PDA

View Full Version : Target Breeders Cup as Date for Resolution and Open Access

NoCal Boy
09-15-2007, 12:39 AM
The Breeders Cup is open to all ADW's regardless of where it is held. I suggest we rally around the idea that a resolution to this ADW fiasco with signal access be achieved by the Breeders Cup in late October. The BC races will have open access and can commence and springboard racing into a new era in the ever increasingly important ADW.

With the BC races as a guide, there will be shared signals on the telephone and internet. TV exclusives can continue as may be agreed upon, but no more wagering exclusivity. The Hollywood Park and Churchill Downs will be commencing shortly thereafter, followed by Fair Grounds around Thanksgiving. Perfect timing and a national stage to show cooperation.

Put aside the blame game. The rhetoric on all sides is ridiculous and people who understand what is going on with TVG and TrackNet simply do not need the rhetoric. I doubt many place much credence on the public statements.

The Breeders Cup is racings day to shine. Wouldn't it be wonderful to use it as a springboard to open access for all ADW's.

All I ask is WHY NOT? It seems a perfect time to showcase the industry.

betovernetcapper
09-15-2007, 01:01 AM
I think that's great if we've got a deal, but without a deal, I prefer the day be a lot less pleasent.

HorseRun
09-15-2007, 01:31 AM
The Breeders Cup is now 2 days long, and the 1st day has only 3 BC Races, out of 10 , should be interesting as Monmouth is a TVG Exclusive, they wouldnt block the 1st 7 races and show just the Breeders Cup would they :mad:

Any ADW Open Access needs to be agreed by the Wednesday October 24, 2007, 4 day Breeders Cup Meet at Monmouth Park if you want my 2 cents

NoCal Boy
09-15-2007, 01:58 AM
Wise thinking.

Indulto
09-15-2007, 02:42 AM
BONC

Great job. I have also corresponded and spoken with prominent horsemen leaders and they are poised to do something to resolve this now. TVG probably is seeing the light now that horsemen are ratcheting up the pressure and are unwilling to sign more exclusive contracts in the surrent structure.

The solution in my opinion is to acknowledge that TV distribution is important and does cost money to undertake. For this reason, TV exclusivity makes sense. It is a waste of channel space, and very cost ineffective, for Santa Anita to be on both TVG and HRTV. Same with NYRA and Del Mar. However, wagering exclusivity and a/v exclusivity on the internet is NOT acceptable. TVG.com, Youbet.com, Xpressbet.com, Brisbet.com, et al should have all signals and all a/v rights. These entities should pay a percentage of their commissions to the TV provider for that track. If Youbet takes a wager on SA, they should pay HRTV a certain fee based on handle. If YB takes a wager on NYRA, they should pay TVG a certain fee based on handle. Same goes with every other ADW.

The goal should be to generate as much handle and revenues as possible for the tracks and horsemen. Rates must be set high enough to generate the revenues, but reasonable enough to incent the ADW providers to provide the services necessary to generate handles and introsuce new people to ADW. High handles with low signal fees does little, but high signal fees with lower handles is not good either. There is a middle ground that should work for tracks, horsemen and ADW provider.

ADW is the only future growth for this industry. Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves.

Alfortish means business. All business. I expect this to be resolved very soon, likely before Hollywood Park's Fall meet and Churchill Downs fall meet. HP is now non-exclusive. It makes so much sense.

Wouldn't it be nice if the BC in late October, which is open to all ADW's, is the start of the new day of open access for ADW's. Commencing with the BC races, no more wagering and a/v internet exclusivity. Wouldn't that be something!!NCB,
By HP did you mean Hollywood Park? There was a blurb somewhere several months ago to the effect that HOL would NOT be taking the Breeder’s Cup signal this year without live racing, but I haven’t tracked it down yet. As things stand now, I doubt all will be roses by BC day. What are the chances that PTC with conditional wagering will get the BC signal?

I agree that wagering should be separated from TV, but I disagree that TV should be funded by a percentage of handle as opposed to a flat fee. Exclusivity for TV could compromise live race presentation quality and scheduling. Why should talking heads be funded by those who don’t want them? Many would prefer live paddock inspections, equipment changes, and post parades to questionable opinions and tiresome personalities.The Breeders Cup is open to all ADW's regardless of where it is held. I suggest we rally around the idea that a resolution to this ADW fiasco with signal access be achieved by the Breeders Cup in late October. The BC races will have open access and can commence and springboard racing into a new era in the ever increasingly important ADW.

