PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know the name of the guy all jockeys swear by?

kyle2227
09-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Hello there everyone. I was wondering if any one of you might happen to know / remember the name of the guy who I hear revolutionized dieting for jockeys. On the tv show "At the races" the other night Keith Jones was talking to one of the jockeys from Philadelphia Park I believe it was and he mentioned the name of a guy who helped the taller then normal (tall for being a jockey) current jockey loose the weight the right way to become a jockey. Keith Jones also mentioned that this guy is someone who a lot of jockeys know and swear by because he has some kind of dieting systems for jockeys to do it / things the right way. I am just wondering because I want to do it the right way myself so I would like to get in contact with this guy to see if he could help me come up with a diet to do things the right way and I can't remember his name. Thanks everyone.

njcurveball
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Try sending him an Email, he is a nice guy I bet he will answer you.

kjones@philadelphiapark.com

kyle2227
09-30-2007, 10:52 PM
good idea thanks buddy!

saevena
10-04-2007, 11:58 AM
I think I was standing about 5 feet from him as he gave his pitch to David Cohen after a race at Phila. Park Saturday. Don't know his name but he has black hair and wears glasses.

Greyfox
10-04-2007, 12:08 PM
Keith Jones also mentioned that this guy is someone who a lot of jockeys know and swear by because he has some kind of dieting systems for jockeys to do it / things the right way. .

Hi kyle2227.
As you know I'm a sceptic when it comes to anyone dieting to get down to a jockeys weight when they are not yet a jockey.
Below the normal body size mass ratio dieting leads to illness. There is no right way below the normal weight. Trouble looms.

http://home.fuse.net/clymer/bmi/

skate
10-04-2007, 02:48 PM
happy for that, thanks

kyle2227
10-07-2007, 12:21 AM
Well I tried to email him. No responce back as of yet but I will do some more research online about dieting. And Greyfox my good friend. I am glad you are looking out for me and trying to make me see I need to be realistic and help me to see it's going to be near impossible if not impossible for a 5'5" and a half male, lets just round it up and say 5'6" male, to loose the weight and keep it off without developing an eating disorder. But that is what makes me want to try and overcome the odds even harder.(by you saying those things) I can't wait until the day Greyfox, that you get to bet on me to win. And believe me I will ride in the 50/1 shot just for you Grey. I can't wait until the day I'm in the winners circle being interviewed on live tv and I get to say, "I owe it all to my good friend Greyfox." And I mean that bud. I love you Grey because you give me the best encouragement of all. And what I mean by that is every time you try and make me see how hard its going to be to loose the weight it just pushes me to try harder to overcome the odds even more. I can't wait until the day I am a jock!! Jockey school only a year away and I can't wait!!

njcurveball
10-07-2007, 01:35 AM
And Greyfox my good friend. I am glad you are looking out for me and trying to make me see I need to be realistic and help me to see it's going to be near impossible if not impossible for a 5'5" and a half male, lets just round it up and say 5'6" male, to loose the weight and keep it off without developing an eating disorder.

I like your passion. Have you considered contacting the Amateur Rider associations? Seems they have a few races at lots of tracks where jocks weigh around 130. If nothing else you could try it to get your foot in the door.

kyle2227
10-07-2007, 06:30 AM
This might sound dumb but I never heard of them before. I'll look them up. Thanks for the information.

Greyfox
10-07-2007, 09:50 AM
I like your passion. Have you considered contacting the Amateur Rider associations? Seems they have a few races at lots of tracks where jocks weigh around 130. If nothing else you could try it to get your foot in the door.

130 pound jockeys? Maybe overseas. Maybe in Boondocks Wyoming? Maybe harness racing? Maybe Merry-go-rounds.
But where are these "lots of tracks where jocks weigh around 130?"
Certainly none of the A or B level ovals that I bet at.

Pace Cap'n
10-07-2007, 10:23 AM
Did you catch the part about "amateur"?

Zman179
10-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Kyle could also be a steeplechase jockey, either here or overseas. They can get away with weighing around 135 lbs.

Kelso
10-07-2007, 09:17 PM

I saw one race at MTH each of the past two seasons. More than a few of those riders were enormous! My estimate would put 130 pounds as the median, although I was really more concerned for the higher center of gravity some of them had to balance on those miniscule saddles ... 5'6" and up.

Fun races, but real betting pools.

kyle2227
10-07-2007, 09:35 PM
I could be a jumping jockey i.e. a steeplechase jockey but don't they fall down a lot?

njcurveball
10-07-2007, 10:02 PM
130 pound jockeys? Maybe overseas. Maybe in Boondocks Wyoming? Maybe harness racing? Maybe Merry-go-rounds.
Certainly none of the A or B level ovals that I bet at.

