Damn right they are.

shanta
10-03-2007, 06:15 AM
Yanks are favored? As it should be...

what are the odds makers smoking? Must be some real strong stuff

harnesslover
10-03-2007, 09:21 AM

I think they were favored the last 5 years as well, ;)

harnesslover
10-03-2007, 09:27 AM
what are the odds makers smoking? Must be some real strong stuff

It's not the oddsmakers, it's based on how they are being bet. Yankees always get overbet. As do the Red Sox.

Angels definitely an overlay, I think Yankees and Red Sox big underlays. Cubs a big underlay as well.

Probability of Sox or Yankees winning it all is probably the best, just not any value. I don't think I have ever seen a more evenly matched ALDS and NLDS than this year. There really would be no shocker in any of the 4 series.

But I'll give it a shot:

Sox in 4
Yankees in 5
Phillies in 4
Diamondbacks in 4

Sox over Yankees in 6
Diamondbacks over Phillies in 6

Sox in 7 over Diamondbacks for WS

skate
10-03-2007, 02:09 PM

yah, cause otherwise we'd have to hear all that crying:)

skate
10-03-2007, 02:14 PM
and the winner is;

50 on the rockies
30 on the diamonds
30 on the Phillies.

and the wheel -barrow is for the-skate.:cool:

shanta
10-09-2007, 10:03 AM
Interesting, as of today:
Yankees 7/5 to win AL Pennant

:bang: :bang:

Folks were smoking some real strong stuff

harnesslover
10-09-2007, 10:06 AM
:bang: :bang:

Folks were smoking some real strong stuff

was quite an odd turn of events.. Yankees started out preseason as the favorite to win it all.. They then hit rock bottom and were left for dead, then go on a sick run and have huge momentum, then get smoked out of the playoffs.. emotional rollercoaster for a yankee fan

kenwoodallpromos
10-09-2007, 11:37 AM
Long traditions and big population centers do not guarantee wins!!

whyhorseofcourse
10-09-2007, 11:46 AM
Go tribe!!!

harnesslover
10-09-2007, 12:20 PM
Long traditions and big population centers do not guarantee wins!!

Nor does a big payroll.. This is nuts, 1 team in the top 20 in payroll is left.. The other 3 are 23rd, 25th, 26th

RankTeam 2007

2 Red Sox$143,526,214

23 Indians$61,673,267

25 Rockies$54,424,000

26 D'backs$52,067,546

MikeDee
10-09-2007, 12:23 PM
love this thread, Indians ignored as per usual, here's hoping the Sox are looking past them as well

DanG
10-09-2007, 12:41 PM
love this thread, Indians ignored as per usual, here's hoping the Sox are looking past them as well
Both teams have their pitching set up perfectly as well. This should be a great series. :ThmbUp:

BTW: Anyone out there holding a Colorado / Cleveland future book bet…Salute; regardless of the outcomes.

harnesslover
10-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Both teams have their pitching set up perfectly as well. This should be a great series. :ThmbUp:

BTW: Anyone out there holding a Colorado / Cleveland future book bet…Salute; regardless of the outcomes.

Tough to figure how good Arizona is.. Cubs were a terrible, terrible playoff team, so not sure if that was easier than it should have been.

Colorado has to cool off SOMETIME... don't they??

The real interesting thing will be how the Indians offense does against Red Sox pitching.

BIG RED
10-09-2007, 04:57 PM

No Way, dude :cool:

I mentioned before the post season, the Tribe were the hottest team going in, which scares me. Now, after a sweep of the holy ones, we better get serious with Cleveland.

(The Bambino - jinx of Boston, no more / A-Rod jinx of New York, forever!!!)

46zilzal
10-09-2007, 09:53 PM
A-rod has hit something like .145 in all the divisional series since arriving in NYC.

shanta
10-10-2007, 11:50 AM
A-rod has hit something like .145 in all the divisional series since arriving in NYC.

