PDA

View Full Version : Arc de Triomphe

Zman179
09-28-2007, 01:18 PM
Is anybody here going to the Arc this year on October 7? I booked tickets earlier to go to Paris and just found out that the Arc will be taking place on my arrival date. :jump: Wouldn't mind hooking up with a fellow player.

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 01:24 PM
They have an amazing program for that contest. In depth pedigree and mention of all stakes action.

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 01:30 PM
The sponsor has changed a few times of late. Orthopedic guy next door went every year and brought back a program for me.

cj
09-28-2007, 01:51 PM
There is a very good chance I'm going this year. I'll let you know for sure via PM early next week.

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 02:18 PM
I have never seen a HEAD ON there, but I get the impression that the stretch gets WIDER closer to the finishing post. Is that true??

toetoe
09-29-2007, 04:39 PM
zee,

Bon voyage, and save your program. :ThmbUp:

Humph
09-29-2007, 05:06 PM
Is anybody here going to the Arc this year on October 7? I booked tickets earlier to go to Paris and just found out that the Arc will be taking place on my arrival date. :jump: Wouldn't mind hooking up with a fellow player.

I so jealous because there is some fantastic racing at Longchamp next weekend.

Kingsgate Native ( a 2-Y-O ) takes on older horses in the L'Abbaye. The Bousaac , as always, will be one of the juvenile races of the season. The Cadran usually features the best of the Euro stayers. And then there's the Arc itself ; even without Manduro, it will be some race.

Again, I'm jealous.

Zman179
09-29-2007, 07:36 PM
CJ: Very well. I look forward to your response. :ThmbUp:

Zilzal & Toetoe: I'll make sure to save the program. If you're interested, I can pick up some programs (when the races are over) and mail them to you.

Humph: Don't be too jealous. True, the first six races on the card are all Group 1's, but Longchamp is expecting 55,000 to 60,000 people and all the reserved seats are sold out. The races will be, on average, every 35 minutes. So it'll be a small endurance test.

Funny, I live 10 minutes from Belmont Park, but yet I've never been to a Breeders' Cup nor a Belmont Stakes. Yet, I'm traveling 4,000 miles to see a top-notch card (even though it fell in my lap.) :rolleyes:

highnote
09-29-2007, 08:39 PM
Sorry if this sounds like a plug -- be sure to check out nickmordin.com for his analysis of the Arc card.

He always does a nice job.

This link on his site talks about one of the Arc prep races. Very interesting. http://www.nickmordin.com/france.htm

dylbert
09-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Only good reason that I can think of to go to Paris is ARC! I have never been, but it is on my list of things to do before I die.

Does anyone know if there is US pool to bet Arc? Curious here, thanks.

Zman179
09-29-2007, 10:17 PM

Yup. Quite a few ADW's are taking the Arc including AmericaTab.

cj
09-30-2007, 01:58 AM
Paris is a GREAT city to visit. I've been to the Arc twice, but to Paris about 20 times. I've been to hundreds of cities around the world, and it is one of my favorites.

Only good reason that I can think of to go to Paris is ARC! I have never been, but it is on my list of things to do before I die.

Zman179
09-30-2007, 05:35 AM
I'm in full agreement, CJ. I've been to Paris about 15 times and still can't get enough of the place. My dream is to move there which is why I'm doing full-time school and work right now to try to get my degree.

One thing though, Dylbert. Once you eat there, you'll never look at food the same way again.

Humph
09-30-2007, 07:39 AM
Any thoughts on what's going to win the Arc, Zman ?

Favorite Authorized beat 2nd fav Soldier Of Fortune out of sight in the English Derby, but SOF looks to have improved since, imho - his performances on the clock back this up - and things could be a lot closer this time. Neither should be inconvenienced by the forecast soft going.

Zambezi Sun leads the home challenge and has, apparently, been working great at home.

Dylan Thomas is a very good older turf horse. There is a theory that he doesn't like soft going, but that is questionable, imho, because he put up a very good performance on the surface at Ascot earlier in the year.

Mandesha is a talented older filly who could hit the board.

cj
09-30-2007, 10:05 AM
Soldier of Fortune won the Irish Derby on a bog of a course. I was there that day. His last race I didn't find nearly as impressive. I think Authorized will be pretty close to a lock. Older horses have not done very well in this race in recent years.

point given
09-30-2007, 10:34 AM

Lee Tomlinson has a group over in england now, who will also be chunneling, to the Arc. You might run into them there , or email him at mudders and turfers. He does the ratings numbers for drf. Have a blast.

DJofSD
09-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I've been to Paris about 15 times and still can't get enough of the place.

I know, I know, thread drift but I see this as an opportunity to solicit some information.

I am in the beginning stages of planning my first overseas trip. To where? Paris!

My son has a limited summer vacation due to the schedule the local school district keeps, so, it'll be late July/August (and, yes, damn it, I'll be missing part of DMR).

Anything you might offer as an experienced traveler going to Paris that many times?

Zman179
09-30-2007, 01:58 PM
DJ: Sure. Send me a PM detailing some of your interests (obviously one'll be the ponies) and I'll try to help.

Southieboy
09-30-2007, 11:00 PM
The races will air on HRTV in the states

46zilzal
10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
Zilzal & Toetoe: I'll make sure to save the program. If you're interested, I can pick up some programs (when the races are over) and mail them to you.
Would appreciate that mucho.....Will await your triumphant return!!

the little guy
10-01-2007, 10:37 PM
I think the programs were free when I went a couple years ago.

