PDA

View Full Version : Mike Smith bashing bettors better beware

Indulto
09-30-2007, 07:28 PM
... as bigger bobber barely beats smaller challenger who -- carrying 3 more pounds and losing ground -- may have been best in best stretch duel since Preakness:

http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41060 (http://racing.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=41060)
Tiago Terrific in Goodwood, Earns Classic Ticket
by Jack Shinar

… the 3-year-old colt delivered a desperate nose victory over the unlucky Awesome Gem …

With Mike Smith aboard, the new millionaire Tiago emerged from between horses with the lead mid-stretch but was quickly engaged on the outside by Awesome Gem. In a terrific finish, Tiago kept his head barely in front until the final strides. Awesome Gem, under frantic right-handed urging by David Flores, appeared to just get his nose in front in the final jump, but the bigger Tiago prevailed in the head bob at the wire.

“You ain't seen him get good yet," an enthusiastic Smith said afterward. "Wait ‘till he gets good! He had to win ‘dirty’ today. We had to push our way out going to the three-eighth’s pole. He just had to make his own room, because I didn’t want Awesome Gem to get the jump on us. It slowed him down, but I just felt that we had to move at that time. Wow, he ran great.”

… Pity Awesome Gem, who has suffered through three successive second-place finishes in graded stakes

… "I had my eye on Tiago when he broke, and I just wanted to stay with him," Flores said. "I didn’t want him to go too easy in front of me. I just wanted to stay in his lap and then attack him when it was time. So when I attacked him at the three-eighths pole, he pushed me out because he’s such a big horse. I tried to keep him in, but he just pushed me out like nothing. My horse is certainly not as big, but he was aggressive. He was fighting. He fought back.Straight from the horses' mouths' reins-holders. ;)

How big will Tiago be as a 4YO?

What are the odds on Flores' riding Awesome Gem in the BC?

the_fat_man
09-30-2007, 07:31 PM
"Pity Awesome Gem, who has suffered through three successive second-place finishes in graded stakes "

Just got beat by a head for the 2nd day in a row in the 2nd half of the late double at BEL (yesterday paying $50, today ~ $150, as the horse in the 11th was 24:1 --these were both ONE number affairs)

so, gonna have to take a pass on pitying the plug :ThmbUp:

Carry on, Indulto

gIracing
10-01-2007, 05:45 AM
How big will Tiago be as a 4YO?

Huge. i said it somewhere else a month ago.. I doubt he looses next year. IMHO, he's one of the best horses in the world on dirt...NOW. let alone when 80% of the top of the class leaves to the shed.

also, most pleasant tap's don't really hit stride until late until their 4YO year.. I.e david junior, pleasantly perfect and premium tap.

should be raking in the dough next year

russowen77
10-01-2007, 08:05 AM
Huge. i said it somewhere else a month ago.. I doubt he looses next year. IMHO, he's one of the best horses in the world on dirt...NOW. let alone when 80% of the top of the class leaves to the shed.

also, most pleasant tap's don't really hit stride until late until their 4YO year.. I.e david junior, pleasantly perfect and premium tap.

should be raking in the dough next year

Fine eye you have. Pleasant Taps average earnings based by year.
2yo- 0.71--3yo-1.23 4yo- 1.33 5and up --2.00--

Anytime a horse has a 2 something for earning they can flat throw some good stock for that age range. This animal could be a real monster and he is not going to be a designer stallion(precociousness) so we will probably get a chance to see him run for awhile.

lilmegahertz
10-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Pleasantly Perfect was one of my alltime favs. That battle between him and Megdalia D'Oro in Dubai headed toward the wire was absolutely breathtaking.

And I do think that if they can keep Tiago sound then we will be seeing some spectacular races next year. He looks like he is really coming into his own lately and looks great. I'm also keeping an eye out for Curlin. On another chat I admitted that he just might be one of the better horses in his 4yo campaign. Wow...in my mind next year should really be something....

Tom
10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
Tiago.
Winless outside California.
Two of four wins on late favoring artificial surfaces.

Best dirt horse in the world???????
Looks more like Lava Man than anything.

He might be a good one, but he has yet to prove himself.

Drift
10-01-2007, 12:15 PM
I would be stunned to see Curlin run next year. I don't think that is gonna happen. It'd be great-but you're dreaming.

lilmegahertz
10-01-2007, 03:09 PM
tee hee A girl can dream can't she? In this day and age to see anyone run after their 3yo campaign is truly mindboggleing. True, I don't think we will see him next year but I would like to see how well he fares if given that chance. But if wishes were winning tickets..........