PDA

View Full Version : San Pasqual Analysis (Part 1)...

Bubbles
01-03-2003, 10:42 AM
Hey all...

It's time to come out of my winter hibernation and evaluate stakes races at Santa Anita. The Grade II San Pasqual Handicap is a prep race for the biggest race of the spring on the West Coast, the Santa Anita Handicap. Here is a horse-by-horse analysis...

1) Kudos-He became a contenter in classics a year ago when he ran third in the Big Cap and came from sixteen (!) lengths back to win the Oaklawn Handicap. An injury stopped him and he hasn't raced since that Oaklawn win. However, his works have been respectable since the injury; place in exotics, and watch for him in the Santa Anita.

2) Freedom Crest-Hasn't found the winner's circle since 10/01, when he defeated Tiznow at 39-1 in the Goodwood. So why do I think he has a shot? He's changed trainers and his last four-furlong work was a bullet (:46 handily); could surprise if he can get on the lead and set moderate fractions.

3)Cottage-Many are tauting him as a live longshot, but I don't buy it. He's taking a huge leap in class (after all, beating the likes of Congaree is far from nosing Euchre in an allowance race) and his victory margins haven't been convincing at all; look elsewhere.

4) Fleetstreet Dancer-Lost a heartbreaker in the Native Diver at 19-1. He has class written all over him, but I think he's in over his head.

5) Kela-He flopped badly in the Goodwood last out. Because of this flop, I honestly think he has no chance in here; midpack finish most likely.

6) Congaree-Ran his eyeballs out to the tune of a 120 Beyer in his Cigar Mile romp. He just widened at will in that one, but this is a much different track. While the abundance of early speed is evident, I'm confident enough to place him in exactas and trifectas.

Gotta run, I'll finish this up later.

Bubbles
01-03-2003, 11:37 AM
7) Hot Market-He won a state-bred stakes by three last out. While that win was impressive, there are better speed horses in this field; will fade with 3/8s left.

8) Piensa Sonando-Loved his Native Diver win, as he triumphed even after bearing out in the stretch. The expected speed duel will set up for his late kick; top pick.

9) Nose the Trade-Made a pretty good run in the 'Diver last out. However, his only work since the race was an absolute dud (1:02 and 2/5s handily for five furlongs) which makes me look elsewhere.

10) Mercenary-Got caught after reeling in the pacesetters in an open stakes at Golden Gate last out. However, his time was very good, and he sneaks in with 113 pounds; kinda interesting, gets Victor Espinoza, and at long odds, he could be a great exacta play with 'Sonando.

11) Euchre-The veteran of this group. He's a seven-year-old gelding who has earned over nine hundred grand. However, he hasn't won since July of 2001. Because of this fact, I believe that the sun is setting on a very good career.

I see it now...

1) Piensa Sonando
2) Mercenary
3) Congaree