hearts go out to all of those who so deeply cared for John during his long and charismatic life.”

RaceBookJoe
10-09-2007, 12:18 AM
Sad news. When you make a list of the great horses, if John Henry isnt on it then the list is most definately incomplete. RIP

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 12:37 AM
How ironic. I dusted off my photo of his first Arlington Million victory for the gate crew today.....

Great one.

WJ47
10-09-2007, 02:20 AM
My heart is broken that I never made it to the Kentucky Horse Park to see him in person. I envy those of you that did see him, it must have been incredible to stand that close to greatness. It is such tragic news, especially after the terrible day at Keeneland. John Henry had such a good life and was loved by so many people. To live to be 32 and in pretty good health until the last few weeks is unbelievable. He was one tough horse.

HRTV did a nice little clip of him tonight. I think it was filmed at his last birthday party. He looked pretty spunky even at his advanced age.

R.I.P, John!

Cratos
10-09-2007, 11:41 AM
With many of the good horses today being retired early for stud purposes (I realize that John Henry was gelding) it was great to have a “warrior” like John Henry performed admirably until the age of nine. RIP john Henry for you will forever be remembered by many racing fans for years to come.

Wickel
10-09-2007, 06:16 PM
I'm proud to say I witnessed the great John Henry in one of the Hollywood Gold Cups in the early '80s. Gave me he thrill of a lifetime. RIP brave one.

CryingForTheHorses
10-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Headlines | Posted 10/8/2007, 10:31 pmhttp://www.drf.com/global/img/btn_print.gif (http://javascript<b></b>:PrintThisPage();)

John Henry dies at age 32

By GLENYE CAIN OAKFORD http://www.drf.com/images/johnhenry_100807_250x300.jpgHorsephotosJohn Henry

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- John Henry, the Hall of Fame gelding who was a five-time champion, two-time Horse of the Year, and known for his toughness and longevity, was euthanized Monday evening at the Kentucky Horse Park, his home since 1985. John Henry was 32.

The beloved gelding, who had age-related Cushing’s disease and kidney trouble, was treated several times for dehydration over the summer as central Kentucky’s temperatures soared to 100 degrees. But his condition improved enough recently that the park had stopped issuing daily updates on his status. John Henry’s stall was equipped with a five-foot tall air conditioning unit throughout the summer, and he spent much of his time the last several weeks happily eating sweets brought to him by visitors eager to pay their respects.

According to a statement issued by the Kentucky Horse Park Monday night, a team of people ultimately made the decision to euthanize him.

“After continued successful efforts to maintain the quality of John Henry’s life, in the past 48 hours he did not respond to our medical intervention,” said the park’s equine director, Kathy Hopkins. “Due to the loss of kidney function and muscle mass, his veterinarian, Dr. Mike Beyer, found it impossible to keep him properly hydrated and comfortable. Over the years, our goal has always been to maintain the highest quality of care and life for him, and it became evident over the weekend that this was no longer possible. Our hearts go out to all of those who so deeply cared for John during his long and charismatic life.”

I am sitting here writing this and actually crying wiping the tears off my keyboard,Here is a CHAMPION who I had nothing to do with except having a large signed "Old Warriors" picture in my living room of JH and "The Shoe. I did see him beat The Bart at Arlington so many years ago.This was a horse that was always "The Peoples " horse.His courage and antics are the likes that will never been seen again. Thanks to The Kentucky Horse Park for caring for him all these yeras so the rest of the world could admire him.RIP John henry. I will foreever be gratefull as a trainer for witnessing the likes of you :( :( :(

GaryG
10-09-2007, 08:22 PM
Shakespeare had John in mind when he wrote: "..some are born great, some achieve greatness." I cried like a baby when I heard he was gone.

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 08:24 PM
One of my favorites hangs near the computer here with his groom of many years.

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 08:31 PM
same fellow I caught with him at Anita many years ago.

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 08:34 PM
or his maiden win.

JustRalph
10-09-2007, 11:47 PM
http://johnhenryhorse.blogspot.com/

click on the photos for larger shots

Bruddah
10-10-2007, 12:33 AM
I was privileged to see him race at Arlington Park, both in 1981 & 84. He was an inspiration to see, his relentess drive in the stretch was all "Heart" and Determination. May he Rest in Peace and in all of our memories. :(

rdavislake
10-10-2007, 12:34 AM
was that Win Picture fron the old Jefferson Downs in Kenner, LA?......Couldn't quite make out the printing on my Laptop......Neat Pic....

PaceAdvantage
10-10-2007, 01:13 AM
Nice slideshow here, along with a recent video link:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41246

JustRalph
10-10-2007, 03:16 AM
the best shot I have seen so far..........

jognlope
10-10-2007, 08:28 AM
I can't look at that photo of Mercado with him, too sad.

46zilzal
10-10-2007, 11:19 AM
the best shot I have seen so far..........
If you had looked it was already posted and I agree, it is the best.

JustRalph
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
If you had looked it was already posted and I agree, it is the best.

you're on ignore............. the only reason I saw this one was because I was told to look at it..............

BillW
10-10-2007, 04:34 PM
Coverage today in the Lexington Herald-Leader was front page above the fold. You wouldn't see that in too many places.

lilmegahertz
10-10-2007, 05:02 PM
Oh John Henry...rest in peace old man...I love you....Give 'em heck up there buddy...

eclecticapper
10-11-2007, 04:11 PM
I had the chance to see John Henry at the Kentucky Horse Park back in the 1990s. During the exhibition where they bring several of the champions out of their stalls for public viewing, John Henry proceeded to demonstrate for the audience which part of a horse's anatomy is NOT removed during the gelding process. While the KHP employee continued to talk about John Henry's career, the small children in the audience were all pointing and asking mommy and daddy "what's THAT?!!!" to everyone's amusement (well, almost everyone's, as I suspect the parents of the inquiring children were attempting to explain what THAT was). Even in retirement, John Henry put on quite a show.

toetoe
10-11-2007, 06:51 PM
Thanks to ralph and pa for photos. :ThmbUp:

Cenicola was very close to JH, I imagine. How about Eduardo Inda ?

True or false: JH was in the exacta in 65% of his starts, and 80 (count 'em 80 !)% of his starts after joining MacAnally's band (a handful of subsequent starts with Nickerson incl.)

Some of the humans look like they don't quite believe they won't get nipped. :)

beertapper
10-11-2007, 10:31 PM
"And the years dwindle down. It won't be long before the old warrior will hear the distant call to the post, a sound he had heard so long ago. He will come home now, one last time, to that familiar roar of the crowd and run his final race."

Fred Stone

http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/champions_1971_1090941

Kelso
10-12-2007, 01:06 AM
"And the years dwindle down. It won't be long before the old warrior will hear the distant call to the post, a sound he had heard so long ago. He will come home now, one last time, to that familiar roar of the crowd and run his final race."

Damn, Tapper ... that was nice. Thank you.

TurfRuler
10-13-2007, 11:02 AM
John Henry affected my view of racing more than any other. His winning percentage on the grass influenced my view that you can win a horse race, especially when it is run on the grass. To John Henry, therefore I am TurfRuler.

lilmegahertz
10-13-2007, 11:54 AM
Damn, Tapper ... that was nice. Thank you.

What a lovely tribute. That was indeed beautiful....