I'm jealous. I had a great time in Paris. Have fun......it won't be hard.

Walter
10-04-2007, 08:41 AM
Any thoughts on what's going to win the Arc, Zman ?

Favorite Authorized beat 2nd fav Soldier Of Fortune out of sight in the English Derby, but SOF looks to have improved since, imho - his performances on the clock back this up - and things could be a lot closer this time. Neither should be inconvenienced by the forecast soft going.
Authorized has never raced right-handed and SOF has pacemaker/s..Saddex good bet.

Walter
10-04-2007, 09:25 AM
Andre Fabre as entered Getaway with Peslier riding......for you breeding experts you may want to check out the sire Monusun. :ThmbUp:

jfdinneen
10-04-2007, 01:38 PM
Below are peer performance ratings for all contenders in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe.

Best wishes,

John

Humph
10-05-2007, 07:17 AM
Authorized has never raced right-handed

Authorized finished 2nd in the this season's Eclipse at Sandown which is a right-handed track. And it wasn't the course's turns that beat him that day, more the messy nature of the race.

gIracing
10-05-2007, 07:30 AM
for the money I'd take youmzain

Walter
10-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Humph....Sorry my mistake that should have read Authorized never WON right handed..the best prep-race is the Prix De Neil so that makes SOF win and Saddex to place. Good Luck.

Humph
10-05-2007, 11:40 AM
Humph....Sorry my mistake that should have read Authorized never WON right handed..the best prep-race is the Prix De Neil so that makes SOF win and Saddex to place. Good Luck.

Interesting runner Saddex, imo. He's in the 2 box - against the rail - and things can get nasty at Longchamp on the inside when runners hit the turns if you're in behind. He is, imo, one of the more likely ones to jump and put the pace to the race.

46zilzal
10-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Until very recently, this race was a mirror of the majority of European turf contests: cantor along for three quarters, speed up a bit, then run like hell. SO predictable that it was almost boring.

Then Cauthen and Asmussen arrived and showed the local riders that there were other ways to win on the turf.

Humph
10-05-2007, 12:01 PM
Until very recently, this race was a mirror of the majority of European turf contests: cantor along for three quarters, speed up a bit, then run like hell. SO predictable that it was almost boring.

Then Cauthen and Asmussen arrived and showed the local riders that there were other ways to win on the turf.

And Frankie Dettori got a European no-hoper home in the BC Turf last year because he had the awareness not to get mixed up in a ridiculous speed dual .

As for the Aforementioned US Jockeys, Asmussen could only ride one way - from off the pace, and he messed that up on plenty of occasions. Cauthen was class who, even though it took him a while to adjust Europeon racing, could do anything. Lester Piggott was riding the European tracks long before either of them rode a winner and was better than the two of them put together from the front, stalking, closing - you name it.

46zilzal
10-05-2007, 12:04 PM
That statement was not to denigrate Piggot or others who knew how to win, only to make the notion, noticed by the racing press, that the injection of a new style made the product better.

Since I am a photo finish operator, a story I heard about Piggot is germane. He noticed that all the horses passing the post at Haydock on the outside in close finishes were given the nod, so he brought horses out there all the time. Years later it was found that the official finish line was in fact skewed to favor horses that finished wide. He used that 'inside information' for years. Smart cookie.

Humph
10-05-2007, 02:14 PM
That statement was not to denigrate Piggot or others who knew how to win, only to make the notion, noticed by the racing press, that the injection of a new style made the product better.

Since I am a photo finish operator, a story I heard about Piggot is germane. He noticed that all the horses passing the post at Haydock on the outside in close finishes were given the nod, so he brought horses out there all the time. Years later it was found that the official finish line was in fact skewed to favor horses that finished wide. He used that 'inside information' for years. Smart cookie.

Nothing surprises me where Lester's concerned.

Your original synopsis of slow,slow, slow, quick style of racing certainly happens in Europe, but is more common in France than England and Ireland.

As for the two jockeys you mentioned making a better product, Cash didn't really have a profound influence in France, where he was based, in my opinion, because his style was tailor-made for French racing and he didn't really change things. Steve, on the other hand, probably had more of an influence in England , but that was because he was so talented and people there realized how good he was .But I think it is stretching things a little to say that he introduced a new style of riding that everyone copied ; he just had the awareness, talent, and belief in his own ability to ride races as they unfolded , and a lot of that stemmed from instinctively knowing exactly what he had underneath him. All the truly greats can do that.

Zman179
10-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Well, needless to say that I am totally afflicted with bad luck. Last night, I caught a bad case of sinusitis...and after going to my doctor this morning I was strongly advised not to fly tonight.

So, no Arc. No Paris. No vacation. :(

I hope all of you do well on the Arc card tomorrow and catch many winners. Personally, I don't know if I'll have the heart to watch.

ezrabrooks
10-06-2007, 06:51 PM

You got a link for that story?

Ez

robert99
10-06-2007, 08:04 PM

Do not recognise this at all, the Arc being the World's top 12f turf race has been run at an exhausting pace ever since I have watched it live. European turf races run at a canter ?? Have you never watched the Derby run on the fastest and trickiest course in the World? The great W Shoemaker tried it in 78 and came a gallant second. Steve (came over in 79) won it twice. Cash (in France from 82) won the Arc once. Both had to adjust their riding to the huge variety of course layouts but learned fast and succesfully melded their USA techniques with the European style. L Piggott won 9 Derbys and the Arc three times. All that was a long time ago.