PDA

View Full Version : Pell Mell Spots No More 9/24

Pell Mell
09-24-2007, 12:11 PM
It looked like a bad day yesterday till the last play that won @ $41.
Three days running we made 100% profit on the day but I have decided not to post here anymore.

Some how I feel like a whore in church on this forum or at the very least, an alien from another planet. There are exceptions, but most around here live in a different world than I do. I don't care to reside in a 3/5 world.

For any that are interested, I will be posting at Horses Wild as Race 606 as I have done for years.

chickenhead
09-24-2007, 12:20 PM
now why in the world would my having fun, and what I post, have any effect on your enjoyment and what you post?

So far as I can tell you've been shown nothing but love for your picks from the members here.

btw, I fully expect my picks to be profitable, and if they are not at the end of my little test run, I fully expect to get HAMMERED by my brethren here. Stick around and you can join in.

Pell Mell
09-24-2007, 12:31 PM
The point is that I thought posting selections was supposed to help the uniformed play some ponies and maybe make a few bucks while having some fun. I can't see the sense in posting horses that even a blind man can see that it should win. Most, not all, around here just talk S**T but are afraid to put their money where their mouth is. Very few players here, just a bunch of theorists that don't know jack about making money playing horses. Note, I didn't say all, but if the shoe fits.....

chickenhead
09-24-2007, 01:00 PM
The point is that I thought posting selections was supposed to help the uniformed play some ponies and maybe make a few bucks while having some fun.

Is there an odds range limit to this thought of yours?

I can't see the sense in posting horses that even a blind man can see that it should win.

What if they are profitable?

Most, not all, around here just talk S**T but are afraid to put their money where their mouth is. Very few players here, just a bunch of theorists that don't know jack about making money playing horses. Note, I didn't say all, but if the shoe fits

I thought the whole point of this game is to make money, not show you have the biggest nuts by picking 20-1 shots?

Here is what I think. People shit on favorites, and low odds horses, because they think it is somehow beneath them, or shows a lack of ingenuity. They are mostly right to do so, because it is so hard to make money on low price horses. BUT, if one can find a way to make money on low odds horses, it absolutely DOMINATES playing longshots with regards to bankroll growth. To me the absolute HOLY GRAIL is a 10% ROI on 60% winners. That will absolutely destroy just about anything else. I don't care if that's done by dutching several horses, or with a single horse.

I still don't get why my trying to do that bothers you so much.

In the end, IMO, the ONLY thing that matters in the selections forum, and real life, is profit/loss.

Pell Mell
09-24-2007, 01:17 PM
If that's your Holy Grail, then your in the right church.

chickenhead
09-24-2007, 01:28 PM
I am sorry that (one of) my goals seems to demoralize you to such a degree. Buck up little cowboy.

Pell Mell
09-24-2007, 01:49 PM
You know Chick, your taking this personally. I have nothing against you, in fact, we would probably get along fine face to face. What irks me about handicappers is when they sit around like a bunch of "Armchair Generals" trying to run a war when they've never been in the trenches. All those books on the market written by a bunch of theroists who don't have a clue about what makes animals tick and they come up with things like ROI. Does that mean "Results of an Idiot"? Why sit around trying to dissect a race made up of a bunch of evenly matched animals when there are so many races where an edge may be found? As far as my picking longshots, I don't do it to show I have balls, I do it to make money. Take it any way you like but if you ever want to live off the horses you had better forget those shortstops because there have been an awful lot of failures to prove that it's not the way to go. Your betting against the public at large and you can't make money going along with the mob. One must take advantage of the utter stupidity of the betting public and when you try to nit-pick which of their choices to play your just another Lemming.:bang: :bang:

chickenhead
09-24-2007, 02:00 PM
That's all fine...I don't have any problem with you, never have. I like your picks. I'm glad that you post them. I'm just trying to understand what is bothering you enough to quit posting, you seemed to indicate it was at least in part ME. It's alright, fuggedaboutit.

judd
09-24-2007, 03:35 PM
pell is right
who gets excited with 3/5 picks

chickenhead
09-24-2007, 03:40 PM
Is there something wrong with your browser settings? Are you somehow forced to read my threads? Can the moderator please look into this, it appears I'm upsetting a lot of folks.

Unlike 99.9% of posters in this section, I am keeping score, and will post a full recap. Why don't you wait until then to bother me.

chickenhead
09-24-2007, 03:52 PM
I will change the title of my threads from Locks of The Day to something like:

Woefully Inadequate Lemming Picks O' The Day

will that make everyone feel better? Can I then continue my public workout without offending everyone? Will everyone then feel ok about not reading it if they're not interested?

