PDA

View Full Version : Modern Pace Handicapping

maxwell
10-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I just started reading this critter. Should I plow through the entire book or is there a few chapters that hit the nail on the head?

Any help would surely save my sanity as I have never gotten into "pace" :D

Greyfox
10-06-2007, 05:39 PM
It's well written. Read it all. Nothing good comes easy.

GaryG
10-06-2007, 05:44 PM
That is a fine book but you will need to read it at least twice. If you have a background with pace figures that will be helpful. A classic to be sure.

Tom
10-06-2007, 05:47 PM
The best part is in how to interpret the velocity numbers, IMHO. It is essdntial that you know how to use the numbers and the horse's PPs in conjunction, again, IMHO.

russowen77
10-06-2007, 07:09 PM
The best part is in how to interpret the velocity numbers, IMHO. It is essdntial that you know how to use the numbers and the horse's PPs in conjunction, again, IMHO.
Tom,

Would you mind expanded on that thought a little. You just hit the nail on the head to this old fella and I would love some education in that area.

Thanks so much.

Tom
10-07-2007, 12:35 AM
Looking at ratings in a vacuum is dangerous.

If you see a horse has the best F1 velocity, you might think it will be on the lead, but a visual look might sow that it is a confirmed closer. You need to relate the ratings to the horse's running styles. Brohammer takes a lot of time describing styles, so that you accurately assign a horse how it should run. One of my favorite pace plays is the presser who has the best early ratings. He dosen't need to use all his energy early and will have more left in the tank late.

RaceBookJoe
10-07-2007, 12:51 AM
Looking at ratings in a vacuum is dangerous.

If you see a horse has the best F1 velocity, you might think it will be on the lead, but a visual look might sow that it is a confirmed closer. You need to relate the ratings to the horse's running styles. Brohammer takes a lot of time describing styles, so that you accurately assign a horse how it should run. One of my favorite pace plays is the presser who has the best early ratings. He dosen't need to use all his energy early and will have more left in the tank late.

Great post. When you combine that with a slight class move up or down, you have a great play. On the move down, he should have no problem but the price might shrink also. On the move up, it will be a little tougher but the price should be better. Gold is where you find it. " Whaddya mean we're outta bananas." I miss that line on your posts

russowen77
10-07-2007, 07:58 AM
Thanks Tom. I apprecitate your insights very much.

maxwell
10-07-2007, 09:59 AM
My style of handicapping goes in the face of what this book seems to be all about. I play only sprints and no horses outside of pp6. I don't handicap any horse less than 3/1 in the ML as I'm looking to get horses walking into the gate at 8/1. That means that I am sometimes handicapping 4 or 5 horses in a 12-horse field ... which I like very much. :D

I use a modified Quirin-style speed fig. approach.

5, 51/2 fur : -> 2 3/4 lengths

6, 6 1/2 fur : -> 3 3/4 lengths

7, 7 1/2 fur : -> 4 3/4 lengths ... at the 1st or 2nd call.

I give a horse 1 pt. for keeping up. And I give an extra pt. for beating 1/2 the field to the 1st. or 2nd. call if there is at least 8 runners out there. I use a basic plan for the overall speed quality of a race. If I feel the par of a class is 85, and the horse I'm 'capping ran a 72, I'll accept that running line if the horse was beaten, say 6 lengths in a 6f. race. ( 15 pts. )

72 + 15 = 87. Slightly higher than the class ( 85 ).

That doesn't say anything about the pace but at least I know he was keeping up in a respectable race.

I used to break races down into turn-times and internal fractions but I was seduced by the Dark Side ( Lord Beyer ) and it might be too late for me. :D

But I'm going to take your advice and see where it goes. Thanks for the replys.

46zilzal
10-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Racing styles are NOT black and white. Brohamer mises a few just as Sartin's style does.

Capper Al
10-07-2007, 01:21 PM
The book is a classic and well worth the read. Just use his info as part of the puzzle when trying to select a horse and you'll be all right.

46zilzal
10-07-2007, 02:01 PM
The book is a classic and well worth the read. Just use his info as part of the puzzle when trying to select a horse and you'll be all right.
A stepping stone, not a destination.

shoelessjoe
10-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Racing styles are NOT black and white. Brohamer mises a few just as Sartin's style does.

