PDA

View Full Version : Case The Race!

Maxspa
09-14-2007, 09:35 PM
All,
This must be the week for finding new Handicapping Approaches! On Friday nights, I sometimes will tune in to "Thorobred Connection" on the web! Tonight John Hernandez and Dick Harbin invited Tim Schultz and Mike Ramelot to discuss a handicapping approach called "CASE". This term "CASE" represents the following:
C= Coordination
A= Aerobic Efficiency
S= Stride Quality
E= Endurance
Using the above situations, horses are assigned a number for each category and an average final numerical rating is given.
The web site for this very different approach is www.casetherace.com
They will give you two free West Coast reports using their approach!
I thought this might be of interest to our PA members!
Maxspa

kenwoodallpromos
09-15-2007, 06:32 AM
CASE- nice to find! I understand bloodstock agents look for that too, but the horse has to produce through training, stay heallthy, and be placed in races properly, like in Barbaro's case through the KY Derby.

Maxspa
09-15-2007, 07:47 AM
Ken,
According to Friday night's discussion, the company is multifaceted, in that, they are involved with providing information for breeders, horse purchasers and handicapping. This is a high tech group and a mention of as many as 80 pictures of a horses stride are sometimes analyzed by the members.
Maxspa

burt
09-27-2007, 09:52 PM
hey max have you tried this program yet? would sure like to hear your results from useing the program. thanks burt

Maxspa
09-27-2007, 10:22 PM
Burt,
I've received one Fairplex Card and today Santa Anita's Oak Tree Races! I will give a review in a couple of days! As per directions given by the originators, these reports are to used in conjunction with your handicapping approach!
Max

shanta
09-27-2007, 10:59 PM
I have seen 3 cards. 1 at Fpx and 2 at Santa Anita.

Got interested when Maxpa spoke of aerobic and endurance.

Their "avg" fig number is tremendous when evaluating sprint races of all distances. I mean like REALLY strong.

Routes seem to be giving extra credit to the VERY slow Dmr run route races. Might be my opposing style of capping them. Also if I changed my interpretation of what I am seeing opinion easily can be reversed.

In other words they say a very slow run route the horse showed tremendous this and good that. If I take that and move to another more realistic pace and factor their good eval of that slow race now things change :)

Turf is mixed bag so far leaning toward not good.

ALL of what is posted above is based SOLELY on the "avg" or total number combining the 4 factors Max stated.

I have NOT broken anything down regarding individual factor analysis matching up with dis/surface. Probably some good stuff there man.

Spoke by email twice with one of the dudes there and he was VERY responsive and honest with his feedback.

I would give them a look ESPECIALLY the sprints. Thanks "Max" :)
Fwiw
Richie

46zilzal
09-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Aerobic effieciency? Having to have gone through a ten year downhill course of COPD with my wife, I know a few things about oxygen transport and how it has to be measured and it REQUIRES a lot of testing over time or it is just a guess.

One needs to understand is the mechanism of 02 exchange adequate, first via blood flow to the lung, effective surface area of the lungs, tidal volume, residual volume etc., to make sure there is adequate tissue interface for 02 exchange. Then one has to establish is the blood composition capable to receive the 02 once captured by the lung looking at multiple parameters in both rest and stress tests. (Hgb, hematocrit, red cell structure, p02 etc) to see IF the 02 is getting to the blood, is the blood carrying the 02 arriving there. Once the 02 is in the blood, how is the tissue release?

To do this without significant medical intervention under set, controlled conditions is just a guess.

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Also, the effective chest wall mechanisms (elasticity of the rib cage as well as parenchymal tissues of the lungs) have to be established as well as the known neurological mechanisms behind respiratory musculature, bronchiolar patency (the very basis of obstructive lung disease, which can vary wildly between rest and exertion), how well ventilation matches perfusion, arterial blood gas and % hemoglobin saturation (that is if hemoglobin is both normal in structure and content of the red cell make up).

The variables are quite complex and without standards for age, weight, sex etc, not to mention the INTERNAL standards for the individual, it is a difficult thing to even approximate unless multiple tests, both at rest and at a standard stress level, are taken over time.

These folks may have an accurate measuring number they want to call aerobic efficiency, but it is tertiary at best.

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 12:54 AM
The definitive work on equine biomechanics is by Dr. James Rooney "The Biomechanics of Lameness." available here:http://www.amazon.com/Biomechanics-Lameness-Horses-James-Rooney/dp/0702003077

Another is here. http://www.amazon.com/Lame-Horse-James-R-Rooney/dp/0929346556

Rooney is the best around in this regard and anyone wanting a better understanding of quadraped locomotion, particularly going through the gaits from walking to canter to gallop, this is the source to read.

THE BLOODHORSE used to advertise a company which would utilize computer analysis of your horse's gait and provide you with an efficiency index. Seemed to be very popular with two year old sales babies.

shoelessjoe
09-28-2007, 06:32 AM
I must have gotten into the Web MD site by mistake.Shoeless

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 11:29 AM
Oh my "Fish for sale!"

