PDA

View Full Version : Smart Car

betovernetcapper
10-01-2007, 07:54 PM
I've always lived in places where parking was impossible, but come Feb' I may be getting a drivers license. The Smart car is going to be on sale is the US.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/beherethen/_tDL09.jpg

It's 8.8 feet long-gets 40 MPG-is loaded with safety features and has a sticker price of $11,500. This product makes so much sense, i don't know why it hasn't been offered before. :)

JustRalph
10-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Bet, Let me say one thing about this car. As someone who has investigated many many accidents...........I don't care how many safety features it has.......... the laws of physics don't change. Profile and Mass are everything...........enough said.............

wonatthewire1
10-01-2007, 08:53 PM
try getting in one!

I've been and it ain't a lot of fun - not in America anyway

I believe Consumer's Reports designated the Canadian model as the worst car they have ever tested - and that includes Suzukis & for that price a Fit, Yaris or a Scion xD would be a much better choice.

:eek:

wonatthewire1
10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Ralph,

They are fine in the EU countries - smaller streets in cities and overall smaller cars because gas is so expensive...but in the US?

They can bury you in it if you get hit by a Yukon.

Though we said the same thing about Pintos and Mavericks too...

betovernetcapper
10-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Ralph, I don't know if I'd trust it on a highway,but it's prob' safe enough for city driving. Got to be safer than riding a bike. :)

boxcar
10-01-2007, 11:54 PM
Bet, Let me say one thing about this car. As someone who has investigated many many accidents...........I don't care how many safety features it has.......... the laws of physics don't change. Profile and Mass are everything...........enough said.............

Yeah but, JR, that skateboard is probably made out of heavier plastic than most cars. :rolleyes:

Boxcar

betovernetcapper
10-02-2007, 12:23 AM
In my neighborhood finding a parking space usually take 30 minutes to an hour. Screw it, it's worth the risk. Found this YouTube film of one hitting a cement wall at 70 MPH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju6t-yyoU8s&mode=related&search=

I can't help it, I love this car. :)

Telemicus
10-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Plus you can probably put it in your hallway if you don't have room outside.:)

JustRalph
11-23-2007, 05:00 AM
New Article on SmartCar

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21882844/

After watching that video, I can tell you that the fact that the concrete was angled toward one side of the road..........made a difference............

Lift that concrete up about 12 inches and don't angle it toward the side of the road........... and it would be worse...................not to mention the concrete was stationary...............and had no opposing engine to enter into the passenger compartment of the smart car.

~snippet~ From the article
Such strong sales are unlikely for the Fortwo, some analysts say. Even in Europe Smart has never been profitable. Daimler announced a restructuring of the division last year, when sales fell to 102,700 vehicles worldwide from 124,300 in 2005.

Not many U.S. subcompact cars sell in the 30,000-unit range. Close competitors like the Kia Rio and Scion xA sold 28,388 units and 32,603 units in 2006, respectively, while the significantly larger Scion xB sold 61,306 units and the popular Mini Cooper sold 39,171 units.

Another key issue is safety, particularly given the Smart Fortwo’s diminutive size. It is significantly smaller even than other subcompacts, so concerns about a collision with a large SUV or truck are likely to keep buyers away, analysts say. At 105.6 inches the Smart Fortwo is 45 inches shorter than a Yaris and 40 inches shorter than a Mini Cooper.

And at just 1,800 pounds, the Fortwo is 500 pounds lighter than any other subcompact, putting its occupants at a potentially significant disadvantage in a collision.

The Fortwo has a steel safety cage and four air bags, including two in front and two on the sides to protect the head and abdomen. It also has standard electronic stability control, which is designed to stop vehicles from swerving off the road, and Smart USA President Dave Schembri says the Fortwo is designed to get four out of five stars on U.S. crash tests and recently got four stars on an equivalent European test. The U.S. government will test the Smart car after it arrives on the market.

~snippet~

Tom
11-23-2007, 10:13 AM
The thing that struck me was that you would be eye levbel with the bumbpers of trucks.

Ouch.

Marshall Bennett
11-23-2007, 11:01 AM
I've always lived in places where parking was impossible, but come Feb' I may be getting a drivers license. The Smart car is going to be on sale is the US.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa62/beherethen/_tDL09.jpg

It's 8.8 feet long-gets 40 MPG-is loaded with safety features and has a sticker price of $11,500. This product makes so much sense, i don't know why it hasn't been offered before. :)
Just beware of mack trucks & gusty cross-winds !! Would make a nice sporty golf cart though .

Dick Schmidt
11-23-2007, 04:18 PM
When we were in GB this last Feb, we rented a Smart Car and drove all over Wales in it. It drives like any other small car, and you soon forget just how small it is. You sit at the same hight as other cars on the road. It was quite stable in crosswinds and big honking trucks blasting by at a combined speed of 110 MPH (with about 18 inches clearance and a rock wall on the other side. I love the small back roads of Britain) didn't bother it. A friend we stayed with for a couple of days has one and loves it. She can park it head in and it is short enough not to stick out past the other parked cars.

On the downside, it is SLOW. Has a tiny engine yet doesn't deliver fantastic gas mileage. Declined to crash test it, but Ralph is right; little car and big car meet at speed, little car loses. Handling is OK, but nothing to brag about. It is not a sports car. It is designed to trundle about in big European cities at 20 MPH. Parking head in, even in a tiny car, is usually against traffic regs in the US. Check before you try it.

My advice is to keep it off the interstates and main highways, stay under 50 and use it as it was designed. You should be safe enough in a "fender bender" type accident. Good luck and let us know how it works out.

Dick

Disclaimer: The above are the opinions of God as recited by my telepathic goldfish. Those who oppose them with be struck by lightning. Such an event will be reflected on their electrical bill.

Greyfox
11-23-2007, 04:52 PM
I think that Smart cars are a great idea and get more than 40 mpg.

Unfortunately, I've also seen a few tipped on their sides by teenagers or other wise guys.

overunder
11-25-2007, 11:39 AM
I think that Smart cars are a great idea and get more than 40 mpg.

Unfortunately, I've also seen a few tipped on their sides by teenagers or other wise guys.

I've seen hundreds of these things on the road, and never have I seen anyone tip one over. No different than any other small car. Greyfox you seem a little paranoid perhaps???

DJofSD
11-25-2007, 11:56 AM
They could have borrowed Buster from Adam and Jamie. Would have been more realistic in demonstrating the true effects of the crash and sudden deceleration -- likely massive head trama.