Im sure Brohamer will be really upset when he hears this.Shoeless

jhilden
10-07-2007, 03:34 PM

Kind of agree. I used Brohamers method as a stepping stone to figuresout my running styles - more then just ESP is needed. Plus, I have used in the past a numeric system - differences to a tenth of a point somtimes helped:)

Dick Schmidt
10-08-2007, 05:19 PM
Damn I love threads like this. As long as people are willing to debate about the best handicapping book ever written and try to pick and choose what it has to say, I know that I can always go to the track and win. If any of you would take the time to actually read and understand this masterpiece by the greatest living handicapper in the world, you'd be able to stop whining and start winning. Tom taught it to me and I went 17 YEARS without a losing month.

On second thought, it's just a stepping stone. Don't bother. See you at the races. Bring money.

Dick

"Polls are tests to see how well the propaganda is working" -G. Sepp

joeyspicks
10-08-2007, 07:14 PM
Damn I love threads like this. As long as people are willing to debate about the best handicapping book ever written and try to pick and choose what it has to say, I know that I can always go to the track and win. If any of you would take the time to actually read and understand this masterpiece by the greatest living handicapper in the world, you'd be able to stop whining and start winning. Tom taught it to me and I went 17 YEARS without a losing month.

On second thought, it's just a stepping stone. Don't bother. See you at the races. Bring money.

Dick

:ThmbUp:best handicapping book ever written :jump:

maxwell
10-08-2007, 09:39 PM
If it's that good I'd better buckle down and batten the hatches. I'm glad my money has been well spent. :)

Capper Al
10-09-2007, 02:21 AM
If it's that good I'd better buckle down and batten the hatches. I'm glad my money has been well spent. :)

It's good but dated. This was the age of pace thta has given way to the age of the track profiler. There is no turning back.

Dick Schmidt
10-09-2007, 04:04 AM
"It's good but dated. This was the age of pace thta (sic) has given way to the age of the track profiler. There is no turning back.__________________
CapperAl was formerly known as ASpiteri."

Horsehockey! This works as well as ever. I still keep in touch with several players who continue to use it just like Tom wrote it and they just keep on winning. Two make a good living at the track. Besides, Tom Brohamer invented track profiles.

I haven't played much in the past couple of years, but when I do, I use a simplified subset of Tom's work (TPR). TPR is 20 years old and just keeps on rolling to the windows. About a month ago I handicapped a week of races with a friend's son, who wants to go racing. My results were just about where they were when I moved on: 62% winners betting 2 horses per race and an ROI of 31%. Give me a month to scrape the rust off and I'll add 4 or 5% to both those numbers.

News flash! It's still horse racing. Horses haven't changed and they still run in the same direction. Fads come and go but the only thing that can really hurt a winning method is for it to get too popular.

Dick

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
-Robert Frost

Kelso
10-10-2007, 12:31 AM
About a month ago I handicapped a week of races with a friend's son, who wants to go racing. My results were just about where they were when I moved on: 62% winners betting 2 horses per race and an ROI of 31%. Give me a month to scrape the rust off and I'll add 4 or 5% to both those numbers.

Dick,
Did you 'cap any races on artificial surfaces? If so, did you work them as turf races and were your results in line with the rest?

Thank you.

Charlie
10-10-2007, 08:34 AM
"It's good but dated. This was the age of pace thta (sic) has given way to the age of the track profiler. There is no turning back.__________________
CapperAl was formerly known as ASpiteri."

Horsehockey! This works as well as ever. I still keep in touch with several players who continue to use it just like Tom wrote it and they just keep on winning. Two make a good living at the track. Besides, Tom Brohamer invented track profiles.

I haven't played much in the past couple of years, but when I do, I use a simplified subset of Tom's work (TPR). TPR is 20 years old and just keeps on rolling to the windows. About a month ago I handicapped a week of races with a friend's son, who wants to go racing. My results were just about where they were when I moved on: 62% winners betting 2 horses per race and an ROI of 31%. Give me a month to scrape the rust off and I'll add 4 or 5% to both those numbers.

News flash! It's still horse racing. Horses haven't changed and they still run in the same direction. Fads come and go but the only thing that can really hurt a winning method is for it to get too popular.