That's real. Complete bust.

harnesslover
10-10-2007, 04:02 PM
this series they had no shot with the likes of this:

Jeter .176
Posada .133
Matsui .182

Wang 19.06 ERA in 2 starts

OTM Al
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
I love how sportswriters generally try to get us to see the negative side of baseball stats. Where is the credit for Cleveland pitching? Carmona and the majority of that bullpen was unbeliveably good and even old Paul Byrd managed to keep them off balance just enough. And how about some credit for the Cleveland hitters. You don't get 2 out hits like that if you aren't patient and very disciplined at the plate. Boston may be in for more of a fight than most figure, though I would have to pick Boston to win if pressed.

Rodriguez had an average series this year and an otherworldly series in 2004 (plus 3 good games in the ALCS before the wheels fell off the cart for the whole team) and he had 2 bad series in 2005 and 2006. He's also only one of 9 players. Only Damon and Cano really excelled in this series and many were far worse than Alex. Here's a number for you if you want to be so selective. Alex Rodriguez is 4 for 9 with a walk and a homerun in his last 2 playoff games. Thats a .500 on base and a .777 slugging average. For the whole series he had a .411 on base and a .467 slugging. The slugging is a little low, but he was by no means bad this time around

DanG
10-10-2007, 05:03 PM
I love how sportswriters generally try to get us to see the negative side of baseball stats. Where is the credit for Cleveland pitching? Carmona and the majority of that bullpen was unbeliveably good and even old Paul Byrd managed to keep them off balance just enough. And how about some credit for the Cleveland hitters. You don't get 2 out hits like that if you aren't patient and very disciplined at the plate. Boston may be in for more of a fight than most figure, though I would have to pick Boston to win if pressed.

Rodriguez had an average series this year and an otherworldly series in 2004 (plus 3 good games in the ALCS before the wheels fell off the cart for the whole team) and he had 2 bad series in 2005 and 2006. He's also only one of 9 players. Only Damon and Cano really excelled in this series and many were far worse than Alex. Here's a number for you if you want to be so selective. Alex Rodriguez is 4 for 9 with a walk and a homerun in his last 2 playoff games. Thats a .500 on base and a .777 slugging average. For the whole series he had a .411 on base and a .467 slugging. The slugging is a little low, but he was by no means bad this time around
I have to disagree there Al. He failed at the key moments, which is why baseball data can be so deceiving.

I used to watch Aubrey Huff (who I am NOT comparing to A-Rod btw) :eek: fill the back of his baseball card each year during a 6 week tear and on either side of lop-sided scores. Give me a team of 2-out, down by one, late inning RBI men and I'll take them over many who out stat them each year. A-Rod had a key at bat early in game-4 where a single turns that game around; while his late inning HR looks terrific, it wasn’t a decisive blow.

This Yankee team had several obstacles, not the least of which was nagging injuries due to age and the 10 week blitz they put on to make the show.

As you said; Cleveland’s pitching is legitimate and the core of that team is in their prime. They have had this run coming for several years now and the good fans of Cleveland should enjoy the ride! :ThmbUp:

harnesslover
10-10-2007, 06:35 PM

I don't think the sportswriters are 'picking on' A-roid, I think they simply expect more from the highest paid player in baseball.

I'm sorry, but youve got to step up i the postseason one of these days if you expect to be a $30 million man.

I ALMOST feel sorry for the guy, he had an absolutely insane regular season, probably one of the best all around ever, yet another lackluster post season will be what he's remembered for yet again this year.

OTM Al
10-11-2007, 09:47 AM
Dan, at least you make a good arguement, but I still can't agree. If a hitter could get a hit whenever he wanted to, he would bat 1.000. Every hitter has a hole in his swing and Byrd got him with a very nicely pitched strikeout and, if I remember right, a big popup that had Alex been all of about 1/4 inch higher on would have put out someone's teeth in the left field bleachers. So credit to Byrd in one instance and a push in the other as Byrd hung one and Alex just missed it.