I'll also include a saucy picture or two, from time to time, so as to "excite" those who stumble upon the thread unawares, and are otherwise left flaccid by my demonstrations of horse picking prowess.

duckhunter3
09-24-2007, 04:36 PM
Sorry to see you go, Pell Mell. I enjoyed your picks and I think you and I are pretty much on the same wave length.

All the best.
duckhunter3

duckhunter3
09-24-2007, 10:35 PM
PELL MELL, I would like to keep in touch if you are interested. I don't share my ideas with ANYONE else except my handicapping buddy (and he keeps his mouth shut), except when I came on this forum and thought it would be fun.

any idea how we might connect and share ideas and thoughts, without giving out email addresses, phone numbers etc., publicly?

I guess one of us could get a new email address and disclose that publicly but I don't know. Maybe no way.

But I was certainly disappointed with the attitude of the people on this board.

whobet
09-24-2007, 10:46 PM
One would think that posting ones horse racing picks on a horse racing forum
would:

1. Be fun
2. Hopefully profitable
3. Get positive feedback when one does good
4. Maybe get some intelligent comments, when it appears you are struggling.
5. Maybe even meet someone who could become a friend

In actuality, what you get is:
1. They instantly attack the new guy
2. Wait to see how he does, then attack him.
3. Attack him when he has a bad day
4. On your good day, there is complete silence
5. Attack his approach, too many favorites
6. Attack his approach, too many longshots
7. Attack you cause you don't post results
8. Attack you cause you pick to many races
9. Attack you cause you are very selective

It takes a strong guy like Anderon,
who does this, cause it helps make him a better handicapper,
he is very strong, cause he gets alot of crap,
and very little love, but he keeps on going, like the Battery Rabbit.

Go Anderon

What is the answer:

For Whobet, it is, I like giving my picks, maybe it will get some newbies playing this great game.
I ignore the feed back, I would make my picks whether I post them or not,
so I post them when I can,
it is not a priority of mine to get my picks posted in a timely manner,
some days I am very late, but I don't care,
I have other priorites that are more important then the posting of my picks.
Usually 100 or so people look at them,
most are lurkers, they look but never post a comment, that's fine with me.
At least 100 people took the time to look, I take that as positive feedback.
This is not what one would expect, when you first start posting, but this is life,
in every Horse racing forum that I have been in,
and I have been banned for not following some of the rules on certain sites,
I don't care,

Mr PACE lets me post here, gives me very little crap unless I mess with him,
works for me, I just post my picks cause I got them, and some of youall like them.

I am sorry you guys have given up so easily, but thanks for posting and giving it a try.

duckhunter3
09-24-2007, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the input (AND LECTURE) and congrats to Anderon for being such a soldier. But the whole thing just doesn't make sense to me, if all I get is nothing from it except satisfaction showing I did well. I get that from myself.

Just my opinion.

whobet
09-24-2007, 11:01 PM
Well Thanks for trying

spitbit
09-25-2007, 12:20 AM
so,......

you guys like anything tomorrow??

(and don't be giving out no chalk now, 'hear?!)

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2007, 02:37 AM
It's gotta be a full moon, right?

BillW
09-25-2007, 02:38 AM
It's gotta be a full moon, right?

Not till tomorrow :lol:

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2007, 03:21 AM
See, I didn't even have to look it up....after 8 years, I have my own unique lunar cycle to go by....

Pell Mell
09-25-2007, 06:56 AM
You know fellas, I'm not quitting posting because of a lack of strokes. The reason I started posting picks in the first place was to kind of prove a point. The point being that it seemed like every time I entered a conversation about some topic concerning handicapping, I was either ignored totally or got comments that insuinated I didn't have a clue, at least that was my feeling. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to the numbers game that prevails here seems to regarded as coming from the dark ages. In other words, if a horse doesn't have the favored figures then it's not playable. If one doesn't abide by the prevailing methodology then that person is someone to be shunned. In other words, if you didn't graduate from a particular school then you have no business making comments about the handicapping process. I just wanted to show, and especially to the novice, that the key to success, which to me is the ability to make money from this game, is not to be had from crunching numbers because I've been there, done that and got the tee shirt. As I stated once, the only horse that I knew of that could count was Trigger.

But no one seemed to be interested in any method that doesn't involve pace and speed ratings which are only going to point out the obvious. One would think that if a poster gives horses that win at long odds that someone would be interested to know how and why that horse was played. But no, that was a freak, he didn't have the figs so that can't be repeated.

Anyway, that's my feeling and I guess most are content to go on living in their own little numbers world searching for the holy grail. No hard feelings towards anyone, especially Chicken who has yet to experience the thrill of making 20 grand off one race. Good luck to all!

DanG
09-25-2007, 07:37 AM
It looked like a bad day yesterday till the last play that won @ $41.
Three days running we made 100% profit on the day but I have decided not to post here anymore.