Dick

I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way.
-Robert Frost Dick... I always wondered about the TPR being equivalent to the Total Pace Rating. When you add the horse's EPR and FF, isn't what you get just its final time. Not trying to be a wise guy, but just always wondered about this. In other words why put all the work into finding the EPR and the FF, just to acquire the horse's final time?

shanta
10-10-2007, 08:47 AM
Dick... I always wondered about the TPR being equivalent to the Total Pace Rating. When you add the horse's EPR and FF, isn't what you get just its final time. Not trying to be a wise guy, but just always wondered about this. In other words why put all the work into finding the EPR and the FF, just to acquire the horse's final time?

The magic in making it work is to put the work in and make a track profile from result charts and a decision model for your readouts regarding the Difference in Epr to Ffr. The wait for things to line up and match and head to the windows

All due respect the best book on pace is "Pace makes the race" original version by Hambleton,Schmidt,Pizzolla,Sartin. Simple yet deadly when the work is put in thats needed

Richie

xtb
10-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Horsehockey!

Two of my favorite things but until I saw this I never thought of them together!

Charlie
10-11-2007, 05:53 PM
The magic in making it work is to put the work in and make a track profile from result charts and a decision model for your readouts regarding the Difference in Epr to Ffr. The wait for things to line up and match and head to the windows

All due respect the best book on pace is "Pace makes the race" original version by Hambleton,Schmidt,Pizzolla,Sartin. Simple yet deadly when the work is put in thats needed

Richie Thank You for the info. I do use Pace Makes the Race, the one written by Hambleton and Schmidt. I've even applied its theory for handicapping Harness Racing at one mile tracks. But still, I was wondering about the TPR being called a total pace rating rather than a final time rating. By the way, agreed, the book is an excellent read and along with Calibration Handicapping are my two favorites. And once again, thanks for your input.

shanta
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Thank You for the info. I do use Pace Makes the Race, the one written by Hambleton and Schmidt. I've even applied its theory for handicapping Harness Racing at one mile tracks. But still, I was wondering about the TPR being called a total pace rating rather than a final time rating. By the way, agreed, the book is an excellent read and along with Calibration Handicapping are my two favorites. And once again, thanks for your input.

Charlie,
Sorry for going off topic for a minute but any chance you are from the Ny area and years back went to Yonkers Raceway for daytime simulcasting? Talking mid to late 90's man.

Richie

Charlie
10-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Charlie,
Sorry for going off topic for a minute but any chance you are from the Ny area and years back went to Yonkers Raceway for daytime simulcasting? Talking mid to late 90's man.

Richie Never been to Yonkers. I reside In MA and my wagering is done at Rockingham Park in Salem NH. Been going there for years. I enjoy both Thorougbred and Harness racing. Since Rockingham switched to Harness racing around 4 years back, my handicapping is geared mostly towards trotters and pacers. I like the one mile tracks so much better than the 1/2 mile tracks. In fact, I caught a $1700.00 pick 3 last night at Balmoral. The first horse paid $12.00, and the second only $4.00. I had 5 live horses in the final leg and was so very lucky when the 8 horse came home at huge odds. I am not usually this lucky, but I was last night. For the Thoroughbreds, I use Calibration Handicapping when making spot plays and it seems to deliver some nice prices. I especially like Lehane's turn move. Well anyway, Good racing luck.

Dick Schmidt
10-11-2007, 10:35 PM
"Dick,
Did you 'cap any races on artificial surfaces? If so, did you work them as turf races and were your results in line with the rest?"

"Dick... I always wondered about the TPR being equivalent to the Total Pace Rating. When you add the horse's EPR and FF, isn't what you get just its final time. Not trying to be a wise guy, but just always wondered about this. In other words why put all the work into finding the EPR and the FF, just to acquire the horse's final time?"

Yes, I did artificial surfaces. No, I didn't treat them any differently than I do any other race. Same for turf races. They are done exactly the same as dirt races. Before I started, I made the kid I was helping keep a track profile for a month and used that. After a couple of days, I had a model up and going, and factored that into my handicapping. TPR doesn't care if the horses are running on grass or concrete, the process is the same, the adjustments take care of the surface differences and you select horses based on what has been winning in the immediate past.

Of course TPR ratings are equivalent to final time. Three races of 44/110, 45/110 or 46/110 will all have the same TPR rating. What gives the method its power is that these races are not at all the same, and different horses will have an advantage depending on how they run 110. EPR and FFR really aren't very sophisticated numbers, and adding them together gives final time. It's how you use them, track them and let them speak to you about how the race will run today that gives them their power. They are measuring how a horse's power is distributed, and that is much more important than absolute power. Well, most of the time. You find a horse 3 seconds faster than the field and power distribution just doesn't matter. He can run backward and still win.

