PDA

View Full Version : Super Derby & Bklyn

joanied
09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
:) I watched the replays of the the 2 big races on Saturday....
considering the fractions of the Super Derby, and the fact he couldn't pull it off, it's my opinion that Grasshopper will not be a force in the BC Classic...maybe his best race was getting Street Sense to dig in for his win at Saratoga?

Any Given Saturday...much faster fractions and looked to me he galloped out very well...my opinion is that he's the one to give Street Sense a fight in the Classic...and I wonder, can SS beat this giant of a horse?

Looks like Hard Spun will tackle SS again...hhhmmmm...does this mean they are really considering running Hard Spun in the Classic vs the Dirt Mile?

:) Just some food for thought

cj
09-24-2007, 01:16 PM
It was stated a while ago that Hard Spun would be pointed for the Classic. Don't forget about Lawyer Ron, who would be favored over Street Sense if the race was tomorrow.

joeya
09-24-2007, 04:22 PM
Hard Spun and Street Sense will square off Saturday in the Kentucky Cup Classic at Turfway Park. According to a press release I received today from Turfway there are only two other starters confirmed for the race at the present time. I wouldn't expect this race to draw more than 5 or 6 runners.

As such, I won't put much stock in the outcome (as a gauge for the BC) unless HS or SS turns in a terrible effort. Hard Spun won over the Polytrack at Turfway back in the Spring so he may rate the edge, especially given his speed (one of the other confirmed starters, Stream Cat, is a dead stone closer). Street Sense hasn't won on Polytrack but Nafzger used the Poly as the final prep before victories in the BC Juvenile and Ky Derby.

Also this weekend Lawyer Ron and Curlin are expected to square off at Belmont Park. Again, this is likely to be a short field.

We'll get to see four of the top five BC Classic contenders this weekend (Any Given Saturday being included in the top five). It's hard to imagine anyone outside of this group winning the Classic next month ... and I'm inclined to rate Curlin behind the others at this point. Personally I need to see a big race from him this weekend to rate him a solid threat in the Classic. For Hard Spun, Street Sense and Lawyer Ron I just need to see them make it around the track in one piece.

joanied
09-24-2007, 06:14 PM
CJ,

Thanks....I almost forgot about Lawyer Ron...he'll be a huge threat if he keeps his form.

Joeya,

Excellent post...thanks... we'll all look foward to this weekends races, and yep...bet the fields will be mighty short....which always gets me kinda angry because it shows that too many trainers don't have the courage to run horses in these spots because of the 'favorites'...ya never know in horse racing, so I wish some would at least try so we have larger fields...ohwell, a sign of the times!!

As I sit right now, being a huge Carl N fan, I hope SS wins the Classic... I love the horse, the trainer and can't help but love Bor-RAIL!!!!!