How could stride quality, the inherent biomechanical makeup of an individual based upon anatomical interactions with the weight bearing surface, CHANGE race to race? At our sports biomechanics lab, runners have the same bones, muscles, tendons, neuromuscular interaction, weight, etc. from session to session and, what do you know???, their readouts in that lab don't vary more than sampling error from session to session unless we interact with bracing.

Also motion analysis CHANGES as the individual matures gains musculature and has better coordination not to mention how "wear and tear" can alter any of these parameters. So what is there in these two year old evaluation studies might not be close to what is the racing reality later on. MATURATION and damage change both.

ANOTHER component entitled one thing, measuring quite another.

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 11:42 AM
Coordination is a neurological feedback mechanism that doesn't change either unless by disease or injury. It is based upon interaction between peripheral receptors and the cerebellum and unless there is a significant injury, it stays the same, qualitatively, throughout life.

Damage to the cerebellum can lead to: 1) loss of coordination of motor movement (asynergia), 2) the inability to judge distance and when to stop (dysmetria), 3) the inability to perform rapid alternating movements (adiadochokinesia), 4) movement tremors (intention tremor), 5) staggering, wide based walking (ataxic gait), 6) tendency toward falling, 7) weak muscles (hypotonia), 8) slurred speech (ataxic dysarthria), and 9) abnormal eye movements (nystagmus).

Another factor mis-labeled.......

russowen77
09-28-2007, 12:30 PM
They are a biomechanics company. I use one like them a good bit. most use around 40 static points of measurement. Mainly used to track phenotype. The static stuff is ok but the dynamic measurements are much more important. NOt as important as an ECG imo (well-if you are trying to breed a horse to race and not to sell).

It is valuable to breeders for the sales ring. If done correctly you can eliminate some conformation errors and that is the name of the sales game. Outcrossing to the same body type is usually more effective than other types that trying to breed across type.

I use it to keep away gremlins. For example I wouldn't want to breed(make that my clients) F. Pegasus to any mare that had long pasterns.

Artificial surfaces are also changing things. I sure hope they can get one that allows the smaller footed TB to stay valid.

Greyfox
09-28-2007, 01:25 PM
Aerobic effieciency?
To do this without significant medical intervention under set, controlled conditions is just a guess.

:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
Good points here and in your other posts on this thread 46z...
I'd be cautious here. If they're onto something great.
In the meanwhile, beware of snake oil salesmen.
I'll wait and see how this unfolds.

russowen77
09-28-2007, 02:05 PM
The definitive work on equine biomechanics is by Dr. James Rooney "The Biomechanics of Lameness." available here:http://www.amazon.com/Biomechanics-Lameness-Horses-James-Rooney/dp/0702003077

Another is here. http://www.amazon.com/Lame-Horse-James-R-Rooney/dp/0929346556

Rooney is the best around in this regard and anyone wanting a better understanding of quadraped locomotion, particularly going through the gaits from walking to canter to gallop, this is the source to read.

THE BLOODHORSE used to advertise a company which would utilize computer analysis of your horse's gait and provide you with an efficiency index. Seemed to be very popular with two year old sales babies.

Outcrossers love the stuff. I think the video analysis of their movement is way better than the static measurements. You can get whole or partial packages. There is not enough data to tell yet but there have sure been some successes. I wish I could get a better source for ECGs but they cost a tone. Heart size is the number one indicator of whether you might have a stakes winner.

The trouble is there are lots of factors influencing breeding selection. One that people forget is just birth rank. The early ones perform better usually. I still don't have a clue if it really matters that much to handicappers.

46zilzal
09-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Heart size is the number one indicator of whether you might have a stakes winner.

The trouble is there are lots of factors influencing breeding selection. One that people forget is just birth rank. The early ones perform better usually. I still don't have a clue if it really matters that much to handicappers.

I was impressed with the genetic correlation of heart function and the X factor.

Think about it: each egg migrated to the ovary from progenitor cells during gestation. Those eggs are as old as the female carrying them, so the "younger" of them would have less free radical damage. THAT is except in the case of Somethingroyal.

russowen77
09-28-2007, 03:04 PM
I was impressed with the genetic correlation of heart function and the X factor.

Think about it: each egg migrated to the ovary from progenitor cells during gestation. Those eggs are as old as the female carrying them, so the "younger" of them would have less free radical damage. THAT is except in the case of Somethingroyal.
That is one hell of an analysis. I always thought it was just because the mare is put through too much stress. The big guys can rest a mare over a season and let her recover some. That would be difficult for most horseman. However, your rap is going into my standard line of BS I promise. It has some sound basis. Few know the eggs are ther from the start. Man I like that take. It could help my buisness some for sure. Thanks a lot.