Dick

"No wife can endure a gambling husband, unless he is a steady winner." ~Thomas Robert Dewar

keilan
10-11-2007, 11:05 PM
EPR and FFR really aren't very sophisticated numbers, and adding them together gives final time. It's how you use them, track them and let them speak to you about how the race will run today that gives them their power. They are measuring how a horse's power is distributed, and that is much more important than absolute power. Well, most of the time. You find a horse 3 seconds faster than the field and power distribution just doesn't matter. He can run backward and still win.

Dick

I have no idea of TPR ratings but any calculation that measures an animals distribution of power accurately is a mighty fine tool.

crestridge
10-12-2007, 02:13 AM
Can anyone recommend a computer program (besides Synergism 6, and the other programs which utilize HDW) which produces good EPR,FFR,TPR numbers downloaded from Bris? I have MPH, which is an excellant program, but it doesn't produce TPR numbers.

Thanks much.

CREST

shoelessjoe
10-12-2007, 06:34 AM
Dick,Thanks very much for your help.Shoeless

Charlie
10-12-2007, 07:44 AM
Dick... thank you for your explanation. I was in no way knocking the book. Like I've said before, I utilize the knowledge gained from both Pace Makes the Race and Calibration Handicapping. They are without question, my favorites. Once again, thanks.

Houndog
10-12-2007, 10:18 AM
Can anyone recommend a computer program (besides Synergism 6, and the other programs which utilize HDW) which produces good EPR,FFR,TPR numbers downloaded from Bris? I have MPH, which is an excellant program, but it doesn't produce TPR numbers.

Thanks much.

CREST

I think you can purchase a program called Pace Evaluator which uses Bris files and gives you TPR numbers. Whether they are as good as the ones Dick Schmidt describes in Pace Makes The Race I cannot say as I have never used the program.

Just do a Google Search on "Pace Evaluator" which will give you more information.

crestridge
10-12-2007, 11:35 PM
Hound

Thanks so very much for your info about "Pace Eval"; I will definitely look into this program and attempt to ascertain it's value. Again thanks much.

Crest

Hosshead
10-13-2007, 02:16 AM
I would like to check out PaceEvaluator too, but unfortunately it doesn't take the $59. per month (all tracks) TSN Procaps.

riskman
10-13-2007, 02:54 AM

Dick

I think was being said here is that there is different explanations of RS ie. RS-POS as an example--which does not alter the the message Brohamer was expousing in his work.

bigmack
10-13-2007, 04:34 AM
does not alter the the message Brohamer was expousing in his work.
For clari, it's espousing.

Dick Schmidt
10-13-2007, 05:17 AM
If I might point something out here: TPR numbers are a proprietary and copyrighted method of evaluating horseracing. Any program (other than Synergism) that is giving you TPR numbers is using them without the copyright owners permission. Stealing them in other words. One day I may get off my ass and sue some of these people, especially it I thought they had any money.

Also, no you can't make them reliably from the BRIS charts or downloads. Not that the information isn't there, it just that the BRIS charts, every signal one of them, are garbage. GI-GO. Not using HDW files because BRIS is cheaper is saving a nickel to lose a dollar. The idea is to WIN money, not save money.

Dick

No one has ever bet enough on a winning horse.
- Richard Sasuly

Not to the swift, the race:
Not to the strong, the fight:
- Henry Van Dyke

The race is not always to the swift,
nor the battle to the strong,
but that's the way to bet.
- Daymon Runyon

Hosshead
10-13-2007, 05:30 AM
Actually, now that I think about it, if you scan a lot of tracks per day, the Synergism files from HDW are MUCH less expensive per month than Bris !
- Plus you get the "real deal".
Of course knowing how to make money with them is another story.
But that's the same story we have to deal with, no matter what the sw.

bigmack
10-13-2007, 06:03 AM
Synergism files from HDW are MUCH less expensive per month than Bris ! - Plus you get the "real deal".
$129/mo is too much to ask of people who refuse to see the value.
The idea is to WIN money, not save money
Insightfully terse.

