PDA

View Full Version : Solving the workout controversy

njcurveball
10-06-2007, 08:08 PM
With billions of dollars bet on horse races these days, why is it so hard to have a tattoo checker at the gate before workouts?

Simply assign horses different colors and numbers on their saddle cloths and write the corresponding tattoo number next to it when they hit the track.

Then simply put a cameras on track and record the morning for anything the clockers miss or need to review.

I understand this was not feasible in 1960 at Cowtown, but when I read of missed workouts and controversy it just boggles the mind.

If the horse is simply jogging, then give them a special jogging cloth with a number as well.

When they come off the track, collect the cloth for the next day or next session.

I understand this is probably an extra employee or two for a track to hire, but what could it cost? If they really want to show fans they are honest put the "workout cam" on the tracks web page and have the identifiers type the stuff into a laptop.

I just cannot understand why the tracks would not want to "open their books" and show the public they are doing everything they can to make this an honest game.

I suggested before web cams in the barns as well. With the internet this is far from a major expense these days.

Jim

Tom
10-07-2007, 12:26 AM
Where is the roi for the tracks?
They aren't about to do something that costs money.
For crying out loud, it took 10 years to get colored saddle cloths - and everyone is still not on board.:bang:

Don't assume the bettors count for spit in this industry.

kenwoodallpromos
10-07-2007, 02:19 AM
What about the ID chips implanted in the horse?

Cangamble
10-07-2007, 06:59 AM
There is also the problem of training center workouts. Farms with 5 furlong or greater tracks that are used to get horses ready. But this doesn't affect that many horses unless it is early in the year.

Tom
10-07-2007, 02:43 PM
The tracks cow-tow to the horsemen - not the bettors. Bottom line is they don't care about fair racing, fan satisfaction, anything that a real business would care about. Those that get slot revenue probably care less. They only race for the right set up machines.

Racing is not rocket science - if the industry truly cared about it's integrity, it could have solved all its problems years ago. They do not care and never will.
You can't spend integrity.