PDA

View Full Version : 1 1/4 Turf Races at Woodbine

Edward DeVere
09-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Anybody know where they start? The turn? The chute?

Edward DeVere
09-19-2007, 02:59 PM
Answering my own question: In the middle of the oddly-shaped first turn.

46zilzal
09-19-2007, 03:40 PM
A start at that long a distance would not play into the finish too much. That turf course is one of the most fair in North America. Only Belmont, Arlington, Saratoga, GP and maybe Hollywood are close in that regard. Opps! Colonial I believe is a big one too.

DanG
09-19-2007, 04:50 PM
A start at that long a distance would not play into the finish too much. That turf course is one of the most fair in North America. Only Belmont, Arlington, Saratoga, GP and maybe Hollywood are close in that regard. Opps! Colonial I believe is a big one too.
Fair in terms of spaciousness, but it’s certainly unique. Beyond the original configuration, it’s not close to level.

46zilzal
09-19-2007, 05:28 PM
Fair in terms of spaciousness, but it’s certainly unique. Beyond the original configuration, it’s not close to level.
That is one of many reasons that the Euro crowd has no problem shipping there for the International in October each year.

nobeyerspls
09-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Answering my own question: In the middle of the oddly-shaped first turn.

Keep in mind that they built it outside the main dirt track, taking away most of the original apron. Wide sweeping turns and a long stretch. It's not the usual turf trip scenario as witnessed by Shakespeare's rail run with no fear of being checked. Also, the drainage is very good so it holds up well.

maxwell
09-23-2007, 02:07 AM
I think the grass runs uphill a foot or so from the top of the stretch to the wire?

It's one loooooooooong stretch!

gIracing
09-23-2007, 02:30 AM
I would love to see a REAL turf course here in ameria, a la epson

46zilzal
09-23-2007, 03:14 AM
I would love to see a REAL turf course here in ameria, a la epson
Woodbine and Anita are about as close as your are going to get.