PDA

View Full Version : Breeders' Cup in HD

Southieboy
09-26-2007, 12:04 AM
This will be the first time (Oct. 26) I will watch a race on HD. How is the coverage from your past expirence? What is different than standard TV coverage

PaceAdvantage
09-26-2007, 01:02 AM
It's the same feed. The only difference is the picture quality.

46zilzal
09-26-2007, 01:25 AM
EVERY year when NBC had it, a group of us wrote and pleaded (to no avail) for the director not to cut up the views of the race as continuity was lost. A few of the races switched between 14 or 15 different perspective shots. How in the world is one to follow a race like that? The Europeans have the best coverage: cover the field in one shot from gate to wire. SIMPLE.

Obviously the director for racing television coverage is not a racing fan.

I found the ESPN coverage marginal at best and did not turn up the volume more than twice during the entire show.

JustRalph
09-26-2007, 02:23 AM
are we sure they are going to use HD camera's? I know Keeneland has them, but not sure what the plan is at Mmouth........ I havent' heard it is going to be in HD...........

PaceAdvantage
09-26-2007, 02:27 AM
It's on ESPN. It will be in HD. It was in HD last year....

ponyplayerdotca
09-26-2007, 03:36 PM
PA is right. ESPN broadcasted it in HD last year from Churchill Downs.

I watched it with some friends at a sports bar with a huge HD screen.

The picture quality and sound was superb.

If you've got HD and the signal is hooked up right, it's by far the best quality you will have ever experienced.

Watching NFL games on it now vs. previous years is like "night and day".

DanG
09-26-2007, 06:05 PM
If you've got HD and the signal is hooked up right, it's by far the best quality you will have ever experienced.

Watching NFL games on it now vs. previous years is like "night and day".
Could not agree more Pony; :ThmbUp:

If you haven’t made the plunge its worth cutting something else out to get an HD set and signal. Especially if your eyes are not the worlds greatest (like mine) the difference will shock you. :eek:

turfnsport
09-26-2007, 07:43 PM
If you are a "post parade inspector" HD is a must for BC day. Compared to the sometimes awful feeds on HRTV and TVG, it's stunning.

MikeD

The Hawk
09-26-2007, 09:30 PM
Those of you who don't have HD are really missing out on something. A family member used to tell me about it and I'd think, "How good could it be?," and I'd forget about it. Until I was in the market for a tv and the salesman showed me the difference in pictures.

I strongly suggest the next time you're at an electronics store to check it out, it's incredible. I have actually cut down on going to live ballgames simply due to having HD, and I used to go quite a lot. EVERYTHING is much better in HD, and that includes horse racing. I actually dound myself watching women's basketball one night because it was in high def.

Does anyone know what it would cost a racetrack to implement HD for it's racing? How much of an advantage, in terms of wagering dollars, would it be to have the home signal in HD on the wall, surrounded by fuzzy pictures from other tracks? Would it make an iota of difference?

thespaah
09-26-2007, 10:20 PM
ESPN broadcasts in HD...Most of their bigger events are always in HD..It is my gues that ESPN will spare no expense at the BC..Expect to see it in HD if you have an HD set top box( satellite or cable) to receive ESPN HD

Ron
09-26-2007, 11:51 PM
Time Warner Cable has ESPN HD as a seperate channel..isn't everything is HD not just larger events?

turfnsport
09-27-2007, 12:44 AM
Time Warner Cable has ESPN HD as a seperate channel..isn't everything is HD not just larger events?

Most of ESPN HD's previous horse racing shows have not been in HD, but still come in much clearer when watching the ESPN HD channel as opposed to the reg ESPN channel...From what I remember from last year, the BC was totally in HD.

Almost everything on ESPN is now in total HD, including the WSOP, sportcenter, and all of the baseball and football games.

If you have not exierenced HD and you are a sports fan, you are really missing out. When I first got it I was amazed. I was watching a basketball game and I could tell the fan in about the eighth row was drinking a Mic Ultra Light. I could read the label! And I have a 51 inch proj screen, not a top of the line plasma or LCD.

MikeD

JustRalph
09-27-2007, 03:36 AM
If you have not exierenced HD and you are a sports fan, you are really missing out. When I first got it I was amazed. I was watching a basketball game and I could tell the fan in about the eighth row was drinking a Mic Ultra Light. I could read the label! And I have a 51 inch proj screen, not a top of the line plasma or LCD.
MikeD

I am told that a prominent attorney took his girlfriend to a Yankee game and during a divorce proceeding the opposing attorney turned over a video of him at the Yankee game........from the commercial broadcast of the game. He settled with his wife. I heard this from an attorney (should I believe it? :lol: )............I could believe it..........from the view I get behind home plate on some games....... I could recognize just about anybody I know..........

Ron
09-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Non-HD TV looks like crap to me now when it was perfectly fine my whole life.

thespaah
09-27-2007, 11:16 AM
nope.. Just the stuff they shoot in HD...Sports center for example has gone full time HD. But there is non liove stuff they show on the HD channel that was not shot in HD and therefore not shown in HD. Most live content is in HD..Most.

turfnsport
09-27-2007, 12:23 PM
I am told that a prominent attorney took his girlfriend to a Yankee game and during a divorce proceeding the opposing attorney turned over a video of him at the Yankee game........from the commercial broadcast of the game. He settled with his wife. I heard this from an attorney (should I believe it? :lol: )............I could believe it..........from the view I get behind home plate on some games....... I could recognize just about anybody I know..........

LOL...That reminds of going to a hockey game with a prominent jockey agent that shall remain nameless. I had connections and we had great seats. The only problem was the camera man kept shooting us (well, our dates, we were both master overachievers)...Only problem was both of our dates were not our girlfriends.

We had to go to the Club level and watched the rest of the game from the bar.

We took our girlfriends for the remainder of the season.

MikeD

Spendabuck85
09-27-2007, 05:59 PM
Ron, I have Time Warner HD converter (it's fantastic) and almost all live events are in HD. Shows like Pardon the Interruption, Around the Horn, The Contender, etc while broadcast over the ESPN HD channel are not in HD.
Also, one of the live events being shown this weekend on ESPN is the coverage of the Jockey Club Gold Cup which I am sad to say is NOT being shown in HD according to the TV listings.

turfnsport
09-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Ron, I have Time Warner HD converter (it's fantastic) and almost all live events are in HD. Shows like Pardon the Interruption, Around the Horn, The Contender, etc while broadcast over the ESPN HD channel are not in HD.
Also, one of the live events being shown this weekend on ESPN is the coverage of the Jockey Club Gold Cup which I am sad to say is NOT being shown in HD according to the TV listings.

I don't know if cable is any different but I have Dish Network. While the racing tomorrow may not be in HD, the picture is still dramatically clearer watching it on ESPN HD with the HD receiver than watching the regular ESPN channel. If that makes any sense.

MikeD

Premier Turf Club
09-27-2007, 07:57 PM
I have always been a AV junkie. Used to install systems in college. I can't watch anything non-HD these days.