PDA

View Full Version : Going to LA in a bit

chickenhead
09-30-2007, 06:37 PM
Going to make a trek down to Hollywood Park (and Los Al while I'm there)...

anyone want to give me suggestions on which area to stay, places to see, etc etc?

Thanks

JustRalph
09-30-2007, 06:45 PM
Going to make a trek down to Hollywood Park (and Los Al while I'm there)...

anyone want to give me suggestions on which area to stay, places to see, etc etc?

Thanks

the neighborhood around Hollywood park is dangerous........fyi

o0xst!
09-30-2007, 06:56 PM
Eat at Versailles....I love that place. Excellent Cuban food....that and Canters which is a ol' Jaaaaaaawish deli down the street from Versailles...

DJofSD
09-30-2007, 07:04 PM
Yep, I'll second what JR told you. It's been more than 10 years since I've journeyed north to my old digs (Manhattan Beach) and to HOL. And when I'd go to HOL, I'd never stay for the entire card and I'd get out of Dodge when there was not a lot of traffic and the sun was still up.

What things are of interest, chickenhead?

chickenhead
09-30-2007, 07:05 PM
found them on the web, thanks...sounds good.

I'm looking to stay in an area that is nice, yet not filled with "the beautiful people". I distrust the beautiful people.

Which of the coastal communities is the least pretentious?

DJ - just saw your post -- I like unique things, any unique flavor/scene that I won't find elsewhere is of interest.

DJofSD
09-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Well then stay away from Malibu, Pacific Palisades and environs. Venice used to be interesting but I hear it's been yuppie-fied. Manhattan, Hermosa and Redondo are my old stomping grounds both as a child and adult, so I can't give an unbiased opinion.

Off the top of my head, what I would go see, now, is the old barn that Walt Disney used before he built Disneyland. Most don't know he was an advid model train enthusiast and built running scale steam trains. The barn was saved and moved to Griffith Park.

CALTECH and the areas surrounding it in Pasadena has a unique charm but again, over the years it has changed. But if your interested in period architechure and sometimes absolutely beautiful landscaping, it's worth a half of day.

And see if you can catch Carlos Mencia.

chickenhead
09-30-2007, 07:41 PM
good stuff DJ.

Tom
09-30-2007, 08:10 PM
f

I'm looking to stay in an area that is nice, yet not filled with "the beautiful people".

Minnesota. :rolleyes:

GameTheory
09-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Hollywood Park? Yuck. Go to Santa Anita.

chickenhead
09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
I've been to Santa Anita.

GameTheory
09-30-2007, 08:25 PM
I've been to Santa Anita.Go back.

chickenhead
09-30-2007, 08:30 PM
I plan on it, they just don't happen to be running in November when it's convenient for me to go to LA.

Maybe after going to Hollywood, I won't want to go to Hollywood anymore...but since I haven't been there, I still want to go.

GameTheory
09-30-2007, 08:44 PM
I plan on it, they just don't happen to be running in November when it's convenient for me to go to LA.

Maybe after going to Hollywood, I won't want to go to Hollywood anymore...but since I haven't been there, I still want to go.In that case, you might consider eating here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-a&q=ihop&near=Inglewood,+CA&fb=1&cid=0,0,12945217324677529309&ll=33.960768,-118.347666&spn=0.012957,0.020084&z=16&iwloc=A&om=1

chickenhead
09-30-2007, 09:02 PM
Hollywood is the IHOP of racetracks? Or you're trying to get me shot? Not sure I follow...

it's not really that bad is it?

GameTheory
09-30-2007, 09:08 PM
Hollywood is the IHOP of racetracks? Or you're trying to get me shot? Not sure I follow...

it's not really that bad is it?I'm just saying -- since you'll be in the neighborhood, you might as well get some yummy pancakes. Can't go wrong with yummy pancakes...

JustRalph
09-30-2007, 10:33 PM
Hollywood Park is either 30 minutes from the coast or two hours.......depending on what time of day you go.......... :lol:

do you have to stay on the coast?

kenwoodallpromos
09-30-2007, 10:36 PM
I suppose for girl-watching UCLA is close by.

Sailwolf
09-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Hollywood Park is either 30 minutes from the coast or two hours.......depending on what time of day you go.......... :lol:

do you have to stay on the coast?