Also, the home run should not be discounted. If you're down 4, you have to get yourself to down 3 before you have a chance to tie or go ahead. Giambi hit one of those so called meaningless homeruns in the 7th game of the 2003 ALCS if I remember correctly and you know what ended up happening there.

I really have to disagree on your assessment of the 2 out down 1 rbi guys. I do not believe in the so called clutch hitter. I believe there are good hitters who do not fold under pressure and continue to be good hitters and are able to hit well in such spots. Kenny Lofton would be a prime example of this from the past series. If you somehow hit better in such a situation, I would have to ask where you were the rest of the time. Because if you somehow manage to find a team of guys like that, you won't have enough of them on base to let someone knock them in.

Again, this is an issue that broadcasters and sports writers have beat into our heads over the years and its just not true. To many people these days seem to be analyzing baseball games with a football mentality and that just doesn't mesh

DanG
10-11-2007, 10:13 AM
Dan, at least you make a good arguement, but I still can't agree. If a hitter could get a hit whenever he wanted to, he would bat 1.000. Every hitter has a hole in his swing and Byrd got him with a very nicely pitched strikeout and, if I remember right, a big popup that had Alex been all of about 1/4 inch higher on would have put out someone's teeth in the left field bleachers. So credit to Byrd in one instance and a push in the other as Byrd hung one and Alex just missed it.

Also, the home run should not be discounted. If you're down 4, you have to get yourself to down 3 before you have a chance to tie or go ahead. Giambi hit one of those so called meaningless homeruns in the 7th game of the 2003 ALCS if I remember correctly and you know what ended up happening there.

I really have to disagree on your assessment of the 2 out down 1 rbi guys. I do not believe in the so called clutch hitter. I believe there are good hitters who do not fold under pressure and continue to be good hitters and are able to hit well in such spots. Kenny Lofton would be a prime example of this from the past series. If you somehow hit better in such a situation, I would have to ask where you were the rest of the time. Because if you somehow manage to find a team of guys like that, you won't have enough of them on base to let someone knock them in.

Again, this is an issue that broadcasters and sports writers have beat into our heads over the years and its just not true. To many people these days seem to be analyzing baseball games with a football mentality and that just doesn't mesh
Al, we agree very often on sports and various things, but on the issue of when an athlete delivers the knockout punch, we really are far apart. I believe there are true money athletes, horses, handicappers, Wall Street investors and then there are some who perform well, but often fail at the crucial moments.

I understand what you’re saying in terms of a run is a run, but in my opinion two players can have 90 RBI’s and yet have very different years and actual impact on wins and losses.

If I’m a GM I break down a potential hitter by quality of opposition they hit well against and game circumstances.

I’m not interested in paying for the dangerous hitter when it’s 9 - 2 or vice a versa, but the man who can up his concentration when down one in the ninth when a monster closer is throwing gas…That’s the guy I want in the dugout.

As far as “they should always be concentrating 110%”…In theory I completely agree, but my experience in athletics and / or handicapping for that matter is its just not possible for most humans.

I’m reminded of a kid we had on our senior league baseball team in Jersey. Real good kid who always busted his butt who was thrown out on a close play at first. On the way back to the dugout his dad yelled out…”Just run faster!”…If we could all just “run a little faster” at the proper moment, how much easier life would be. :)

OTM Al
10-11-2007, 10:46 AM
I don't think we are that far apart because in reading what you just wrote, I think we are in almost perfect agreement. You are right in that you don't want the guy that bats, say .300 in non pressure situations, but then bats .100 when the heat is on. You would much rather take the guy that hits .290 regardless. Yet somehow this idea of clutch that gets thrown around is there are guys out there that bat .200 with no pressure and .400 with pressure. I'd still rather have the .290 guy because odds are this so called clutch guy isn't even going to be up when I need him and he's much less likely to get rallies started.