I'll never understand scrimp behavior of endeavors intended for financial gain.
The only camp embedded are those unable to rid themselves of a defeatist point of view.

DanG
10-13-2007, 06:27 AM
$129/mo is too much to ask of people who refuse to see the value.

I'll never understand scrimp behavior of endeavors intended for financial gain.
The only camp embedded are those unable to rid themselves of a defeatist point of view.
Could not agree more…

If the public would only break down the man hours involved in the data collection, formatting, storing etc…etc…etc. $129 bucks (HDW) is one of the great buys in information. The exact same effort in stock market data and put at least one zero on that price and people would be tripping over each other to purchase it.

If it’s beyond ones budget…that’s perfectly legitimate, but to ever say it’s priced too high, is just ridiculous imho.

GaryG
10-13-2007, 09:25 AM
The problem with BRIS is the variants. They were never very good but now the artificial surfaces have them really screwed up. At this point all of the BRIS pace figs are useless.

socantra
10-13-2007, 06:23 PM
If I might point something out here: TPR numbers are a proprietary and copyrighted method of evaluating horseracing. Any program (other than Synergism) that is giving you TPR numbers is using them without the copyright owners permission. Stealing them in other words. One day I may get off my ass and sue some of these people, especially it I thought they had any money.

From the FAQ on www.copyright.gov:

"What does copyright protect?
Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed.

How is a copyright different from a patent or a trademark?
Copyright protects original works of authorship, while a patent protects inventions or discoveries. Ideas and discoveries are not protected by the copyright law, although the way in which they are expressed may be. A trademark protects words, phrases, symbols, or designs identifying the source of the goods or services of one party and distinguishing them from those of others."

I am a great admirer of the EPR, FFR and TPR. I have several copies of both books and find it the most successful method I have ever used, but I suspect any decent copyright attorney would tell you to keep your money in your pocket and quit wasting his time. Your presentation is what is copyrighted, not the method itself.

If you really wanted to keep anyone else from using it, maybe you shouldn't have published it. It was very nice of Purdy to ask permission, but really not legaly necessary. You are the one who put it into the public discourse.

socantra
10-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Also, no you can't make them reliably from the BRIS charts or downloads. Not that the information isn't there, it just that the BRIS charts, every signal one of them, are garbage. GI-GO. Not using HDW files because BRIS is cheaper is saving a nickel to lose a dollar. The idea is to WIN money, not save money.

Okay, as long as we are speaking truth to power here, let me borrow a word used earlier in this thread; HORSEHOCKEY!

Everything I have seen from HDW is excellent, and I have no doubt about the quality of their data, but the raw data all comes from the same source, Equibase. The main proprietery thing involved in doing the TPR numbers is the DRF variant, and BRIS seems to have a DRF style.variant and speed rating that is quite serviceble. If you are still not satisfied, how about using the data out of the Daily Racing Form itself.

dutchboy
10-13-2007, 10:53 PM

Thanks much.

CREST

www.adpa.com (http://www.adpa.com)
program: focus 2000
$1.00 drf files from brisnet. Also will use Tsn I believe.
.25 for the exotic results file to maintain the database.

Produces an EPR,FFR,TPR plus a standard SPEED FIGURE and a CLASS BASED SPEED FIGURE. There are about 4 different speed ratings catagories, 4 pace catagories and 6 fraction catagories.It also maintains a database of all catagories and race types if you download the result file. Download demo is free. I have used it a long time. Total pace and the class based spd fig seem to return the best long term results on stake races where I spend most of my time.

Dick Schmidt
10-14-2007, 04:25 AM
Socantra,

As I said, the numbers are all there in BRIS files, they are just riddled with errors. Not the variants (well, them too) but the actual running times and beaten lengths. HDW sometimes has to make over 1,000 corrections in one day's data (I watched them do 1400) just to make any sense of the data. Use BRIS if you want, just don't write me if it doesn't work.

Dick

P.S. I know what copyright protects. You don't sue people to win money, you sue people to punish them by forcing them to hire lawyers. Fortunately for all concerned, I have better things to do with my time.

Seventh Law of Litigation: The judge's jokes are always funny.

crestridge
10-14-2007, 10:43 AM
Dutch

Thanks much for info on this program. They are having a 50% sale this weekend; (ends the 15th, tomorrow) the 3 track edition is $57 (which is normally over $100). Appreciate the info.

