PDA

View Full Version : Binoculars

Snow Chief
10-07-2007, 10:09 PM
Currently, I have a pair of 10x 50mm binos for live racing. does anyone have an opinion on whether 16x magnification is significantly better or worse if one still has a 50mm diameter? Also, I remember a few years ago in The Horseplayer there used to be ads for these binos that displayed fractional times in the view. Does anyone know if these are still made? Thanks.

russowen77
10-08-2007, 03:26 PM
Ten power is about considered the max for hand helds. I assume you must do a lot of night racing since you need the 50mm. If you need more than 10x I would highly recommend a either getting a new model with image stabilization or buy a monopod to use with the binos.

Tape Reader
10-08-2007, 04:23 PM
I have a 15x50 Canon Image Stabilizer. The quality is great but it is too heavy, for me, to carry around at the track. I "think" this is the model that Tom Durkin uses.

GameTheory
10-08-2007, 04:52 PM
I have a 15x50 Canon Image Stabilizer. The quality is great but it is too heavy, for me, to carry around at the track. I "think" this is the model that Tom Durkin uses.I tried out a Canon IS model at the store -- I thought when you pushed the button to stabilize, it was supposed to lock on to the current view. Does it still work when tracking horses around the track?

Snow Chief
10-08-2007, 05:43 PM
No, i do night racing rarely. The 50mm's are not too bad for carrying around the track, and i do not need a monopod! I have not been to a store, just looking on the internet so i have no idea how big these 16x and and higher diameters would be. Thanks for the advice

Tape Reader
10-08-2007, 10:01 PM
I tried out a Canon IS model at the store -- I thought when you pushed the button to stabilize, it was supposed to lock on to the current view. Does it still work when tracking horses around the track?

"Image Stabilizer" does sound misleading. The current image is not "frozen", the button just acitvates the feature. They can be used with the feature on or off. In the "off" position they act just as regular binoculars--and shakey--as one might imagine with 15x. When the button is depressed the "shake" is "cancelled" (compensated) in an opposite direction via computer. The weight is the only downside IMO, 42.3 oz excluding two AA batteries.

russowen77
10-09-2007, 12:30 PM
No, i do night racing rarely. The 50mm's are not too bad for carrying around the track, and i do not need a monopod! I have not been to a store, just looking on the internet so i have no idea how big these 16x and and higher diameters would be. Thanks for the advice
You can hand hold a ten power. the monopod idea was for if you decided to go to the 16s.

The 50mm main purpose is for light. If you like them that is great. I do also but I also use mine on my boat. I lug them around the track because I don't need two pair, even though it is a pain that I get nada from.

I am thinking about getting a spoting scope for the post parade on the days guests preclude me from hanging around the paddock. Dang stops are hard to see sometimes for sure.

DanG
10-09-2007, 12:47 PM
Some days watching the YouBet feed from the Belmont backstretch I use this from home… :eek:

http://www.uncg.edu/phy/tco/images/telescope2-small.jpg

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 01:03 PM
With the improved and multiple view shots from the cameras at MOST venues, I find binoculars (as much as I do like them) are a redundant requirement of a day at the races.

At the Arc over the weekend, they had a great overlay of "lanes" down the stretch at Longchamp to show just how much the winner came over during the run to the winning post. You could never appreciate that from the stands.