Some how I feel like a whore in church on this forum or at the very least, an alien from another planet. There are exceptions, but most around here live in a different world than I do. I don't care to reside in a 3/5 world.

For any that are interested, I will be posting at Horses Wild as Race 606 as I have done for years.
Maybe I’m alone here, but I’m guessing not.

I click on “new posts” when I reach this sight. I honestly / rarely look at who posted what, but I look at the title. If I see something of interest, I click on it. The way my pea brain works when I see “Lock of the day” that sounds like something fun to get involved with. When I see “Picks for 9/25/1968"…for whatever reason I don’t click on those and it has nothing to do with who posted them.

Maybe I don’t want to be influenced by someone’s selections. Maybe (like many of us) I just handicap too (there’s that “too” again!) :eek: many races and sometimes don’t have the brain power / stamina to break down another’s thought process. The one I’m sure of is I would never know in a million years if the person posting them was doing well, poorly or any point in between, because I just won’t track them over time.

As I said…Maybe I’m alone, but it is nothing personal or meant as a sign of disrespect in any way.

Picks for today: Probably will never look at it.
Lock for today: Something in my head says its only one race and might be fun.
Guaranteed date with Scarlett Johansson: 110% chance of clicking on that one. :jump:
Again…It’s mainly a function of available time and title of thread and nothing more. Typical American who can be marketing to come inside and shop.

PS: I like reading your thoughts Pell Mell for what its worth. :ThmbUp:

GameTheory
09-25-2007, 11:57 AM
You know fellas, I'm not quitting posting because of a lack of strokes. The reason I started posting picks in the first place was to kind of prove a point. The point being that it seemed like every time I entered a conversation about some topic concerning handicapping, I was either ignored totally or got comments that insuinated I didn't have a clue, at least that was my feeling. Anyone who doesn't subscribe to the numbers game that prevails here seems to regarded as coming from the dark ages. In other words, if a horse doesn't have the favored figures then it's not playable. If one doesn't abide by the prevailing methodology then that person is someone to be shunned. In other words, if you didn't graduate from a particular school then you have no business making comments about the handicapping process. I just wanted to show, and especially to the novice, that the key to success, which to me is the ability to make money from this game, is not to be had from crunching numbers because I've been there, done that and got the tee shirt. As I stated once, the only horse that I knew of that could count was Trigger.

But no one seemed to be interested in any method that doesn't involve pace and speed ratings which are only going to point out the obvious. One would think that if a poster gives horses that win at long odds that someone would be interested to know how and why that horse was played. But no, that was a freak, he didn't have the figs so that can't be repeated.

Anyway, that's my feeling and I guess most are content to go on living in their own little numbers world searching for the holy grail. No hard feelings towards anyone, especially Chicken who has yet to experience the thrill of making 20 grand off one race. Good luck to all!Aren't you being as rigid as the supposed number-crunchers? You are saying number-crunching doesn't work, and "they" apparently say that your longshot approach doesn't work. (Personally, I play both ways and they both work.) So what? Do people come on message boards in order to be worshipped? (Apparently so.) Not enough people will submit to your greatness so you're going?

The amount of schoolyard "respect" BS that gets in the way of the exchange of ideas around here is just staggering. Everyone just get over yourself and talk if you want to talk and stop worrying about whether you are getting the "proper" reaction to what you say...

shanta
09-25-2007, 02:07 PM
The point being that it seemed like every time I entered a conversation about some topic concerning handicapping, I was either ignored totally or got comments that insuinated I didn't have a clue, at least that was my feeling.

Pell,
Fwiw I agreed totally with your post in the handicapping section regarding finding races where there were 3-4 speeds that kill each other off and posted as much. I could tell you were a straight shooter early on.I also have read with a lot of interest some of your other posts but I won't go into that here.

There are 8 posters on this board who I look daily to FIND OUT if they have posted something because I can LEARN something from them. You are 1 of them.

Thank you for sharing and look forward to anything you have to say here in the future.
Richie

spilparc
09-25-2007, 04:54 PM
To Pell Mell whose strategy posts I enjoy reading:

1. I've never read any of your "picks" or anyone elses picks, because I don't care what anyone else thinks about random races or who they bet on. Those posts mean nothing to me. I "pick" my own horses.

2. Winning players don't (shouldn't) care what anyone else thinks.

3. If you need recognition of your achievements, then you haven't achieved anything at all.

4. Keep posting

PaceAdvantage
09-25-2007, 06:08 PM
If one doesn't abide by the prevailing methodology then that person is someone to be shunned.What exactly is the prevailing methodology? The name of this site is Pace Advantage, but everything from speed to class to pace to form to physicality to angles to [insert your favorite handicapping style/method here] is discussed here, and has been for over eight years.

There is no one prevailing methodology. I'm not sure where you are coming from with that comment.