And how can there be more pressure than elimination games in which you are behind? Those were the last 2 games and again, Alex was 4 for 9 with a walk. Yes, he could have hit a couple more and made the fans happy, but so could pretty much every guy on the team. I've watched him for the last 4 years and this guy plays all out all the time. One of the hits was an infield single. The Yankees were basically in elimination mode for 4 months of the season, so how can anyone tell me this guy isn't really a money athlete after doing what he did during this stretch.

Derek Jeter had an awful series compared to his norm and there's even sportswriters out there based solely on that that are muttering that his skills are in decline. Guess they forgot about the 200 hits 100 runs scored and .322 average. This sort of idiocy drives me nuts. When Casey Stengel got the Yankees in 1949, he looked at the team and said something like "There is far less wrong with this team than many I have seen". That is, without a doubt, what I see right now.

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 12:25 PM
Al, let's focus on his Yankee post season stats only for a moment. And let's see what all the hub-bub is about:

Cumulative postseason stats as a Yankee:

24 games, 94 AB, .244 Avg, 4 homers, 9 RBI, 22 K's,

Not HORRIBLE, not very good either.

Now, just for kicks, lets take out the 2004 post season, we are left with:

13 games, 44 AB, .144 avg, 1 HR, 1 RBI, 15 Ks

Now, all things being equal, if you are the superstar making $25 million per year, is a 3 year post season total of 1 rbi and 15Ks, along with a .144 average something that might or should be open to scrutiny?

OTM Al
10-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Now for kicks lets just take out all the hits he's gotten. Wow he was horrible a .000 average! Why would anyone want that guy?

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Now for kicks lets just take out all the hits he's gotten. Wow he was horrible a .000 average! Why would anyone want that guy?

So as a Yankee fan, you are pleased 4 postseason appearances that produced 9 rbi in 24 games from your $25 million player? Including 1 RBI in the past 3 years?

OTM Al
10-11-2007, 01:32 PM
You really need to stick to something simpler to understand like football. I think I would recommend you spend your time watching the Eagles, lets say, rather than baseball as the Phils didn't manage to win even one game this year. You know, I think I've told someone just like you that before.....hmmmmmmm.....you have a problem with Mr Rodriguez. Please go deal with it on your own.

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 01:37 PM
You really need to stick to something simpler to understand like football. I think I would recommend you spend your time watching the Eagles, lets say, rather than baseball as the Phils didn't manage to win even one game this year. You know, I think I've told someone just like you that before.....hmmmmmmm.....you have a problem with Mr Rodriguez. Please go deal with it on your own.

I could care less about A-roid, I actually find it quite comical that people try to defend his postseason struggles.

So, as a Yankee fan, you are pleased with 1 RBI in the past 13 post season games from your $25 million superstar?

Simple yes or no will suffice.

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I wouldn't mess with this guy! He KNOWS baseball! :lol:

I think whoever has to play the Angels has a BIG disadvantage. I don't see anyone beating them.

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 04:38 PM
I wouldn't mess with this guy! He KNOWS baseball! :lol:

I could only hope to contend with this line of brilliance:

"Epstein may be a boy genius but the extra day looks like a mistake for his team to choose it!

Steinbrenner could not have paid the Commissioner or Theo for a better set-up than this.

Seems like only a matter of time before we hear Michael Kay utter the famous words.

The Yankees Win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees Win!"

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 04:43 PM
WOW!

You send me a private message that says

I'm done responding to you on the public forum

And you come here and write more SH#%#%!

Are you bi-polar? Schizo? Or just plain looney? I look forward to reading the answer! :lol:

harnesslover
10-11-2007, 04:44 PM
WOW!

You send me a private message that says

I'm done responding to you on the public forum

And you come here and write more SH#%#%!

Are you bi-polar? Schizo? Or just plain looney? I look forward to reading the answer! :lol:

The Yankees Win! Theeeeeeeeeeeeeee Yankees Win

njcurveball
10-11-2007, 04:47 PM