PDA

View Full Version : HElp w/ Wordpad and Notepad

JPinMaryland
09-25-2007, 03:59 AM
I have a 500 page document that's formatted for wordpad and/or notepad. At least it looks to be 500 when I do a print preview in word pad. I dont know if it will open with any other program those were the twot that my PC suggested. It might open withing fancy but dunnno...

Here's my question: can I copy and paste this document into MSword and then shrink it down to say 7 pt. font so I can print this damn thing in maybe 200 pages or maybe 150? I cant seem to be able to copy and paste from word pad and notepad (maybe I didnt try very hard with notepad).

Even more basic question. How come I cant seem to click and drag on portions of the text here and copy them for pasting? It just wont let me. I realy dont need to print all 500 pages but I'd like to copy bits and pieces of certain sections.

There is very little page formatting in this document, just page numbers in header, but I'd like to keep the page numbering if possible when I import this document into msword.

Thanks

Bubba X
09-25-2007, 04:07 AM
Instead of copying from Wordpad into MSWord, perhaps it would be easier to first open the doc in wordpad then saving it into MSWord.

That's what I would try.

JPinMaryland
09-25-2007, 04:17 AM
Actually I now figured out how to get it into MSword (Use "select all" and then hit "Right Click" and PASTE)

So it's now about 400 pp. Which is decent for now. But one more question which is even more basic. It looks like there are large spacing between each line of text But I go to "Format" and "Paragraph" then "SPacing" now "Before" and "After". I type 0 into the window for Before and After and nothing really happens.

How can I shrink down the spacing between each line. I tried LIne Spacing: AUtomatic w/ 0pt in the Before and After windows and the spacing got bigger.

[Edit] Goddam it! So I go back and hit line spacing "Exactly" and then put in "2 pt" and now you cant even see the lines. But they are still that freakin 1/4" apart or whatever. Goddamit I know there is a stupid workaround for this, why dont they make this stuff obvious?

Bubba X
09-25-2007, 04:42 AM
Actually I now figured out how to get it into MSword (Use "select all" and then hit "Right Click" and PASTE)

So it's now about 400 pp. Which is decent for now. But one more question which is even more basic. It looks like there are large spacing between each line of text But I go to "Format" and "Paragraph" then "SPacing" now "Before" and "After". I type 0 into the window for Before and After and nothing really happens.

How can I shrink down the spacing between each line. I tried LIne Spacing: AUtomatic w/ 0pt in the Before and After windows and the spacing got bigger.

[Edit] Goddam it! So I go back and hit line spacing "Exactly" and then put in "2 pt" and now you cant even see the lines. But they are still that freakin 1/4" apart or whatever. Goddamit I know there is a stupid workaround for this, why dont they make this stuff obvious? I don't really know. But try to save a copy before you do much more!

headhawg
09-25-2007, 08:57 AM
JP,

What do you mean when you say that the document is "formatted" for Wordpad/Notepad? Is it a .doc file or a .txt file? If it's a .doc file and you double-click to open it there should be no need to import it into Word. By default, when Word is installed it sets the file association to open .doc files into it and overrides the previous association which is to open in Wordpad. If it's a txt file then there should be mimimal formatting. Is the file extension of the document something different from .doc or .txt?

I suspect that this is either a document converted from some other format (a converted .pdf?) or that it's an .html file (or one created by cutting and pasting information from web sites). This will probably be of little help but once you have imported into Word you could turn on the hidden formatting by clicking the button in the toolbar that looks like a backwards P. You could then see what kind of formatting characters that you are dealing with. I sounds like you have some embedded spaces that the line spacing control can't deal with.

HH

spilparc
09-25-2007, 09:34 AM

[Edit] Goddam it! So I go back and hit line spacing "Exactly" and then put in "2 pt" and now you cant even see the lines. But they are still that freakin 1/4" apart or whatever. Goddamit I know there is a stupid workaround for this, why dont they make this stuff obvious?

You might be out of luck. I had the same problem on a recent document, and I couldn't figure out a way to get rid of the spacing either except to open it in notepad and remove the spaces line by line.

It's one reason I started using wordpad instead of notepad as my default text editior.

JPinMaryland
09-25-2007, 10:19 AM
It is a .txt file. WHen I right click on it it says "Open with..." and the options are: Notepad, Wordpad and Internet Explorer.

NormanTD
09-25-2007, 11:22 AM
First open MS Word
Click on File
Click on Open
Be sure "Files Of Type" is set to All Files (*.*)
Click on down arrow in "Look In" box
Search for and find your text file
Click on your text file
Click on Open

spilparc
09-25-2007, 11:26 AM
First open MS Word
Click on File
Click on Open
Be sure "Files Of Type" is set to All Files (*.*)
Click on down arrow in "Look In" box
Search for and find your text file
Click on your text file
Click on Open

That's how you open it in MS Word, but how do you remove the spacing? I tried and tried, but I don't think you can.

JPinMaryland
09-26-2007, 01:17 AM
Ditto what the last guy said, I now have complete document in wordperfect. But the problem is how to get rid of immense spacing between the lines?

Perhaps I can copy and paste into another doc that's already formatted?

Red Knave
09-28-2007, 01:51 PM
What happens if you open the original document in NotePad? It should open if it's truly a .txt file.

If it's too big for NotePad try loading it and printing it with this editor (it's free) http://www.lancs.ac.uk/staff/steveb/cpaap/pfe/default.htm

Hammerhead
09-28-2007, 08:22 PM
In the file extension if it is pdf it may be difficult. Pdf files are similar to a photo composite taken as a whole not as individule letters etc.
Also Font may not be compatable with your machine. If so select all and change to a font your computer has. You may have to change spacing and line size as needed. Windows word may help. Quark Ex if you have it should help also.

Tom
09-29-2007, 09:41 AM
Ditto what the last guy said, I now have complete document in wordperfect. But the problem is how to get rid of immense spacing between the lines?

Perhaps I can copy and paste into another doc that's already formatted?

Check your formatting - maybe line spacing is set too high - you can adjust it.
Try a smaller font, and check what Style is set - normal is best.
NOTE: OOPss - the middle red line should point to the "12" after the font window.