The air quality may get him if he does not stay near the coast

DJofSD
09-30-2007, 10:54 PM
In Glendale, I can recomend this (http://www.hotels.com/property.do?COYear=2007&searchID=AC102644-5DDB-6E91-1552-2640585970EE&propertyIdsToCompareString=&destination=08EBDF1A-AE3E-49C5-8660-C291B0D40CFF%7CCD4003DE-005A-486F-A7D0-9C977C7371FB%7CGlendale%2C+CA%2C+USA%7C1&mtnHotelID=287879&numrooms=1&roomOccupancyString=1%7C%7C2%7C0%7C0&searchMtmPropertySupplierId=&PSRC=G21&usertypedcity=Glendale%2C+CA&paging=1&alternateSell=&searchType=&sortBy=HCOMPICK&CIMonth=-1&CODay=-1&allPropertyTypesSelected=true&COMonth=-1&TSRC=1&CIYear=2007&CIDay=-1) hotel.

And this (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=E5D9za%2fFkjrM4v5Jnpzf3Q%3d%3d&longitude=wwoaGV%2fL8%2b0w89kdaCCDeg%3d%3d&name=Le%20Petite%20Patisserie&country=US&address=1017%20N%20Brand%20Blvd&city=Glendale&state=CA&zipcode=91202&phone=818%2d550%2d1755&spurl=0&&q=Restaurants&qc=%28All%29%20Restaurants) resturant.

Tom
10-01-2007, 12:10 AM
I think there's a DENNYs on the corner of Florence and Normandy.

(Reginald Denny!) :eek:

Hosshead
10-01-2007, 06:49 AM
In Glendale, I can recomend this (http://www.hotels.com/property.do?COYear=2007&searchID=AC102644-5DDB-6E91-1552-2640585970EE&propertyIdsToCompareString=&destination=08EBDF1A-AE3E-49C5-8660-C291B0D40CFF%7CCD4003DE-005A-486F-A7D0-9C977C7371FB%7CGlendale%2C+CA%2C+USA%7C1&mtnHotelID=287879&numrooms=1&roomOccupancyString=1%7C%7C2%7C0%7C0&searchMtmPropertySupplierId=&PSRC=G21&usertypedcity=Glendale%2C+CA&paging=1&alternateSell=&searchType=&sortBy=HCOMPICK&CIMonth=-1&CODay=-1&allPropertyTypesSelected=true&COMonth=-1&TSRC=1&CIYear=2007&CIDay=-1) hotel.

And this (http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?latlongtype=internal&addtohistory=&latitude=E5D9za%2fFkjrM4v5Jnpzf3Q%3d%3d&longitude=wwoaGV%2fL8%2b0w89kdaCCDeg%3d%3d&name=Le%20Petite%20Patisserie&country=US&address=1017%20N%20Brand%20Blvd&city=Glendale&state=CA&zipcode=91202&phone=818%2d550%2d1755&spurl=0&&q=Restaurants&qc=%28All%29%20Restaurants) resturant.Also in Glendale is one of the few Bob's Big Boys left.
And if you go to Hollypark, dress for the occasion. - Kevlar

o0xst!
10-01-2007, 10:40 AM
Im going to Nashville tomorrow, any suggestions about that place?

DJofSD
10-01-2007, 10:49 AM
Also in Glendale is one of the few Bob's Big Boys left.

That brought back some memories. Occasionally my family would go out to eat and that was one of the favorite spots. Hamburger with one of those large chocolate shakes in the tall silver goblet -- yum!

JustRalph
10-01-2007, 01:20 PM

yeah, there are no racetracks in Nashville........get out of the thread.

delayjf
10-01-2007, 03:55 PM
Chickenhead,

It's not that Hollywood Park it's self is bad. It's just in a bad part of town. If you want to visit a nice beach, Huntington has a nice downtown area with some nice bars and restaurants. Newport Beach can be a bit seedy more of surfers town, If your bringing your wife or guest, Laguna Beach is very nice and a bit more upscale, nice art galleries with some good clean reasonable restaurants. My recommendation for a good meal at a beautiful restaurant over looking the ocean,

Sat. brunch at Las Brisas on the PCH
http://www.lasbrisaslagunabeach.com/

GameTheory
10-01-2007, 04:12 PM
Newport Beach seedy? Last I checked that area was on the top of the list for lowest crime rate in the country.

Here's a good restaurant:

http://www.louises.com/loc_losfeliz.html

DJofSD
10-01-2007, 04:22 PM
GT, you've got to understand, Jeff is a top draw kind of guy, so, all things being relative, it's seedy! :D

skate
10-01-2007, 05:21 PM
great Hwys out there but tast, depends on where you are from.

when you move, you do so in the Off Off hours. like 12 till 3 AM.

delayjf
10-01-2007, 07:06 PM
GT,

Let me qualify that a bit. There are some beautiful homes on NB and Balboa Island and some great restaurants . But when you go to the bar scene down on the beach, it gets a little run down compared to Laguna Beach which is more artsy fartsy. More of a younger (surfer dude) crowd at Newport Beach than at Laguna. It's actually more my scene, but I can't get my wife to go down there anymore, but that's another story :eek: :cool:

GameTheory
10-02-2007, 01:18 AM
GT,

Let me qualify that a bit. There are some beautiful homes on NB and Balboa Island and some great restaurants . But when you go to the bar scene down on the beach, it gets a little run down compared to Laguna Beach which is more artsy fartsy. More of a younger (surfer dude) crowd at Newport Beach than at Laguna. It's actually more my scene, but I can't get my wife to go down there anymore, but that's another story :eek: :cool:Laguna is very high-end, no doubt. That's probably where the richest people are -- even richer than the rich celebrities that live up in Malibu. Maybe chickenhead should split the difference and visit El Segundo. :D (Or "El Stinko" as my dad apparently called it when he lived in Manhattan Beach for a while as a kid.)

Indulto
10-02-2007, 01:58 AM
Laguna is very high-end, no doubt. That's probably where the richest people are -- even richer than the rich celebrities that live up in Malibu. Maybe chickenhead should split the difference and visit El Segundo. :D (Or "El Stinko" as my dad apparently called it when he lived in Manhattan Beach for a while as a kid.)I don't know if this place is in El Segundo, but it's real close and less than 20 min from HOL. My buddy and I used to go here for Sunday Brunch before going to HOL in the afternoon. It's a real gas the first time.

http://ipmslondon.tripod.com/museumreviews/id20.html (http://ipmslondon.tripod.com/museumreviews/id20.html)
The Proud Bird Restaurant
11022 Aviation Boulevard
Los Angeles, California 90045
(310) 670-3093

Directions: North on Aviation Boulevard from Imperial Highway or south on Aviation Boulevard from West Century Boulevard to 111th Street - restaurant is on northeast corner of Aviation Boulevard and 111th.

And now for something completely different! While Kim and I were in Los Angeles recently, the shuttle bus taking us to our rental car from LAX drove by a restaurant right by the end of the southern runways. What made this restaurant different was the fact that the courtyard and parking lot were full of airplanes - P-51s, Corsairs, Dauntlesses, and more. We made a date to eat lunch there before heading back to the airport for our return flight.http://www.theproudbird.com/
Opened in the early 1960’s, the Proud Bird Restaurant offers its guests a fabulous dining experience with a “one of a kind” view. Located right next to one of Los Angeles International Airport’s approach runways, the restaurant provides diners with a front row view of airplanes making their landing. Along with the view, the restaurant’s atmosphere contributes to the unique dining experience. Themed after the era surrounding World War II, when you step through the front door you will feel as if you have stepped back in time.http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Stick/A4/ProudBird/ProBird.htm (http://www.blueangels.org/Aircraft/Stick/A4/ProudBird/ProBird.htm)

http://msxml.infospace.com/_1_2SCRU9604LNCD4B__swbd.main/search/web/%22Proud%2BBird%22+

racko
10-02-2007, 11:03 AM
Hollywood park is in a bad neighborhood. Be careful. I also wonder what the "shrinkage" is at the Costco next to HP 6f starting gate?

bigmack
10-02-2007, 01:35 PM
This whole "Hollywood Park area is dangerous - Be careful" is silly. It's fine. You zip in, you zip out, it's like going into Rhode Island. LAPD shows no serious crimes in the area for the last several days :rolleyes:
http://www.lapdonline.org/crimemap/

While it's a tad loud with its proximity to LAX, El Segundo is a delightful town with all the charm of Mayberry, complete with Sunday band concerts in the park.

While the asphalt jungle of LA can beat you down and leave a sour taste for many tourists, there are no shortage of areas that are positively ducky

skate
10-02-2007, 01:36 PM

:D

skate
10-02-2007, 01:41 PM
Minnesota. :rolleyes:

OR perhaps, Rangoon, nice, this time of the year.;)

Indulto
10-02-2007, 04:12 PM
This whole "Hollywood Park area is dangerous - Be careful" is silly. It's fine. You zip in, you zip out, it's like going into Rhode Island. LAPD shows no serious crimes in the area for the last several days :rolleyes:
http://www.lapdonline.org/crimemap/

While it's a tad loud with its proximity to LAX, El Segundo is a delightful town with all the charm of Mayberry, complete with Sunday band concerts in the park.

While the asphalt jungle of LA can beat you down and leave a sour taste for many tourists, there are no shortage of areas that are positively duckyBgM,
"Zip" is what it's all about. A car breakdown outside SA is not the challenge that one outside HOL can be.

Does LAPD patrol Inglewood? Didn't the big flap a few years ago about the police allegedly slamming a teenager onto their vehicle take place right across from HOL?

