PDA

View Full Version : What Book

McSock
10-08-2007, 10:15 PM
I am fairly new to this game. I would like to know what people feel is the best 1st book to read. Just so much info on the web, but hard for a rookie to sort out helpful stuff vs. bs.

Thanks

dylbert
10-08-2007, 10:21 PM
Betting Thoroughbreds by Steve Davidowitz -- hands down

Tom
10-08-2007, 10:36 PM
My suggestions:

Ainsle's Completed Guide - still the most comprehensive. Get the basics down, then update them with:

Handicapping 101
Davidowitz
Quinn's Handicapper's Condition Book
Beyer on Speed
Modern Pace Handicaping
Pace Makes the Race
The Glendon Jones book..forget the name.

Take a walk through PA's reading room - lots of good stuff in there, too.

banacek
10-08-2007, 10:46 PM
The Glendon Jones book..forget the name.

Horse Racing Logic

headhawg
10-08-2007, 11:26 PM
For a first book --Winning Thoroughbred Strategies by Dick Mitchell.

RaceBookJoe
10-09-2007, 12:17 AM
Listen to Tom's advice above...in order I would start with Ainslie, then Davidowitz,Beyer, and 4th Brohamer. If you study and not just read those 4 books. you will have a good grasp on horse racing. Once those are digested, turn your attention to money management. good luck...joe

WJ47
10-09-2007, 02:13 AM
Get all of the Andy Beyer books! :) Not only will you learn about handicapping, but his stories and writing style will make you feel so lucky for discovering this wonderful sport! I always enjoyed handicapping, but after Beyer's books, I just fell in love with the game. His enthusiasm is amazing! I still reread my worn copies of his books all the time and I enjoy them more with each reading. I wish he'd write some more!

Betting Thoroughbreds by Davidowitz is incredible too. The Handicapper's Condition Book is a must read.

kitts
10-09-2007, 03:34 PM
headhawg says it right. This book of Dick Mitchell's actually turned me from losing player to winning.

DJofSD
10-09-2007, 04:54 PM
There's far too many books that will do nothing but muddle your thinking.

The fact that you will get a different recommendation from every respondant says something.

Some of the best books for handicapping are not about handicapping. For an example some of those off the top of my head are "The Tipping Point", "Blink" and "The Tao of Pooh".

Best of luck.

Charlie
10-09-2007, 08:41 PM
I own many books on handicapping. Books by Beyer, Brohamer, Mitchell, Pizzola, Free, Hambleton, Quinn and some others, but still my suggestion is to read Calibration Handicapping by Lehane. It's informative and a very easy read.

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 08:43 PM
MODERN PACE HANDICAPPING should be a required reading if one wants to understand pace analysis. It is a stepping stone, not an end point, but a necessary one nonetheless. Well written, good examples, with many DRF past performance lines.

shoelessjoe
10-09-2007, 09:01 PM
Ask Dick Schmidt if Brohamer's book is just a stepping stone?Shoeless

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 09:04 PM
Ask Dick Schmidt if Brohamer's book is just a stepping stone?
Well for YOU, through multiple clueless authored examples, it is a complete mystery.

shoelessjoe
10-09-2007, 10:16 PM
The only mystery to me is how you have so much time to post nonsense on the various BB'S.

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 10:30 PM
The only mystery to me is how you have so much time to post nonsense on the various BB'S.

QUOTE:"You guys are probably getting tired of my posts about now but another thing tweaked my interest on the KC tapes."

Garnering every known tape in the world won't get anything into one's head or will it? One has to LEARN something from any source, not just collect more and more of them.

shoelessjoe
10-10-2007, 06:53 AM
Hey we finally agree on something as long as one of the sources isnt you.By the way what name are you using this week to sneak into Bill's site?

DanG
10-10-2007, 08:04 AM
Two years ago I would say get your hands on every single racing publication, book, seminar etc…and cram like it was the final semester.

Now, I’m less sure of that approach then ever. A player with a clean slate and few pre-conceived notions can take advantage of “blinkers on” and learn to specialize. A truly well rounded comprehensive approach can and does take longer than most of us are willing to admit. (Like 20+ years to be honest in many cases)

Modern Pace Handicapping for example may be absorbed more efficiently by the player with little prior knowledge. I’ve heard several long time racing fans put up a wall when discussing that book, when a “newbie” may embrace it.

Just a thought…I’m prejudice but MPH also leads well into software such as HTR although I’m sure most of the sponsors data on this board would also serve the purpose.

Best of luck!

russowen77
10-10-2007, 09:23 AM
I own many books on handicapping. Books by Beyer, Brohamer, Mitchell, Pizzola, Free, Hambleton, Quinn and some others, but still my suggestion is to read Calibration Handicapping by Lehane. It's informative and a very easy read.
I have bought a several books lately. I love that book(Calibration handicapping) and the author makes sure you get it. His red scan technique is great for someone starting out and can be easily modified to pick up any other key data that you are using.

Dan H
10-10-2007, 08:28 PM
Perhaps the better question is ....

Of all the handicapping books on your shelf, which is the most referenced, dog-eared, and worn?

Mine is "Ainslie's Complete Guide to Thoroughbred Racing."

DeanT
10-10-2007, 08:54 PM
A player with a clean slate and few pre-conceived notions can take advantage of “blinkers on” and learn to specialize. A truly well rounded comprehensive approach can and does take longer than most of us are willing to admit. (Like 20+ years to be honest in many cases)

I agree completely.

I reread Dave S's theory stuff on his website recently. I agree with him that specializing in something and learning the shape of a race/class/etc is primo advice. That is curently what I am focusing on.

As for my dog eared book? Thoroughbred Handicapping" by Quirin. First capping book I ever bought. I love it.

Newer faves are Six Secrets of Successful Bettors and Gambling Wizards, because I like gambling stories. I have reread those recently.

My current ones I am rereading are "The Science of Winning" by Fabricand and "Forecasting Methods For Horse Racing" by Peter May. This goes hand in hand with my Dave approach. I have to do some work and those books help.

As for the original poster's question I do agree with Tom. I would read Free's book. If you want to follow that up on how to gamble, I would try Cramer's book on Value Handicapping (or Fierro's Four Quarters). It is an easy read and helps open your eyes that cashing one out of every three winners at 9-5, sucks.

PS: Thanks for the tip boys. I just read the synopsis and immediately hit "order" on Calibration Handicapping.