PDA

View Full Version : FYI- attrition rate

kenwoodallpromos
09-13-2007, 04:03 PM
Thoroughbred Injury Attrition Rate

An open letter to NTRA, TRA, Jockey Club, TOBA, and the Thoroughbred media:

I have been studying Thoroughbred injury issues and information for several years, but have never run accross a statistic for the injury attrition rate until now. I had suspected 20%; But the website "EQB" (agents and consultants) states the rate of reduction or ending racing due to injury is 25%.
I am aware of a number of conjectured reasons for racehorse injuries, and have seen limited studies in the USA and elsewhere over several decades.
The reason I am sending this open letter is that I believe there needs to be a very conprehensive study of the statistics and circumstances for Thoroughbreds in training being injuries sufficiently to cause early retirement of top horses, as well as the steady decline of average starts per year and the perception that there is weakening of the breed and overworking and overdrugging of Thoroughbred racers.
I believe that a comprehensive study involving all tracks would benefit not only the horses and bettors/fans, but will be good PR and good for the business of breeders and the tracks.Thank you for your time.

Kelso
09-13-2007, 10:10 PM
I believe that a comprehensive study involving all tracks would benefit not only the horses and bettors/fans, but will be good PR and good for the business of breeders and the tracks.Thank you for your time.

Great cause, Ken; for the animals, the industry and the fans who hate seeing that damned curtain go up. (Although, with reduced injuries probably leading to lowered demand ... I gotta wonder if the breeders have a conflicting interest here.) Keep at 'em!

kenwoodallpromos
09-14-2007, 01:45 AM
IMO, less TBreds leaving due to injuries means more can leave due to bad behavior or being too slow!!
If true that 25% have significant injuries, and maybe 5% leave per year for breeding (especially females) and Misc.; accounts ofr 3% more; that adds up to 33% per year leaving racing!
With durability now being monitored statistically by Bloodhorse, breeders need to keep as many as healthy as possible of their own stallions' prodigy!

kenwoodallpromos
09-14-2007, 02:01 AM
http://www.bloodhorse.com/pdf/StallionDurabilityList.pdf
Mabilu Moon for instance, has a very high foal to starter rate, but a very low (10.0) average starts per starter. Some of the sires listed with stud fees of $40k have low average offspring starts, yet some of the studs going for $5k or less have on the high side into the 20.0+ average starts per starter.