In other words, if you didn't graduate from a particular school then you have no business making comments about the handicapping process.This is entirely untrue.

One would think that if a poster gives horses that win at long odds that someone would be interested to know how and why that horse was played. But no, that was a freak, he didn't have the figs so that can't be repeated. The funny part of this is that CJ stopped giving out selections as well, for the very same reason, and HE DOES USE PACE AND SPEED FIGURES!!! :lol: When he posted some MONSTER LONGSHOT winners, people would respond to him that the horse was a "freak" or he lucked out because of a bad trip by the favorite or whatever the response happened to be.

Very strange on here these days. Full Moon in FULL effect....

judd
09-25-2007, 06:18 PM
where is the fat man when you need him :bang:

bigmack
09-25-2007, 08:02 PM
where is the fat man when you need him :bang:
He's as hyper-sensitive as the other snivelers running around here posting selections & having chimerical ideations of what to expect in return.

Newsbreak fellas: Selections are a dime a dozen. Anyone worth their salt around here doesn't really pay attention to 'em & certainly would not play 'em. Those less experienced lack the chops to have much to say about 'em.

I find posting selections entertaining every now & then to draw out snappy repartee & compare styles with other cats.

You wanna whine about what you're not getting in return for posting selections? - Bring it up with Mitch & Murray downtown.

In the meantime, nice pickin':

http://www.bjsknives.com/image_manager/attributes/image/image_1/29622788_7085883_full.jpg

the_fat_man
09-25-2007, 08:34 PM
He's as hyper-sensitive as the other snivelers running around here posting selections & having chimerical ideations of what to expect in return.

Not exactly, Little Joe

The reason I stopped contributing is somewhat related to the concerns expressed by the thread originator: I'm not interested in META handicapping.

What I am interested in is horses, races, and handicapping; i.e., the THING ITSELF.

I have a skill (tripping) and I've identified a point of application (turf racing).

I would think you'd understand that I'd rather spend my limited free time watching and handicapping races rather than getting into the same old debates with the same old people on this forum.

Frankly, I'd love nothing better than to discuss trips and the day's turf races with someone equally passionate, and competent, when it comes to the game.

Hope that clears it up for you.

judd
09-25-2007, 08:44 PM
fat man
send me a private email when you like something

Pace Cap'n
09-25-2007, 08:57 PM
I have a skill (tripping) .....

Used to be really good at that myself....

bigmack
09-25-2007, 08:58 PM
Frankly, I'd love nothing better than to discuss trips and the day's turf races with someone equally passionate, and competent, when it comes to the game.
Roger that, Chubs. Too bad one can't enter the joint like a drugstore and order up a tube of toothpaste, a shower cap and someone to discuss trips and the day's turf races who is equally passionate, and competent. I hear what you're saying and trust you catch my drift as well.

LittleJoe - I had a cat named that years ago.

Pip, pip & cheerio, Capt. Corpulent.

Tom
09-25-2007, 09:10 PM
I have a skill (tripping)

Me too, but turns out it was only the earth shoes I was wearing. :lol:

Selections - what the heck is the big deal with everyone needing to post before the race, needs to meet odds limits, need feedback, needs......
BS. Not to offend anyone, but I could give a rat's ass who any of you like.
I pick my own. I win or lose on my handicapping. And why can't someone post a winner after the fact to talk about it in the interest of handicapping? I throw a few out once in a while, some good days, some bad. Not looking to impress you are make you rich - just having fun. Anyone remeber fun? Do some people here seriously need to post winners to somehow prove themselves? Most never even bother to post the results - win or lose. Those of you who do "get it." Dr. Phil would love this thread!:lol:

jma
09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
Me too, but turns out it was only the earth shoes I was wearing. :lol:

Selections - what the heck is the big deal with everyone needing to post before the race, needs to meet odds limits, need feedback, needs......
BS. Not to offend anyone, but I could give a rat's ass who any of you like.
I pick my own. I win or lose on my handicapping. And why can't someone post a winner after the fact to talk about it in the interest of handicapping? I throw a few out once in a while, some good days, some bad. Not looking to impress you are make you rich - just having fun. Anyone remeber fun? Do some people here seriously need to post winners to somehow prove themselves? Most never even bother to post the results - win or lose. Those of you who do "get it." Dr. Phil would love this thread!:lol:

There's definitely a lot of need for therapy on this thread...the funny part is that 90% of the people who post selections have the attitude that they're doing everyone a favor. 90% of them also lose overall. That's why 90% of them get criticized. This doesn't include someone like The Fat Man, who for whatever his issues, actually does try to break down the race and does a good job at it. I just mean the people who post 1,000 losing selections and then complain they "get no love". I don't get it and never will, but if you're doing it in public, expect to be criticized.