With the BC races as a guide, there will be shared signals on the telephone and internet. TV exclusives can continue as may be agreed upon, but no more wagering exclusivity. The Hollywood Park and Churchill Downs will be commencing shortly thereafter, followed by Fair Grounds around Thanksgiving. Perfect timing and a national stage to show cooperation.

Put aside the blame game. The rhetoric on all sides is ridiculous and people who understand what is going on with TVG and TrackNet simply do not need the rhetoric. I doubt many place much credence on the public statements.

The Breeders Cup is racings day to shine. Wouldn't it be wonderful to use it as a springboard to open access for all ADW's.

All I ask is WHY NOT? It seems a perfect time to showcase the industry.You have access to racing insiders that I don’t, but I think your optimism that the situation will resolve itself without outside pressure from horseplayers is misplaced.

There needs to be a statement made that OPEN ACCESS to wagering opportunities, wagering interfaces, late-changing pre-race information, AND easily-observed/comprehensive live viewing and replays are what customers want. That said, I find your posts thought-provoking and informative. :ThmbUp:

JustRalph
09-15-2007, 05:16 AM
The Breeders Cup is now 2 days long, and the 1st day has only 3 BC Races, out of 10 , should be interesting as Monmouth is a TVG Exclusive, they wouldnt block the 1st 7 races and show just the Breeders Cup would they :mad:

I don't think they normally show any of it.................

HorseRun
09-15-2007, 11:10 AM
i mean allow wagering on the day

NoCal Boy
09-15-2007, 11:24 AM
The actual mechanics of who gets what can be left to those involved, but the idea that the TV distributor, be it TVG or HRTV, should get some additional compensation needs to be recognized before any deal is reached.

As for a resolution, I agree that PTC as a licensed ADW should have full access, however, my guess is a deal that gets TVG and Youbet the TrackNet signals and Tracknet the TVG signals is first and foremost the goal. TVG and Youbet/IRG bring in excess of $1 Billion in handle to the table, and XpressBet/ATab and Twinspires bring several hundred million of handle as well. Resolve the issues between TVG and TrackNet, and the other much smaller ADW's like PTC should benefit. But I highly doubt the smaller ADW's like PTC are players at the table at the moment. This is a TVG and TrackNet matter first and foremost.

betovernetcapper
09-15-2007, 12:44 PM
A couple of points. In my conversation with Sean Alfortish he mentioned the Claiming Crown as an example of what could be done when the industry cooperates. Everyone carried it and everyone got to bet it. Except it wasn't on my ADW's menu and as a player I'd requested it.
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38167&highlight=claiming+crown
Who know if PTC will be given the Breeder's Cup?

In the petition we all signed it says:
We demand that all licensed racetracks, simulcast facilities and ADWs
be accorded immediate access to all simulcast signals at rates that are fair and equitable to all, the tracks, the horseman, and the players. Let the customers decide who to reward with their business.
We said all and I think we should push for all, but even if that were the case, given PTCs limited menu I'm sure they are at parity with XpressBet and TwinSpires on the tracks each carries. Give them all the signals and who knows.

Indulto
09-15-2007, 07:12 PM
... In the petition we all signed it says:
We demand that all licensed racetracks, simulcast facilities and ADWs
be accorded immediate access to all simulcast signals at rates that are fair and equitable to all, the tracks, the horseman, and the players. Let the customers decide who to reward with their business.
We said all and I think we should push for all, but even if that were the case, given PTCs limited menu I'm sure they are at parity with XpressBet and TwinSpires on the tracks each carries. Give them all the signals and who knows.I agree 100%

While I would never minimize the importance of being able to watch racing live, what really sells conditional wagering is its ability to allow one to fit racing comfortably into one's lifestyle and schedule. That's the future of racing, NOT the TVG programming model.

IMO the reason TVG has not attracted significantly more new racing fans is that they emphasize audio over visual and horse's a$$es over horses' action. ;)

I'd pay for a combination of channels/webcasts I could automatically switch to get:
Live Races (in full screen mode for webcasts)
Real-Time, pre-race paddock inspection/post parade
On-Demand race replays with head-ons and gate loads
On-demand prior race paddock inspections
On demand tutorials for how to watch races and identify trouble line component problems/excuses.

Could some group profitably make "hidden horse" or troubled-trip videos for every horse in every race? There's just so much more interesting things to watch than talking heads.

How about:
Prior encounters between rematched opponents
Before and after videos of successful equipment changes
Trainer-narrated workouts and jockey-narrated close calls Stride analysis of the same horse on different surfaces?

Maybe there are statistics that prove that verbal pre-race handicapping analysis hikes betting handle, but I think focusing on equine activity would be more compelling for would-be and existing bettors alike.