PDA

View Full Version : Big weekend at Hastings

46zilzal
09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Hopefully the rain will have a hiatus (though I am not holding my breath) but if you want a good exercise in handicapping, the two weekend cards at Hastings will provide it for you with shippers, riders flying in from all points of the compass, class races (for here) at classic distances with all sorts of hopes and dreams tied to the outcome.

BIG one on Saturday: the B.C. Oaks feature with one of the best mares in this neck of the woods, Monashee. She reminds me of Lady's Secret (gray and a devastating front runner). She is so good the powers that be gave her 130 pounds to tote over the distance for this one. When was the last time an entry accepted that kind of weight?

Sunday shippers galore in the B.C. Derby (Justin Stein and Gary Olguin in from Woodbine as well as riders coming up from Washington and Alberta) along with the Sir Winston Churchill, both a 9.0 furlongs.

B. C. Breeders' Cup Derby - Grade 3
1 Rage Till Dawn (CA) 3 Francisco Fuentes
2 Amazin Blue (KY) 3 Quincy Welch
3 Ookashada (BC) 3 Justin Stein
4 Sir Gallovic (KY) 3 Mario Gutierrez
5 Another Kris (FL) 3 David Wilson
6 Jamaica Bound (KY) 3 Gallyn Mitchell
7 Celtic Dreamin (CA) 3 Gerry Olguin
8 Footprint (KY) 3 Real E. Simard
9 Beckenbauer (KY) 3 Felipe Valdez
10 Gandolf (KY) 3 Jake Barton

Now if you watch the races carefully (in these 9 furlong contests), there will be this fellow standing on the back of the truck, at the higher end of the gate post position wise, probably wearing a yellow slicker and holding a portable television camera over his right shoulder. THAT will be yours truly. Sir Gallovic was recently purchased in New York and has been very impressive in two outings (recorded the fastest time of the year at 8.5f under wraps) and the LOCAL favorite will be Okashada as he is a home bred horse that was the two year old champion. Footprint is one that got real good real quickly in Alberta and recently took the measure of Okashada at Northlands. I haven't seen the past performances as of yet but will throw in my two cents worth tomorrow.

In years past, so many of the riders came in with no experience riding bull rings but I think the connections figured that out at all of these guys know this oval. G. Mitchell (Emd) comes here often in the Fall, Jake Barton rode here regularly, Stein was leading rider here, Olguin was in the top 5, Simard and Welch both ride the Alberta circuit (all bull rings), Mario Gutierrez is the leading rider this year and Wilson never hurts a horse's chances here.

The Churchill features the older horse of the year last season in Canada: True Metropolitan.

jballscalls
09-21-2007, 05:19 PM
Kinda wished Mulcahy would have tried his hand in this race, but i guess they figured they'd take the easy money last week on WA cup day. should still be a great race at Hastings.

46zilzal
09-22-2007, 12:18 PM
Silly mistake as the Oaks in limited to three year olds. The big gray mare runs on Sunday.

46zilzal
09-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Alzheimer Day. Monashee does run Saturday.

HuggingTheRail
09-22-2007, 01:50 PM
Alpine Garden will be tough in the Oaks, unless Welch gets suckered into keeping up in a speed duel between Pat of Gold, Tanika, and Deadly Zone may gun it a bit today as well.

I think Napa can pick up some pieces late, so the play will likely be a chalky exacta with Alpine Garden to Napa

Monashee, with 130 lbs, could finally be vulnerable..but to which horse? For the most part, the rest of the field tends to run in high level optional claimers. A fair bit of early lick in this race also presents a challenge for Monashee...gun it early, and possibly be pressured by 2 or 3 others the first 6 furlongs, or sit 3 -4 lengths off the speed, and hope she can explode with the 130 lbs in a 3 furlong dash to the finish

From a betting perspective..PASS. From a fan of racing...I hope Monashee wins by a 1/16th.

Will post on tomorrows big races tomorrow, after I get a chance to study the PP's more in-depth - on a quick look, the Derby looks like a great betting race.