PDA

View Full Version : Support Louisiana Downs and the Super Derby tomorrow

NoCal Boy
09-21-2007, 04:06 PM
Tomorrow is Super Derby Day at Louisiana Downs. We have all read the strong comments from Sean Alfortish on resolving the TVG-TrackNet fiasco. However, the Super Derby Day card tomorrow can be Exhibit A as an example of how open access is the only way to go.

HRTV and TVG are each broadcasting from LA Downs tomorrow. The Super Derby itself is sponsored by Youbet. PTC has access to LA Downs as do the other ADW's.

LA Downs deserves support on its marquee day tomorrow. It will also embolden the LA horsemen and the industry at large if the day is wildly successful.

Good handicapping.

ezrabrooks
09-21-2007, 04:19 PM
Can't help on the ADW front...but will be there. It is really a great day to be "on track"..

Ez

NoCal Boy
09-21-2007, 04:26 PM
Have fun at the track.

Indulto
09-21-2007, 04:29 PM
Tomorrow is Super Derby Day at Louisiana Downs. We have all read the strong comments from Sean Alfortish on resolving the TVG-TrackNet fiasco. However, the Super Derby Day card tomorrow can be Exhibit A as an example of how open access is the only way to go.

HRTV and TVG are each broadcasting from LA Downs tomorrow. The Super Derby itself is sponsored by Youbet. PTC has access to LA Downs as do the other ADW's.

LA Downs deserves support on its marquee day tomorrow. It will also embolden the LA horsemen and the industry at large if the day is wildly successful.

Good handicapping.You're making too much sense. ;)

Good luck tomorrow.

cj
09-21-2007, 04:31 PM
It is tough to get excited about the Super Derby, which looks like a walkover, but the rest of the card is nice.

ezrabrooks
09-21-2007, 04:44 PM
It is tough to get excited about the Super Derby, which looks like a walkover, but the rest of the card is nice.

I take it that you don't expect GH to back up from his NY form?

Ez

NoCal Boy
09-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Hot and humid tomorrow so who knows the effect on the ponies.

russowen77
09-21-2007, 08:13 PM
Hi y;all. I am new to this board. I am primarily a horseman but circumstances prohibt me from going as much until Oaklawn opens. I was totally lost without my eyes for awhile but I found out I like this and hope to learn. I have couple of questions after my comment. I hope y'all will indulge me and teach me the error of my ways.

I am not sure the race is a walk over. Grasshopper is decently bred. Dixie Union is a decent stallion. However he is only throwing 5% SWs and 85% of those have come with 2 yos and he does very well with them. Mom is a unraced mare but very well bred and bred for giving him this distance easily. However he is not bred any better than several here. The point given colt is an X factor. His spawn will run better as they get older. Langfuhr is another non precosious stallion. It is strange to see all geldings.

Breeding aside. It is hot and humid here and will be worse in LAD. Grasshopper is coming from SAR. i have seen them wilt before.

He also had a couple of pretty easy trips his last two times out. He won't see those fractions tommorrow imo.

My question I guess is --are those speed figures so high that he is a true lock for this race? I have a lot to learn. It is much easier when you see them in the paddock and post parade. Right now I feel like a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

Bobzilla
09-21-2007, 09:02 PM
I agree the big race tomorrow at LaD is not necessarily a walk over. Having said that, however, even if Grasshopper were to regress off the back to back high numbers earned in his most recent two, it's most probable his "B" game would defeat the "A" game of his competitors, especially if he can adjust to possible quicker early fractions. I agree that the early fractions in his last two races were fairly comfortable. Over the years I've seen big name horses who were suppose to win in a walk over just not show up when suddenly confronted with different race dynamics, especially those who were still lightly raced. I've seen riders get way too over confident and hurt their mounts chances, as I believe Bailey did in the 96 Jockey Club Gold Cup. In the end nothing surprises me in this game. I'm trying to make a case for Beta Capo and Going Ballistic in tomorrow's race. Though in my own mind they would be the most likely upsetters, my best guess would be they would be competing for 2nd money behind a "B" game effort of Grasshopper.

rdavislake
09-21-2007, 09:15 PM
Weather won't be a factor......It was warmer in Saratoga Spings on Travers Day......It will be nice tomorrow......I never comment on other people's handicapping, but beware the locals......

russowen77
09-21-2007, 09:27 PM
I apprecitate your input. This is where I get a lil stupid and am trying to learn. Forty Acres out to get the lead and then it gets dicey in my mind. He will throw some fractions that Grasshopper is not used to. It is hot down here and will be tommorrow. They are a cluster of E/P horses running and that could be trouble and only two closers who out to get serious pace. Steve knows LaD really well. yada yada yada It is hard to get over the fact that he has run 5 lengths faster than any other hore in the field.

