PDA

View Full Version : Just can't get it either!

Michael
09-13-2007, 05:00 PM
Hopefully someone here with some knowledge of infotran, pkzip, and the bris data files can help me out. To make a long story short: "I have no clue what I'm doing," and while I can't offer monetary support for your help, I do have a gift to give someone for their time. (2007 Track stats book for the NY Circurit) Just pm me your address, and I'll pay the shipping.

I'd really appreciate someones help,
Michael

Here's my current situation:

I'm pretty sure the only thing I'm missing at the moment is the "know-how" to figure this out! Meaning, I have the Data file (still unzipped, mnr Sept 15), and have already downloaded pkzip and infotran.

Here's my understanding thus far:

I'm supposed to un-zip the bris data file using that pkzip program. Then place the "new" unziped file into the infotran folder.

From there:

I open up itf.exe
press any key on the first prompt
Type in pdf3pp.brs as the control file
Then type in the name of the unzipped data file. (ie. mnrXXXX.DRF)
Type in MNR091507.txt
Type in A for all
Type in N for no
Then N for no on the quotation marks.
My question's would be:

How Do I unzip the zipped data file?
Is the above understanding correct?
Assuming I can do all of this correct....will this actually allow me to import the pp info into excel?

46zilzal
09-13-2007, 06:15 PM
Windows XP has a function where you simply right click and an option dialog opens to unzip the file with the screens to direct you to where the files in the zipped file will be written. Extract all.

michiken
09-13-2007, 06:35 PM
A free, high quality unzip program is called IZArch (http://www.izarc.org/download.html)

It integrates into the windows shell so you can just click on the file and 'extract to here'

It also supports tar, gunzip, rar and many other file compression formats.

richrosa
09-13-2007, 08:35 PM
Ken,

Since when do you use Windows? I thought you were one of us guys.

I stopped remembering the Windows stuff a while ago.

In linux, all the zip stuff is free!

Tom
09-13-2007, 09:10 PM
Here's my understanding thus far:

I'm supposed to un-zip the bris data file using that pkzip program. Then place the "new" unziped file into the infotran folder.

From there:

I open up itf.exe
press any key on the first prompt
Type in pdf3pp.brs as the control file
Then type in the name of the unzipped data file. (ie. mnrXXXX.DRF)
Type in MNR091507.txt
Type in A for all
Type in N for no
Then N for no on the quotation marks.
My question's would be:

How Do I unzip the zipped data file?
Is the above understanding correct?
Assuming I can do all of this correct....will this actually allow me to import the pp info into excel?

BINGO! you ahve it down.
What youwill get in the output *.txt file is a comma delimited file of all the fields in the control file, one line for each record (-111 is a signal to start a new line).
To get it into Excel, you can use the Improt data?test file option, or you can use Excel to open the file, tell it that the file is comma delimited, etc. You can import directly into Access as well.

Feel free to email ro PM with quesitons - I use Infortan a lot and would be happy to help.

Good luck.

Michael
09-16-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the help fellas... Very impressed by the knowledge of the members here.

Still trying to figure this thing out though.... I believe my problem at the moment is with using pkzip. Do I even need to use it? How does it even work?

I tried the "Right click -> extract all" method, and dumped the file into the infotran folder. Did the whole pdf3pp.brs, mnr0915.drf, mnr091507.txt, A, N, N, N, thing..... and ended up with it saying:

" Bad File Name in line 0 of module ITF4 At Adress ODF2:OE60"

Any Ideas?

michiken
09-16-2007, 05:05 PM
Ken, Since when do you use Windows?! The IT droids at work MADE ME DO IT!

Tom
09-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks for the help fellas... Very impressed by the knowledge of the members here.

Still trying to figure this thing out though.... I believe my problem at the moment is with using pkzip. Do I even need to use it? How does it even work?

I tried the "Right click -> extract all" method, and dumped the file into the infotran folder. Did the whole pdf3pp.brs, mnr0915.drf, mnr091507.txt, A, N, N, N, thing..... and ended up with it saying:

" Bad File Name in line 0 of module ITF4 At Adress ODF2:OE60"

Any Ideas?

Did you type in the source file name ( the one you unzipped) exactly as it appears in the directory? ie, bel0907.drf?

Also, try re-installing ITF - double click the infortran.exe file, and answer Y to each overwrite? promtp. Might be courrupted. I can't duplicate your error message. Might be in the file itself.

Michael
09-16-2007, 05:59 PM
Yep, typed in the source file exactly the way it appears. (it actually appears as "MNR0915") I tried typing it in with the "dot drf" and with out the dot drf....
not sure what else to do....

Tried that re-install thing too..... clicked all Y's across the board.... then tried again....

I'm going to try on another computer in my basement... Crossing my fingers!

will post how it goes!

Michael
09-16-2007, 06:01 PM
Hey Tom,

Do I even need to use PK ZIP?

Michael
09-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks Tom.... (sending over a pm)

I finally got it!!!
For what ever reason, infotran wasn't working on my laptop.

My Thanks,
Michael