Well so much for the kinder, gentler Pace Advantage board! :lol:

Here was my quote

Seems they have a few races at lots of tracks where jocks weigh around 130

A few races at lots of tracks is MUCH DIFFERENT than your LOTS OF TRACKS quote.

So please get the words straight before you fire off your bullets.

Here is a quote from the PEB website, you probably have never heard of him either.

PEB is also the founder and president of the Amateur Jockeys Association (http://www.amateurjockeys.org/), an organization which fosters the love of competitive racing by those who ride purely for the enjoyment of the sport.
"Racing started out with amateurs and erupted into the sport it is today," he said during one of his many visits to Saratoga Springs to work on "L'Etalon Vert." "The (amateur) sport is huge in Europe ... The problem in this country is the word 'amateur.' In France it means 'for pleasure'; in America it means 'doesn't know what they are doing," he laughed.

The AJA organizes races at almost every race track on the East Coast (including Saratoga) and features primarily exercise riders who have a passion for riding but not necessarily the opportunity or the size requirements to become professional jockeys.

Thanks!

njcurveball
10-07-2007, 10:40 PM
If you have charts, check out the 5th race at Phila Park on Sunday, September 9th.

9th at Laurel on 8/16, 3rd at Pimlico on 5/25, 2nd at Meadowlands on 9/11 to name a few for you at these "minor Boondocks Wyoming tracks". :lol:

Below is a link to the Meadowlands race.

http://www.thebigm.com/racingNewsDetail.asp?newsid=7345

Frederick Salvator, a New York-based exercise rider, captured the International Federation of Amateur Riders race on Tuesday afternoon at the Meadowlands.

Salvator was one of seven riders from six different countries to compete in the $18,000 event, part of the Fegentri Series for amateur riders.

Weight carried in the race ranged from 142 to 145

http://www.thebigm.com/fullchartsT.asp?racedt=9/11/2007

Greyfox
10-07-2007, 10:46 PM
Thankyou.
Greyfox

jotb
10-08-2007, 02:08 PM
Hello there everyone. I was wondering if any one of you might happen to know / remember the name of the guy who I hear revolutionized dieting for jockeys. On the tv show "At the races" the other night Keith Jones was talking to one of the jockeys from Philadelphia Park I believe it was and he mentioned the name of a guy who helped the taller then normal (tall for being a jockey) current jockey loose the weight the right way to become a jockey. Keith Jones also mentioned that this guy is someone who a lot of jockeys know and swear by because he has some kind of dieting systems for jockeys to do it / things the right way. I am just wondering because I want to do it the right way myself so I would like to get in contact with this guy to see if he could help me come up with a diet to do things the right way and I can't remember his name. Thanks everyone.

Hello Kyle2227:

If you want to find this guy right away, I suggest you do a search on this forum and type in "female jockey website". The person who runs the website (I believe his name is Chris) should be able to help. Send Chris an email and I'm sure he will find out for you.

Good luck,
Joe

Dick Schmidt
10-08-2007, 05:31 PM
Random thought on jockey's weight:

L. Pincay raced for years weighing between 125 and 135. We used to bet how much he would weigh on any given day and then go down to the scales at Santa Anita and watch him weigh in. His listed weight was always 119, but as long as he was over that, the track had no problem. I have personally seen him tip the scale at 137 (carrying his saddle and tack, of course) after winning the Santa Anita Handicap. He rode pretty good for an old fat guy.

Dick

I disapprove of every conspiracy of which I am not a part.

Pace Cap'n
10-08-2007, 05:45 PM
www.femalejockeys.com/ (http://www.femalejockeys.com/)

Zman179
10-08-2007, 07:15 PM
I could be a jumping jockey i.e. a steeplechase jockey but don't they fall down a lot?

Well, yeah. But look at it this way: at 130 lbs., you'll have a little extra padding to fall on.

I wouldn't suggest becoming an amateur rider simply because of the fact that they cannot accept payment for their rides; they have to donate their percentage earned in order to keep their amateur status. Unless you plan on having a traditional job and riding as an amateur just for kicks.

The only other option is to become an exercise rider. They can get away with weighing a little more, but they rarely get to compete in an actual race because of their weight.

dutchboy
10-08-2007, 08:07 PM
Think it was Pincay who flew cross country and was seen to ask for a bag of peanuts on the flight. Opened the package, ate 1 peanut, and threw the rest away. His avg calorie intake per day was mentioned to be 800-1000.

Random thought on jockey's weight:

L. Pincay raced for years weighing between 125 and 135. We used to bet how much he would weigh on any given day and then go down to the scales at Santa Anita and watch him weigh in. His listed weight was always 119, but as long as he was over that, the track had no problem. I have personally seen him tip the scale at 137 (carrying his saddle and tack, of course) after winning the Santa Anita Handicap. He rode pretty good for an old fat guy.

Dick

I disapprove of every conspiracy of which I am not a part.