Look, the last thing I want to do is discourage anyone from going there. I do most weekends, but I am always prepared for trouble and Friday nights there are no picnic for Seniors.

HOL's biggest negative is the traffic problem, especially during rush hours. Once you're inside, the clubhouse and paddock area are nice places to be. I hang out in the smoke-free room for simulcasts. You can even hear the race calls in there.

I'd consider moving to El Segundo if it weren't for the airport on one side and the refinery on the other.

BlueShoe
10-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Since Los Al was mentioned,perhaps staying in the OC might not be a bad idea.Hollypark would still be reasonably close by.Just about any area within the city limits of LA is a virtual Third World nation,with a few exceptions such as mentioned earlier.Some parts of Orange County,such as Santa Ana and parts of Anaheim,also not advisable,but OC a better bet than LA as far as safety concerns.

DJofSD
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
chickenhead, would the possible visit to HOL by on a weekday or weekend?

GameTheory
10-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Since Los Al was mentioned,perhaps staying in the OC might not be a bad idea.Hollypark would still be reasonably close by.Just about any area within the city limits of LA is a virtual Third World nation,with a few exceptions such as mentioned earlier.Some parts of Orange County,such as Santa Ana and parts of Anaheim,also not advisable,but OC a better bet than LA as far as safety concerns.There are lots of nice areas inside L.A. -- most people don't realize how huge the city is because each section has its own name. Woodland Hills, Encino, Sherman Oaks, West L.A., Westwood, Bel Air, Brentwood, Hollywood, Los Feliz, Venice, etc etc are all part of the city of Los Angeles. Beverly Hills is its own city, an island in the middle of L.A. Santa Monica, Burbank, & Glendale are also separate cities...

chickenhead
10-02-2007, 09:16 PM
chickenhead, would the possible visit to HOL by on a weekday or weekend?

probably both Friday/Saturday

I just don't want to stay where I'll end up with a 2 hr drive to the track, mainly. But I don't want to be able to buy crack outside the hotel, either. (Maybe in the alley behind, or down the block a bit, but not right in front. I need the exercise.)

GameTheory
10-02-2007, 09:23 PM
I just don't want to stay where I'll end up with a 2 hr drive to the track, mainly. But I don't want to be able to buy crack outside the hotel, either. (Maybe in the alley behind, or down the block a bit, but not right in front. I need the exercise.)It is a 2 hour drive from anywhere to anywhere in L.A.. And you can get drugs near any hotel -- just different drugs depending on the hotel.

chickenhead
10-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I guess I'll just have to resign myself to the idea that my trip to Hollywood won't be as idyllic as my trip to SA, where I stayed right across the street from the track and walked over every am, afterwards a 2 minute drive to The Derby for din-din.

But, I did run out of crack and wasn't able to reload without great effort....everything's a trade off I guess.

DJofSD
10-02-2007, 09:40 PM
I would expect on Friday, they'd be running under the lights. I've never been there at night. During the day on a Saturday should be OK.

The freeways in LA can be congested and as it has already been mentioned, on the wrong day during the wrong time, a 30 minute drive can take twice as long. Just don't expect to get any where fast during the normal commuter hours.

If you do end up staying elsewhere in LA just make sure you become famalar with where HOL is and plan the drive to use the Century FWY or the 405. Cutting across from the 110 (Harbor FWY) can be done but I would not recommend it. Just remember the sun sets in the west and LAX is to the west of HOL, so, when you leave you should be able to get your bearings easily.

If you were to stay in areas like Santa Monica or Marina del Rey down to Manhattan Beach or areas between those points, you should be OK and not that far away. Heck, having lived in LA for 21 years, I'd even tell you that taking the surface streets from the aforementioned areas to the track is fairly easy.

chickenhead
10-02-2007, 09:45 PM
I have a sixth sense about being able to find the slums in any city I go to, generally any big city I arrive in it's the first place I go, whether I plan on it or not. So HollyParks placement is pretty good for me, actually.

keilan
10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Chic........ come to Northlands Park and I promise to take you somewhere seedy afterwards. Besides we have chalk here too :)

DJofSD
10-02-2007, 10:23 PM
I have a sixth sense about being able to find the slums in any city I go to, generally any big city I arrive in it's the first place I go, whether I plan on it or not. So HollyParks placement is pretty good for me, actually.

Sounds like an idea for a take off of "Man v. Wild". They blind fold you, drop you out of a moving van then let you find your way back to the hotel room. You come up with a new name!

Tom
10-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I have a sixth sense about being able to find the slums in any city I go to, generally any big city I arrive in it's the first place I go, whether I plan on it or not. So HollyParks placement is pretty good for me, actually.:lol: When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! :lol: