PDA

View Full Version : hey, guess whos making money these days

skate
09-18-2007, 05:34 PM
Tobacco Farmers.

seems like after unclegeorge stops funding for tobacco, three years later, they're doing far Far far better than they were with gov aid.

and it has become a Big Big Biggy export product of the USA. now who wudda thunk?

and and and ,just in time for Hillarys Fed backed Health program.:p

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119007308765730494.html?mod=hps_us_pageone:ThmbU p:

o0xst!
09-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Hasn't something recently happened where they ship the stuff to China for production and the manufacturing costs nothing therefore the profits are coming, something like that??!?!?! I could be wrong but I've heard that China is making Marlboros now...heard it at the cigar shop I go to here in OKC.

Anyway, I'd love to see subsidies for corn go away...it's just insane the things they use for that crap. The other day I bought a bottled beverage, and on the side it said the BOTTLE was made of 100% corn. I only drink Jones Soda becuase it is used with real cane sugar, which is much better than that corn syrup slop....

o0xst!
09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
..but with regards to your linking this to the health care crisis...in 1980 when there was much more government intervention and less corporate welfare and protection for elite medical conglomorates, 8.7% of the GDP went to health expenditures whereas now it is well over 15%. (source: OECD health data 2005)

Can you explain your rationale here please?!?!?!

o0xst!
09-19-2007, 02:25 AM
hello?

o0xst!
09-19-2007, 03:10 PM
good thing it is not the libgays, the # of replies on this thread would probably bring down the internet.
z4vDClhnJjs

skate
09-20-2007, 05:16 PM
..but with regards to your linking this to the health care crisis...in 1980 when there was much more government intervention and less corporate welfare and protection for elite medical conglomorates, 8.7% of the GDP went to health expenditures whereas now it is well over 15%. (source: OECD health data 2005)

sorry for being late, but policeadvantage post a charge on my account:faint: .

ok ok ok , here is what i was thinking. many examples, but this one is very clear.
roughly 5 or 6 years ago, i took someone to the dentist (surgeon) for extraction. never mind, i had to be there, and they were going after the wrong tooth, until they went by my instruction and got the correct tooth.

with Fed insurance the extraction (no exrays) cost $750.
last week, with no insurance, but exrays included, the cost was $255.

we've all heard examples of the cost of having something done, when it appears to be free, ie with insurance, the cost goes up.

people run in and out from the doctors care even though they don't have the need.

skate
09-20-2007, 05:38 PM

i note that you state "health care crisis".:eek:

that would take some specifics to explain. and im sure you could explain "crisis".

here would be my "point". you or I could not come down with any illness, that would Not be takin care of, here in the USA. legals or not.

and in my opinion, since the health care covers(that which the Union and Fed Gov support) have gone UP, and since the (your fig) 8.7% went to 15% , them i can assume that with More health benifits added, we can expect a much much much (lots) more than 15%.

take a look at the UAW, pension funds are about to be de-bald:D .
guess who's gonna pay.

so so so , somebody has got to pay "in the end". when the doctors do not have to bargain, the cost will go up. Some eye care for example, again. that whic is not covered, the cost goes down.

o0xst!
09-20-2007, 05:42 PM
So back to the tobacco profits now that we have discovered all is good and well in the health care end. What part do you think is played by so much of tobacco products being assembled at pennies on the dollar in china? What effects does that have on people outside those few and far between who can run their own farms?

skate
09-20-2007, 05:53 PM
So back to the tobacco profits now that we have discovered all is good and well in the health care end. What part do you think is played by so much of tobacco products being assembled at pennies on the dollar in china? What effects does that have on people outside those few and far between who can run their own farms?

well, its more than i can detail, but i think the farmers had it in their power, all along. i never knew the specifics on tobacco control.
so from what is seen now, the farmers could always show a nice profit, the gov controls held them back.

as far a China goes, sure it's cheaper labor. and then they just Ship the products from their, also cheaper.:cool:

the effects on others (farmers here) would come down to "supply and demand".

i see this as a good turn for everyone, except the smoker:cool: that, im not sure.

o0xst!
09-20-2007, 05:56 PM
I'd like to see some numbers..not saying I am asking you but I'd like to see numbers on who is profiting. I imagine it is the multinational conglomorates who own massive farmlands....small farmers aren't doing well in many regards these days and in fact they don't really even exist....Catfish farms are pretty much null and void now because of China and you know how that one went. Good to discuss all the facts here before we go off on this wonderful new thing we've discovered about our one markets under god nation.

well, its more than i can detail, but i think the farmers had it in their power, all along. i never knew the specifics on tobacco control.
so from what is seen now, the farmers could always show a nice profit, the gov controls held them back.

as far a China goes, sure it's cheaper labor. and then they just Ship the products from their, also cheaper.:cool:

the effects on others (farmers here) would come down to "supply and demand".

i see this as a good turn for everyone, except the smoker:cool: that, im not sure.

skate
09-20-2007, 06:09 PM
oOxst;

it is very true, tough to find the real numbers. but from the story... money exist in farming.

here is what i see, and i do see the news about the farmers going under , same can be said fro any other business, restaurant, Gas station, airlines, dotcoms, banks, shoes, cloths etc.

if you spend a few winters in Vagas, not that you hav'nt, after talking to many patrons,. a large number of farmers vs any other business will show.

they close down the farm for thwe winter, Mn, Ia, Ill and so on.

sure, many go under, like any business. and the media is not into the positives. they like "hate bush" and "o j" stuff.

o0xst!
09-20-2007, 06:41 PM
..media consolidation and running small farmers out of business...both bad. I see what you are getting at, good thinking!

oOxst;

and the media is not into the positives. they like "hate bush" and "o j" stuff.