Thanks again. I'll just put a small wager on the Point Given gelding if the odds are right and they should be off the board. those suckers can jump up 5-8 lengths out of no where around 4. Stupid bet. It will probably be just a couple of bucks but I have a vested interest in making sure LaD is healthy. With friggin Charlie you never know what came happen.

rdavislake
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
I hope LAD has a huge handle day on and off track......Harrah's (the owner) has been giving the racetrack side of the racino the second class citizens treatment. IMO

Maybe they'll get a clue as to how important live racing can be for them....

Indulto
09-21-2007, 09:46 PM
...Harrah's (the owner) has been giving the racetrack side of the racino the second class citizens treatment. IMOWhat are they doing -- or not doing -- that leaves that impression?

russowen77
09-21-2007, 10:05 PM
Weather won't be a factor......It was warmer in Saratoga Spings on Travers Day......It will be nice tomorrow......I never comment on other people's handicapping, but beware the locals......
Boy do I agree with you about the last. If Robby wasn't in the saddle I would be all over that race big fig or not. I don't know if Grasshoppers trainer even knows what boudin is.:)

rdavislake
09-21-2007, 10:51 PM
It's more what they're not doing, IMO......I can't see any evidence of spending much to grow the on-track business, or off track for that matter.....
The LAHBPA had to force them to invest in and open an OTB in the eastern part of the state. They've not replaced the big screen in the infield for those folks on the apron. Nothing has been spent for back side improvements.
On the promotional side. It was mentioned on one of the PA board earlier this week that there's been virtually no hype for Super Derby. There are hardly any giveaways at the Track, and IMO the Track has a ton of turnover in racing office, and those there don't listen to the horsemen that much.
That's just a few things I heard or noticed......Hope it answers your question........

trigger
09-21-2007, 10:55 PM
It's more what they're not doing, IMO......I can't see any evidence of spending much to grow the on-track business, or off track for that matter.....
The LAHBPA had to force them to invest in and open an OTB in the eastern part of the state. They've not replaced the big screen in the infield for those folks on the apron. Nothing has been spent for back side improvements.
On the promotional side. It was mentioned on one of the PA board earlier this week that there's been virtually no hype for Super Derby. There are hardly any giveaways at the Track, and IMO the Track has a ton of turnover in racing office, and those there don't listen to the horsemen that much.
That's just a few things I heard or noticed......Hope it answers your question........

What's the matter with supporting Suffolk Downs and their MassCap tomorrow? The new owner is doing good things.

Indulto
09-21-2007, 11:09 PM
That's just a few things I heard or noticed......Hope it answers your question........Thanks for responding, RDL.

I had assumed the track might be player-friendly since it sells it's signal to PTC, but perhaps they have calculated that since off-track handle will eclipse on-track handle, money isn't to be spent on on-track players. I sense this attitude at HOL as well.

rdavislake
09-21-2007, 11:16 PM
They (Harrah's) got the track to get the slots.....End of story.......

russowen77
09-21-2007, 11:18 PM
They sure haven't done anythink for the backtrack for sure.

cj
09-22-2007, 01:55 AM
It was VERY hot on humid for the Travers and Grasshopper didn't seem to mind.

It isn't so much that he is the next coming, but the rest look like slugs.

trigger
09-22-2007, 02:03 AM
Weekend FREE PPs [pdf]:
>>> Suffolk: $500K Mass Cap http://www.drf.com/row/pps/07masscap.pdf
>>> La Downs: G2 $500K Super Derby http://www.drf.com/row/pps/07superderby.pdf

joeyreb
09-22-2007, 02:35 AM
I planned on going tomorrow but the light field will keep me in Dallas wagering at Lone Star Park.

Is Slew's Tizzy hurt?? Looks like his connections would be all over this race, from this region.

I really surprized that Chicken Carl didn't enter Street Sense to get that extra $500k here.

I think Going Ballistic has shot here, wished his connections would have reached out for a better Jockey. With Little Joe Talamo back in town and David Flores in West Coast there easy two upgrades over Berry

Snag
09-23-2007, 11:56 AM
I planned on going tomorrow but the light field will keep me in Dallas wagering at Lone Star Park.

Is Slew's Tizzy hurt?? Looks like his connections would be all over this race, from this region.

I really surprized that Chicken Carl didn't enter Street Sense to get that extra $500k here.

I think Going Ballistic has shot here, wished his connections would have reached out for a better Jockey. With Little Joe Talamo back in town and David Flores in West Coast there easy two upgrades over Berry

Good pick joey (after the fact of course.....lol). Cliff Berry knows the LAD track very well and was also a good idea now, in hindsite.

russowen77
09-23-2007, 10:21 PM
If he has been hurt it has not been widely reported.

I can't recall of the top of my head but didn't he finish 7th or something in the LA derby. Might not like the track.

ALostTexan
09-24-2007, 01:58 AM
Probably would have bet on the Super Derby, but I have a zip code in the State of Arizona, so no luck there...