PDA

View Full Version : ScaleGate defendants acquitted

cj
09-17-2007, 03:10 PM
Big shocker here. :rolleyes:

http://news.bloodhorse.com/viewstory.asp?id=40831

PaceAdvantage
09-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I was just going to post this article. Hopefully, Sclafani and Baeza can somehow be compensated for the bullshit they've had to endure.

toetoe
09-17-2007, 04:09 PM
Three years later !!! :bang:

Cratos
09-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Three years later !!! :bang:

That is what happens when you have a “little knowledge,” it is dangerous. From what I understand from the excerpt below is that Spitzer and his “investigators” only had a “little knowledge” of the rules.

Sclafani’s attorney, Todd Greenberg, said the investigators who gathered information for the indictment were not aware of the rules regarding equipment and what is allowed to be part of the weight carried by a rider without being reflected in the published weight.

"[Spitzer] didn’t understand the rules of racing," Greenberg said. "The overgirth, the helmet, the safety vest are not meant to be included [in the given weight], but the investigators never subtracted the extra weight that doesn’t count."

jotb
09-17-2007, 04:55 PM
That is what happens when you have a “little knowledge,” it is dangerous. From what I understand from the excerpt below is that Spitzer and his “investigators” only had a “little knowledge” of the rules.

Sclafani’s attorney, Todd Greenberg, said the investigators who gathered information for the indictment were not aware of the rules regarding equipment and what is allowed to be part of the weight carried by a rider without being reflected in the published weight.

"[Spitzer] didn’t understand the rules of racing," Greenberg said. "The overgirth, the helmet, the safety vest are not meant to be included [in the given weight], but the investigators never subtracted the extra weight that doesn’t count."

Hello Cratos:

All that tack adds up anywhere from 2 to 4 lbs. It was mentioned in the articles that some riders were getting away with as much as 15lbs. Even if Spitzer didn't understand the rules of racing can we say he still was exaggerating somewhat?

njcurveball
09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
It was mentioned in the articles that some riders were getting away with as much as 15lbs.

That is quite a head scratcher since most journey men jocks today tip the scales around 112 and the apprentices about 5 pounds less.

Unless these horses were carrying 125 pounds or more, I cannot see how they cheated 15 pounds?

jotb
09-17-2007, 05:36 PM
That is quite a head scratcher since most journey men jocks today tip the scales around 112 and the apprentices about 5 pounds less.

Unless these horses were carrying 125 pounds or more, I cannot see how they cheated 15 pounds?

If jockeys in NY were getting away with 10 to 15lbs, I'm sure this would be quite noticable to trainers especially in NY. I know when I was there (NY) if a jock was a 1lb overweight for a race and the horse lost by a nose this trainer would really be pissed off. I'm not saying every trainer is that way but there are some out there that feel weight (as little as a 1lb) can make the difference between winning and losing.

Joe

JustRalph
09-17-2007, 09:28 PM
"[Spitzer] didn’t understand the rules of racing," Greenberg said. "The overgirth, the helmet, the safety vest are not meant to be included , but the investigators never subtracted the extra weight that doesn’t count."

This reminds me of the NASA scientists that forgot to convert metric to non metric or vice a verse and the Mars probe crashed......... :lol:

Spendabuck85
09-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Paul DerOhannesian II, is the attorney for Baeza. The judge was Jerry Scarano.

Figman
09-18-2007, 06:55 PM
This judge has followed New York racing for over fifty years.
Not much gets by him!

PaceAdvantage
09-19-2007, 12:41 AM
Paul DerOhannesian II, is the attorney for Baeza. The judge was Jerry Scarano.You are correct, and I have removed my errant comment. I read the story too quickly for my own good!