PDA

View Full Version : Well, here's one I've never heard of!

banacek
09-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Just noticed this on abebooks:

"The art of winning, or, How to make turf speculation successful: In three parts... ; including an explication of a new method of handicapping and four new and original systems of playing
George Lawton

copyright 1906!

I'd love to read a 101 year old handicapping book, but at $262.45 I'll have pass for now.

Greyfox
09-16-2007, 11:28 PM
Just noticed this on abebooks:

"The art of winning, or, How to make turf speculation successful: In three parts... ; including an explication of a new method of handicapping and four new and original systems of playing
George Lawton

copyright 1906!

I'd love to read a 101 year old handicapping book, but at $262.45 I'll have pass for now.

Oh my God. George Lawton. Not the George Lawton. I just won $524.90
on his method the other day. That was at Sagebrush Downs. Gads.

saevena
09-17-2007, 10:35 AM
This book has, obviously, been around a long time. A copy of it at the Library of Congress is missing; however, the next time you are in Las Vegas, you can look at the book in the Special Collections Department of the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. I, frankly, couldn't make heads or tails of the book. Hope anyone who reads it, can.

GaryG
09-17-2007, 01:05 PM
I had a copy of a Robert Saunders Dowst book from 1936 until my last divorce. He was a crusty old bird that advocated betting highly consistent horses (30% win and 50% ITM) with only little regard for other factors. Even today that is not bad advice.

Bill Olmsted
09-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Horseplayers overlook consistency--that staid old factor that is still alive and well. I'd say it's about 40% of the game.

NoDayJob
09-17-2007, 02:59 PM
Oh my God. George Lawton. Not the George Lawton. I just won $524.90
on his method the other day. That was at Sagebrush Downs. Gads.

Where's Sagebrush Downs? What's the track abbreviation so that I can add it to list that I compiled? Not Sage and Sand T C; they don't have an ironman the last time I checked. Heh, heh! :D

Handiman
09-18-2007, 11:09 AM
I have a very dear friend who was a librarian at UNLV for 20 years. She just retired this spring. So next time I'm in Vegas, I'll have her take me over there and see if I can't get ahold of the book and read it.

Handi

46zilzal
09-18-2007, 11:35 AM
Where's Sagebrush Downs? What's the track abbreviation so that I can add it to list that I compiled? Not Sage and Sand T C; they don't have an ironman the last time I checked.
here..http://www.theracingjournal.com/info/track.php?track_id=68

banacek
09-18-2007, 11:49 AM
Where's Sagebrush Downs? What's the track abbreviation so that I can add it to list that I compiled? Not Sage and Sand T C; they don't have an ironman the last time I checked. Heh, heh! :D

Abbreviation is Kam (And I hope you didn't forget Whoop-up Downs!)

Maxspa
09-19-2007, 08:13 AM
All,
Wednesday, the 19th of September! I've never seen so many systems available on e-bay! Some titles and authors, I've never even heard of. Even Donnie who has a terrific library, may find one he hasn't heard about!
Maxspa

Donnie
09-19-2007, 09:01 PM
Banacek---
Somebody bought that book!!!! YIKES!!! It appears it is no longer listed on Abebooks!! Trully amazing!!!

Funny, Max.....for some reason I don't have a whole lot of interest in those systems out on Ebay.....(this is my main bookshelf of horseracing books/systems/tapes...yes, there is another <sigh>).....

http://home.mchsi.com/~mrdon45/Books.jpg

banacek
09-19-2007, 09:28 PM
Banacek---
Somebody bought that book!!!! YIKES!!! It appears it is no longer listed on Abebooks!! Trully amazing!!!

My bet is that it was Dave Schwartz!:)

Impressive collection. Mine might even be bigger - god where did I get all that stuff. And apparently you have doubles and triples of some!

Donnie
09-19-2007, 10:32 PM
Banacek--
Not by choice in the doubles....they were thrown in on "lots" I won on Ebay. I have another cabinet full......and the bottom shelf of that bookcase is also full.......
I wonder too, where did I get all this stuff??
This is what the wife says she will pack up and take to Goodwill if I pass unexpectedly.

NoDayJob
09-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Abbreviation is Kam (And I hope you didn't forget Whoop-up Downs!)

Kamloops, eh? Yeah, I forgot. Lethbridge aka Whoop-up Downs. I won't bother to include them as AKA's. Thanks!

banacek
09-19-2007, 11:01 PM
I wonder too, where did I get all this stuff??
This is what the wife says she will pack up and take to Goodwill if I pass unexpectedly.

Your wife sounds a lot like mine!

Donnie
09-20-2007, 07:54 AM
My bad!! That book is still out there...I didn't scroll down far enough. Whew! For a second there I thought maybe someone actually thought you could apply principles from the early 1900's to today's races!! :faint:

banacek
04-29-2008, 04:20 PM
Well, I got a won of this on ebay a couple weeks ago (for $28)....just got it today. Certainly a conversation piece..especially when he has a complete workout of the Haines finance system (just one the systems - basically a due-column from first glance) for the Jamaica meeting of 1904.

Getting a kick out of it..some interesting comments throughout. 1 in 3 favourites win..that must have been true in Roman times..

And if I would like I can ask the author a question through the publisher, but a 2-cent stamp must be enclosed!