I play only about 1-2 days a week, at most, because my occupation requires 14-16 hr days, so it doesn't make sense to spend $140 per month for downloads. Besides, this is a hobby for me, my "crossword puzzle", if you like. I utilize this endeavor to remove the "cobwebs", to keep my decision making skills sharp and to enjoy the research process. I'm a two dollar "investor", mostly just researching systems and attempting to make very minor profits.

I admire Dick, all of us here hold him in high esteem; for who among us could handle the emotional/psychological stresses of 17 years of handicapping for a living, and providing significantly for their family. You Dick, are a "blessed man". I would never be able to accomplish what you have done and continue to do. But my priorities are different; I operate in the medical field, saving lives. This is my passion, I have no greater thrill than observing a medical success, a man or woman who has been struggling with the "breath of life" for days, weeks, sometimes months and then coming back to the "team" in the hospital thanking us with tears in their eyes, for all we've done to extend their life span. This is truly a joy I experience. It doesn't pay well, but I think it significant.

So, please Dick, don't be to upset with those of us who are looking for a "tool" that has some value, may not be optimal, but will assist in the handicapping process, with a reasonable budget in mind. There's probably many others out there with this same mind set.

Thanks Dutch again for the info.

Crest

dutchboy
10-14-2007, 12:55 PM
Long term best results for me seem to be in stake races. Track the top 2 in the Uchk and total pace. Prefer races where there is a .75 length seperation between the top 2 and the 3rd rated horse. Uchk is a class based speed figure.
ADPA suggest only playing low to med price claiming and allowance races. It seems after 10 years using the program in various versions stakes work best for me.
Graded and open ngs only. Restricted races for state breds do not return good results so I ignore them.

Dutch

Thanks much for info on this program. They are having a 50% sale this weekend; (ends the 15th, tomorrow) the 3 track edition is $57 (which is normally over $100). Appreciate the info.

I play only about 1-2 days a week, at most, because my occupation requires 14-16 hr days, so it doesn't make sense to spend $140 per month for downloads. Besides, this is a hobby for me, my "crossword puzzle", if you like. I utilize this endeavor to remove the "cobwebs", to keep my decision making skills sharp and to enjoy the research process. I'm a two dollar "investor", mostly just researching systems and attempting to make very minor profits.

I admire Dick, all of us here hold him in high esteem; for who among us could handle the emotional/psychological stresses of 17 years of handicapping for a living, and providing significantly for their family. You Dick, are a "blessed man". I would never be able to accomplish what you have done and continue to do. But my priorities are different; I operate in the medical field, saving lives. This is my passion, I have no greater thrill than observing a medical success, a man or woman who has been struggling with the "breath of life" for days, weeks, sometimes months and then coming back to the "team" in the hospital thanking us with tears in their eyes, for all we've done to extend their life span. This is truly a joy I experience. It doesn't pay well, but I think it significant.

So, please Dick, don't be to upset with those of us who are looking for a "tool" that has some value, may not be optimal, but will assist in the handicapping process, with a reasonable budget in mind. There's probably many others out there with this same mind set.

Thanks Dutch again for the info.

Crest

traveler
10-15-2007, 01:47 PM
May be drifting but track profile has been touched on here. When making one, in the Follow Up years ago, I seem to remember just doing one by distance. Is there any reason to break it down by male/female and even segregating further claimers from maidens etc? Thanks.

Tom
10-15-2007, 01:50 PM
Distance - age is as much as I do - after years of tinkering. You get to the point that you don'thave enough races in any category for day to day use. Age is a big one, though, as is track condition - but that is just part of the running tally. i have noticed patterns in "fast" tracks right after rain, which might be more drying our than fast.

46zilzal
10-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Track profiles should be done by distance, surface. Younger horses tend to be earlier, but three year olds not that much as compared with the two year olds.

Tom
10-15-2007, 03:58 PM
But 2-3 year olds are the same group Dec into Jan. I break it down by meet, so I am not too complicated. A quick sort in Excel will tell me if the difference is significant.

xtb
10-31-2007, 12:44 AM

I haven't played much in the past couple of years, but when I do, I use a simplified subset of Tom's work (TPR).

Dick, do you use the final fraction ratings from the 1995 edition of PMTR instead of the ones from the 1991 edition? Or have they been updated again since? Thanks.